One Draft Pick changes everything next year

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So tomorrow night when you are on your 7th beer watching the Dallas OL give up its 14th sack, fear not. For next year the team will be more talented than this year but with an offseason to learn the defense.

Next year the offense gets back three Pro Bowl level players, plus Jarwin, plus Martin is back this week. The best group of WRs in the NFL returns (Lamb will be even better) and the other two OL Williams and Biadasz will each be 24 years old but solid starters by that point. The major concern is obviously the OTs returning but nothing about Collins seems to show a long term problem and plenty of elite OTs have missed seasons like Tyron Smith – with Jason Peters (currently starting at age 38) a good example.

On defense the young DL will develop (Gallimore, Hill, Gregory, Anae), Aldon Smith likely returns and the DL will finally develop some continuity in the new scheme. Diggs will be playing at a #1 CB level next year after taking his lumps this year (while showing above average athletic skills).

The rest of the secondary will be rebuilt but one draft pick can completely change the landscape. Dallas looks to have a draft pick around the 5th to 10th spot, look at the players taken there in the last four years:

Pick 9 CJ Henderson, #6 Jamal Adams, #11 Marshon Lattimore, #5 Jalen Ramsey and #11 Minkah Fitzpatrick.

There are a ton of older veteran Safeties who could be signed to fill a spot in the secondary for a cap hit of 4 – 7 Million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/

The second round pick gets you a player who can join the secondary rotation at a minimum and probably start (Diggs, Awuzie, etc).

Another free agent (like Cam Fleming) and the third round pick gets you solid depth at OT. Recent 3rd round picks at OT range from decent backups to above average starters:

Pick 74 Geron Christian, #83 Orlando Brown, # Shon Coleman.

But most of the year to year improvement comes from both lines developing cohesion in a new system and the young players developing with more reps (like Schultz and Hill did this year).

Trolls, rev your engines.

But don’t say we will blow the draft picks after we got Lamb and Diggs this year with much later picks.

And don’t say we don’t have the cap space, even at a 175 Million cap and franchise tagging Prescott we still have 15 Million left over before any restructuring moves (Aldon Smith and conceivably Sean Lee are the only players in UFA we would want to resign).

They need to add a quality DT. A Daron Payne or Jonathan Allen type.

A veteran Safety in the 10M per range.

Draft another CB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So tomorrow night when you are on your 7th beer watching the Dallas OL give up its 14th sack, fear not. For next year the team will be more talented than this year but with an offseason to learn the defense.

Next year the offense gets back three Pro Bowl level players, plus Jarwin, plus Martin is back this week. The best group of WRs in the NFL returns (Lamb will be even better) and the other two OL Williams and Biadasz will each be 24 years old but solid starters by that point. The major concern is obviously the OTs returning but nothing about Collins seems to show a long term problem and plenty of elite OTs have missed seasons like Tyron Smith – with Jason Peters (currently starting at age 38) a good example.

On defense the young DL will develop (Gallimore, Hill, Gregory, Anae), Aldon Smith likely returns and the DL will finally develop some continuity in the new scheme. Diggs will be playing at a #1 CB level next year after taking his lumps this year (while showing above average athletic skills).

The rest of the secondary will be rebuilt but one draft pick can completely change the landscape. Dallas looks to have a draft pick around the 5th to 10th spot, look at the players taken there in the last four years:

Pick 9 CJ Henderson, #6 Jamal Adams, #11 Marshon Lattimore, #5 Jalen Ramsey and #11 Minkah Fitzpatrick.

There are a ton of older veteran Safeties who could be signed to fill a spot in the secondary for a cap hit of 4 – 7 Million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/

The second round pick gets you a player who can join the secondary rotation at a minimum and probably start (Diggs, Awuzie, etc).

Another free agent (like Cam Fleming) and the third round pick gets you solid depth at OT. Recent 3rd round picks at OT range from decent backups to above average starters:

Pick 74 Geron Christian, #83 Orlando Brown, # Shon Coleman.

But most of the year to year improvement comes from both lines developing cohesion in a new system and the young players developing with more reps (like Schultz and Hill did this year).

Trolls, rev your engines.

But don’t say we will blow the draft picks after we got Lamb and Diggs this year with much later picks.

And don’t say we don’t have the cap space, even at a 175 Million cap and franchise tagging Prescott we still have 15 Million left over before any restructuring moves (Aldon Smith and conceivably Sean Lee are the only players in UFA we would want to resign).

who are the big defenders that are available around say 8th pick overall, guessing thats about where we land..i think the FO would simply take THE best defender available , not caring what position they play..

my gut says that what they do, not DB no one postion ion mind this year frost 3 picks should be the very best defenders on the board WHEN YOU PICK and more importantly you tweak the defense to fit the starting 11 on defense..

Kaiser

Reaction score
They need to add a quality DT. A Daron Payne or Jonathan Allen type.

First round of 2022 unless we stockpile picks trading down this year. I'm going with the idea of an average defense lets our offense win games and a DT rotation getting by with an improved Hill and Gallimore joining Antwuan Woods and a middle of the pack FA.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless these players improve their play significantly, Dallas needs to trade Lewis, Woods, Thompson, & possibly Crawford.
Those players have no trade value.

And if Dallas isn’t going to extend Awuzie & Smith, then they might as well trade them, too. Not only will Dallas receive some draft capital in return, but it will allow the rookies & other young players to play & develop.
Awuzie is injured and coming off a bad season last year. Who would trade for him?

They'll probably re-sign Aldon Smith.

Tussinman

Reaction score
They need to pull a 2019 Greenbay packers but with the cap going down it's unlikely.

Greenbay signed both Smiths (Zadarius and Preston), Adrian Amos, and then drafted Darnell Savage.

4 upgraded starters on defensive in 1 off-season. Team defensive stats jumped like 12 spots just in one year

chagus

Reaction score
How about this instead

Replace hill
Replace gallimore
Replace Jaylon
Replace LVE
Replace brown

And maybe now we can think about being competent on defense

Oh ok. Great idea.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First round of 2022 unless we stockpile picks trading down this year. I'm going with the idea of an average defense lets our offense win games and a DT rotation getting by with an improved Hill and Gallimore joining Antwuan Woods and a middle of the pack FA.

I don't want them to focus on a specific position.

I'm OK with a trade down depending on the scenario.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And don’t say we don’t have the cap space, even at a 175 Million cap and franchise tagging Prescott we still have 15 Million left over before any restructuring moves .

So you're assuming Dak signs for 5 years and CAP allocation of $25m for 2021?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Oh ok. Great idea.

I don't think there is a single example in NFL history where "clean out all these bums" worked. You take what you have an weed out the bad while adding in the good.

If someone thinks a full offseason with the coaches and adding in a Jalen Ramsey or Jamal Adams won't bring the defense up to average, I completely disagree.

ICP

Reaction score
This all sounds good in theory but you failed to take into account the two clowns running the show.
:thumbup:

aria

Reaction score
OP already has next years hype train rolling and it’s not even November, this very well be a new record.

He’s planting the hype seed and is cracking the 2021 Kool Aid taps. He must be delusional or on Jerrah’s payroll.

Kaiser

Reaction score
who are the top 5 college defensive players of 2021 NFL draft..?

I listed the guys from those ranges from past drafts, its obviously way too early to have a clear picture. But the guy I like for draft analysis is Dane Brugler and he has these defensive guys listed in his top 15 for a recent article on his early 2021 mock draft below. The article was in April though, so its still basically meaningless.

5. Miami Dolphins — *Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State

6. New York Jets — *Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State

8. Detroit Lions — Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State

9. Las Vegas Raiders — *Tyler Shelvin, DT, LSU

10. Arizona Cardinals — *Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

14. Atlanta Falcons — *Gregory Rousseau, edge, Miami (Fla.)

15. Chicago Bears — *Jevon Holland, FS, Oregon

chagus

Reaction score
I don't think there is a single example in NFL history where "clean out all these bums" worked. You take what you have an weed out the bad while adding in the good.

If someone thinks a full offseason with the coaches and adding in a Jalen Ramsey or Jamal Adams won't bring the defense up to average, I completely disagree.

I agree. Its going to take time adjusting with new coaches and scheme. We all knew that, I think. But, like me... just didn't expect this team to be THIS BAD. So, obvious over reactions are bound to happen. "Fire everybody!"

Bumps and bruises, fellow fans. Nooch is about to get his too. Hope this doesn't ruin him cuz he's about to get creamed.

I wonder what the oline is gonna look like?

Fleming, C Williams, Biadez, Looney and Martin?

Im hoping its this. Might be Nooch's best shot at completing a few passes and Zeke running for at least 80 yards

blueblood70

Reaction score
mock has us taking

round 1

SHAUN WADE
CB Ohio State

round 2

CADEN STERNS
S Texas

round 3 OT

round 4
DIMITRI MOORE
LB Vanderbilt

oI guess mocks agree we need a lot of defense lol

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree. Its going to take time adjusting with new coaches and scheme. We all knew that, I think. But, like me... just didn't expect this team to be THIS BAD. So, obvious over reactions are bound to happen. "Fire everybody!"

Totally agree, I think its a snowball effect of a bunch of things and both coaching and players have pretty much equal blame. All the offensive injuries add to it also.

Bob Sturm said he expects the OL to be Erving, Williams, Biadasz, Martin and Steele. If that group played together for a while it could conceivably be a passable group, but I think Sunday night is basically going to look like the first half hour of Saving Private Ryan.