Video: Orlando Scandrick on Undisputed

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I’m not celebrating anything. I can’t stand Garrett. But the OP said Garrett would be a .350 coach without Romo. That’s what I was countering.

Maybe the OP meant Romo would be a .350 QB without JG. Kinda tough to prove either since they both had each other

condoin125

Reaction score
Aven, some fans just don't like Dak. They don't want to hear that he was pressured on 36% of his drop backs, they prefer "noodle arm" and "poor foot work". He may have some of that too but I accept what you heard because I actually think he can be a very good starter down the road
Some fans fall in love with guys so quickly that they attempt to jump on every stat (factual or not) that might help prove that the reason for poor play lies everywhere but with said favorite player. I remember your posts from DC, you had no good argument then or now. Your case for Dak is "22-10, 2nd year starter, HE NEEDS TIME!". So glad I'm not in your shoes and won't have to spend all of 2018 defending his poor play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo led the team to the playoffs in three of his first four seasons without Garrett as HC. He only led the team to the playoffs in two of the five seasons he started with Garrett as HC. Yes, Romo only appeared in four games in 2015 but the point is he wasn’t having the team success with Garrett that he did with Parcells and Wade, especially when you consider Romo was a young QB under those coaches. By the time Garrett took over as the HC Romo was an established veteran QB.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Romo led the team to the playoffs in three of his first four seasons without Garrett as HC. He only led the team to the playoffs in two of the five seasons he started with Garrett as HC. Yes, Romo only appeared in four games in 2015 but the point is he wasn’t having the team success with Garrett that he did with Parcells and Wade, especially when you consider Romo was a young QB under those coaches. By the time Garrett took over as the HC Romo was an established veteran QB.

Yes all true. Also true that JG was the OC under Wade so in reality they've been together for 8 years of his career. Now maybe Jason held him back while Wade and Parcells coached him up IDK but the two were together from 2007-2014. I've heard all the BS that Romo never had good teams around him. Now he never had coaching around him except Parcell's? Give me a break

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Some fans fall in love with guys so quickly that they attempt to jump on every stat (factual or not) that might help prove that the reason for poor play lies everywhere but with said favorite player. I remember your posts from DC, you had no good argument then or now. Your case for Dak is "22-10, 2nd year starter, HE NEEDS TIME!". So glad I'm not in your shoes and won't have to spend all of 2018 defending his poor play.

So glad I'm not in yours being forced to watch him play. That must really suck

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes all true. Also true that JG was the OC under Wade so in reality they've been together for 8 years of his career. Now maybe Jason held him back while Wade and Parcells coached him up IDK but the two were together from 2007-2014. I've heard all the BS that Romo never had good teams around him. Now he never had coaching around him except Parcell's? Give me a break

Garrett wasn’t a competent OC. The team had great success with him the first year as OC because of the talent we had on offense. Romo had the best receiving corp he ever had with TO, Terry Glenn and a young Jason Witten. Those who try to spin Romo never had a good team around him are full of it. Someone tried telling me that he never had a team like Dak had in 2016, when Romo had the same type of team in 2014.

He had the best OL in the league and the top rusher. The 2014 team was actually better. Murray set a franchise record in rushing and both he and Romo received MVP votes. We won a playoff game and almost beat Green Bay at Lambeau during an MVP season for Rodgers. The 2016 team wasn’t playing nearly as well entering the playoffs as the 2014 team was.

Hadenough

Reaction score
lol, I'm not taking it personally but I'm exactly that type of owner, manager, coach.... a delegator. I do my share of physical too but mostly I delegate that to the lads who work for us. My job is pure delegation and watching the market swings. I have to be good with delegating
Nothing wrong with delegating once you know your guys are trained under you. But Garrett has some misses the part about get these guys on the same page as him. Delegating is fine when everything goes well but when it's not you can't just keep doing g what your doing. Sometimes you got to roll up your sleeves and show the young lads what you want.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with delegating once you know your guys are trained under you. But Garrett has some misses the part about get these guys on the same page as him. Delegating is fine when everything goes well but when it's not you can't just keep doing g what your doing. Sometimes you got to roll up your sleeves and show the young lads what you want.

Yeah that's true. Gotta be a good hirer, hire the right ones who can do their job consistently and are teachable, not show up to work looking for the manual on how to do things and not require constant hand holding. Mostly you have to have confidence in yourself to hire the right people and sometimes that involves listening to others about the lads you hire. We don't do employment contracts but the lads know when they do a good job. It's called a slap on the back and a handshake on pay day and few perks along the way. Bottom line, we make money they make money.

Honestly my delegating skills sucked until I started putting better people around me. Until I did that I called myself a great multi-tasker, doing my best impersonation of a headless chicken. Trust me, no one multi-tasks at 100% efficiency at multiple tasks at the same time.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Nobody respects him because he isnt a leader or any good at coaching on gameday. When the game starts and the Cowboys are playing a decent team I always ask myself how is Garrett going to lose this one. And the same answer is always the same. The other team will adjust at half time to what Dallas is doing and Dallas wont make any halftime or in game adjustments. And then in garretts press conference he will always say he has to go back and look at the tape. Somehow they need to have a large monitor in the press conference area and bring up the plays in question and ask Garrett for example why didnt you help Green or Bell in the Atlanta game with a TE or RB. Your right about players going to Jerry and that does affect things but when the whistle blows Garrett is 100% responsible for everyone on the field. He can change anything he wants at any given moment.

Good points............like you said, anytime we play against a team that is half way decent, we lose.

The Chiefs were the only team this year we beat that ended the season with a record above 500 (and no, that win against Philly's practice squad doesn't count). So Garrett beat just one single team this year that wasn't a scrub or sitting half their roster. Impressive;)

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Bingo! That was the most revealing thing. Tony ran the show. Garrett is a coach in name only. I'm gaining more and more respect for Tony outside of football than I had for him while he was playing - I must admit.
Ehhh it’s weird because on one hand I agree but on the other hand I lose respect because he should’ve demanded a better coach but instead he befriended Garrett sooooooooooo.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Facts. BUM!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Yeah that's true. Gotta be a good hirer, hire the right ones who can do their job consistently and are teachable, not show up to work looking for the manual on how to do things and not require constant hand holding. Mostly you have to have confidence in yourself to hire the right people and sometimes that involves listening to others about the lads you hire. We don't do employment contracts but the lads know when they do a good job. It's called a slap on the back and a handshake on pay day and few perks along the way. Bottom line, we make money they make money.
Ehhh it’s weird because on one hand I agree but on the other hand I lose respect because he should’ve demanded a better coach but instead he befriended Garrett sooooooooooo.

lol, Tone knew where his bread was buttered. On both sides! On one side by the Jones', on the other by JG I guess. Now it's buttered on one side by CBS and the other by Jim Nantz, right Tone

Hadenough

Reaction score
Good points............like you said, anytime we play against a team that is half way decent, we lose.

The Chiefs were the only team this year we beat that ended the season with a record above 500 (and no, that win against Philly's practice squad doesn't count). So Garrett beat just one single team this year that wasn't a scrub or sitting half their roster. Impressive;)
Its always like that! And it is always over looked because injuries or some other excuse like not having a losing season which means going 9-7 or 8-8
I watched that Philly Atlanta game hoping the Eagles would lose but even with Foles at QB they are better than Dallas. I didnt see the Eagles/ Dallas game but im sure the Eagles had vanilla play calling too. Dallas only scoring 6 is terrible!

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Its always like that! And it is always over looked because injuries or some other excuse like not having a losing season which means going 9-7 or 8-8
I watched that Philly Atlanta game hoping the Eagles would lose but even with Foles at QB they are better than Dallas. I didnt see the Eagles/ Dallas game but im sure the Eagles had vanilla play calling too. Dallas only scoring 6 is terrible!

You watched that game hoping the same thing as I was, an Eagles loss. Atlanta just couldn't take advantage of 4 turn overs and that's nuts. Call it great Eagles defense or inept Atlanta offense, whatever it was, I call it luck. Fear not, the Eagles will get plucked eventually lol

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
lol, Tone knew where his bread was buttered. On both sides! On one side by the Jones', on the other by JG I guess. Now it's buttered on one side by CBS and the other by Jim Nantz, right Tone
I agree that’s why I don’t feel bad. He didn’t REALLY want to win. Magic Johnson got coaches fired, Kobe, Elway. Some people want it by any means and Tony didn’t.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Garrett wasn’t a competent OC. The team had great success with him the first year as OC because of the talent we had on offense. Romo had the best receiving corp he ever had with TO, Terry Glenn and a young Jason Witten. Those who try to spin Romo never had a good team around him are full of it. Someone tried telling me that he never had a team like Dak had in 2016, when Romo had the same type of team in 2014.

He had the best OL in the league and the top rusher. The 2014 team was actually better. Murray set a franchise record in rushing and both he and Romo received MVP votes. We won a playoff game and almost beat Green Bay at Lambeau during an MVP season for Rodgers. The 2016 team wasn’t playing nearly as well entering the playoffs as the 2014 team was.

The facts don't support your statement. In Garrett's 6 years as OC, from 2008 - 2013, he had 6 top 13 ranked offenses, and 4 top 10 ranked offenses. By any reasonable standard, he was a successful OC.

2007 - 3rd
2008 - 13th
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 7th
2011 - 11th
2012 - 6th

Average ranking in those 6 years - 7th

Since 2013, when Garrett stopped calling the plays:

2013 - 16th (Callahan)
2014 - 7th (Linehan)
2015 - 22nd (Linehan)
2016 - 5th (Linehan)
2017 - 14th (LInehan)

Average ranking since Garrett gave up OC job - 13th. And 3 of those seasons ranked worse than ANY season Garrett was calling the plays.

Conclusion: Garrett was (and still could be) a top 10 OC.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The facts don't support your statement. In Garrett's 6 years as OC, from 2008 - 2013, he had 6 top 13 ranked offenses, and 4 top 10 ranked offenses. By any reasonable standard, he was a successful OC.

2007 - 3rd
2008 - 13th
2009 - 2nd
2010 - 7th
2011 - 11th
2012 - 6th

Average ranking in those 6 years - 7th

Since 2013, when Garrett stopped calling the plays:

2013 - 16th (Callahan)
2014 - 7th (Linehan)
2015 - 22nd (Linehan)
2016 - 5th (Linehan)
2017 - 14th (LInehan)

Average ranking since Garrett gave up OC job - 13th. And 3 of those seasons ranked worse than ANY season Garrett was calling the plays.

Conclusion: Garrett was (and still could be) a top 10 OC.
The "every other" trend is what fans should look at. It's gotten us nowhere.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Don't ask me how this turned into a Romo thread.

He is gone. Get over it.