One Draft Pick changes everything next year

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The rest of the secondary will be rebuilt but one draft pick can completely change the landscape. Dallas looks to have a draft pick around the 5th to 10th spot, look at the players taken there in the last four years:

Pick 9 CJ Henderson, #6 Jamal Adams, #11 Marshon Lattimore, #5 Jalen Ramsey and #11 Minkah Fitzpatrick.

This is the type of braindead logic only a WeHo community college can bring.

Identifying highly drafted players from previous drafts means exactly what with regard to this upcoming draft?

"Oh heeey guuyz, Jalen Ramsey was drafted #5 overall in 2016, so that means we'll get a stud in 2020!!!"

Sydla

Reaction score
So tomorrow night when you are on your 7th beer watching the Dallas OL give up its 14th sack, fear not. For next year the team will be more talented than this year but with an offseason to learn the defense.

Next year the offense gets back three Pro Bowl level players, plus Jarwin, plus Martin is back this week. The best group of WRs in the NFL returns (Lamb will be even better) and the other two OL Williams and Biadasz will each be 24 years old but solid starters by that point. The major concern is obviously the OTs returning but nothing about Collins seems to show a long term problem and plenty of elite OTs have missed seasons like Tyron Smith – with Jason Peters (currently starting at age 38) a good example.

On defense the young DL will develop (Gallimore, Hill, Gregory, Anae), Aldon Smith likely returns and the DL will finally develop some continuity in the new scheme. Diggs will be playing at a #1 CB level next year after taking his lumps this year (while showing above average athletic skills).

The rest of the secondary will be rebuilt but one draft pick can completely change the landscape. Dallas looks to have a draft pick around the 5th to 10th spot, look at the players taken there in the last four years:

Pick 9 CJ Henderson, #6 Jamal Adams, #11 Marshon Lattimore, #5 Jalen Ramsey and #11 Minkah Fitzpatrick.

There are a ton of older veteran Safeties who could be signed to fill a spot in the secondary for a cap hit of 4 – 7 Million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/

The second round pick gets you a player who can join the secondary rotation at a minimum and probably start (Diggs, Awuzie, etc).

Another free agent (like Cam Fleming) and the third round pick gets you solid depth at OT. Recent 3rd round picks at OT range from decent backups to above average starters:

Pick 74 Geron Christian, #83 Orlando Brown, # Shon Coleman.

But most of the year to year improvement comes from both lines developing cohesion in a new system and the young players developing with more reps (like Schultz and Hill did this year).

Trolls, rev your engines.

But don’t say we will blow the draft picks after we got Lamb and Diggs this year with much later picks.

And don’t say we don’t have the cap space, even at a 175 Million cap and franchise tagging Prescott we still have 15 Million left over before any restructuring moves (Aldon Smith and conceivably Sean Lee are the only players in UFA we would want to resign).

What’s the math on 15 million under cap next year? Because I don’t think you are accurate.

Spotrac has us 166 million for 2021. Factor in a cap of 175 million and rollovers, it appears our cap space is around 24 million BEFORE tagging Dak.

Last edited:

Kaiser

Reaction score

Identifying highly drafted players from previous drafts means exactly what with regard to this upcoming draft?

"Oh heeey guuyz, Jalen Ramsey was drafted #5 overall in 2016, so that means we'll get a stud in 2020!!!"

"I call this meeting of the Fresno Trailer Park Association to order. Top Ten draft picks never do nothing!!"

Dallas has drafted better than the rest of their Division by a wide margin, but Internet service in Fresno is spotty so Cal Poly never got the news.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
"I call this meeting of the Fresno Trailer Park Association to order. Top Ten draft picks never do nothing!!"

Dallas has drafted better than the rest of their Division by a wide margin, but Internet service in Fresno is spotty so Cal Poly never got the news.

While you're left making up fantasies about me living in Fresno, we know for a fact that back in the world of reality, just a week ago, you thought San Luis Obispo was near Fresno.

#WeHo!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Full on spider monkey.
LOL!
giphy.gif

Kaiser

Reaction score
While you're left making up fantasies about me living in Fresno, we know for a fact that back in the world of reality, just a week ago, you thought San Luis Obispo was near Fresno.

#WeHo!

No, I said you live in Fresno because A) you are a loser and B) you stalk people but refuse to say anything about yourself.

You are the one that said SLO is like Santa Barbara, which is like saying Austin is like Belgrade.

visionary

Reaction score
This guy thinks Gregory, Hill, Gallimore and Anae are going to help turn this defense around..

The front office also thinks the same thing..it's why this is the worst defense in the history of the nfl

to be fair, @Kaiser hadnt made a sensible post in his many years on CZ, so why start now

:laugh:

Reactions: JBS

garyo1954

Reaction score

Did I mention Morris Claiborne, drafted #6 overall, had a Wonderlic of 4? Maybe I should have added WE (The Cowboys) drafted him!

MaineBoy

Reaction score
So tomorrow night when you are on your 7th beer watching the Dallas OL give up its 14th sack, fear not. For next year the team will be more talented than this year but with an offseason to learn the defense.

Next year the offense gets back three Pro Bowl level players, plus Jarwin, plus Martin is back this week. The best group of WRs in the NFL returns (Lamb will be even better) and the other two OL Williams and Biadasz will each be 24 years old but solid starters by that point. The major concern is obviously the OTs returning but nothing about Collins seems to show a long term problem and plenty of elite OTs have missed seasons like Tyron Smith – with Jason Peters (currently starting at age 38) a good example.

On defense the young DL will develop (Gallimore, Hill, Gregory, Anae), Aldon Smith likely returns and the DL will finally develop some continuity in the new scheme. Diggs will be playing at a #1 CB level next year after taking his lumps this year (while showing above average athletic skills).

There are a ton of older veteran Safeties who could be signed to fill a spot in the secondary for a cap hit of 4 – 7 Million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/safety/

The second round pick gets you a player who can join the secondary rotation at a minimum and probably start (Diggs, Awuzie, etc).

Another free agent (like Cam Fleming) and the third round pick gets you solid depth at OT. Recent 3rd round picks at OT range from decent backups to above average starters:

Pick 74 Geron Christian, #83 Orlando Brown, # Shon Coleman.

But most of the year to year improvement comes from both lines developing cohesion in a new system and the young players developing with more reps (like Schultz and Hill did this year).

Trolls, rev your engines.

But don’t say we will blow the draft picks after we got Lamb and Diggs this year with much later picks.

And don’t say we don’t have the cap space, even at a 175 Million cap and franchise tagging Prescott we still have 15 Million left over before any restructuring moves (Aldon Smith and conceivably Sean Lee are the only players in UFA we would want to resign).

Jerry and Stephen still make the draft picks and build the team...that means nothing changes but a few names...for the 26th year in a row...So you got them to agree to prioritize safety and use serious resources to get a good one ? It’s definitely not a good time to be a homer, JoJo Rabbit.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It’s definitely not a good time to be a homer, JoJo Rabbit.

Complaining about Dallas drafts a few months after they took CD Lamb at 17 is a really good time to look like an idiot.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Did I mention Morris Claiborne, drafted #6 overall, had a Wonderlic of 4? Maybe I should have added WE (The Cowboys) drafted him!

And every year since then our first round pick became a Pro Bowl player. CD Lamb hasn't yet but he might be the best pick of that group.

Got any posts about Larry Bethea or Robert Shaw?

garyo1954

Reaction score
And every year since then our first round pick became a Pro Bowl player. CD Lamb hasn't yet but he might be the best pick of that group.

Got any posts about Larry Bethea or Robert Shaw?

Shirley, Larry and Robert was picked near the end of round 1.....28th or 27th.
So how is that comparable to Jamal Adams and Miss Claiborne being picked 6th?

Was their Wonderlic lower than 4????????

HungryLion

Reaction score
I am a little less optimistic about some of the players the cowboys have on defense developing.

That being said. The cowboys are going to have high draft picks in the top 5-10 of each round. Plus an additional 3rd and 4th round come picks.

This is another reason I say keep Dak. If they do. They can draft no offense next year. None.

Go defense heavy. If they hit, they can literally add 2-3 starters and a couple other contributors.

Get some youth. Get some speed.

draft defenders who have a history of forcing turnovers in college.

The defense doesn’t need to be elite. It just needs to be middle of the pack and force a solid number of turnovers.

the offense will be top 5 again with everyone back healthy.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Starters/Depth

QB – Dak, Looch
RB – Zeke, Pollard
TE – Jarwin, Schultz, Bell
WR – Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Wilson, Brown
OT – Tyron Smith, #3 Draft Pick
OG – Williams, McGovern
C – Biadasz
OG – Martin
OT – La’el Collins, Free Agent Swing Tackle

DE – Dlaw, Dorance Armstrong
DT – Hill, Vet FA
DT – Gallimore, Woods
DE – Aldon Smith, Gregory, Anae
MLB – LVE
WLB – Jaylon
SLB – Joe Thomas

CB – Diggs
CB - #1 or #2 Pick
CB – Brown
Safety – #1 or #2 Pick
Safety – Vet FA

You usually snap at me like my teenage girls but I will say this is an interesting post. Smith as a viable starter next years is folly. Going with the same terrible front 7 is also folly. Even Jerry isn’t senile enough to not see the issue at LB. The first 3 picks next year must be LB, S and T.