OT available--I forgive him... sign him now

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
And if you ask his former girlfriend, the guy he supplexed onto the table and assorted others who asked "how's your job going" he's none too happy about that fact.:laugh2:

It's funny, I remember his name as a guy I thought might be a good player before that draft a few years ago- he has the size and athletism. Guess I was wrong. If you didn't know the guys were getting tested you'd say his behavior sounds like roid rage.

I remember when they drafted him in the third round, it was rather odd. And even when Womack got hurt and so forth, his name rarely came up. You always figure when that happens the player simply doesn't have what it takes. We have players here now that have earned the opportunity. There is no need to add a problem child. He can end up in Miami with the rest of them. Maybe he and Marcus Vick can start an anger management support group.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Tass said:
Wayne was drafted to play OT by the 'Hawks but he was a Defensive lineman his whole college career. That may have had something to do with his lack of playing time...takes a while to learn a new position esp. at the NFL level.

No, he started at LT in his last year in college.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I remember when they drafted him in the third round, it was rather odd. And even when Womack got hurt and so forth, his name rarely came up. You always figure when that happens the player simply doesn't have what it takes. We have players here now that have earned the opportunity. There is no need to add a problem child. He can end up in Miami with the rest of them. Maybe he and Marcus Vick can start an anger management support group.

No way he comes here. BP already has his hands full with the media waiting for TO to not say "God Bless you" when a teammate sneezes to add a guy like Hunter that needs anger management. Someone will probably take him though.

silver

Reaction score
pancakeman said:
Hey, is that Terry Glenn back there?
doesn't look like glenn at all. the guy in the picture is not even urinating.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Sure, lets sign him up. Its not like the star means anything anymore. Any ole criminal element that wants to play football should be given a chance. I am sure its not his fault hes a bad guy and with a pocket full of money he would fly straight and become a decent member of society. Right?

What is that supposed to mean when has the the star stood for a team full of saintly players, let me tell you NEVER. I'm sorry to break this to you but the Dallas Cowboys have allways had some questionable element on the team going all the way back to Landry (North Dallas Forty, Hollywood Henderson,) I think you might need to stop following pro sports altogether because no team will live up to the standards you have for players. Ashwynn you are one bitter christian you need to pray.

Alexander

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
What is that supposed to mean when has the the star stood for a team full of saintly players, let me tell you NEVER. I'm sorry to break this to you but the Dallas Cowboys have allways had some questionable element on the team going all the way back to Landry (North Dallas Forty, Hollywood Henderson,) I think you might need to stop following pro sports altogether because no team will live up to the standards you have for players. Ashwynn you are one bitter christian you need to pray.

The only place where "the star meant something" is in the romantic imaginations of fans who never had to stock a team with talent.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:

Thing is those questionable elements on the team did not stay around long. When Henderson started being a problem Landry cut him loose and same with guys like Duane Thomas and Landry did not care what talent you had, if you were doing things that he felt was a detriment to the team you were gone.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Alexander said:
The only place where "the star meant something" is in the romantic imaginations of fans who never had to stock a team with talent.
This revisionist (sp) history is hilarious people put Landry on such a pedastal (which is deserved) but fail to realize he had a number of questionable players on those teams. The bottom line is TALENT BEATS OUT CHARACTER EVERYTIME.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Thing is those questionable elements on the team did not stay around long. When Henderson started being a problem Landry cut him loose and same with guys like Duane Thomas and Landry did not care what talent you had, if you were doing things that he felt was a detriment to the team you were gone.

And that's exactly what Coach Parcells would do if Owens became a detriment.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
This revisionist (sp) history is hilarious people put Landry on such a pedastal (which is deserved) but fail to realize he had a number of questionable players on those teams. The bottom line is TALENT BEATS OUT CHARACTER EVERYTIME.

Talent matter but so does character and Landry did cut productive players who became problems be it on the field or off the field.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

Sorry but no, those two players were questionable for a number of years before they were let go Landry looked the other way until he found a replacement for them or they were no longer useful.

Alexander

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:

If the character has no talent, they aren't worth it.

As Nick Saban said recently to defend the Vick signing, there are very few players without some sort of black mark against them somehow. You just have to decide where the talent supercedes the character issue. And also, how severe the character issue is and what type it is. Is the player an alcoholic or drug addict, wife beater, thug or spoiled child?

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Talent matter but so does character and Landry did cut productive players who became problems be it on the field or off the field.

Nice broad brush you are using. Did he cut Too Tall? Harvey Martin? Both were womanizers right along with Henderson. How about molesters like Clinkscales and Septien.

Face it, you haven't a clue what Landry or felt about any of these players save for Henderson and Duane Thomas. And even that case was Henderson being out of control with cocaine consuming him. That case doesn't even come close to the Owens situation. Duane Thomas is a parallel, but we had Calvin Hill as well so letting him go wasn't as difficult.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
We only heared about the problems they were cut for, your very naive if you think this was the one and only incident and they were cut right away.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And that's exactly what Coach Parcells would do if Owens became a detriment.

I would hope so and I hope that does not end up being the case. What I was addressing is Jiggyfly comments that character did not matter when the truth of it is it did matter and there were many example of players that Landry released because of problems on and off the field.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Alexander [B said:
they aren't worth it.
[/B]
As Nick Saban said recently to defend the Vick signing, there are very few players without some sort of black mark against them somehow. You just have to decide where the talent supercedes the character issue. And also, how severe the character issue is and what type it is. Is the player an alcoholic or drug addict, wife beater, thug or spoiled child?

:hammer: We better stop its like telling a kid there is no Santa Clause.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
We only heared about the problems they were cut for, your very naive if you think this was the one and only incident and they were cut right away.

Not navie at all I was watching the Cowboys in the early days as well. Landry did give players chances as he did with Thomas but after the 71 season Landry was not going to deal with Thomas any longer and released him despite the fact Thomas was the best RB on that team so regardless of what you think under Landry character did matter and it was shown with the like of Thomas and Henderson no matter how good they were.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I would hope so and I hope that does not end up being the case. What I was addressing is Jiggyfly comments that character did not matter when the truth of it is it did matter and there were many example of players that Landry released because of problems on and off the field.

Name them.

You don't know much beyond the high profile: Henderson, Thomas, Clint Longley.

That again is a case where you and others are speaking about a situation which simply didn't exist. For every case where Coach Landry got rid of someone, there is another player (and even less talented) who hung around, despite issues. Each case is unique and even he viewed it that way. If he had some idiotic "image" to uphold, then he would have cut many more players and not just the ones you have heard about.

The "star meaning something" is a construct with very little to do with reality, just like the "America's Team" image.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Not navie at all I was watching the Cowboys in the early days as well. Landry did give players chances as he did with Thomas but after the 71 season Landry was not going to deal with Thomas any longer and released him despite the fact Thomas was the best RB on that team so regardless of what you think under Landry character did matter and it was shown with the like of Thomas and Henderson no matter how good they were.

He had Calvin Hill. That made the decision easier. Anything else?

And as a point, character does matter. Every coach would love to have a team full of Captain Americas. But they wouldn't win much if they cut the ones who weren't.

That was a different age. The team was not under the media microscope that every team is under right now. These days if a player gets a DUI, it is front page news immediately now. Back then, problems were kept behind closed doors.

Chances are that if the Landry Cowboys were around right now with the same media scrutiny, you would be shocked at how few fit the squeaky clean imaginary image that some many love to think we had.