One Thing We Should All Agree On About Dak

IceBowler

Reaction score
Brad Johnson won a SB with a coach I'm certainly not ready to catagorize as "good." Now, if you want to say he got all his mojo from Dungy and his gang, well, maybe ... but certainly not Gruden.

jnday

Reaction score
Absolutely. They're also not doing anything to help overcome these issues.
Do you really think that they are not doing everything possible to improve Dak’s play? Their jobs are on the line and they know it. Dak has some very good college coaches and they was not able to improve his faults. He has remained a QB with limited talent for years. It would surprise me if another coach changes Dak in the least bit.

kskboys

Reaction score
Do you really think that they are not doing everything possible to improve Dak’s play? Their jobs are on the line and they know it. Dak has some very good college coaches and they was not able to improve his faults. He has remained a QB with limited talent for years. It would surprise me if another coach changes Dak in the least bit.
Since this staff is notorious for not developing players, I honestly do not believe they are using/developing Dak to his fullest, no.

Your line about Dak's college coaches isn't true. Dak improved every year in college. He has not improved since he's been here. And that is the norm for this org.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
All due respect, You're proving my point.

You talk about 1 time a decade ago, he did average with bad talent. And everywhere else he's had good talent and done great. Ok, so Linehan has consistently had prolific offenses when he's had good talent at his disposal. We agree on that.

Cooper has shown he's got gamebreaking ability. We have the leagues leading rusher.

Where's the breakdown in our talent pool?

I see a lot of moronic takes on this board...but this is just too good to pass up. You do realize that "Cooper has shown he's got gamebreaking ability" was most evident in his game against Philly.

The game that Cooper was frustrated in the play calling and wanted Dak (to an extent he did) to ignore Linehan.

This is made all the richer because 2015 happened...so what happened in 2015? Did Linehan not call plays that season?

Cowboy4evr

Reaction score
It is not a coaching flaw....more a game plan. Deep passes gain yards quickly, while short passes are not only high percentage, but eat up the clock. That along with Elliot, Cowboys eat up clock. Again not making excuses for Dak's short comings, we all see them during the game.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I see a lot of moronic takes on this board...but this is just too good to pass up. You do realize that "Cooper has shown he's got gamebreaking ability" was most evident in his game against Philly.

The game that Cooper was frustrated in the play calling and wanted Dak (to an extent he did) to ignore Linehan.

This is made all the richer because 2015 happened...so what happened in 2015? Did Linehan not call plays that season?

Romo was injured

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
You were more right than he wants to admit

Linehan wasn't the titular OC in 14, his official title was passing game coordinator

But it was well known that he had a lot of dominion over game plans, etc

Callahan was odd man out

That's why he was willing to take a demotion to offensive line coach when he left for Washington. He wanted to run the offense but they gave that responsibility to SL

That's right! I forgot about Callahan, the infamous "running game Moses".

Yes, I do recall now that Callahan was in an awkward bridge year and Linehan was OC for just about all intents and purposes.

It's nice to see I got quoted and have someone say I'm not wrong haha

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Hmm nope, Zeke and the defense win games. Either one don't show up and Dallas takes the L.

If a running game is non-existent, and the defense can't get off the field...then 95% of the teams in the NFL will take the L. Only a few QBs playing today consistently win in shootouts, most don't. And you know what, I'm fine that the Cowboys can't win shootouts. Fine by me. Brees, A Rod, Mahomes, Brady...those are rare commodities.

Thus, most teams will try to win games behind an effective run game, and a solid defense. If neither show up, they know they're odds of winning shrink considerably. And these days, A Rod, Brady and Roeth aren't winning too many shootouts themselves....they're all relying on a decent defense and a running game. Go figure.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The Cowboys have feasted on teams 8-7 or worse (8-2) and struggled with teams 9-6 or better (1-4).

Rationalize it any way you like, but that's the record. Which group do you expect to see in the playoffs?

The rationalization here is all yours. I outlined why the losses to the 9 win teams were atypical. That's hardly struggling except for the Colts game and every team has a game like that every season they sleepwalk in and get killed.

Your implication is that we don't play well against the best teams. Here is the record - there are 7 teams with a better record than Dallas and the Cowboys played two of them.

They played the team with the best record in the NFL and won.

The other team they played before getting Amari Cooper and took them to OT. A road game that goes into OT is hardly a "struggle" and Dallas is a completely different team with Amari.

Last edited:

bodi

Reaction score
Montana, Brady, Farve, Brees, and Big Ben

well tell who were their coaches ??

phildadon86

Reaction score
So you're saying that a legitimate QB would succeed at a high level, despite Linehan

Interesting. I might actually come around to your side on this one
I am saying comparing a qb with over a decade of experience with a guy in his 3rd year is stupid.

aaev84

Reaction score
Scott was good enough for Romo. Romo sucks
Scott is not good enough for Dak. Dak is super star.

LMAO oh crap the quarterback coach sucks too alone with the offensive line, wr. rb, te and the defense doesn't score enough.

Yep Scott sucks

I wonder who is good enough to play with Dak? anyone?
Lol very true! Who is good enough for Dak seems to be the thing. Hey he has the IT factor. Ignore all else.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I am saying comparing a qb with over a decade of experience with a guy in his 3rd year is stupid.

No, that's not at all what you said. Not even close. You said Romo succeeded because he over ruled everything Linehan said to do. Experience was never mentioned or implied until you realized your words contradicted your original argument (that Linehan was so awful he'd ruin any quarterback and that therefore Dak has no chance to succeed under him)

Anyhow, playing devil's advocate--

TBH, comparing a 10 year vet to a 3rd year player is not nearly as stupid as benching a guy with a decade of experience for a rookie

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I’m positive we all agree that the combo of Moore/Linehan/Garrett are near the bottom 5 in the league at development and expansion of a QB’s game. Without proper coaching, a player regresses or can become inconsistent, as the correct habits are not being taught and retained.

Unlike player rankings, where objective stats exist, ranking coaches is a more subjective exercise. I've read 2 rankings of coaches this year, for what they're worth, one on ESPN. I believe people behind these rankings are more objective, and more knowledgeable about football, than most of the Cowboys fans in this forum.

One report ranked Garrett #15, and one #16. The consensus being that Garrett is an average coach. While I'm not a big Garrett fan, I'll strongly disagree with the idea that he is one of the worst 5 coaches in the league. I doubt you'll find many professionals in the league that agree with that contention either.

Dak was a late 4th round pick for valid reasons. There are multiple shortcomings in his game. Blaming Garrett for these shortcomings makes little sense.

The GM made the decision to devote nothing more than a late 4th round pick to the most important position on the team. This was not Garrett's decision. Dak is exactly what he was judged to be coming out of college.

eastsideboy

Reaction score
In this day and age more than ever, coaching is a huge part of a Quarterbacks success. Simple examples like Goff with Fisher vs Goff with McVay, and how K. Shanahan can take Nick Mullen’s and make him a legit NFL Qb are great modern examples.

But even in history, no great QB has won a Super Bowl without great coaching. Montana, Brady, Farve, Brees, and Big Ben are all guys who we see as HOF’s but seem to forget the great coaching support they had around them.

I’m positive we all agree that the combo of Moore/Linehan/Garrett are near the bottom 5 in the league at development and expansion of a QB’s game. Without proper coaching, a player regresses or can become inconsistent, as the correct habits are not being taught and retained.

I don’t know why Dak is the only QB who is expected to flourish without good coaching. But it seems to me he is a prime example of a QB who could clean up his game with top notch coaching.

I think we should all agree to reserve full judgment on Dak until we see some type of competant coaching. Only then will we see the full picture.

**To those whining that Dak needs everything to win, please show me a guy who’s won anything significant with a bad coach and average personnel. Any Super Bowl winning team needs both great personnel and at least good coaching. Not one or the other.
The colts. Worst defense in nfl history. But still a very good post :grin: