Opinion: Color Irving Gone

Rayman70

Reaction score
Should have signed Irving to a 2 year contract. Give the man 10 million for 2 years. Almost twice his tender. He probly would have signed it.
Maybe they wanna see what he does for a full season...ie like DLAW...meaning PROVE YOU CAN STAY ON THE FIELD/HEALTHY. Its a double edged sword. I don't fault them for waiting and seeing what he does in a contract year.Its good business.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It is incredibly dumb to take a 2nd round pick for Irving...if the year Irving came out of college was redone he'd EASILY be a top 10 pick. He is 24 years old and coming into his prime. Anybody who would give away a talent like Irving in hopes they could draft his replacement or an equally talented player is a complete moron. The odds are so low its not even funny. He's had ONE concussion...so many players have had a concussion before and his injury history is relatively small other than that single concussion last year. He had 7 sacks in 8 games last year and was an absolute stud when on the field and Lawrence played MUCH better with him out there. The amount of talent and potential he has shown is well worth more than a 2nd round pick and if he plays 16 games this year and has a good season you sign him for whatever he wants. You don't let players go of his quality at his age, PERIOD.
That is complete and total nonsense.
David Irving has played 52 games in that 3 years. He has 11.5 sacks total.

Would he be a Round 1 pick? Maybe. Top 10? Absolutely not.
In all liklihood he would be an R2 guy.
You are in year 4 looking for him to dominate.

Dallas picked Demarcus Lawrence with pick 34.
Dallas picked Demarcus Ware with pick 11.

11.5 sacks over 3 years for a guy picked top 10? Nope.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe they wanna see what he does for a full season...ie like DLAW...meaning PROVE YOU CAN STAY ON THE FIELD/HEALTHY. Its a double edged sword. I don't fault them for waiting and seeing what he does in a contract year.Its good business.
But can cost us big time. We will probly lose D-Law next season unless we want to pay through the nose. Could have possibly wrapped Irving up for 2 years. I hate to see us have to use a high round pick to try to replace him cause we ain’t gonna be able to do it. If Irving stays healthy he will be better than D-Law. Kid is young and hungry also. Skill set is off the charts. We need those 2 in our D-Line this season.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That is complete and total nonsense.
David Irving has played 52 games in that 3 years. He has 11.5 sacks total.

Would he be a Round 1 pick? Maybe. Top 10? Absolutely not.
In all liklihood he would be an R2 guy.
You are in year 4 looking for him to dominate.

Dallas picked Demarcus Lawrence with pick 34.
Dallas picked Demarcus Ware with pick 11.

11.5 sacks over 3 years for a guy picked top 10? Nope.
I think hypothetically...if we trade Irving to Seattle(2nd round equiv.)...plus 2018 3rd..for Earl Thomas,I think Seattle would jump on that. Irving would start for them in their rotation/system. Its a need for them too. They lost Benett...so it makes sense.Thoughts?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Only problem is,what if we trade Irving and he balls out and performs great? Then we can't replace him? That's my worry...having a decent player we can plug in if we trade him. Remember guys...talkin trades are all nice,but when you do that its cause and affect. You had better have a replacement in mind,or its a bad deal. Final point is this...if we trade him it almost puts us in a bind..we then would have to fill that void with a draftee and or a high priced free agent...like Suh(not a fan).

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think hypothetically...if we trade Irving to Seattle(2nd round equiv.)...plus 2018 3rd..for Earl Thomas,I think Seattle would jump on that. Irving would start for them in their rotation/system. Its a need for them too. They lost Benett...so it makes sense.Thoughts?
Match the offer plus one dollar. Keep Irving this year. I would rather try to draft a safety and roll with what we have already in the secondary. With Irvin and D-Law putting pressure on the qb it will make our secondary look a lot better. Best safety in the league can’t cover all day. No pressure and any qb would eat our secondary up.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I love ET.
He's a Texas kid and great player but we'd be trading off a lot for the chance to pay 11m a year at FS.
I hate paying for past performance with another team. Hurts enough doing so with say Dez or Witten who at least earned their money being All-Pro here.

I think I'd rather take 36 and put it with 19(or add 50 and keep 36) and trade up for Derwin James or Roquan Smith.
I have another young building block on defense locked up for 4-5 years and the combined cap space is great as DI frees up the amount you pay James or Smith.

ET is prolly 90% of his prime this season but that number will reduce weekly if not daily.
He may only be say 80% 2019 and you are paying 11M.

What is clear is Dallas doesn't need 11 draft picks. So I do think you see some movement by them.
This Draft is where Dallas needs to hit a home run. Add 3 or 4 guys to this young team that can go win titles.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
The whole trading of Irving has nothing to do with immaturity, concussions, or anything that's being promoted out there.its just talking points for fans& media personalities to ponder about & it's alarming to see how many so called Cowboys fans take to that sentiment & where do u get these ideas from. The team of course. Which is problematic@ it's core when u actually think about it. There is no 2nd pick that anybody could pick that would have the impact this player has had in his time on the field. The contract is so team friendly for a player with his skill set& his upside & potential whether it's a 1st round or 2nd round tender & it should be a 1st round tender but this team doesn't want Irving & they don't want to scare off teams with the 1st round tender, but they wanna be compensated for their loss so that's the reasoning for the 2nd round tender. I have read a lot of posts from posters & none & I repeat none have touched on the real subject@ hand on why they don't like the player. Whats sad& disconcerting is it has nothing to do with football. I will admit through my family, friends,connections I'm a bit more informed than the average fan so I know what it is..& I won't get into detail about it but I would say this. Irving is from California & Compton CA to be exact. He is also friends with Scandrick who along to is from California, y'all don't see the correlation...& Let me add this both are not fond of someone or something that Jerry& Company are fond of...so u see, it's not about football, it's about politics & that's disheartening because politics should be left out & it should be strictly about football & since it's not then legitimately ur not as a organization trying to field the best team u can, ur trying to build a team to reflect whatever view u would like it to be in the mold of. This is the very reason why this team will not win this year or next years, it simply won't win because that's not the overall goal is for this team to win& I'll give it to u in obvious examples. The whole keeping of Kellen Moore as a backup, influencing the roster & then to ultimately bring him on as a coach ( a QB coach of all coaches) to coach a player who essentially beat him out as a player is ideal& the proper move is absolutely asinine & proof to the ones who are deceived that this team ain't about Fielding or bettering the team as a whole, it's about politics & the bottom line which is money, which is the reasoning of the Politics. To the not informed...keep thinking it's about Irving & the many worries of him as a player, u could attribute those worries to any player in the entire league. You would like to believe that..but I'm here to tell you.. nothing could be further from the truth ala like politics:;'-))

rags747

Reaction score
i hope the Colts take him for a 2nd but I dont see that happening. There is no way we sign him as a FA next year anyway with Lawrence and Martin due to sign huge contracts.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Match the offer plus one dollar. Keep Irving this year. I would rather try to draft a safety and roll with what we have already in the secondary. With Irvin and D-Law putting pressure on the qb it will make our secondary look a lot better. Best safety in the league can’t cover all day. No pressure and any qb would eat our secondary up.
Don't have to beat any offer. Just match it.
DI isn't signing any cheese deal.
And what team would give up a 2nd to sign a guy on a 1 year deal anyway?

All these teams have to compete to offer him the best deal and then he can only sign one offer.
Dallas can match no matter what that offer is if they so choose.
So Dallas is guaranteed at least a 2nd round pick or DI playing for 3m this year.
That's pretty darn good.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
With the trade of the Jets to the Colts for #3, the Colts now have #6, #36, #37 and #49. With our former LB coach as the DC there, giving up #36 for Irving will probably be a done deal. Sure they can sign him to a contract that Dallas will not match.

Heck, wouldn't be surprising to see Colts throw in another pick to get Scandrick and Hanna with the extra draft capital. At least we should see some movement from Dallas this week of the FA front.
Scandrick being released.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I love ET.
He's a Texas kid and great player but we'd be trading off a lot for the chance to pay 11m a year at FS.
I hate paying for past performance with another team. Hurts enough doing so with say Dez or Witten who at least earned their money being All-Pro here.

I think I'd rather take 36 and put it with 19(or add 50 and keep 36) and trade up for Derwin James or Roquan Smith.
I have another young building block on defense locked up for 4-5 years and the combined cap space is great as DI frees up the amount you pay James or Smith.

ET is prolly 90% of his prime this season but that number will reduce weekly if not daily.
He may only be say 80% 2019 and you are paying 11M.

What is clear is Dallas doesn't need 11 draft picks. So I do think you see some movement by them.
This Draft is where Dallas needs to hit a home run. Add 3 or 4 guys to this young team that can go win titles.
That's a good point on the 11 picks...we don't need them really...we just need 2 or 3 studs and some depth..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The whole trading of Irving has nothing to do with immaturity, concussions, or anything that's being promoted out there.its just talking points for fans& media personalities to ponder about & it's alarming to see how many so called Cowboys fans take to that sentiment & where do u get these ideas from. The team of course. Which is problematic@ it's core when u actually think about it. There is no 2nd pick that anybody could pick that would have the impact this player has had in his time on the field. The contract is so team friendly for a player with his skill set& his upside & potential whether it's a 1st round or 2nd round tender & it should be a 1st round tender but this team doesn't want Irving & they don't want to scare off teams with the 1st round tender, but they wanna be compensated for their loss so that's the reasoning for the 2nd round tender. I have read a lot of posts from posters & none & I repeat none have touched on the real subject@ hand on why they don't like the player. Whats sad& disconcerting is it has nothing to do with football. I will admit through my family, friends,connections I'm a bit more informed than the average fan so I know what it is..& I won't get into detail about it but I would say this. Irving is from California & Compton CA to be exact. He is also friends with Scandrick who along to is from California, y'all don't see the correlation...& Let me add this both are not fond of someone or something that Jerry& Company are fond of...so u see, it's not about football, it's about politics & that's disheartening because politics should be left out & it should be strictly about football & since it's not then legitimately ur not as a organization trying to field the best team u can, ur trying to build a team to reflect whatever view u would like it to be in the mold of. This is the very reason why this team will not win this year or next years, it simply won't win because that's not the overall goal is for this team to win& I'll give it to u in obvious examples. The whole keeping of Kellen Moore as a backup, influencing the roster & then to ultimately bring him on as a coach ( a QB coach of all coaches) to coach a player who essentially beat him out as a player is ideal& the proper move is absolutely asinine & proof to the ones who are deceived that this team ain't about Fielding or bettering the team as a whole, it's about politics & the bottom line which is money, which is the reasoning of the Politics. To the not informed...keep thinking it's about Irving & the many worries of him as a player, u could attribute those worries to any player in the entire league. You would like to believe that..but I'm here to tell you.. nothing could be further from the truth ala like politics:;'-))
You are posting complete gibberish.
DLaw was a 2nd round pick.
DI was not even drafted.
There are better players than DI every year in round 2.

Where you MAY have a point is in getting player better NEXT YEAR on a 1 season scale than DI.

But largely fans are stupid. They are stupid because the media has made them this way.
Dallas has all the control over DI they could ever ask for. He is their property until someone blows DI away with a contract offer and they choose not to match.

As for where this draft picks have no or middling value stuff comes from it is insane.
Jimmy Johnson invented stockpiling draft picks and we won 3 Super Bowls because of it.
When you hear this stupidity that draft picks are overvalued tell those people to shut up.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm no GM..or capologist lol..but its just good sense if Irving gets traded to Seattle.Its a win win for both sides. He gets a chance to start in a system that may fit his skills...and we get ET. A huge need. As long as we don't give up a 1st round pick. Those are currency and I'm not ok trading away high picks.