OPINION: Our new Head Coach should be Mike Zimmer

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
While I expect the GROZ camp to rip me on this post, I think it’s unfounded and I’ll stick by my opinion. Mike Zimmer should be our next head coach – either next year if Parcells retires, or the year after if Parcells decides to play-out his contract.

I like mike Zimmer and I like him as a coach. Even Parcells saw a lot in him, which is why he talked him into staying in the NFL vs. becoming a head coach in college. Parcells even challenged him to learn/run the 3-4 and Zimmer did. Before Ellis went down, Zimmer was on the verge of making this a top-notch 3-4 defense. Much like he did with the 4-3 only several years ago. Post Ellis’ injury, Parcells forced Zimmer to stay in a conservative 3-4 set and that forced the defensive slide. It wasn’t until Parcells loosened his leash on Zimmer a bit that we saw more 4-3 alignments of late, which worked well in the playoffs when used (it was the Parcells-imposed 3-4 fronts that really cost us defensively against Seattle).

The point is this. The GROZ camp wants Zimmer gone so badly, but what you campers don’t realize is that Zimmer is a great defensive couch who can mount a solid defense if only Parcells lets him do it his way. After last season, we all thought that Sean Payton was too conservative and vanilla in his play calling, only to find out that what was really holding Payton back was Parcells in Dallas, and Jim Fassal before him in New York. Payton turned out quite well without the stubborn obstacles before him because he’s forward thinking. I see Zimmer the same way – he could easily have gone to college to run a 4-3 defense, yet he took on the challenge to stay and run the 3-4.

That says a lot about Zimmer’s abilities and I think that without Parcells in his way, he can run the Cowboys and lead the 4-3 defense attack with some 3-4 wrinkles. This move would make some good sense because Zimmer already knows the schemes and his players, and this team has been built on defense over the last few drafts. Also, because Zimmer is a defensive coach, as head coach he would bring in his own offensive coordinator who can still implement whatever changes/improvements that he wants to on offense. With Zimmer at the healm, we could build on and solidify the defensive players/schemes in place and turn attention to the offense with some new leadership/coordinator solely focused on that. I think it would be a win-win, and my only hope is that Parcells retires/gets out of the way so we can get this team going once and for all.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Sorry fellas, those replies won't cut it. Tell me why? Or won't you 'cause you can't? I know you can't cahlenge the fact that when Zimmer was rnning hte 4-3 he was using Roy Willimas the right way to take advantage of his strengths. You can't challenge the fact that with lesser talent Zimmer still had the #1 defense. You can't cxhallenge the fact that the defense only slid when Parcells made his own impositions on it, much like he choked the offense when he held Payton back. You can't challenge the fact htat Zimmer showed verstility by learning the 3-4 in such a short time and running it well with more of the pieces in place. No, you can't challenge ANY OF IT so all you post is simple-minded "GROZ" replies. Yeah, very constructuve that is! :rolleyes: If you can't say why, don't bother saying anything at all.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1300023 said:
What, Campo not available???:banghead:

Sorry fellas, those replies won't cut it. Tell me why? Or won't you 'cause you can't? I know you can't cahlenge the fact that when Zimmer was rnning hte 4-3 he was using Roy Willimas the right way to take advantage of his strengths. You can't challenge the fact that with lesser talent Zimmer still had the #1 defense. You can't cxhallenge the fact that the defense only slid when Parcells made his own impositions on it, much like he choked the offense when he held Payton back. You can't challenge the fact htat Zimmer showed verstility by learning the 3-4 in such a short time and running it well with more of the pieces in place. No, you can't challenge ANY OF IT so all you post simple-minded "GROZ" replies. Yeah, very constructuve that is! If you can't say why, don't bother saying anything at all.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Zimmer only had one real good defense in 2003. So IMO that makes it the exception rather than the norm.

aikemirv

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1300007 said:
Sorry fellas, those replies won't cut it. Tell me why? Or won't you 'cause you can't? I know you can't cahlenge the fact that when Zimmer was rnning hte 4-3 he was using Roy Willimas the right way to take advantage of his strengths. You can't challenge the fact that with lesser talent Zimmer still had the #1 defense. You can't cxhallenge the fact that the defense only slid when Parcells made his own impositions on it, much like he choked the offense when he held Payton back. You can't challenge the fact htat Zimmer showed verstility by learning the 3-4 in such a short time and running it well with more of the pieces in place. No, you can't challenge ANY OF IT so all you post is simple-minded "GROZ" replies. Yeah, very constructuve that is! :rolleyes: If you can't say why, don't bother saying anything at all.

I will tell you why not.

He did not even get a single interview from the many teams that were looking for coaches last year, did he? Maybe one.

That pretty much sums up his view by league owners and GM's does it not.

Why are you so much smarter?

and

What is the consistent link between CB's who don't look for the ball, LB's who do not cover well at all, complete breakdowns in assignmets over the last many years?

I bet it only takes one guess.

gbrittain

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1299978 said:
While I expect the GROZ camp to rip me on this post, I think it’s unfounded and I’ll stick by my opinion. Mike Zimmer should be our next head coach – either next year if Parcells retires, or the year after if Parcells decides to play-out his contract.

I like mike Zimmer and I like him as a coach. Even Parcells saw a lot in him, which is why he talked him into staying in the NFL vs. becoming a head coach in college. Parcells even challenged him to learn/run the 3-4 and Zimmer did. Before Ellis went down, Zimmer was on the verge of making this a top-notch 3-4 defense. Much like he did with the 4-3 only several years ago. Post Ellis’ injury, Parcells forced Zimmer to stay in a conservative 3-4 set and that forced the defensive slide. It wasn’t until Parcells loosened his leash on Zimmer a bit that we saw more 4-3 alignments of late, which worked well in the playoffs when used (it was the Parcells-imposed 3-4 fronts that really cost us defensively against Seattle).

The point is this. The GROZ camp wants Zimmer gone so badly, but what you campers don’t realize is that Zimmer is a great defensive couch who can mount a solid defense if only Parcells lets him do it his way. After last season, we all thought that Sean Payton was too conservative and vanilla in his play calling, only to find out that what was really holding Payton back was Parcells in Dallas, and Jim Fassal before him in New York. Payton turned out quite well without the stubborn obstacles before him because he’s forward thinking. I see Zimmer the same way – he could easily have gone to college to run a 4-3 defense, yet he took on the challenge to stay and run the 3-4.

That says a lot about Zimmer’s abilities and I think that without Parcells in his way, he can run the Cowboys and lead the 4-3 defense attack with some 3-4 wrinkles. This move would make some good sense because Zimmer already knows the schemes and his players, and this team has been built on defense over the last few drafts. Also, because Zimmer is a defensive coach, as head coach he would bring in his own offensive coordinator who can still implement whatever changes/improvements that he wants to on offense. With Zimmer at the healm, we could build on and solidify the defensive players/schemes in place and turn attention to the offense with some new leadership/coordinator solely focused on that. I think it would be a win-win, and my only hope is that Parcells retires/gets out of the way so we can get this team going once and for all.

Zimmer is a great defensive couch

I do not know, but I can see him making a great couch too. As a real defensive coordinator is calling the plays Zimmer could be on all fours and Canty, Ferguson and Spears could all sit on him. I think he would make a fine couch myself.:D

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
aikemirv;1300043 said:
I will tell you why not.

He did not even get a single interview from the many teams that were looking for coaches last year, did he? Maybe one.

That pretty much sums up his view by league owners and GM's does it not.

Why are you so much smarter?

And the year before last, neither did Payton, yet here he his playing Coach Of The Year.

Rember the big red buzzing X from the Family Feud when an incorect response was given? I have to give that to your reply right now. I mean no disrespect by that, but you'll have to do much better than that. really!

Haley94

Reaction score
Did you ever here him talk. He sounds like a mouse. Imagine press conferences with him. And don't say that handling the press shouldn't matter.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1300053 said:
And the year before last, neither did Payton, yet here he his playing Coach Of The Year.

Rember the big red buzzing X from the Family Feud when an incorect response was given? I have to give that to your reply right now. I mean no disrespect by that, but you'll have to do much better than that. really!

um the raiders offered payton the job there smarty pants.

dude zimmer literally had one decent year. He has shown no versatility and little to no creativity. He isn't even a good coordinator. Maybe he was an ok positions coach but I am not even sold on that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AMERICAS_FAN;1300007 said:

The Giants' offense struggled when Payton was calling it. It played much better when Fassel took over. That's the way I remembered it. Then when Parcells brought it Payton, the Giants did not object to him leaving.

Now maybe he learned from that point and became better obviously. But that may not be the same with Zimmer.

I understand what you are saying and your reasoning. But I do not think BP puts that much of a restraint on Zimmer. If he did, why even have him. Our defenses never excelled under Zimmer, the players do not seem to ever fired up. He is not over there coaching them on the sideline when the screw up, yelling at them either.

It's not to say he wouldn't be a good HC, but I have seen NOTHING that says he will be a good one either. Are you willing to take that chance with this talented team, and have another wasted 4 years, byt then they will be needing all new players. So another new HC...another 4 years.

Go with the proven coaches.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1300028 said:
Sorry fellas, those replies won't cut it. Tell me why? Or won't you 'cause you can't? I know you can't cahlenge the fact that when Zimmer was rnning hte 4-3 he was using Roy Willimas the right way to take advantage of his strengths. You can't challenge the fact that with lesser talent Zimmer still had the #1 defense. You can't cxhallenge the fact that the defense only slid when Parcells made his own impositions on it, much like he choked the offense when he held Payton back. You can't challenge the fact htat Zimmer showed verstility by learning the 3-4 in such a short time and running it well with more of the pieces in place. No, you can't challenge ANY OF IT so all you post simple-minded "GROZ" replies. Yeah, very constructuve that is! If you can't say why, don't bother saying anything at all.

You can challenge the fact that that defense gave up play after play with games on the line.

How in the world has this 3-4 been run well?