One positive on what Jerry is about to pay Dak

Hadenough

Reaction score
If Cousins got 84 million what is Mahomes worth?

My own answer is It think he's a bright, self aware kid who won't bury his franchise with a contract demand like that.

Jim Rome said Dak is repped by CAA (Creative Artists Agency out of LA) and they are absolutely going to ask for a max deal. Does't mean anything at this point as it is posturing but no way Jerry gives him a max deal...um...at least...I hope...
I find it really hard to believe that Jerry is dumb enough to not see through the smoke! Daks performance is clearly based on having the best players around him and even with the best players around him its not like this Cowboys offense is a juggernaut. Dak is a very average player! Watching Phillip Rivers go into KC last night and lead the Chargers to victory with his 3rd string RB and without his star WR is what a good QB is supposed to do. Rivers counts 22 mil against the cap and I just dont see why Dallas would pay Dak 28 mil especially before his contract is up.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't know why why people are trying to use whatever Dak makes as some kind of yardstick for what Wentz will have to be signed for. If there is going to be any comparison for what Wentz signs for, it will be Goff. Both there contracts are due at the same time and drafted 1 and 2.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I find it really hard to believe that Jerry is dumb enough to not see through the smoke! Daks performance is clearly based on having the best players around him and even with the best players around him its not like this Cowboys offense is a juggernaut. Dak is a very average player! Watching Phillip Rivers go into KC last night and lead the Chargers to victory with his 3rd string RB and without his star WR is what a good QB is supposed to do. Rivers counts 22 mil against the cap and I just dont see why Dallas would pay Dak 28 mil especially before his contract is up.
Rivers signed his contract 4 years ago and that was the market price then. The market price keeps going up every year for the QB position, as the cap rises so does the price. If Rivers were to sign a new contract today on the open market it wouldn't be at $22 million/yr.

renny

Reaction score
The position only pays that because someone else is willing to pay it if you don't. I don't believe there would be a single team in the league willing to pay Dak 28M a year. What team in the league would be willing to over pay Dak right now?
More than you think.

Darkhound

Reaction score
Jerry is known to overpay.... so we must get used to the idea that DAK will get paid .... Jerry loves Dak.. so we know he will make that mistke to overpay him

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't think Dak is worth 28 million a year but that might be the going price for a starting qb in NFL now a day.

I realize the "going rate" for a QB is a factor in contract negotiations. But if Rodgers, Brady, Brees (in their prime) is worth $30 million per year going forward what is a guy like Dalton worth? Some would say $20 million or so.

Quite honestly, while a true franchise carrier like Brady may be worth $30 million per year, if it decimates the team cap to the point that you can't field a team around them then it's too much. At some point you have to set a hard cap and say I'm not paying more than that even for a guy like Brady in his prime.

A guy like Dalton can't carry a team. The best he could ever do is be a bus driver. You can't over pay a bus driver. If the team has to carry the QB then he is a liability and he should be paid like he is a liability.

In my world Dalton would get maybe $5 million. He probably wouldn't sign for that, but they are winning nothing with him, so why pay him? If teams get smart they will start putting serious pressure on the QB market and drive the price down relative to the cap percentage.

Then there is the endorsement factor. A team like Dallas is a high visibility market. Dak is getting significant endorsement money simply because he plays for the Cowboys. At some point, the team should force the player to think about moving on from that bird's nest on the ground.

I don't think Dak will hold the team hostage. I think he's a good guy. He's not currently Brady in his prime. But he is an efficient game manager on most days. And that's somewhat valuable.

Dak can probably carry a team here or there but not on a weekly basis at this point. Most weeks he is simply managing the game and getting the ball to his playmakers.

While Zeke's career will probably not last long term due to over use, Zeke may be the single most valuable player on this team, even exceeding QB in terms of importance. Zeke may end up getting one franchise tag and get traded after that due to cost and mileage.

If we pay Dak $28 million average (over 5 years) then this team needs a lobotomy.

Verdict

Reaction score
The new bar was set at 33.5mil aav by Rodgers.

I just can't see where an agent will say, "wow Dak got a new deal, Wentz is worth 12mil more per year than whatever Dak got". "Oh, he got 28mil per? Well I guess Wentz will get 6.5mil over Aaron Rodgers now".

At some point teams are going to figure out over paying a QB guts your team and will stop doing it.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm going to put a power drill through my eye if Dak gets $28 million guaranteed. Unfortunately, if Kirk Cousins can get $28 million fully guaranteed, I bet Dak can too.

Better warm up the Craftsman...

I would lament it. Seriously lament it. But no power drill through the eye for me. I wouldn't even sacrifice an eye of a Dez Fan Boi because of it.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Wentz will get that big pay check on potential only, because he hasn't done much in 3 years. He actually regressed more than Dak did last year.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Rivers signed his contract 4 years ago and that was the market price then. The market price keeps going up every year for the QB position, as the cap rises so does the price. If Rivers were to sign a new contract today on the open market it wouldn't be at $22 million/yr.
Thats true! its going to be interesting how this whole contract plays out with Dak.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Wentz will get that big pay check on potential only, because he hasn't done much in 3 years. He actually regressed more than Dak did last year.

Wentz has missed 4 games this year and will miss these last two but he has actually passed for more TDs, yards per game and has a higher completion percentage than Dak. His problem is he doesnt have a running game to lean on and the defense is terrible.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'm going to put a power drill through my eye if Dak gets $28 million guaranteed. Unfortunately, if Kirk Cousins can get $28 million fully guaranteed, I bet Dak can too.

Better warm up the Craftsman...
Yeah if Dak gets 28 mil a year for 5 years this team is going to be gutted! It will be a painful 10 years to recover from a poor decision. At least with Cousins the Vikings only have to suffer for 2 more years.