Osa Odighizuwa Is An Underrated Pass Rusher

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Now let me say this ...... I like Osa and want to keep him ..... I do not think a DT job is to get sacks

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe in DQs defense Osa wasn't in for his Nascar rush, so he didn't get as many opportunities?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They could be in a bad spot at DT. They have absolutely nothing in the pipeline behind Odighizuwa and Smith. And we still have no clue what Smith even is. Honestly tagging Odighizuwa if they dont reach a deal wouldn't shock. And thats a pretty big tag. 22 million last year
I agree that DT is going to be a need, regardless of if they extend Osa or not.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree that DT is going to be a need, regardless of if they extend Osa or not.
Even if they extend him and Smith plays well, you are still looking at signing a very and drafting someone in the top 150 to have a decent DT room. And those first two are major if's

Maybe it will be different under Zimmer, but we dont seem to play an individual DT more than half the snaps

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Even if they extend him and Smith plays well, you are still looking at signing a very and drafting someone in the top 150 to have a decent DT room. And those first two are major if's

Maybe it will be different under Zimmer, but we dont seem to play an individual DT more than half the snaps
Agreed. You need 3 DTs (though pretty much no team has that).

Osa played about 60% of snaps last year and that's including blowouts like NYG and CAR where he saw a significant reduction.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'd say he speaks for the majority of this website with his view, which is why I said unless Mazi gets around 8 or so sacks (regardless of how he plays on a down by down basis) he'll suck on here. Nuance is used on a player by player basis on CZ.
Well yea I don't bother to post things like PRWR because it's just met with "but sacks durrrrr"

Same thing with DLaw

speedkilz88

Reaction score
While pressures are certainly important, they are not as important as sacks. When a QB is sacked, he cannot complete a pass or score points for his team. When a QB is pressured, he can do both of the previous. One outcome ends a play. The other one introduces other possible outcomes.

Odighizuwa went 15 weeks without a sack last year. To act as if he's an underrated pass rusher when his finish stats are not there is embellishing his abilities in that area. He has the tools, but needs to get the QB on the ground more than in two games of a season.
QBs that are pressured are less effective.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd say he speaks for the majority of this website with his view
Doubt it because I do not grade DT's on their ability to get sacks ....... I am old school and feel DT's should clog the middle and stop the run.

DT's started going after sacks because that's where the money is.

I want big uglies who stand their ground and tackle RB's