Opinion: Color Irving Gone

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
With the trade of the Jets to the Colts for #3, the Colts now have #6, #36, #37 and #49. With our former LB coach as the DC there, giving up #36 for Irving will probably be a done deal. Sure they can sign him to a contract that Dallas will not match.

Heck, wouldn't be surprising to see Colts throw in another pick to get Scandrick and Hanna with the extra draft capital. At least we should see some movement from Dallas this week of the FA front.
Isn't losing our best interior rusher for a 2nd round pick what everybody around here wanted?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I believe that the round that is surrendered if a team signs a tendered player is the highest pick the have for the round of the tender.

But to automatically assume that Irving would be gone is also possibly jumping the gun because the Cowboys do have the option of matching any offer the team makes when they signed the tender. If they offer is the same as the tender amount the team that signs the tender is just happy to match the tender amount and give of the draft pick the Cowboys have the option of raising the amount by as little as $1 to be able to keep the player and the negotiations are then over.

I am pretty sure the Colts would offer more than the 2.9 mil tender. This was just a bad move by the F.O. should have been a 1st rd tender.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
With the trade of the Jets to the Colts for #3, the Colts now have #6, #36, #37 and #49. With our former LB coach as the DC there, giving up #36 for Irving will probably be a done deal. Sure they can sign him to a contract that Dallas will not match.

Heck, wouldn't be surprising to see Colts throw in another pick to get Scandrick and Hanna with the extra draft capital. At least we should see some movement from Dallas this week of the FA front.
Why the hell would any team trade for Scandrick and/or Hanna?

birdwells1

Reaction score
Anyone who is excited about gaining a 2nd round pick for a guy that's already productive (he had better numbers than Suh last year even with the suspension) her so that we can draft a "maybe" is a fool. We drafted Taco in the 1st last year and I'd take Irving over him 100 times out of 100.

Some people see a draft pick and they go stupid.

Blackjack analogy: They are basically taking a hit on 20.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
It is incredibly dumb to take a 2nd round pick for Irving...if the year Irving came out of college was redone he'd EASILY be a top 10 pick. He is 24 years old and coming into his prime. Anybody who would give away a talent like Irving in hopes they could draft his replacement or an equally talented player is a complete moron. The odds are so low its not even funny. He's had ONE concussion...so many players have had a concussion before and his injury history is relatively small other than that single concussion last year. He had 7 sacks in 8 games last year and was an absolute stud when on the field and Lawrence played MUCH better with him out there. The amount of talent and potential he has shown is well worth more than a 2nd round pick and if he plays 16 games this year and has a good season you sign him for whatever he wants. You don't let players go of his quality at his age, PERIOD.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I think we can make them give us more than a 2nd if they want him. We can still trade him for more or less than a 2nd.

I could be wrong, but I think we can be given more by someone to keep us from matching.

Make them pay for him.
not this front office....are you kidding me?

Beaker42

Reaction score
I would. Net Gain: Earl Thomas and the 36th pick in the draft. Net Loss: David Irving and 50th pick in the draft. We get the better player and pick.

David Irving created more duress for opposing QB’s than Tank did. Thomas won’t impact games like Irving can.

Lose-lose scenario.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why the hell would any team trade for Scandrick and/or Hanna?
They won't.

That is just sad hope displaying itself. Unless a team is incredibly dense, our chances of unloading these overpaid players are nil.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Zoners tend to overvalue picks.
Zoners overvalue brief flashes of success.
DLaw after 1 year had 0 sacks.
DI had after 1 year had 0.5 sacks.
Taco had 3.

You don't roster build for 1 year.
A 2nd round pick is a quality, young asset that makes no money for 4 years and that you can keep for 5 years on reasonable money.

DI will cost someone 10+M soon.

People bashing Taco are exactly why fans get such a bad name.

3 years from now these same dolts will be saying we must pay Taco 20m a year.

Daillest88

Reaction score
You just described about 80% of the NFL.

Lol no. He’s already been suspended once, posts dumb crap on Instagram often. Hey I think he can be a dominating player he also was sidelined for awhile with a serious concussion.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Irving is a stud anytime he's on the field. If he leaves,its a BIG LOSS. This will be a contract year for him essentially...and if he is here,he will ball out like crazy for that next contract. I expect great things.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Irving is a stud anytime he's on the field. If he leaves,its a BIG LOSS. This will be a contract year for him essentially...and if he is here,he will ball out like crazy for that next contract. I expect great things.

If he is on the field , he could be our best defense player. Hopefully doesn’t turn into a concussion machine

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be careful what you wish for, do you think that you can get a player to have the impact that Irving has with a second round pick? I think not. Hell Taco was a first rounder and didn't have the impact of Irving and played in twice as many games.

It’d be four years of that 2nd rounder v. one year of Irving. It all depends how the Cowboys view giving him a big extension next season.

Either way, they get the right to match the contract. The Colts would have to bet big on a multi year deal to justify sinking a high 2 on it. They won’t offer what he’d get on the market next season if he plays well, so that could work out well in our favor if we want to keep him long term.

It’s moot though. He’s going to want to bet on himself and get to FA to get the much bigger payday.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Colts can just package picks and move up to elect a player in the 1st round and have better value then getting Irving.
Depends on what they want and their needs. Now Irving is more proven than a late 2nd round. But a mid to late 1st round or even a high 2nd should be able to step in as well.

As much as I like us to keep Irving, but also hard not to be a bit excited about a high 2nd round pick. I would not want a low 2nd.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Zoners overvalue brief flashes of success.
DLaw after 1 year had 0 sacks.
DI had after 1 year had 0.5 sacks.
Taco had 3.

You don't roster build for 1 year.
A 2nd round pick is a quality, young asset that makes no money for 4 years and that you can keep for 5 years on reasonable money.

DI will cost someone 10+M soon.

People bashing Taco are exactly why fans get such a bad name.

3 years from now these same dolts will be saying we must pay Taco 20m a year.

Building strictly through the draft doesn't work, the Cowboys are trying to build a team that will rival the Patriots success but the dont have the 2 key ingredients, Brady and Belichick. Everyone else is trying to win and figure out the other stuff later, Philly, Rams, Viking are going for it, they are building their roster for today.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Who wants to pay David Irving next year ? at 17 million a season (or possibly more)