News: Op-Ed: Firing Head Coach Jason Garrett would set Cowboys back a decade

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the defining season in my opinion as well. If the team shows ability to overcome adversity and win games, then let's keep this train rolling. If we begin to see the same tripe as last season (injuries or no injuries), or another .500 season, then don't let the door hit ya.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable position on the subject. If he wins, stay the course, if he doesn't, time for everybody to see the obvious.

Sydla

Reaction score
This is the funniest article I have read in some time around these parts.

You know what else can set this franchise back 10 years? Letting Garrett continue to spit out .500 seasons for a few more years. Or ignoring the fact Romo is on his last legs and thinking you don't need a top QB now to groom but rather you'll hit gold taking Dak Prescott in the 2nd or 3rd round.

There's far more worse things this franchise could do than firing Garrett if he's mediocre this coming season again.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The whole premise is stupid because he wasn't fired and IS the long-term coach for the Cowboys....period.

Only a 4-14 season with Romo where the team quits on him would cause him to be fired in the near future.

MrPhil

Reaction score
Personally, I don't see Garrett going anywhere as long as the team is configured as it is now with Romo at QB. As late as we are in his career, you are almost forced to keep the band together. Once Romo retires, it is a different story.

lkelly

Reaction score
The NFL isn't a "takes a decade to recover" league. The salary cap and draft virtually guarantee that. I say "virtually" because of, well, you know, teams like the Browns.

Teams go from worst to first in the division quite frequently. This isn't the 1970s and 1980s where you had a lock on the roster and ability to squat on a dynasty.

If Dallas is set back a decade after firing a .500 coach, it isn't because of that decision. It's a result of the people left making all the other decisions.

erod

Reaction score
Garrett shouldn't be fired.

But 10 years? C'mon Captain Overreaction.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Op-Ed: Firing Head Coach Jason Garrett would set Cowboys back a decade

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...ason-garrett-would-set-cowboys-back-a-decade/

Fury can drive someone to ignore reason. It has caused everything from schoolyard fights to major global conflicts. It’s also the motivation behind a faction of Dallas Cowboys’ fans making a mad dash to their local Home Depot for torches and pitchforks. This angry mob wants coach Jason Garrett run out of Valley Ranch; and they want it yesterday.

In 2015 and on the heels of posting a 12-4 record, a playoff win and being one fumble/overturned catch away from the NFC Championship Game in 2014; Garrett was awarded a 5-year, $30 million contract extension with the Cowboys. That was just one year removed from his third straight 8-8 season and many calling for his job. At the time of the extension spirits were crushed by what occurred on the field and cost Dallas a Super Bowl 49 run, but were also high for where the team was headed.

The calls for Garrett’s head had all but died.

After being mocked heading into 2014, the 2015 Cowboys were the favorites in the NFC East and were prepared to right the wrongs of the 2014 playoffs. And then the following occurred:

Key Injuries:

• QB1 Tony Romo (shoulder 2x; 13 games missed)
  • WR1 Dez Bryant (foot, surgery required; seven games missed)
  • DB Orlando Scandrick (knee, surgery required; season-ending IR)
  • RB Lance Dunbar (knee, surgery required; season-ending IR)...

Just reading the title made me laugh. :laugh:

DenCWBY

Reaction score
The author set journalism back a decade.

Colorado is celebrating 4/20 day. I think the writer has been stuck in Boulder for a couple of days pre-celebrating before writing the article.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I stopped reading with the "decade" comment. It took away any good faith in the writer, even though I'm not a JG fan to start. No team in the NFL is set back by firing a coach unless its a top coach. Teams turn things around in a year. The Jets just did it. SF did it before and then went back. Seattle did it. Atlanta did it. The list goes on and on. Parity rules and the Cowboys are one of only a few teams who hasn't realized this.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Disagree. Depends on who his replacement would be. If we go 8-8 he should be fired. And if we replace him with a superior coach, it wouldn't hurt the organization one iota. Why? Because it's a superior coach. Problem is...easier said than done.

YR

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
This guy wants Garrett to stay..
http://i830.***BLOCKED***/albums/zz229/vinnie2u/image_zpssaplz1an.jpeg

Garrett is not a bad coach. Just average, predictable.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The whole premise is stupid because he wasn't fired and IS the long-term coach for the Cowboys....period.

Only a 4-14 season with Romo where the team quits on him would cause him to be fired in the near future.
BC JG only wins when Romo is healthy, this makes this scenario nearly impossible. We saw the results w/o Romo last year already. He offers nothing as a HC. He owes Romo a lot of money;)

Last edited: