Optimistic?

alicetooljam

Reaction score
First off, Demarco wasn't "just another guy" he was a very talented RB... but in today's NFL a RB is easily replaced. You can get another Demarco in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round. Heck we have two guys on the roster that can take his production. LOL This ISN'T the 90s anymore.
Wasn't Demarco taken in the 4th round?

Did DeMarco go for 1000+ in his rookie season? Double digit tds? Did he do either his 2nd season? That's what we need.....and more.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think I actually have a feeling of optimism for the first time in a long time.

We kept all the "key" components to our very powerful and dynamic offense. (I don't consider a RB a key to an offense anymore, especially with that line) and we where able to add a dominate pass rusher, retain our best defensive player from last season for cheap. AND we will be getting Sean Lee back.

I really think DeLaw will be a stud going forward... he has all the skill to do it, he just needs some seasoning. Hitch is an up and comer...

and we have all this done BEFORE the draft! Now we come into a draft that isn't extremely deep but we can let come to us and hopefully get some good value picks!

Am I wrong to feel so optimistic?

not to mention Romo is healthy for the first time in 2 seasons...

The Cowboys lost a key to their offense in Murray he was the teams MVP last season and the #1 reason Romo had the most efficient season of his career and the defense averaged 12 fewer plays than they did in 2013. A RB was the key to the Cowboys offense last season. When the team had a dominate pass rusher they couldn't make the playoffs because they didn't have near the running game we saw last season. In 2008 Ware had 20 sacks but the Cowboys missed the playoffs largely due to their running game being ranked 21st. This put more of a burden on Romo which led to a number of huge mistakes that season and a dreadful performance vs Philly in the season finale with a playoff birth on the line. Romo wasn't nearly the QB that season that we saw last season because he was being asked to win games. In 2011 Ware had 19.5 sacks but Romo once again was being asked to carry the offense because he had the 18th ranked rushing attack. The Cowboys had arguably the most dominate pass rusher in the game but couldn't make the playoffs because Romo was having to carry the offense which led to less efficiency, numerous mistakes and the defense having to spend a lot of time on the field.

Last season the Cowboys had the franchises most prolific single season rusher who took a huge load off Romo's shoulders and helped improve a defense that didn't have a great pass rusher or a pass rush. As a team the Cowboys only had 28 sacks which was only 8 more than Ware had by himself in 2008 but they went 12-4 due to controlling the ball on the ground not forcing Romo to put the ball up 40 times a game. Hard for me to feel optimistic after losing the player that directly led to the season the Cowboys had in 2014 and knowing we'll now have face him twice a year vs our biggest rival. The theme here even before Murray left is that any back can run behind the Cowboys OL. Some don't think we'll miss a beat regardless what back starts we'll certainly find out in 2015. As for Lee hard to get excited about him or count on him for next season with his injury history and having to rehab from an ACL. Everyone was getting all worked up about his return last year and he couldn't even make it through his first OTA practice. The guy is snake bit hard to have any confidence he'll make it through a full season. He's missed more games than he's played and after missing an entire season with a serious injury he may not even be the same player anymore.

It would take him at least a year to return to form if he ever does and he'll be 29 in July. He'll be showing up at camp wearing a knee brace with the Cowboys holding their breath with every step his takes. As for Romo being healthy his back will always be a concern. Murray leaving has left me with some mixed feelings about the prospects for next season. There's very little doubt in my mind if the Cowboys running game is significantly below what we saw last season they won't be as good a team. Jerry is banking on the draft to find his next Murray and that his OL can make the average group of backs he currently has productive. He knows if he miscalculates it's all going to fall on Romo again to win games and next season could end up looking like some of our previous seasons where the team hovered around 500 all year. The 2015 season will all come down to whether the Cowboys can continue with the same formula that led to such a surprising and successful 2014 season. If they struggle running the ball especially in short yardage situations which puts the burden back on Romo winning 9 games will be a chore and we may be sitting around the next few years thinking about what could have been.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Crediting Murray as the number one reason for Romo's success and the lighter workload for the defense is ridiculous.

Crediting the running game would be much closer to reasonable.

Murray doesn't get those yards and the defense doesn't get that shelter if the team does not commit to the running game in a recently unprecedented manner.

All pro/pro bowl performances from a young O-line played a very large role.

The respect that had to be given to the passing game played a very large role.

Murray played his role very well. He was able to accomplish things he had been previously unable to in his time in Dallas. Murray was one of the keys on the ring. He certainly wasn't THE key though and I am optimistic the Cowboys will be able to replace those yards assuming they don't lose any of the other keys.

Pretty simple stuff. I'm surprised none of this occurred to you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This team is scary special.

You can't be scary special with the 19th ranked defense that may have to spend more time on the field next season if we don't have a top 5 rushing attack. The offense looked special reminding me of the offenses the Cowboys had in the 90's that controlled the ball but losing Murray may have changed things dramatically we'll have to see. He was the catalyst who energized the team he carried the offense and was the #1 reason for the season the Cowboys had and the efficient season Romo had. I remember back in the day reading where many said any back could do behind the Cowboys OL what Emmitt was doing. Unless the Cowboys hit on a special RB in the draft we'll find out how good the team is without an elite runner to lean on because they don't currently have one. The Cowboys appeared to be building something special with their own set of triplets now we're going to see if the great running game we had last season had more to do with the OL than Murray.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Crediting Murray as the number one reason for Romo's success and the lighter workload for the defense is ridiculous.

Crediting the running game would be much closer to reasonable.

Murray doesn't get those yards and the defense doesn't get that shelter if the team does not commit to the running game in a recently unprecedented manner.

All pro/pro bowl performances from a young O-line played a very large role.

The respect that had to be given to the passing game played a very large role.

Murray played his role very well. He was able to accomplish things he had been previously unable to in his time in Dallas. Murray was one of the keys on the ring. He certainly wasn't THE key though and I am optimistic the Cowboys will be able to replace those yards assuming they don't lose any of the other keys.

Pretty simple stuff. I'm surprised none of this occurred to you.

Murray was the Cowboys running game he carried the ball a franchise record 392 times. The team didn't have a committee they leaned on one back all season and rode him to the playoffs. The Cowboys committed to the run because it was effective we'll find out of it's still effective next season. You can't commit to the run if it isn't there or you'll end up in 3rd and long situations all day. Murray was able to run the ball successfully prior to the OL being built and the three 8-8 seasons were largely a result of the running game flaming out during the games he missed with injuries. Romo had to do far too much those seasons and it led to a far less efficient Romo than we saw last season. Certainly the OL has to be credited for some of Murray's success but when the OL was still in transition 4 years ago he showed flashes of what he became last season with some very productive games.

The OL was average at best in 2011 when Murray set the single game franchise rushing record of 253 yards. None of the Cowboys other backs could run as consistently as he did behind any of the OL's his first 3 seasons which is why he became the starter and the bell cow. When Randle got his opportunity to start in 2013 in place of an injured Murray he averaged 1.9 a carry off 14 carries which directly led to a one point loss vs Detroit in the closing minutes. All the Cowboys needed was one first down to eat up the clock and Randle proceeded to take a 3 yard loss followed by a one yard loss by Phillip Tanner putting the Cowboys in a passing situation they didn't convert. The passing game last season was effective due to the running game allowing Romo to manage games not have to win them.

His passer rating went way up along with his completion percentage due to leaning on Murray. Romo had career lows in attempts and yards due to leaning on Murray. Like I mentioned the defense averaged 12 fewer plays than in 2013 due to controlling the ball on the ground. The running game led by Murray resulted in a more efficient offense and a fresher more alert defense. Mark my words if the running game drops off significantly from what we saw in 2014 and the Cowboys struggle to pick up the 3rd and 1's, 2's and 3's on the ground you can forget about 12 wins next season and the playoffs.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
It's us or GB coming out of the NFC. No-one goes to the show 3 years in a row in the free agency / salary cap era. So forget Seattle.

GB has issues on defense. We will be better on that side. Patriots will be a shadow of themselves. I see the Colts as the issue, maybe the Steelers if they can piece together a defense. Ben, Bell, Brown are no joke. But as of right now, I think we are as good as anybody in this league. Every champion has to have a little luck as ell.

Let's just not get cute at the draft.

Jstopper

Reaction score
You can't be scary special with the 19th ranked defense that may have to spend more time on the field next season if we don't have a top 5 rushing attack. The offense looked special reminding me of the offenses the Cowboys had in the 90's that controlled the ball but losing Murray may have changed things dramatically we'll have to see. He was the catalyst who energized the team he carried the offense and was the #1 reason for the season the Cowboys had and the efficient season Romo had. I remember back in the day reading where many said any back could do behind the Cowboys OL what Emmitt was doing. Unless the Cowboys hit on a special RB in the draft we'll find out how good the team is without an elite runner to lean on because they don't currently have one. The Cowboys appeared to be building something special with their own set of triplets now we're going to see if the great running game we had last season had more to do with the OL than Murray.

Murray was around long before the dominant o-line and he stayed getting hurt, his best year was 1100 yards. He's not irreplaceable and I don't see our running game suffering. Not to mention that 19th ranked defense is gonna be a hell of a lot better

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Murray was around long before the dominant o-line and he stayed getting hurt, his best year was 1100 yards. He's not irreplaceable and I don't see our running game suffering. Not to mention that 19th ranked defense is gonna be a hell of a lot better

Murray was producing long before the OL became a dominate run blocking unit and injuries prevented him from having several productive seasons. He's been replaced with a back who's gotten hurt more than him and 3 other backs who've done very little. Murray may not be irreplaceable but it may take awhile to replace him and our running game will suffer some unless the back we draft in a few weeks turns out to be a real good player who we can lean on. For the 19th ranked defense to be better the offense is going to have to continue keeping it off the field like they did last season. There's a lot to be addressed defensively before it becomes a solid unit and this team becomes scary special. It was looking like the Cowboys were building towards something special but you don't lose your MVP from last season and expect not to miss a beat.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If everyone on this board really believed what they're preaching that the Cowboys won't miss a beat with the backs they have you wouldn't have so many who want to trade the farm for Peterson.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If everyone on this board really believed what they're preaching that the Cowboys won't miss a beat with the backs they have you wouldn't have so many who want to trade the farm for Peterson.

I think the combined running game could be even better. They won't have 1 guy with 1800 yards but they could have 2 with 900 each and a few yards from a 3rd guy.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Since the days of the Single Wing the team that ran the ball best had the best chance of winning it all. EVEN TODAY with the whole rule book scewed to favor the O and passing we had our best season because we ran the ball down people's throats. Seattle got to two straight SBs and won one (and was a stupid play call from winning a second over a team that passed a lot and had the NFL's favorite son- and demolished the year before the team that set just about every passing record there is) with that formula (and a top D of course).

I think our D has the potential to be a top 5 D this year. We need some luck but then SB winning teams always have some luck. We are basically a RB away from having to my mind the top O in the NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I think the combined running game could be even better. They won't have 1 guy with 1800 yards but they could have 2 with 900 each and a few yards from a 3rd guy.

This has been mentioned and it's possible but it's the tough yards on 3rd down and in the 4th quarter I'm concerned about. Murray excelled last season picking up those tough dirty yards on 3rd down in some critical situations that helped win some games the Cowboys were losing in previous seasons. Romo was able to hand the ball to Murray in some situations on 3rd and 2's and 3rd and 3's where in the past he was having to throw the ball. NFLN showed a series of tough runs Murray made last season that moved the chains late in games that other backs don't make. He fought off the initial contact and was able power and stiff arm his way forward and get the necessary yardage to keep the chains moving. There's not a lot that separates a 12-4 season from an 8-8 season. Not being able to pick up a first down in some short yardage situations can mean the difference between winning and losing a game late in the 4th quarter.

There were several games in past seasons that the Cowboys lost late because they couldn't move the chains in some short yardage situations. In 2011 prior to Murray's emergence the Cowboys blew a 24 point lead to Detroit because they had issues running the ball and it led to a second half Romo meltdown. Felix Jones only avenged 3.6 a carry in that game so the Cowboys abandoned the run and turned to the pass. The following week vs NE the Cowboys only needed a couple of first downs late in the 4th quarter to wrap that game up but were unable to move the football on the ground. It led to a punt and Brady driving the Pats down the field for the winning score. I mentioned the Detroit game in 2013 where both Randle and Tanner lost 4 yards on consecutive carries forcing a punt late in that game enabling the Lions to win the game in the final seconds. The Cowboys would have made the playoffs in 2011, 2012 and 2013 had they been able to run the football in a few games that Murray had yet to emerge in or missed due to injury.

A lot can change next season if the Cowboys start having trouble moving the chains on 3rd down forcing Romo into more passing situations. An injury or two on the OL can change a lot of things putting a premium on having an elite runner in the backfield. Although the OL is a solid run blocking unit they've had some issues in pass protection. Despite Romo attempting the fewest passes of his career in which he played at least 15 games he was sacked 29 times and injured on one of those sacks forcing him to miss a game. I'm not predicting doom and gloom next season but the potential for a disappointing season looms if the Cowboys go from #2 in rushing out of the top 5. A lot of things can be affected if there's any issues running the ball consistently next season especially in tough yardage and goal line situations. Murray had almost 2300 all purpose yards with 13 TD's that's a a lot of production that has to be replaced.

He energized the team last season and the Cowboys fed off him. His performance made Romo better, the defense better and the team showed mental toughness and played with the type of confidence we haven't seen in several years. Jerry thought anyone of hundred coaches could lead his team back in the 90's because it had talent. He may believe anyone of a hundred backs can produce behind his talented young OL and it's resulted in him taking one of the biggest gambles he's taken as the Cowboys owner by allowing his teams MVP from last season to walk and sign with Philly. We'll see what back the Cowboys draft because Jerry's not banking his season or future on the 3 average backs he has now. He knows with Romo's age and the concerns with his back that he can't risk putting the offense on his shoulders again. Moving on from Murray could all turn out for the better or it could blow up in the Cowboys face we'll find out next season.