Opinion on an interview suit.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
theogt;3767282 said:
1. Do NOT get a black suit. Men do not wear black suits unless it's a funeral or the like. Get a navy or a charcoal suit. Pinstripes are fine as long as they're subtle. If you don't know what a subtle pinstripe is, err on the side of no pattern on the suit.

2. If you're willing to spend $500, go ahead and step up to Jos. A Bank. They have a decent quality/cost ratio at that price range and are a league above Mens Wearhouse. Hit them up now during their end of year sale.

3. Unless you're 6'2"+, do NOT go with a 3-button.

4. At no point do you ever wear a double breasted suit. Or a 3-piece.

These aren't debatable guidelines. These are must abide by rules. Also, you must buy good dress shoes. Do NOT buy shoes with a thick rubber sole. If there's anything you listen to, listen to this: do NOT buy shoes with rubber soles. You don't wear rubber-soled shoes with a suit. I have no idea why anyone would think that's acceptable. If you have a navy suit, wear dark brown shoes. If you have a grey suit, wear black shoes.

Opinions - everyone has them.

2-button suits make you look like you're short/fat unless you're 6'2"+ in my opinion.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3768720 said:
Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

Just because I like to pick nits, it is "all right" and not "alright". Alright is an improper contraction in the same style of "ain't". English professor hammered that home one afternoon this past semester.

Your English professor annoys me. :p: I was an English major as well, and I've run into plenty of grammar ***** over the years who mistakenly believe that grammar is a science... it is not.

Alright is rarely preferred, but is generally acceptable, especially in informal writing (such as a message board).

Most dictionaries recognize alright as a word, defining it as "all right."

However, some usage and style guides do (correctly) recognize that "alright" and "all right" can have subtle differences in meaning.

For instance, let's say you're arguing with your wife over the correct way to carve the Christmas turkey. You finally give up:

"All right, we'll do it your way." Indicates that she is "all right" -- 100% correct.

"Alright, we'll do it your way." Makes no such concession... in fact, there is a sense of begrudging agreement implied.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Kangaroo;3768751 said:
I am in the tech field so it is different and I am in Texas so that helps I am sure. So do you guys frown at Cowboy boots I wear them for several reasons one of them has to do with an ankle that has never ever been the same since I had a bone chip removed. As I gotten older the my ankle would go through issues where my tendon basically flares up and swells (according to the Doc kind of like a tennis elbow) and it feels like someone took a baseball bat to the side of my ankle. I switched to Cowboy boots ten years ago and a lot of this has disappeared because it gives me better support and I do not have to break out a stupid ankle brace.
Dressy cowboy boots are perfectly fine. Particularly (only?) in Texas. :)

nyc;3768843 said:
No it isn't. You should be beaten and stabbed if you wear light brown shoes with a navy suit.
Absolutely it is. This gets more into the "fashion" arena, though, so that's a bit more about "wear what you're comfortable with." Light brown shoes is perfectly acceptable and looks more stylish. But it does begin to get into the foppish/dandy territory.

casmith07;3768891 said:

2-button suits make you look like you're short/fat unless you're 6'2"+ in my opinion.
Like I said, the rules I laid out aren't opinions. Almost no one wears 3-button suits. Most often they look odd, though I've seen some occasions where people can pull it off. Best to just stick with 2-button.

--------

Also, I failed to mention shirts, which is pretty important. Only wear a light blue or a white shirt. No dark colors whatsoever.

Do not wear a button down collar with a tie. And do not get a wide collar shirt. The Brooks Brothers "ainsley point" collar is about as wide as is acceptable.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Danny White;3769037 said:
"All right, we'll do it your way." Indicates that she is "all right" -- 100% correct.

"Alright, we'll do it your way." Makes no such concession... in fact, there is a sense of begrudging agreement implied.

You are right that is doesn't make the concession implied by the original "all right", but it does is in fact make a concession. It implies a concession even if the person doesn't agree with it. (gives up the fight)

Example:
Bob: "I want it this way, not that way."
Bob's wife: "Oh alright, have it your way!"​

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
casmith07;3768891 said:

That's extremely odd....popular opinion is the exact opposite. In fact, most people/experts would suggest that the 3 button is far more flattering to taller men (6'2"+), and that the 2 button is a more flattering option to men of shorter stature.

..but you're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion....even if it's wrong. :D j/k

Just like the Newman haters!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3769068 said:
You are right that is doesn't make the concession implied by the original "all right", but it does is in fact make a concession. It implies a concession even if the person doesn't agree with it. (gives up the fight)

Example:
Bob: "I want it this way, not that way."
Bob's wife: "Oh alright, have it your way!"​
False!

No one would ever marry Bob.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3769065 said:
Absolutely it is. This gets more into the "fashion" arena, though, so that's a bit more about "wear what you're comfortable with." Light brown shoes is perfectly acceptable and looks more stylish. But it does begin to get into the foppish/dandy territory.

Actually, it's considered a fashion faux pa to wear light brown shoes with navy blue suit. ;)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;3769079 said:
Actually, it's considered a fashion faux pa to wear light brown shoes with navy blue suit. ;)
Um....no, not at all.

This shoe would go well with a navy suit or a navy blazer.

Foster+casual+full+brogue+2261.gif

This is a little too light for my tastes, but here's a picture of suit/shoe combo by the author of the "A Suitable Wardrobe" blog.

cream.JPG

Kangaroo

Reaction score
theogt;3769065 said:
Dressy cowboy boots are perfectly fine. Particularly (only?) in Texas. :)

Like I said, the rules I laid out aren't opinions. Almost no one wears 3-button suits. Most often they look odd, though I've seen some occasions where people can pull it off. Best to just stick with 2-button.

--------

Also, I failed to mention shirts, which is pretty important. Only wear a light blue or a white shirt. No dark colors whatsoever.

Do not wear a button down collar with a tie. And do not get a wide collar shirt. The Brooks Brothers "ainsley point" collar is about as wide as is acceptable.

Haha I hate White shirts and refuse to wear them. I have done the light blue several times :D

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
theogt;3767678 said:
You disagree because you lack the experience and knowledge.

I thought you were a lawyer, not the fashion police.

If you knew anything about me your line I quoted would be inaccurate. I work in the financial industry so I know alot about dressing professional and in suits. Secondly, I interview people for jobs where I work regularly, so I know what alot of people are wearing.

The right suit does matter, but like someone else said, the culture of the company matters equally, if not more. If you're interviewing for a creative company, ie. Apple, Google, Ralph Lauren, Gucci, then you're going to want to have a little more flair to your style. Also, with those style companies, I'd recommend a two-button suit because it's trendy and usually worn by creative types. I would also include a brighter color shirt and and complimentry tie. One of the most important tips of clothing is what you're wearing should all compliment and not match each other or you will look like you're in a uniform.

If you're interviewing for a more conservative/professional company, then three-button, grey, black, or navy.

And there are no such thing as fashion rules, just tips:
If you're a skinny/average guy:

-don't wear pleats, they'll make you look big in the thighs.
-wear fitted shirts, not so they look like underarmour but so they don't blouse out.
-cuffs on pants look more professional.
-side vents vs. single vent is up to you, but side vents are recommended if you do alot of sitting down.
-wear a belt or suspenders, but never both.
-don't wear a shirt that is the same color as your pants/jacket.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Number82;3769145 said:
I thought you were a lawyer, not the fashion police.

If you knew anything about me your line I quoted would be inaccurate. I work in the financial industry so I know alot about dressing professional and in suits. Secondly, I interview people for jobs where I work regularly, so I know what alot of people are wearing.

The right suit does matter, but like someone else said, the culture of the company matters equally, if not more. If you're interviewing for a creative company, ie. Apple, Google, Ralph Lauren, Gucci, then you're going to want to have a little more flair to your style. Also, with those style companies, I'd recommend a two-button suit because it's trendy and usually worn by creative types. I would also include a brighter color shirt and and complimentry tie. One of the most important tips of clothing is what you're wearing should all compliment and not match each other or you will look like you're in a uniform.

If you're interviewing for a more conservative/professional company, then three-button, grey, black, or navy.

And there are no such thing as fashion rules, just tips:
If you're a skinny/average guy:

-don't wear pleats, they'll make you look big in the thighs.
-wear fitted shirts, not so they look like underarmour but so they don't blouse out.
-cuffs on pants look more professional.
-side vents vs. single vent is up to you,
but side vents are recommended if you do alot of sitting down.
-wear a belt or suspenders, but never both.
-don't wear a shirt that is the same color as your pants/jacket.
The bolded is good advice. Ignore the rest. And for the sake of all that is holy in this world, please never wear suspenders. They're never acceptable.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;3769095 said:
Um....no, not at all.

This shoe would go well with a navy suit or a navy blazer.

Foster+casual+full+brogue+2261.gif

This is a little too light for my tastes, but here's a picture of suit/shoe combo by the author of the "A Suitable Wardrobe" blog.

cream.JPG
The man wearing those shoes with that suit should be slaughtered where he sits.

His color selection reminds me of Craig Sager.

craig-sager1.jpg

rkell87

Reaction score
went to MW today, sales person was very knowledgeable and said almost verbatim what theo said, though he added that Burgundy shoes are acceptable and look sharper with the navy suit, when the alterations are done i will go and try on some shoes and possibly take advantage of the 2 for 1 deal again. oh and i got the same suit(two button) in charcoal and navy, no pleats(without seeing number82s comment) i thought pleats made my pants look baggy.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
rkell87;3770298 said:
went to MW today, sales person was very knowledgeable and said almost verbatim what theo said, though he added that Burgundy shoes are acceptable and look sharper with the navy suit, when the alterations are done i will go and try on some shoes and possibly take advantage of the 2 for 1 deal again. oh and i got the same suit(two button) in charcoal and navy, no pleats(without seeing number82s comment) i thought pleats made my pants look baggy.

Joseph A. Banks has a better deal between now and the second of January. It's the sale the guy on the phone mentioned yesterday to me. I thought he meant the new sale was in a few weeks, not immediately.

65% off everything.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/SubCategory_11001_10050_1001500

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
theo's advice I think is the best in this thread. When interviewing, just stick with as conservative as possible. Please avoid 3-button suits unless you are a taller guy. Also, when getting your suit fit, be mindful of the shoulders. If the shoulders aren't right, the rest of the jacket isn't right. Shoulders should not stick out too much and should not rumple inwards. If they do, the jacket shoulders are too big. If you stand next to the wall in the fitting room with your arms straight down and you gently tilt towards the wall....if the jacket shoulders hit the wall way before your upper arm/elbow does the shoulders are too big. Please pay attention to this; too many people don't and end up looking like they are a kid wearing their dad's suit or something. As far as length goes, when your arms are straight by your side, your jacket should hit at or around the midpoint of your thumb.

Jos A Bank is better than the designer label garbage you will find on the racks at typical department stores, but is still rather meh. Personally I think its too pricey for what you get, unless you are getting in on one of their buy 1 get 1 free/half off/buy two get 1 free/whatever crazy deals.

Men's Wearhouse is absolute trash, avoid at all costs.

I like Brooks Brothers a good deal, their fits are superior to the off-the-rack stuff at MW or JAB and the like, materials are superior and the guys in the store know how a suit should fit and what needs to be done to one to make it fit you. Guys at big chains or dept stores don't give a damn and just want to make the sale for their commission. J Press makes nice suits as well. Also, pay a visit to your local menswear shops, nearly every medium size-large city has a couple of venerable old menswear shops that will carry higher quality merchandise from labels you probably won't recognize, like Southwick.

For ties, i buy lots of 'em on ebay. Ties on the 'bay are cheap, even from places like Brooks. Buy a lot of 'em, keep the good ones and toss the ones that don't make the cut.

Shoes I would actually spend some money here. I see too many people at work walking around in awful looking "dress" shoes that havent been taken care of, all creased and marked up because its thin cowhide with stitches fraying. And most of them aren't even stiched into the sole. The uppers are just glued to an all-rubber heel. Go with something that has a leather sole, is stiched, and from a reputable maker like Allen Edmonds or (if you can afford it) Alden. 200-400 bucks for shoes might seem steep, but not when you consider these were meant to be cared for and if properly done so, will last you for 20 years. If you cant quite drop that much money on a shoe, get a decent midrange brand like Johnston and Murphy or something.

Shirts, dont really matter that much since they will be under your jacket. Just make sure you stick with a regular point collar, no button-downs. That's far too casual for a suit. Make sure the sleeve length is correct; you should have a bit of cuff showing under your jacket but that's it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Buying ties on eBay is one of my guilty pleasures. I have a lot of colleagues that spend hundreds on ties and I can't fathom it. There's nothing to a tie, it's just folded fabric. You should never spend over $100 on a tie.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend buying a tie on eBay for a "noob". You can spot a cheap looking tie from a mile away, so if you just buy some random $20 tie on eBay, chances are it's hideous.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
theogt;3770521 said:
Buying ties on eBay is one of my guilty pleasures. I have a lot of colleagues that spend hundreds on ties and I can't fathom it. There's nothing to a tie, it's just folded fabric. You should never spend over $100 on a tie.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend buying a tie on eBay for a "noob". You can spot a cheap looking tie from a mile away, so if you just buy some random $20 tie on eBay, chances are it's hideous.

Unless you target certain labels. You can buy a lot of old brooks bros. or JPress ties, for example, on ebay for like ~5 apiece.