OT available--I forgive him... sign him now

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Name them.

You don't know much beyond the high profile: Henderson, Thomas, Clint Longley.

That again is a case where you and others are speaking about a situation which simply didn't exist. For every case where Coach Landry got rid of someone, there is another player (and even less talented) who hung around, despite issues. Each case is unique and even he viewed it that way. If he had some idiotic "image" to uphold, then he would have cut many more players and not just the ones you have heard about.

The "star meaning something" is a construct with very little to do with reality, just like the "America's Team" image.

BS, you spout off a lot but have no clue as to what your talking about half the time. Landry did not tolerate problem players and did ship them off. Other than player I mentioned there were other like Pete Gent and Herrera. Overall Dallas was not having problems with players because they understood they would not be around long if they did.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Not navie at all I was watching the Cowboys in the early days as well. Landry did give players chances as he did with Thomas but after the 71 season Landry was not going to deal with Thomas any longer and released him despite the fact Thomas was the best RB on that team so regardless of what you think under Landry character did matter and it was shown with the like of Thomas and Henderson no matter how good they were.
I have watched them since the mid 70's myself and have read about the earlier year's Thomas had problems from day one and I'm sure Hollywood Henderson did not suddenly become a coke head and was cut. We all know the media did not report on a team like they do now but pete Gent gave us a peek inside with the book North Dallas Forty and that was not a team of saintly players.

If Tom was such a high character person would he have sactioned shooting up players to get them on the feild when they were injured?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
BS, you spout off a lot but have no clue as to what your talking about half the time.

And you do? :laugh2:

Landry did not tolerate problem players and did ship them off. Other than player I mentioned there were other like Pete Gent and Herrera. Overall Dallas was not having problems with players because they understood they would not be around long if they did.

Gent had elite talent? Herrera was awful. The talent made those decisions easier.

Once again, you cling to your little dreamy romance notions of the entire roster being full of Boy Scouts. Off you go.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
BS, you spout off a lot but have no clue as to what your talking about half the time. Landry did not tolerate problem players and did ship them off. Other than player I mentioned there were other like Pete Gent and Herrera. Overall Dallas was not having problems with players because they understood they would not be around long if they did.

And you know this how? because of the image that was so carefully crafted for you of AMERICA'S TEAM I think MR Gent would beg to differ.

Alexander

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
I have watched them since the mid 70's myself and have read about the earlier year's Thomas had problems from day one and I'm sure Hollywood Henderson did not suddenly become a coke head and was cut. We all know the media did not report on a team like they do now but pete Gent gave us a peek inside with the book North Dallas Forty and that was not a team of saintly players.

If Tom was such a high character person would he have sactioned shooting up players to get them on the feild when they were injured?

"North Dallas Forty" was all lies.

Coach Landry and Tex Schramm both walked around with halos over their heads and any time they saw devil horns on anyone, they were cut--immediately, no matter how talented they were.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:

Pete Gent made a movie that many of the players said was not true. Gent did not like Landry and the way Landry did things so if your getting your history lesson from North Dallas 40 then you really are lost.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Pete Gent made a movie that many of the players said was not true. Gent did not like Landry and the way Landry did things so if your getting your history lesson from North Dallas 40 then you really are lost.

So where are you getting your history lesson?

Were you in the Dallas locker room like Gent was?

Certainly there was an element of fiction, but as Jiggyfly pointed out, you are naive if you thing the entire account was lies.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And you do? :laugh2:

Gent had elite talent? Herrera was awful. The talent made those decisions easier.

Once again, you cling to your little dreamy romance notions of the entire roster being full of Boy Scouts. Off you go.

How dare you speak against Saint Tom :laugh2:

P.S. I loved Tom Landry but I know he looked the other way Hollywood Henderson said as much.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
So where are you getting your history lesson?

Were you in the Dallas locker room like Gent was?

Certainly there was an element of fiction, but as Jiggyfly pointed out, you are naive if you thing the entire account was lies.

From other players in the locker room like Lee Roy Jordan who called Gents movie BS and other player on the team with the same reaction. Because a disgrutled player make a movie his word holds more weight than others who were on the same team?

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
From other players in the locker room like Lee Roy Jordan who called Gents movie BS and other player on the team with the same reaction. Because a disgrutled player make a movie his word holds more weight than others who were on the same team?

Hold on, Lee Roy Jordan could speak for all of the Cowboys on those teams? If you have been a part of any team, you know there are cliques and factions within. Jordan called the ideas BS partially because he had little to do with those like Gent.

It is no secret Coach Landry had his chosen ones that fit the image he wanted and played favorites. He did it with Jordan and he did it with Bob Breunig, Staubach and others. Just because Jordan called the account garbage, doesn't mean there wasn't a double standard and a portion of truth to the book (the movie was even more exagerrated). The team was not full of choir boys. And Landry didn't cut problems immediately as you have attempted to imply. You and others want to uphold the image. So did Jordan. Read Thomas Henderson's book, it will enlighten you. Unless of course you believe all the Saint Tom notions, if so it will all be lies to you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Hold on, Lee Roy Jordan could speak for all of the Cowboys on those teams? If you have been a part of any team, you know there are cliques and factions within. Jordan called the ideas BS partially because he had little to do with those like Gent.

It is no secret Coach Landry had his chosen ones that fit the image he wanted and played favorites. He did it with Jordan and he did it with Bob Breunig, Staubach and others. Just because Jordan called the account garbage, doesn't mean there wasn't a double standard and a portion of truth to the book (the movie was even more exagerrated). The team was not full of choir boys. And Landry didn't cut problems immediately as you have attempted to imply. You and others want to uphold the image. So did Jordan. Read Thomas Henderson's book, it will enlighten you. Unless of course you believe all the Saint Tom notions, if so it will all be lies to you.

Hold on Pete Gent can? give me a break. I never said the players were saints but Landry got rid of problem players if you don't believe then fine. "Landry didn't cut problems immediately" where did I say that? as I recall I said he would give guys a second chance as he did with Thomas but once he showed no change he cut Thomas regardless of the fact that Thomas was the best back on the team, yes Hill was there as well but Thomas was the better back and if you watched back then I would not have to tell you that.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
"Landry didn't cut problems immediately" where did I say that? as I recall I said he would give guys a second chance as he did with Thomas but once he showed no change he cut Thomas regardless of the fact that Thomas was the best back on the team, yes Hill was there as well but Thomas was the better back and if you watched back then I would not have to tell you that.

This implies something different?

Thing is those questionable elements on the team did not stay around long.

And again, Hill was around, so he cut Thomas after tolerating as much as he could. So what if Duane was the "best"? He simply wouldn't cut talent if he didn't have other players ready to assume their role. That flies directly in the face of the idea that he "didn't keep problems around for long".

Statements like that and the other make-believe assumptions like "back in the old days, Tom Landry would never tolerate a problem player" is complete and utter fiction. He was no less patient, nor any more demanding than Coach Parcells is today. And I am sure if he were alive, he would not be criticizing the Owens acquisition like some of you believe he would.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Thomas was a nut, not a cokehead. He was so good that Landry probably kept him about a year longer just because of that. Niland was a pedophile that hid it pretty good and when it was found out he was gone the next day. Gent was a prick and Landry dumped him after one season. Henderson did not get into coke untill his second season- he lasted one year after he got into it and Landry dumped him. In his book Henderson admitted that once Tom found out he brought him in and told him to kick it or be gone and he didn't so he was gone. I defy you to find any instance of things like that that Tom let of for more then one season - he believed in giving his people a little time to try and get over it but if they did not show progress he was gone. Niland was the only one that was gone right away. WIth Septien it all happened after he left the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Thomas was a nut, not a cokehead. He was so good that Landry probably kept him about a year longer just because of that. Niland was a pedophile that hid it pretty good and when it was found out he was gone the next day. Gent was a prick and Landry dumped him after one season. Henderson did not get into coke untill his second season- he lasted one year after he got into it and Landry dumped him. In his book Henderson admitted that once Tom found out he brought him in and told him to kick it or be gone and he didn't so he was gone. I defy you to find any instance of things like that that Tom let of for more then one season - he believed in giving his people a little time to try and get over it but if they did not show progress he was gone. Niland was the only one that was gone right away. WIth Septien it all happened after he left the Cowboys.

I agree and pretty much what I have argued. Any one who thinks that Landry would tolerate problem players for very long evidently were not watching the Cowboys back then.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree and pretty much what I have argued. Any one who thinks that Landry would tolerate problem players for very long evidently were not watching the Cowboys back then.

And the same applies to those who apply blanket labels like "the Landry Cowboys were saints, not sinners". The situation is no worse today with Terrell Owens on the roster than it was back then.

Coach Parcells hasn't been any more tolerant of problems either. But like Landry, he will give it a chance to sort itself out (Antonio Bryant is a perfect example). Which is why the bleating and moaning about the loss of the purity of the Dallas Cowboys and "when the star meant something business" is false in relation to the constant Owens hysteria.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Alexander said:
And the same applies to those who apply blanket labels like "the Landry Cowboys were saints, not sinners". The situation is no worse today with Terrell Owens on the roster than it was back then.

Coach Parcells hasn't been any more tolerant of problems either. But like Landry, he will give it a chance to sort itself out (Antonio Bryant is a perfect example). Which is why the bleating and moaning about the loss of the purity of the Dallas Cowboys and "when the star meant something business" is false in relation to the constant Owens hysteria.

I have not said a thing about TO through out this tread and have not compared todays team or todays NFL with that of Landry's teams. All I have stated is that Landry did not put up with problem players for long and that is true statement. It seems your trying to turn this into a TO topic and I have not done that on this thread. I will say I think Landry just like many other coachs in the NFL would have passes on getting TO, hate to say it but there was no long line of teams drooling over TO and Tom never went out of his way to go out and trade for or pick up players with known problems. Dallas is taking a chance and for the sake of this team I hope this works out. I hope that the TO can control himself and be here for the lenght of the contract which if not mistaken is a 3 year deal (with year to year bonus money)

1fisher

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Sure, lets sign him up. Its not like the star means anything anymore. Any ole criminal element that wants to play football should be given a chance. I am sure its not his fault hes a bad guy and with a pocket full of money he would fly straight and become a decent member of society. Right?

post of the day!!!!! some of the people here would sign someone on death row if he could play QB or right tackle!:bang2:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I did not want TO. But to give El Diablo his due, he never shot anyone; knifed anyone; did a hit and run and kill two people; and as far as anyone knows he is drug free. He is sort of like- old baseball fans might remember- Bill SPACEMAN Lee, that crazy pitcher for the late 70's, early 80's Montreal Expos and some other teams I cannot remember.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I did not want TO. But to give El Diablo his due, he never shot anyone; knifed anyone; did a hit and run and kill two people; and as far as anyone knows he is drug free. He is sort of like- old baseball fans might remember- Bill SPACEMAN Lee, that crazy pitcher for the late 70's, early 80's.

I agree. TO has multi-million dollar talent and keeps himself in great shape, I have never heard of him getting involved with drugs or being one who runs the streets at night. My only concern with him is his ability to cause problems on a team by shooting his mouth off to the press when ever he gets upset and creating a divide on the team.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. TO has multi-million dollar talent and keeps himself in great shape, I have never heard of him getting involved with drugs or being one who runs the streets at night. My only concern with him is his ability to cause problems on a team by shooting his mouth off to the press when ever he gets upset and creating a divide on the team.

And I believe the general point is that you cannot divide something that wasn't already headed that way.

Owens did do a very bad thing is Philly. He was the salt on a wound that was already there. But he didn't cause the wound, nor did he contribute to the rudderless ship that was in San Francisco. Eagles management started that with their constant pandering to McNabb while other players had to beg and plead for new contracts and pay that fit their production.

Make no mistake, what he did in both places was wrong. But if he does that here and it succeeds, then we should be more worried about the state of our lockerroom before he got here. That would just mean there were issues and dirty laundry that he could air.