On June 22, 2017 Derek Carr was signed a 5-year $125m contract extension

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but then that franchise tag being used up means you can't franchise anyone else. Which they may or may not care about. I'm not sure we have a candidate for the tag coming up aside from Zeke possibly and Jaylon whenever he becomes available.

That's my thinking. No better candidate to use it on than the quarterback. And just because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. Just that you can.

erod

Reaction score
Oh what?! I thought elite quarterbacks don't need elite talent around them?

And Romo was 3-1 in 2015? I thought "wins" were a "team" stat? Interesting turn of events lol. So wins aren't a team stat anymore and elite qb's do need elite talent round them?

That year, Dallas had the worst defensive team statistically in NFL history.

You're really not good at this.

LOL

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Falcons were 7-9, not because Ryan was average but because their run game fell apart and was bottom third of the league and their defense was also one of the worst in football giving up nearly 27 points per game. Blaming the Falcons record

And he was not "awful" against the Cowboys or the Saints. You aren't even being objective at this point.

The first time they played the Saints, he had a rating of 148 and the Falcons scored 37 points, only to have their defense give up 43. But yea, let's blame Ryan for that loss. In the second Saints game, he had a rating of 102 but the defense, again, gave up 31 points. Combined, in the two Saints games, he threw for 750 yards, completed over 70% of his passes, 7 TDs, 1 interception and had a rating of around 125. His defense though? Gave up 74 points. Oh and the Falcons run game? They ran for like 75 yards COMBINED in the two games. Ryan was basically the only reason those games weren't total blowouts.

You literally are just making things up now.
Even if that were somehow true (and let me know when "close" counts!), how does that change the fact that your claims about Ryan were totally off-base and uninformed? You talked before you looked at the actual numbers or thought it through. And then when the numbers proved you wrong, you tried to attack the numbers. One mistake followed by another.
Stop hating Stash. Dak is getting 35+. Listen I think he can be like Steve McNair. Tough and gritty quarterback.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agreed!

Dak is only missing by 'inches' on his throws now, instead of 'feet'.

Worth it.

Dak always seemed to connect fine where I am standing.

rookie of the year, 2 pro bowls, 3 winning seasons, two playoffs, one playoff win, played well in EVERY playoff game, most clutch QB in the NFL the last 3 years.

Inaccurate? LOL

Great, Ill take inaccurate then.

Sydla

Reaction score
He was not hurt those first 2 games and got hurt in the 3rd one if I remember correctly and was just outright terrible in the Panthers game. Probably played that one hurt.

He broke his collar bone in the 2nd game against Philly, I believe in the 3rd quarter. He was not ready to play when he came back later in the year and that was obvious.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
And if he doesn't, I suspect you'll come back with excuses for Dak and make stuff up about how Ryan played like you have in this thread.
Syd, I back Dak and am proud of it. That's my quarterback.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak always seemed to connect fine where I am standing.

rookie of the year, 2 pro bowls, 3 winning seasons, two playoffs, one playoff win, played well in EVERY playoff game, most clutch QB in the NFL the last 3 years.

Inaccurate? LOL

Great, Ill take inaccurate then.

LOL at still citing Pro Bowls as a big accomplishment when the last Pro Bowl, he was like the 7th choice in the NFC.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ryan has won nearly 60% of his games, has only had 2 losing seasons out of 9 in Atlanta, has made a SB, etc. He has put up great seasons and won games such as 2012 and 2016, when he was MVP and the Falcons made the playoffs.

To say he's not a "winner" is idiotic and preposterous and just further proves my point that you Dak guys just have to take pot shots at other QBs to make Dak look better. It's kind of embarrassing at this point.
How does saying Matt Ryan is not a winner make Dak look good lol? I get you are trying to create this whole "Dak guys" vs reality type argument but its paling on me. My opinion of Matt Ryan has nothing to do with Dak.

And Ryan has 3 seasons of losing records and 1 season of 8-8. His career is full of mediocrity and honestly since that Super Bowl run he's done nothing since. I didn't say he was a bad quarterback. He's top 10 in this league. I just said he's not a winner and a stat padder.

You're riding for Matt Ryan like you're claiming "Dak guys" are riding for Dak. What's the difference? You like Matt Ryan we like Dak. I wouldn't trade Dak for Matt Ryan but if I had Matt Ryan I wouldn't trade him or Dak if that makes sense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stop hating Stash. Dak is getting 35+. Listen I think he can be like Steve McNair. Tough and gritty quarterback.

Nobody's "hating", I'm disagreeing with bad arguments. That's all.

You don't need to try (and fail) to cut down Matt Ryan to make the case for Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
The problem is people try to over-analyze the pay.

Reality is the QB position is valued this highly. Dak is the only person on the roster that if he went down we would literally have zero chance of winning 10 games.

With players like Goff, Mahomes, Newton, and Watson getting deals right after Dak, Dak getting top 3 money isn't crazy since he could potentially be not even top 10 in salary year 2 of a 5 year deal with the first 4 years starting basically being free........

Again, you guys are missing the point.

If Dak was a great QB, paying him Top 3 money or Top 5 or the most isn't an issue.

The problem is Dak is closer to being an average NFL QB than a great one, so paying him Top 3 money matters in the sense that even if he's only the 8th highest paid QB in 3 years, he's still EATING UP A TON OF CAP SPACE.

Teams paying mediocre QBs a lot of money don't win a whole lot. That's the point.

khiladi

Reaction score
So Carr and Cooper and bring that magic they had last year to the Cowboys? Nice.

Again single coverage outside against stacked boxes because of Zeke, of course.. Dak sure proved he was mediocre with such basic looks..

Sydla

Reaction score
How does saying Matt Ryan is not a winner make Dak look good lol? I get you are trying to create this whole "Dak guys" vs reality type argument but its paling on me. My opinion of Matt Ryan has nothing to do with Dak.

And Ryan has 3 seasons of losing records and 1 season of 8-8. His career is full of mediocrity and honestly since that Super Bowl run he's done nothing since. I didn't say he was a bad quarterback. He's top 10 in this league. I just said he's not a winner and a stat padder.

You're riding for Matt Ryan like you're claiming "Dak guys" are riding for Dak. What's the difference? You like Matt Ryan we like Dak. I wouldn't trade Dak for Matt Ryan but if I had Matt Ryan I wouldn't trade him or Dak if that makes sense.

You are right about losing seasons. I missed the 6-10 season a few years ago.