Osa Odighizuwa Is An Underrated Pass Rusher

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Is that not also true of a pressure? If anything, a sack decreases the chance of converting a 1st Down in the series since there's loss of yardage. Not sure where the 4-yard example came from but your typical sack is 8-12 yards from what I can recall. That can indeed be significant for field position or for trying to kick a late FG in a half or something, etc. Whether one is better or not is a big ol' argument of opinions unless someone has numbers but sacks are more devastating to an opposing offense than a pressure on any given down. They just come farther and fewer in between so you can't make your living on that if you're a defense, so the two work together.
Sure. But the argument isn't really 1 sack vs. 1 pressure, though.

It's the collective impact of a high volume of pressures vs. a lower volume of sacks. Nobody is arguing that, on a singular play, a pressure is better than a sack (though, if it forces a turnover, why wouldn't it be?). The point is that 5 sacks doesn't necessarily give you more value than, say, 20 pressures.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Sure. But the argument isn't really 1 sack vs. 1 pressure, though.

It's the collective impact of a high volume of pressures vs. a lower volume of sacks. Nobody is arguing that, on a singular play, a pressure is better than a sack (though, if it forces a turnover, why wouldn't it be?). The point is that 5 sacks doesn't necessarily give you more value than, say, 20 pressures.
True. You can have a 18-sack guy with 30 pressures and chances are (in a very, very primitive way - dividing by 3 downs), he contributed to ending 16 drives (not counting any 4th Down pass attempts) whereas you can have a 9-sack guy with 48 pressures and chances are he ended 19 drives. This also assumes that a pressure resulted in nothing for the offense which of course doesn't always happen so then you'd have to make up a "Useless Pressure Count/Rate" where something positive did still happen, lol. Let's just say they work together and leave it at that. True you can't call one absolutely superior to the other.

Chasing6

Reaction score
True. You can have a 18-sack guy with 30 pressures and chances are (in a very, very primitive way - dividing by 3 downs), he contributed to ending 16 drives (not counting any 4th Down pass attempts) whereas you can have a 9-sack guy with 48 pressures and chances are he ended 19 drives. This also assumes that a pressure resulted in nothing for the offense which of course doesn't always happen so then you'd have to make up a "Useless Pressure Count/Rate" where something positive did still happen, lol. Let's just say they work together and leave it at that. True you can't call one absolutely superior to the other.
I would have to believe everyone's pressure is increased when Micah is on the field.

I would be curious what it looks like when he is taking a breather.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Well you can't evaluate based on result. A sack can be useless, a pressure can be useless. But we can quantify this.

We know that interception EPA is ~-4.5, and sacks is ~-1.8, for an offense. For say, a DT playing an entire year, I'd rather have 34 chances at the INT than 5 sacks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You're probably right, but in general a player is going to have a lot more pressures than sacks to even that out.
Yeah, that is the next level of analysis, and probably the one that's relevant for the current argument - how much *aggregate* WPA for sacks versus pressures.

blueblood70

Reaction score

what happened to we didn't draft defensive good tackles?

I I believe he is a defensive tackle,

I believe we hit on a good one and he's gotten better every year he's going to be up for a contract soon but he is a defensive tackle right he's an inside defensive tackle I just want to make sure because people around here say that the owls Cowboys don't know how to draft defensive tackles I know most of I mean nose tackle but they don't know the difference between a three tech and a nose tackle but I just wanted to point it out that OSA is pretty damn good..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Honestly, I basically expect him to go elsewhere next off season. I just don’t see the cowboys beating other teams offers.

But we shall see.
he has excellent stats.

pro football ref gives him excellent AV ratings.

he‘s borderline Pro Bowl.

that’s gonna be a 3-4 years, $30-40 mill total contract.

he agent probably wants to wait until FA starts too. Take the biggest offer.

HungryLion

Reaction score
he has excellent stats.

pro football ref gives him excellent AV ratings.

he‘s borderline Pro Bowl.

that’s gonna be a 3-4 years, $30-40 mill total contract.

he agent probably wants to wait until FA starts too. Take the biggest offer.

Yeah I agree. OSA is going to get a big deal from
Someone.