OPINION: Our new Head Coach should be Mike Zimmer

TtownCowboy

Reaction score
Zimmer had one year w/a number one defense. Other than that the guy has the same philosophy now under Parcells as what he had w/that #1 defense and before Parcells was here. Bend don't break. You can like that vanilla D all you want to, but not me. He's proven 2 things as a D-Coordinator in my opinion. He can't create a pass rush to save his life, 3-4 or 4-3 for that matter, and his defensive backs don't play the ball, they don't go for pics. They are passive not attacking. Kind of sums up Zimmers defenses pre and probably post Parcells.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
TtownCowboy;1300419 said:
Zimmer had one year w/a number one defense. Other than that the guy has the same philosophy now under Parcells as what he had w/that #1 defense and before Parcells was here. Bend don't break. You can like that vanilla D all you want to, but not me. He's proven 2 things as a D-Coordinator in my opinion. He can't create a pass rush to save his life, 3-4 or 4-3 for that matter, and his defensive backs don't play the ball, they don't go for pics. They are passive not attacking. Kind of sums up Zimmers defenses pre and probably post Parcells.

its funny to me how people never think to blame the players. isnt that who is playing the game? yes i know dallas doesnt run stunts. and blitz as much as they should. but dont u think maybe, just maybe a player not a coach can make a move off one of the OL instead of waltzing with them for the whole play? just make some kind of attempt?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1300409 said:
its possible, but Zimmer was a conservative boob that couldnt develop pass rushes before Parcells got here too

David

the 2003 all-out blitz wasn't conservative

Parcells says he's aggressive, and creative

maybe it's possible that you still don't understand that BP is controlling everything according to his whims...

yeah, I think that's it

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The defense has struggled and underachieved all year so lets promote the defensive coordinator to head coach. That makes total sense.

Sounds too similar to an Al Davis move. Just read that the leading candidate to replace Shell is the current Raider offensive coordinator. LOL, nothing like promoting the guy that ran the most pathetic offense in the NFL instead of their defensive coordinator who did a heck of a job this year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skin;1300251 said:
For someone to say, as jazzcat22 did, that BP is not placing restrictions on Zimmer is ridiculous. If anyone on here thinks that Purcells isn't running the show on D, you're off your rocker. I can't imagine that he is not dictating personnel, scheme, philosophy, etc. to the defensive coaches. I think that Zimmer was a good coach in a 4-3; it's Bill's fault for having made him a 3-4 coach. I still like ZImmer, but I don't see how he can stay. The reality is that Purcells will just install a puppet at D Coordinator, like Saprano and Haley on the O-side. There is no room for a big name DC in Bill's World, his ego won't allow it.

I did n't say it as BP is giving free run for Zimmer. Of course BP has some strangle hold on this, but not to the point everyone thinks he does.
He has a stranglehold on the offense, hence no OC. If he has that with the defense, then why have a DC. Just have Defensive assitants as he does on Offense.

Just my opinion, right or wrong, and it doesn't really matter. Just stating it.

deadrody

Reaction score
Skin;1300251 said:
For someone to say, as jazzcat22 did, that BP is not placing restrictions on Zimmer is ridiculous. If anyone on here thinks that Purcells isn't running the show on D, you're off your rocker.
And WHY is that you ask ? Because he has a dolt who has never run the defense the team is fielding in his life. Maybe if he were to hire a REAL defensive coordinator that has actual experience running the 3-4, THEN he wouldn't have to run things, now would he?!!?!?

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
dbair1967;1300409 said:
its possible, but Zimmer was a conservative boob that couldnt develop pass rushes before Parcells got here too

David

Zimmer doesn't do the drafting - before or after Parcells got here. The ONLY DE of quality that Zimmer had when Parcells first arrived was Ellis, when he finally was a season or two removed from a season-ending injury. Then Parcells started implementing the 3-4 defense and the entire defense was in flux. All the while, the best addition at DE that Parcells gave Zimmer was DAT-DUDE - remeber that all out Parcerlls bust that was coming off of a dissapointing seaon? Yeah that must be Zimmer's fault too; just like it's Zimmer's fault now that he has Demarcus Ware as a viable pass rusher, but is handcuffed to use him in coverage ala Tuna's 3-4 scheme. Yeah genius, that's Zimmer's fault. :rolleyes:

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1300039 said:
Zimmer only had one real good defense in 2003. So IMO that makes it the exception rather than the norm.

And that was when we were running the 4-3............ I wonder why we switched?:bang2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1299978 said:
OPINION: Our new Head Coach should be Mike Zimmer

I literally just went and bought a rope and was putting the noose over my head.

And that was just from reading the title. I hope you didn't expect anyone to actually read that long post cuz I know there's no way you could make any sense of Zimmer being our head coach. He's only infect the offensive players with his roboticism*.

*roboticism: the ability to take players with good instincts and turn them into robots.

superpunk

Reaction score
Rack;1300756 said:
I literally just went and bought a rope and was putting the noose over my head.

And that was just from reading the title. I hope you didn't expect anyone to actually read that long post cuz I know there's no way you could make any sense of Zimmer being our head coach. He's only infect the offensive players with his roboticism*.

*roboticism: the ability to take players with good instincts and turn them into robots.

I hope that's what it is, Rack - I really do.

But the roboticism doesn't seem to effect Ware. When he does his thing he does it great. May not be used as effectively as possible, but no scheme can hold back playmakers from shining through, I don't think. Bradie James looked to be coming along nicely until this year. Carpenter has been a late season surprise. Glenn and henry still use their great ball-instincts well.

It's a tougher pill to swallow, but it might just be the players. The DEs have been disappointing to say the least. No push at all. The ILBs are the worst blitzers I've ever seen, not effective at all. It's probably not JUST one or the other. Even without Zimmer, we may continue to see the same problems if the personnel isn't upgraded.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
superpunk;1300767 said:

But the roboticism doesn't seem to effect Ware. When he does his thing he does it great. May not be used as effectively as possible, but no scheme can hold back playmakers from shining through, I don't think. Bradie James looked to be coming along nicely until this year. Carpenter has been a late season surprise. Glenn and henry still use their great ball-instincts well.

It's a tougher pill to swallow, but it might just be the players. The DEs have been disappointing to say the least. No push at all. The ILBs are the worst blitzers I've ever seen, not effective at all. It's probably not JUST one or the other. Even without Zimmer, we may continue to see the same problems if the personnel isn't upgraded.

The longer players are coached by Zimmer, the more it effects them.

Even look at our good players... Roy, Newman... they're solid, but are they the instinctive playmakers we expected? No. Especially Roy. Roy's rookie year is still his best year to date. The longer he's been coached by Zimmer, the worse he's got. Newman covers well, but doesn't make plays.

Ware is our only exception, and that may change if we don't GROZ.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;1300691 said:
Zimmer doesn't do the drafting - before or after Parcells got here. The ONLY DE of quality that Zimmer had when Parcells first arrived was Ellis, when he finally was a season or two removed from a season-ending injury. Then Parcells started implementing the 3-4 defense and the entire defense was in flux. All the while, the best addition at DE that Parcells gave Zimmer was DAT-DUDE - remeber that all out Parcerlls bust that was coming off of a dissapointing seaon? Yeah that must be Zimmer's fault too; just like it's Zimmer's fault now that he has Demarcus Ware as a viable pass rusher, but is handcuffed to use him in coverage ala Tuna's 3-4 scheme. Yeah genius, that's Zimmer's fault. :rolleyes:

no defensive coordinator anywhere has any say over drafting players or what players they will sign...they take whats dealt to them and make it work...we used two #1 picks on talented DE's and signed the premier pass rushing DT in footall when he came available, and we still couldnt rush the passer

there is plenty of talent on this defense to be better than this...after 7yrs of ho-hum ro mediocre defense (to downright dreadful this yr) its time for a change...and that change doesnt include making Mr Stupidity the man in charge

quit making excuses for the clod and open your damn eyes

David

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I know it's popular around here to start a GROZ thread, and everyone jumps on board, but, okay nevermind, I'm on board too. ;)

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
superpunk;1300767 said:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77723

does that look like a bunch of untalented players to you?

If so, we have been wasting our time and money bringin in these untalented players. Our tralent evaluation must really sux.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Give me a thousand reasons why Zimmer should be HC and I will still say .....Heck NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and that's being nice. ;)

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
He lost ONE player on his defense and it fell apart.....ONE. To me that is an indictment of a coach who cannot improvise.
Secondly, he seemed incapable of adjusting when teams began to figure out his defense.
Thirdly, his players seemed confused and disorganized.
Those three reasons alone make me think he would make a terrible coach.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
If you saw the NE game yesterday, you would have seen that their version of the 3-4 is not the same as ours. That is Belicheck at his finest, moving around players and changing schemes to confuse the other team. Our defense, and our offense for that matter are so vanilla.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1300889 said:
If you saw the NE game yesterday, you would have seen that their version of the 3-4 is not the same as ours. That is Belicheck at his finest, moving around players and changing schemes to confuse the other team. Our defense, and our offense for that matter are so vanilla.

Oh you get movement and confusion with our D, problemis the confused our wearing stars.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Our O & D are so vanilla they're almost frozen milk.

The O & D are as predictable as you know what's going to happen when a dog lifts his hind leg.

There is about as much creativity on both sides of the ball as there is adding bananas to a banana split.