On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

erod

Reaction score
Well that's what happens when you have a terrible offense and playbook. Even Aaron Rodgers can't play in a crappy offense.

Seriously?

Romo went up and down the field with ease in this offense. Scored a bajillion points.

Rodgers would cruise into the Super Bowl with this offense and playbook.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean but you've seen Ryan play.....he and Matt Stafford are the kings of padding stats when they have no shot of winning. Its almost like Ryan has him and Julio on fantasy.

But in your own argument you said he didn't have a run game and Barnwell says he lights it up in garbage time. So of course his stats look great. If you can't run then you are passing the football which is why you have great stats and only have 7 wins. But it is a red flag when he couldn't even get a W against ANY of the playoff team she faced last year. He managed to light it up against the bad teams and win though.

If you can't run the ball it's tougher to pass. We've seen that in Dallas when Dak has scuffled at times when he doesn't have a solid run game to stand on.

The disrespect for Ryan around here is hilarious and it often comes from the big Dak fan boy crowd, which is hardly surprising. Their method of supporting Dak is often to take pot shots at other QBs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Seriously?

Romo went up and down the field with ease in this offense. Scored a bajillion points.

Rodgers would cruise into the Super Bowl with this offense and playbook.
Last time we saw Romo in this offense in 2015 before this same offense got him hurt he had 5 touchdowns and 7 interceptions with a CBR of 79.4

Hardly lighting it up. Rodgers didn't even make the playoffs last season with a better playbook and a offense catered around him so how in the world would he do better here lol? Are you just saying dumb stuff to prove how bad Dak is? I'm not even sure why you are even comparing Dak to Aaron Rodgers anyway.

erod

Reaction score
Last time we saw Romo in this offense in 2015 before this same offense got him hurt he had 5 touchdowns and 7 interceptions with a CBR of 79.4

Hardly lighting it up. Rodgers didn't even make the playoffs last season with a better playbook and a offense catered around him so how in the world would he do better here lol? Are you just saying dumb stuff to prove how bad Dak is? I'm not even sure why you are even comparing Dak to Aaron Rodgers anyway.

They were 3-1 with Romo in 2015.

They were 1-11 without him.

Try again, champ.

And the Packers personnel was pathetic last year. This is one of the best rosters in football here.

Sydla

Reaction score

Romo played injured that year, especially the two games later in the year when he tried to come back. Hardly a fair comparison.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The problem is people try to over-analyze the pay.

Reality is the QB position is valued this highly. Dak is the only person on the roster that if he went down we would literally have zero chance of winning 10 games.

With players like Goff, Mahomes, Newton, and Watson getting deals right after Dak, Dak getting top 3 money isn't crazy since he could potentially be not even top 10 in salary year 2 of a 5 year deal with the first 4 years starting basically being free........

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you can't run the ball it's tougher to pass. We've seen that in Dallas when Dak has scuffled at times when he doesn't have a solid run game to stand on.

The disrespect for Ryan around here is hilarious and it often comes from the big Dak fan boy crowd, which is hardly surprising. Their method of supporting Dak is often to take pot shots at other QBs.
If you can't run the football doesn't that mean teams are selling out to stop your run because they don't respect your pass? That's the argument I hear in regards to Dak anyway.

And no my disrespect for Ryan is I personally want a winner. Some guys you can tell who have it and some don't. I don't respect stat padders. I don't respect the guy who puts up great stats in 9+ plus losses. I never have. Even when Romo was here. If Romo put up 230 yards and a touchdown and won't the game that meant more to me than 400 passing yards 5 touchdowns 1 pick and losing.

But these guys like Stafford, Ryan, Jay Cutler.....you hear every excuse in the book for why they can't win and its everyones fault but their won despite them playing with arguably the best receivers of all time. Matt Ryan deserves respect because his offensive line sucks but its good enough for him to throw for 500 yards. If you want to argue who's better between him or Dak there's no argument. A 34 year old Matt Ryan is better than a 26 year old Dak. Hell Matt Ryan is better than Wentz or Goff too. But that doesn't warrant respect.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. I wonder does that type of thinking go into why they want to get the deal done? Because at face value it does look a lot better than you committing 33 million a year even though its essentially the same thing.

It sure seems that when when they're signing these players to "extensions" rather than new deals. You pay more now for the ability to pay a lot less later. The recent Wentz and Michael Thomas deals seem to be clear examples of it. They look great at first glance, but much team friendlier after closer inspection.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo played injured that year, especially the two games later in the year when he tried to come back. Hardly a fair comparison.
He was not hurt those first 2 games and got hurt in the 3rd one if I remember correctly and was just outright terrible in the Panthers game. Probably played that one hurt.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dak will get closer to the MVP then Ryan this season. Mark it down.
I agree because we pretty much know Matt Ryan will put up great stats that will lead to a 7-9 or 8-8 season. Basically the Jason Garrett of quarterbacks. Well Jason the coach anyway lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It sure seems that when when they're signing these players to "extensions" rather than new deals. You pay more now for the ability to pay a lot less later. The recent Wentz and Michael Thomas deals seem to be clear examples of it. They look great at first glance, but much team friendlier after closer inspection.
Yeah which I guess is why you even do the extension to begin with. In part why I think this deal gets done. If both sides don't budge even minimally this deal may not get done this season. I don't think either side wants that to happen though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak will get closer to the MVP then Ryan this season. Mark it down.

Even if that were somehow true (and let me know when "close" counts!), how does that change the fact that your claims about Ryan were totally off-base and uninformed? You talked before you looked at the actual numbers or thought it through. And then when the numbers proved you wrong, you tried to attack the numbers. One mistake followed by another.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They were 3-1 with Romo in 2015.

They were 1-11 without him.

Try again, champ.

And the Packers personnel was pathetic last year. This is one of the best rosters in football here.

Oh what?! I thought elite quarterbacks don't need elite talent around them?

And Romo was 3-1 in 2015? I thought "wins" were a "team" stat? Interesting turn of events lol. So wins aren't a team stat anymore and elite qb's do need elite talent round them?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah which I guess is why you even do the extension to begin with. In part why I think this deal gets done. If both sides don't budge even minimally this deal may not get done this season. I don't think either side wants that to happen though.

I certainly don't think Dak or his agent will have the resolve to risk it all playing for $2 million this season. That and two years of franchise tags are the Cowboys ultimate ace in the hole.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The problem is people try to over-analyze the pay.

Reality is the QB position is valued this highly. Dak is the only person on the roster that if he went down we would literally have zero chance of winning 10 games.

With players like Goff, Mahomes, Newton, and Watson getting deals right after Dak, Dak getting top 3 money isn't crazy since he could potentially be not even top 10 in salary year 2 of a 5 year deal with the first 4 years starting basically being free........
Thank you. Someone gets it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They are absolutely worth it if they are good. A guy like Dak (unless proven wrong) I'd rather let walk and start over again. A guy like Tom Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, Stafford, Rivers, Luck, Big Ben, Brees and Ryan all deserve any amount of money they can get. A guy like Dak I would never give a large chunk of salary cap space to. I would rather roll with a cheap rookie than Dak at a large long term contract. Dak is not going to win a super bowl. If he ever wins a super bowl it's going to be a Trent Dilfer type of win. Never in a million years did Trent Dilfer ever deserve to be paid a huge chunk of Salary Cap space.

I fully understand what you're saying. QBs get paid whatever chunk of salary cap space. Salary Cap goes up every year so that means QBs contracts will also go up. It's simple. It's not hard to understand.
At this point Dak has not proven to be worth taking up such a large chunk of salary cap space. I hope he goes out this year and proves he is worth a huge chunk of salary cap space.

You have already been proven wrong on Dak. Guys like you just dont want to admit it.

Dak is 100% worth paying franchise money. And he is only in his 3rd year. But this conversation has been beaten to death. Some of you just dont get it. Just like some never got Romo.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I certainly don't think Dak or his agent will have the resolve to risk it all playing for $2 million this season. That and two years of franchise tags are the Cowboys ultimate ace in the hole.
Yeah but then that franchise tag being used up means you can't franchise anyone else. Which they may or may not care about. I'm not sure we have a candidate for the tag coming up aside from Zeke possibly and Jaylon whenever he becomes available.

Trendnet

Reaction score
You have already been proven wrong on Dak. Guys like you just dont want to admit it.

Dak is 100% worth paying franchise money. And he is only in his 3rd year. But this conversation has been beaten to death. Some of you just dont get it. Just like some never got Romo.

Agreed!

Dak is only missing by 'inches' on his throws now, instead of 'feet'.

Worth it.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you can't run the football doesn't that mean teams are selling out to stop your run because they don't respect your pass? That's the argument I hear in regards to Dak anyway.

And no my disrespect for Ryan is I personally want a winner. Some guys you can tell who have it and some don't. I don't respect stat padders. I don't respect the guy who puts up great stats in 9+ plus losses. I never have. Even when Romo was here. If Romo put up 230 yards and a touchdown and won't the game that meant more to me than 400 passing yards 5 touchdowns 1 pick and losing.

But these guys like Stafford, Ryan, Jay Cutler.....you hear every excuse in the book for why they can't win and its everyones fault but their won despite them playing with arguably the best receivers of all time. Matt Ryan deserves respect because his offensive line sucks but its good enough for him to throw for 500 yards. If you want to argue who's better between him or Dak there's no argument. A 34 year old Matt Ryan is better than a 26 year old Dak. Hell Matt Ryan is better than Wentz or Goff too. But that doesn't warrant respect.

Ryan has won nearly 60% of his games, has only had 2 losing seasons out of 9 in Atlanta, has made a SB, etc. He has put up great seasons and won games such as 2012 and 2016, when he was MVP and the Falcons made the playoffs.

To say he's not a "winner" is idiotic and preposterous and just further proves my point that you Dak guys just have to take pot shots at other QBs to make Dak look better. It's kind of embarrassing at this point.