One positive on what Jerry is about to pay Dak

conner01

Reaction score
I agree with you no one player should take that much of the money, How the players union allow this and player rank and file agrees to this is just crazy.
You would think the players would see the money is going into a few hands instead of all the hands
Obviously elite players should get more but what happens when one player is a quarter of a teams cap? The others get less

kskboys

Reaction score
The position only pays that because someone else is willing to pay it if you don't. I don't believe there would be a single team in the league willing to pay Dak 28M a year. What team in the league would be willing to over pay Dak right now?
JAX.

Bortles makes Dak look like John Elway.

kskboys

Reaction score
The thing that gets me is these star QBs will demand such a chunk of resources that it handicaps the team and then they'll be called the most competitive, determined-to-win people on the planet.

I know a guy who nearly went broke and lost everything freeing up time to train for the Olympics (he never made it as far as I know but he was accomplished in smaller competitions). It's a tough call as to who is more competitive: the guy that does that, or the Brees that should have 2 rings by now but he devestated the NO cap situation in pursuit of absurd amounts of money and so here we are.

Just imagine if one day a really good QB wins a SB on his cheap first contract and decides "you know, I'd rather have 15 million a year and more rings than anyone else than 30 million a year and a crappy roster around me."

That QB would go down as the most selfless and competitive football player of all time, and if he actually is really good then the dynasty would be awesome. Imagine getting the next Tom Brady right now for 15 million a year lol

I know, I know, it'll never happen.
Brady signed for 10 mil/season. I would imagine someone already told you this. That's a big part of the reason why the Pats remain super bowl contenders. And why Rogers and Brees are mostly not.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with you no one player should take that much of the money, How the players union allow this and player rank and file agrees to this is just crazy.
The player's union is a pile of morons. They trade anything and everything for a bigger cut of the pie and go into raging fits if anyone even suggests limiting what a player can get. Their motives are greed, greed, and more greed.

And the owners are the same way. Every time they try to make an agreement, they fight and fight and fight about money, both sides thinking about nothing except their own greedy little selves.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Why not just eliminate the cap all together? You don't see GOOG or AMZN or AAPL etc with a cap. Does basketball or baseball have caps...I have no idea if they do or not.

The cap is because of owners greed and honestly players maybe greed is not the right word but impatience. Once they threaten to take away a few paychecks from a lockout and they can't make their lamborghini payments they come running with their tails between their legs and take the deal the owners want them to.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
You would think the players would see the money is going into a few hands instead of all the hands
Obviously elite players should get more but what happens when one player is a quarter of a teams cap? The others get less

I don't agree. The way they fell apart this year is telling.

There's rumors they may be interest in Bridgewater:

https://clutchpoints.com/jaguars-ru...y-bridgewater-could-be-jacksonvilles-next-qb/

There's also been rumors about them dumping Jalen Ramsey:

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvil...-with-2018-a-bust-jaguars-2019-plans-in-focus.

In the second article they're talking about NOT signing Bridgewater because his price could get bid up. So if Bridgewater is too expensive, why would they be thinking about throwing Cousins-type money at Prescott?

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Basketball does not have a cap. It has a tax, a luxury tax and a super luxury tax based on set amounts. No hard cap.

The NBA doesn’t have a “hard cap” by default, which allows those clubs to build significant payrolls without violating CBA rules. However, there are certain scenarios in which teams can be hard-capped.

When a club uses the bi-annual exception, acquires a player via sign-and-trade, or uses more than the taxpayer portion ($5.337MM) of the mid-level exception, that club will face a hard cap for the remainder of the league year.

When a team becomes hard-capped, it cannot exceed the “tax apron” at any point during the rest of the league year. The tax apron is set at a point approximately $6MM above the luxury tax line. For the 2018/19 league year, the tax apron – and hard cap for certain clubs – is set at $129.817MM.

So far this year, nine teams have imposed a hard cap on themselves by using the bi-annual exception, using the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, or acquiring a player via sign-and-trade.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/08/nba-teams-with-hard-caps-for-201819.html

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Brady signed for 10 mil/season. I would imagine someone already told you this. That's a big part of the reason why the Pats remain super bowl contenders. And why Rogers and Brees are mostly not.

Yeah, I knew Brady took a small deal, but didn't he wait until his last contract to do so? I was referring to someone doing that their whole career. Also I think that was only for a couple years, his next two cap hits are north of 25 mill per year.

Still though, props to Brady. He's the closest I know of to what I described.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Why not just eliminate the cap all together? You don't see GOOG or AMZN or AAPL etc with a cap. Does basketball or baseball have caps...I have no idea if they do or not.

How many GOOG's, AMZN's or AAPL's do you see right now? Only a handful.

So how many markets do you want to eliminate from the NFL? 50%.... 75%?

With no cap, the teams with the most money could continually acquire the best players and dramatically improve their odds of winning. As they continue to outbid other teams for players, what happens to the salary demands from the best players on the smaller market teams?

How would the smaller market and/or less wealthy franchises compete for talent..... and how long will most fans keep plunking down ever-increasing amounts of money to watch a team they believe has no chance of winning a championship?

With no cap, I think you'd see a rapid increase in the players' salaries until either:

1) The owners forced themselves to create some type of league-wide salary structure which would cause a lockout or a strike or

2) Teams started folding. I think if scenario 1 didn't happen, you'd start to see smaller franchises put up for sale first as the current owners discovered their existing business models were unsustainable and the league attempted to infuse those teams with cash. In the long run, those markets would not be able to sustain the revenue needed to compete with the larger market teams. When you couple higher and higher operating expenses and lower revenue streams, businesses start to fail.

Brax

Reaction score
They fixed the rookie wage scale they need to fix the veteran scale , can't imagine any other union work place that would allow such a discrepancy in wages, not sure how most of the players allow the few to benefit like tha, it really goes against what unions are suppose to do.

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew Brady took a small deal, but didn't he wait until his last contract to do so? I was referring to someone doing that their whole career. Also I think that was only for a couple years, his next two cap hits are north of 25 mill per year.

Still though, props to Brady. He's the closest I know of to what I described.
It’s different taking less your last few years than through the prime of your careet

Flamma

Reaction score
They fixed the rookie wage scale they need to fix the veteran scale , can't imagine any other union work place that would allow such a discrepancy in wages, not sure how most of the players allow the few to benefit like tha, it really goes against what unions are suppose to do.

They fixed it for who? The rookie deals are pro salary cap and pro owner, not player. After the rookie deal they basically get paid as much as their value to the team or as much as any other team is willing to pay them for their talent. Nothing really to fix.

rags747

Reaction score
How many GOOG's, AMZN's or AAPL's do you see right now? Only a handful.

So how many markets do you want to eliminate from the NFL? 50%.... 75%?

With no cap, the teams with the most money could continually acquire the best players and dramatically improve their odds of winning. As they continue to outbid other teams for players, what happens to the salary demands from the best players on the smaller market teams?

How would the smaller market and/or less wealthy franchises compete for talent..... and how long will most fans keep plunking down ever-increasing amounts of money to watch a team they believe has no chance of winning a championship?

With no cap, I think you'd see a rapid increase in the players' salaries until either:

1) The owners forced themselves to create some type of league-wide salary structure which would cause a lockout or a strike or

2) Teams started folding. I think if scenario 1 didn't happen, you'd start to see smaller franchises put up for sale first as the current owners discovered their existing business models were unsustainable and the league attempted to infuse those teams with cash. In the long run, those markets would not be able to sustain the revenue needed to compete with the larger market teams. When you couple higher and higher operating expenses and lower revenue streams, businesses start to fail.
Pre Cap days seemed to work just fine, why is it different today. If anything today makes it much easier to disseminate information and be competitive, No?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If Cousins got 84 million what is Mahomes worth?

My own answer is It think he's a bright, self aware kid who won't bury his franchise with a contract demand like that.

Jim Rome said Dak is repped by CAA (Creative Artists Agency out of LA) and they are absolutely going to ask for a max deal. Does't mean anything at this point as it is posturing but no way Jerry gives him a max deal...um...at least...I hope...

What is that Jim Rome (with the 15-year-old's voice) doing these days?
He us so last century, chaps!

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Whatever Dak gets, he has earned it...I think it will be close to the 30 mil mark after its all said and done.

Brax

Reaction score
They fixed it for who? The rookie deals are pro salary cap and pro owner, not player. After the rookie deal they basically get paid as much as their value to the team or as much as any other team is willing to pay them for their talent. Nothing really to fix.
they put the scale on a value rated set wage by draft position, no more paying for the unknown the first 4 years, rookie salaries no longer hurt salary cap especially when they are busts, the veteran wage scale needs to be corrected some how so money is more evenly divided between more players.