OT available--I forgive him... sign him now

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And I believe the general point is that you cannot divide something that wasn't already headed that way.

Owens did do a very bad thing is Philly. He was the salt on a wound that was already there. But he didn't cause the wound, nor did he contribute to the rudderless ship that was in San Francisco. Eagles management started that with their constant pandering to McNabb while other players had to beg and plead for new contracts and pay that fit their production.

Make no mistake, what he did in both places was wrong. But if he does that here and it succeeds, then we should be more worried about the state of our lockerroom before he got here. That would just mean there were issues and dirty laundry that he could air.

I feel the rifts that took place had a lot to do with TO and comments he would make to the press. Eagles were a team who was winning and getting to the NFC Championship game before TO got there and were also able to make it through the playoffs to the SB without TO in the lineup.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I feel the rifts that took place had a lot to do with TO and comments he would make to the press.

If we get to the Super Bowl and Bledsoe chokes like McNabb did, what would fan reaction be if Owens spoke out about it? Judging by the reaction after the Seattle choke, I don't know if he is universally loved.

Owens made the mistake of attacking a franchise figure head and NFL & media darling.

Eagles were a team who was winning and getting to the NFC Championship game before TO got there and were also able to make it through the playoffs to the SB without TO in the lineup.

Against who again? Atlanta and Minnesota? That's two games. They would have lost for the fourth straight year against teams even close to the Rams, Panthers or Buccaneers of previous years. Owens was the player that put them over the top offensively. Go back and watch the 2004 season again, they were unstoppable.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I have not said a thing about TO through out this tread and have not compared todays team or todays NFL with that of Landry's teams. All I have stated is that Landry did not put up with problem players for long and that is true statement. It seems your trying to turn this into a TO topic and I have not done that on this thread. I will say I think Landry just like many other coachs in the NFL would have passes on getting TO, hate to say it but there was no long line of teams drooling over TO and Tom never went out of his way to go out and trade for or pick up players with known problems. Dallas is taking a chance and for the sake of this team I hope this works out. I hope that the TO can control himself and be here for the lenght of the contract which if not mistaken is a 3 year deal (with year to year bonus money)

This might have spun a little out of control, but the point I was trying to make is that when people make statements like the cowboys have some tradition of only having boy scouts for players is just false.

And we do not want to get into the Jimmy Johnson years do we ? You never heared anyone crying about the sanctity of the star then.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
If we get to the Super Bowl and Bledsoe chokes like McNabb did, what would fan reaction be if Owens spoke out about it? Judging by the reaction after the Seattle choke, I don't know if he is universally loved.

Owens made the mistake of attacking a franchise figure head and NFL & media darling.

Against who again? Atlanta and Minnesota? That's two games. They would have lost for the fourth straight year against teams even close to the Rams, Panthers or Buccaneers of previous years. Owens was the player that put them over the top offensively. Go back and watch the 2004 season again, they were unstoppable.

Most players on teams understand what goes on inside a locker room stays in the locker room you don't feed the media. I have no doubt at all that on a team of 53 players not all of the guys are going to get along but you don't see them in front of the mics ripping on teammates.

On your last statment aginst 2 other teams that made it to post season because they won enough games to make the post season. I agree TO helped make Philly a better team as I have said before I think the man has great talent but the fact remains Philly was still the top team in the NFC before TO got there.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
This might have spun a little out of control, but the point I was trying to make is that when people make statements like the cowboys have some tradition of only having boy scouts for players is just false.

And we do not want to get into the Jimmy Johnson years do we ? You never heared anyone crying about the sanctity of the star then.

I have never once stated that the Cowboys were a bunch of saints or boy scouts not once. As for Jimmy I agree he was different than Landry but even Jimmy Johnson has stated that he can see TO in Dallas for a year but after that it is real iffy those are some pretty strong words from a HC whose college team was knows as Gangster U. I would also add that the way the 90's Cowboys ended with drug arrest, rape allegation, drug overdose that that ended up killing Mark Tuinie was also the saddest and most embarrassing time for me as a Cowboy fan, to see hear the jokes about this franchise that they had never dealt with at that level in the history of this team.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Most players on teams understand what goes on inside a locker room stays in the locker room you don't feed the media. I have no doubt at all that on a team of 53 players not all of the guys are going to get along but you don't see them in front of the mics ripping on teammates.

And again, nobody is justifying what he did. Even Irvin, his biggest champion, stated he shouldn't have spoke out against the QB. But if he was allowed to get away with it, that's like blaming an unruly child even though the parent allows them to get away with it. Of course we got ourselves a brat, we all knew this. But a brat can be controlled if you have the right approach.

On your last statment aginst 2 other teams that made it to post season because they won enough games to make the post season. I agree TO helped make Philly a better team as I have said before I think the man has great talent but the fact remains Philly was still the top team in the NFC before TO got there.

So what is the point here. Do you think he doesn't make us instantly better on offense just as he woke up their pathetic offense that did just enough to get by? Philadelphia made those conference championships because of their defense and they lost it because of their offense (specifically their QB) was not capable of coming up big in the big games.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I have never once stated that the Cowboys were a bunch of saints or boy scouts not once. As for Jimmy I agree he was different than Landry but even Jimmy Johnson has stated that he can see TO in Dallas for a year but after that it is real iffy those are some pretty strong words from a HC whose college team was knows as Gangster U. I would also add that the way the 90's Cowboys ended with drug arrest, rape allegation, drug overdose that that ended up killing Mark Tuinie was also the saddest and most embarrassing time for me as a Cowboy fan, to see hear the jokes about this franchise that they had never dealt with at that level in the history of this team.

Dooms I was not refering to you it was "Saint Ashwynn" that started all of this and you kind of got caught in the undertow.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And again, nobody is justifying what he did. Even Irvin, his biggest champion, stated he shouldn't have spoke out against the QB. But if he was allowed to get away with it, that's like blaming an unruly child even though the parent allows them to get away with it. Of course we got ourselves a brat, we all knew this. But a brat can be controlled if you have the right approach.

So what is the point here. Do you think he doesn't make us instantly better on offense just as he woke up their pathetic offense that did just enough to get by? Philadelphia made those conference championships because of their defense and they lost it because of their offense (specifically their QB) was not capable of coming up big in the big games.

But TO did not play in the playoffs ;)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If it's acceptable to talk about the original post ;) , I don't think taking a chance on Hunter is such a terrible idea for a tackle-challenged team like ours.

I'm sure it won't happen, but a low-risk contract -- which is all he'll get from anyone -- wouldn't be a bad move IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:

When your paying out million to a man his age you should not have to deal with a so called brat your talking about him as if he was a 5 year old, he is a grown man and if he can't control himself no one else is going to control him not even Parcells. In the end it is up to TO to change he is the only one who can make that happen.

As for what he brings to this offense no doubt it is big play ability and yes he brought that to Philly but again Philly offense was not poor before he got there he did however make them better.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
My feeling is this. There is no one on the offense that Owens could talk about that would have fans in an uproar. We really don't have any icon type players on offense that we have developed a great loyalty for. However, if he did say something about a few of our Defensive players, I could see our message boards having a breakdown. Our darlings are on defense, no one is really impressed with our offense.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
per PFT

SEAHAWKS STAND ON PRINCIPLE

Several league insiders with whom we have spoken are applauding the Seattle Seahawks for moving swiftly to cut the cord on offensive lineman Wayne Hunter, only days after he was arrested for assault and malicious mischief. The team could have avoided a potential grievance from Hunter and the NFLPA by carrying him on the roster into training camp and then adding his name to the list of final cuts. This strategy would have made it difficult if not impossible to tie Hunter's termination to his recent arrest.

As we explained on Tuesday night, teams have limited authority under the CBA to impose disciplines on players. Only the Commissioner can mete out punishment to players who plead guilty to or who are convicted of criminal charges.

But teams like the Seahawks, who we hear quietly have instituted a zero tolerance policy for players with behavioral problems, apparently are willing to face the financial consequences of sending a strong message to the locker room.

At a time when teams are required to spend more money than ever on player salary, who cares if the team ends up forking over $721,600 to a guy that they don't want infecting the rest of the roster?

Hunter is regarded in league circles as a Class A-1 turd, and we're amazed in hindsight that the 'Hawks opted to extend to him the restricted free agent tender offer. Still, we're hearing that the team had essentially put him on final notice that any further issues would result in his release; perhaps, then, the team gave him a one-year offer under the express understanding that one false move would result in a pink slip.

The only remaining question is whether Hunter will challenge the decision via the filing of a non-injury grievance. It looks like an open-and-shut case, but to the extent that he wants to play for another NFL team, now might be a good time for him to show the rest of the football world that he's ready to accept responsibility for his conduct.
I'll believe it when they cut Ken Hamlin, their starting FS who was involved in a bar fight and got his head smashed in. Otherwise, it's just the same-old hypocrisy all around the league. Cut the marginal player BUT keep the good one even if he's a bad seed.....

the_h0wey

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
If you are a warm body with OT by your name.....and experience in the NFL, then I believe we should let them attend mini-camp and if they are talented then we need to get them signed and ready for training camp.

This guy played in the Super Bowl last year.....or at least saw the game live!

okay wait you said experienced? You honestly consider this guy to be an experienced O-lineman?

ravidubey

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
He's pretty talented, but NEVER should have left school early. Needed more time to get better. Being an athlete got him drafted in the 3rd round.
He sounds bipolar.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
He sounds bipolar.

Bipolar is a serious illness brough on by a chemical imbalance.

Hunter is just an a-hole and a punk.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Manster68 said:
I'll pass.

Dallas is going to be pleasantly surprised with Colombo and Petitti IMO.

I think you are absolutely right on. Petitti did pretty darn good considering all things last year,and if he studied hard and worked in the weight room he will eliminate a lot of the sacks attributed to him last year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
FLcowboy said:
I think you are absolutely right on. Petitti did pretty darn good considering all things last year,and if he studied hard and worked in the weight room he will eliminate a lot of the sacks attributed to him last year.

I've said this a lot -- Petitti got eaten up by guys who should be able to take advantage of rookies. Strahan (twice), Peppers, and Little to be specific.

That's about what you expect from a rookie RT working with a QB who likes to hold the ball and isn't afraid to take a hit.

Me, I like his toughness and think he can develop into a solid starter.