Opinion: Color Irving Gone

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
There seems to be this huge assumption that Eberflus and the Colts are clamoring for Irving. Have we seen any kind of confirmation on this? Or is everyone just wishfully thinking teams view Irving the same way we do? The knock on Irving is he is difficult to coach. Who knows if Eberflus has a great or combative relationship with Irving?

I like Irving. He's an absolute difference maker when he is on the field. However, there has always been something a little off. Even after he was NFL Defensive Player of the Week two years go, this staff still wouldn't start him. Marinelli even said that Irving didn't do a the "little things" which in football is generally code for not consistently fulfilling his gap assignments and responsibilities.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Zoners tend to overvalue picks.

It's as if they forget who will be making those picks.

pg-24-Jones-DAL-draft-room20.ashx

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Didn’t we snatch David Irving from the Chiefs practice squad? I could be wrong on that by any means. Hypothetically if you told me we managed to get the best saftey in the league by flipping a practice squad DT from another team that we placed a second round tender on then I would tip my hat to the people behind that.

We managed to draft CB’s beyond the first round last year that had very good rookie years. We have probably not taken into consideration how bad this secondary has missed great CB’s and what impact that has on the defense.

The same season the Cowboys DT David Irving and DE Demarcus Lawrence gained attention for having breakout seasons falls into the same season that we positioned a whole new lineup of CB’s.

Add say Earl Thomas (an impact player at a position we could use a major threat at) by giving up Irving then plug in a young DT along with a young LB not to mention bringing in the coach from Seattle and I would like to believe we wouldn’t be missing Irving as much as we would think.

coult44

Reaction score
I would love the 36th pick for Irving. Can they choose which 2nd rounder to give up? I could see them giving up the 49th pick but not the 36th pick.

Wow. I swear y'all think the FO drafts well. I'm about to give up on our group here at CZ. Freaking amazing

garyv

Reaction score
Anyone who is excited about gaining a 2nd round pick for a guy that's already productive (he had better numbers than Suh last year even with the suspension) her so that we can draft a "maybe" is a fool. We drafted Taco in the 1st last year and I'd take Irving over him 100 times out of 100.

Some people see a draft pick and they go stupid.
I really don t think a 2nd Round pick is even worth it and wanted to pay 1 more million and use a 1st Round Tender.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
You are posting complete gibberish.
DLaw was a 2nd round pick.
DI was not even drafted.
There are better players than DI every year in round 2.

Where you MAY have a point is in getting player better NEXT YEAR on a 1 season scale than DI.

But largely fans are stupid. They are stupid because the media has made them this way.
Dallas has all the control over DI they could ever ask for. He is their property until someone blows DI away with a contract offer and they choose not to match.

As for where this draft picks have no or middling value stuff comes from it is insane.
Jimmy Johnson invented stockpiling draft picks and we won 3 Super Bowls because of it.
When you hear this stupidity that draft picks are overvalued tell those people to shut up.
I wouldn't say gibberish, it's factual & actually the truth. Now ur spill maybe that with Irving not being a draft pick like what does that have to do with it. Whether or not he was a draft pick is irrelevant. It's what's his value as a pick in regards to the draft. You give off the impression ur a informed fan so u know football, so tell me what D-line man coming in this year's draft that u can see has the potential to out perfom Irving this year?!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There seems to be this huge assumption that Eberflus and the Colts are clamoring for Irving. Have we seen any kind of confirmation on this? Or is everyone just wishfully thinking teams view Irving the same way we do? The knock on Irving is he is difficult to coach. Who knows if Eberflus has a great or combative relationship with Irving?

I like Irving. He's an absolute difference maker when he is on the field. However, there has always been something a little off. Even after he was NFL Defensive Player of the Week two years go, this staff still wouldn't start him. Marinelli even said that Irving didn't do a the "little things" which in football is generally code for not consistently fulfilling his gap assignments and responsibilities.

Yeah, you can see it this year as well. Go back and take a look at how many times the Eagles trapped David Irving, en route to running for over 200 yards against the Cowboys.

https://***BLOCKED***/163358/2017/1...rapped-cowboys-dt-david-irving-all-game-long/

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
It didnt seem like Irving was inclined to sign any offer that came his way, short of a block buster deal. He's said he's hoping to cash in big next season.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
You want get the production he brings from any 2nd Round Draft pick in this Draft
I similarly said something to this effect;:'-)) he got 7 sacks in 8 games or 8 sacks in 7 games, nevertheless he's a match up problem & a great asset to have on our D-LINE ...this notion ur gonna get someone better in this year's draft is maddening & upsetting. It's ridiculous & shows me why my organization I root for is in the predicament they are in...& The fans who brainwashes themselves into this thinking is just as appalling. Idiocracy in it's purest form..

Reaction score
Yeah, you can see it this year as well. Go back and take a look at how many times the Eagles trapped David Irving, en route to running for over 200 yards against the Cowboys.

https://***BLOCKED***/163358/2017/1...rapped-cowboys-dt-david-irving-all-game-long/

This is more of a function of our system where DTs are told to get up the field, than Irving being a bad player

birdwells1

Reaction score
You are posting complete gibberish.
DLaw was a 2nd round pick.
DI was not even drafted.
There are better players than DI every year in round 2.

Where you MAY have a point is in getting player better NEXT YEAR on a 1 season scale than DI.

But largely fans are stupid. They are stupid because the media has made them this way.
Dallas has all the control over DI they could ever ask for. He is their property until someone blows DI away with a contract offer and they choose not to match.

As for where this draft picks have no or middling value stuff comes from it is insane.
Jimmy Johnson invented stockpiling draft picks and we won 3 Super Bowls because of it.
When you hear this stupidity that draft picks are overvalued tell those people to shut up

Draft picks can be very valuable but it all depends on whose making the picks.

You can't build your team solely through the draft.

I do believe there's some merit to what the poster is saying because it doesn't make sense to gamble with a player with this type of production in an area that is lacking playmakers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is more of a function of our system where DTs are told to get up the field, than Irving being a bad player

Use whatever excuses you want for it. That's what happened.

Conversely, maybe Irving is such a "great player" because he simply barrages upfield and ignores anything else? And maybe that's exactly what he's been a part time player for his career?

But nah, that might paint him or the Cowboys ina a negatively light and therefore can't be possible...

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I’m torn I’d like to keep Irving but the second round pick is tempting....
Draft picks can be very valuable but it all depends on whose making the picks.

You can't build your team solely through the draft.

I do believe there's some merit to what the poster is saying because it doesn't make sense to gamble with a player with this type of production in an area that is lacking playmakers.
The pick we would get for Irving would most likely go towards acquiring Earl Thomas not necessarily for picking a rookie in the draft in my personal opinion. I would like to see another DT selected in the draft regardless of the outcome.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m torn I’d like to keep Irving but the second round pick is tempting....
Why is the 2nd round pick so tempting?

So that we can draft a guy, who if we are very lucky, may one day be close to as good as David Irving?

Irving is an absolute freak stud athlete who is about to enter his prime. He has single handedly taken over and dominated multiple games.

Even Demarcus Ware rarely ever took over entire games all by himself the way Irving has.