OT: Breaking News on the gambling story...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
State of New Jersey S592970:lmao:

Versus
Richard R Tocchet
DOB 4-19/64

Cliff Notes!
Charges related to period 12-29-05 to 2-5-06
594 Bets total of $1,086,100
Money Laundering

He is 1 of 3 defendants named!
Are the other 2 Defendants Janet Jones or Wayne Gretzky?

Have charges been filed on either of them?

Were you aware that if you aren't being charged with a crime that you won't be incriminating yourself if you testify?

Were you aware that spouses have special exemptions in most states against testifying against their spouse?

If you think you're looking good in all of this, you might want to think again.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
Hos - move on - you were wrong again on your statement.

I have the document against Tocchet - contrair to your denial. Schooled again!!!!!!!! And yes its in a written document!!!!!!:laugh2:
- stay focused dude.:laugh1:

There are no current charges against Jones/Gretzky. That has no bearing on if Wayne is able to stay in the NHL once this all unfolds. There is precendent if he is in any capacity part of this activity.;)
You move on Nors. I don't take my marching orders from you. Never will.

You haven't proven anything. Dream on.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Why don't we do this. Let's all agree to get back with one another as soon as it is made public that Wayne Gretzky is going to be charged.

At that point, we will all have something to discuss. Until then, I'm all for not convicting Gretzky until we've actually been told that the Gallows are going up and Hos has been instructed to start fashioning the neck tie.

He needs to step down, known association with illegal gambling rings, mafia reflects poorly on the NHL and is a distraction/embarassment.

If nothing else - Wayne is practicing for the Summer Olympics. He's been practicing the "throw your wife under the bus" toss!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
It's people like Nors who keep people with legitimate inside sources from posting info.

He implies that he has all these sources and inside info but then backs it up much later by showing that he read it on the internet. Hardly "access" in most people's minds.

When people do come in with a "scoop", everyone questions their veracity because of this type of crap.

Now to Gretzky. Just because some people can't fathom betting $75,000 on a single game doesn't mean anything. When you have a net worth in the hundreds of millions of dollars, that's chump change. Some people finding a quarter on the street affects them more.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Hos - move on - you were wrong again on your statement.

I have the document against Tocchet - contrair to your denial. Schooled again!!!!!!!! And yes its in a written document!!!!!!:laugh2:
- stay focused dude.:laugh1:

There are no current charges against Jones/Gretzky. That has no bearing on if Wayne is able to stay in the NHL once this all unfolds. There is precendent if he is in any capacity part of this activity.;)

Tocchet is a far piece down the road from where you were trying to take this Nors, which is link it directly to Gretzky. You and I both know that was the direction you were on before we all got started on this thing.

Basically, if he's found to be guilty, then OK, do what the laws of the land and the league deems appropriate. If he's not, walk on and say your sorry for dragging his good name in the mud.

I will however, remind you that nobody here has been proven right or wrong about anything. You've been heard and so have we.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You move on Nors. I don't take my marching orders from you. Never will.

You haven't proven anything. Dream on.

I have more than Proven the validity of Tocchet doc. Stop fighting it........

PM me E-mail address and I'll shoot out to anyone interested the doc.

Move on - that point - its over.:lmao2:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Gretzky has to fly out Sunday to Olympics - telling 48 hours for him and his wife.

I'll monitor Team Canada over the weekend for announcements.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Gretzky has to fly out Sunday to Olympics - telling 48 hours for him and his wife.

I'll monitor Team Canada over the weekend for announcements.

OK, don't miss any meals or stay up to late doing any of this Nors. I'm certain that if by some rediculously extrodinary stoke of master piece dective work, something were to come to light, it would be all over the networks long before you ever posted it to this board.

FYI, Federal cases do not typically allow people under investigation to travel out of the country if they are suspected of wrong doing.

Got that one on Justice Files.

;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
He needs to step down, known association with illegal gambling rings, mafia reflects poorly on the NHL and is a distraction/embarassment.

If nothing else - Wayne is practicing for the Summer Olympics. He's been practicing the "throw your wife under the bus" toss!

There is no link that suggest he is knowingly associating with gambling.

John Kennedy was the president of these United States. Robert Kennedy was the Attorney General. Ted Kennedy is a Senator for these United States. There father was Joseph Kennedy, known racketeer with proven ties to the Mob. Does this mean that John, Robert and Ted should all be removed?

You got nothing without proff and Nors my friend, you have absolutly no proof at this stage of the game.

EOS

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
I have more than Proven the validity of Tocchet doc. Stop fighting it........

PM me E-mail address and I'll shoot out to anyone interested the doc.

Move on - that point - its over.:lmao2:
Sure you have.

The voices in your head say it, so you believe it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
OK, don't miss any meals or stay up to late doing any of this Nors. I'm certain that if by some rediculously extrodinary stoke of master piece dective work, something were to come to light, it would be all over the networks long before you ever posted it to this board.

FYI, Federal cases do not typically allow people under investigation to travel out of the country if they are suspected of wrong doing.

Got that one on Justice Files.

;)
Good one.

:lmao2:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Sure you have.

The voices in your head say it, so you believe it.

E-mail address tough guy?
You are sooooo wrrrrroooonnnngggg

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
The Probe has widened and 2nd State Trooper suspended.....

Associated Press Writer Beth DeFalco in Glendale, Ariz., contributed to this report.

Meanwhile, an investigator revealed just how closely NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is monitoring the situation.

"He's plugged into what we're doing on a daily, even hourly basis," said Robert Cleary, the former Unabomber prosecutor hired by the NHL.
A second New Jersey state trooper was suspended in connection with the ring, and the state trooper charged this week with helping run the operation is now looking for a job, his lawyer said.

Authorities in New Jersey allege that Tocchet financed and helped run the ring, which took in a total of $1.7 million in wagers in the five weeks culminating in the Super Bowl.

New Jersey authorities on Tuesday announced charges against Tocchet, a New Jersey state trooper and a South Jersey man with running the gambling operation. All face charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy and are scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 21. :eek: New Jersey versus Richard R Tocchet Case S-592970

Cleary was hired Wednesday to find out whether and to what extent NHL players were involved in the betting ring. Bettman also told Cleary to cooperate with law enforcement whenever warranted.

While Bettman expects a thorough investigation, Cleary would not say if or when he would interview Gretzky, Tocchet or Jones.

A person with knowledge of the investigation told the AP on Thursday that Gretzky was caught on state wiretaps talking with Tocchet about his wife's alleged involvement in the ring and ways she could avoid detection.

The person said the wiretaps were made within the past month. Earlier this week, Gretzky said he had no prior knowledge of the gambling accusations. He reiterated that Thursday night, but shed no light on the wiretap recordings.

Also Thursday, Phoenix general manager Michael Barnett -- Gretzky's former agent -- released a statement addressing reports that he bet on the Super Bowl through Tocchet and later met with investigators in New Jersey about the case.

"They informed me that my conduct has in no way violated either federal or state laws," he said.

The second trooper suspended was Sgt. Michael Kaiser. Authorities believe he knew of the gambling activity but did not report it, said a law enforcement official speaking on the condition of anonymity because suspensions are internal matters. Kaiser, a trooper for 21 years who earns a base salary of $90,785, was not charged with any crimes.

James Harney, the state trooper charged in the ring and suspended from the force, is now in the market for a job.

"He's got to support his children and himself," lawyer Craig Mitnick said.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
There is a thing called aiding and abating.

If you have knowledge of a crime and do nothing, there are legal ramifications.

Aiding and abetting too - Probe just widened today as they nailed 2nd state cop on this...... Good call.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Canada hopes Gretzky scandal won't be distraction By Steve Keating
Fri Feb 10, 8:47 AM ET

TURIN (Reuters) - The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) was bracing for the arrival of the men's hockey team at the Turin Games as the gambling scandal swirling around Wayne Gretzky continued to escalate on Friday.

On the day of the opening ceremonies, Canadian Olympic officials said they hoped the controversy surrounding Gretzky's involvement in the gambling investigation would not distract from the efforts of athletes competing at the Winter Games.

A defiant Gretzky, who is head coach and part-owner of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes and executive director of Team Canada, has denied ever wagering on professional sports.

Gretzky said he will travel with the team to Italy on Tuesday despite increasing calls from the media for him to step aside until he is cleared of any wrong-doing.

Gretzky's wife, actress Janet Jones, has been implicated as a heavy bettor with the ring.

"We are talking with Hockey Canada on a frequent basis to make sure we have all the facts and we can move forward together," said Chris Rudge, the CEO and secretary general of the COC.

"I really hope it doesn't divert attention from the good things the athletes will do.

"I don't think it will be a distraction for our team or the athletes.

"It's a distraction for Canadians because hockey is a religion in Canada.

"We stand 100 percent behind our team."

Reports of Gretzky's links to a multimillion-dollar gambling ring have rocked Canada with the shockwaves felt all the way to the Turin Olympics.

The NHL's all-time scoring leader and widely considered the sport's all-time greatest player, Gretzky enjoys iconic status in Canada where he is known as "The Great One."

The architect and inspirational leader behind team that ended a 50-year Olympic gold medal drought at the Salt Lake City Winter Games, Gretzky returned as executive director this year despite the recent death of his mother that forced the Hall of Famer to take a leave of absence from the Coyotes.

"Mr. Gretzky has contributed so much to the sport it would be a shame to see anyone contaminated without proof," said Rudge.

The New Jersey Star Ledger, citing law enforcement sources, reported Thursday that secretly recorded phone calls revealed Gretzky knew about the ring.

It said investigators were looking into whether he placed any wagers through Jones, who is alleged to have bet $500,000 on games during the six-week state probe dubbed "Operation Slap Shot."

The newspaper cited investigators as saying there was no evidence Gretzky directly bet through the ring.

Rick Tocchet, a Coyotes assistant under Gretzky, was charged this week by New Jersey authorities with financing the ring, which police allege took in more than $1.7 million in bets during the investigation.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Managing partner?
*Coach he hired and confidant indicted on interstate gambling ring, racketeering, money laundering - not to mention well known ties to Bruno Scarfo family in Philly
*General Manager (former Gretzky AGENT) made bet through Tochet
*Former Phoenix players linked to gamblies
*His wife betting $500K during limited investigation period

He knew of this, and aided and abetted. He has not done what is best for the team and his co-owners (assuming they are not part of syndacite too)

This may swiftly pass you must step down to YOUR FIRED

Olympic Ice Hockey News
A Great, big messBy Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports | February 10, 2006

Gretzky: 'I've done nothing wrong'

TURIN, Italy – They are coming fast now, wiretap leaks and anonymous district attorney office comments, faster and more furious than Wayne Gretzky circling the net.

They are coming in waves, allegations and rumors, capable of overwhelming hockey, here in the first fledgling season of its professional return, here on the eve of the Winter Games that was supposed to market the sport to the masses.

And in the middle is Gretzky, the way he has been for nearly three decades. The greatest and most famous player the sport has ever known – the part-owner, full-time coach of the Phoenix Coyotes, the executive director of gold-medal favorite Team Canada – finds himself the focus of a quickly expanding gambling/crime scandal.

Just a day after Gretzky claimed he wasn't involved in a scheme where his close friend and assistant coach, Rick Tocchet, was facing charges of promoting gambling, money laundering and conspiracy, and Gretzky's wife, actress Janet Jones, was said to have wagered $500,000, new questions arose.

Friday's Newark Star-Ledger, citing sources inside the local district attorney's office, said in a wiretap conversation Gretzky and Tocchet "discussed what authorities knew about the gambling operation, how they knew it and how they and Jones could stay out of trouble."

The Tocchet operation, authorities said, has ties to the Philadelphia-based Bruno-Scarfo organized crime family. :eek:: :eek::

Of great concern for the already teetering NHL is that a fast-growing number of players are being implicated in placing bets with Tocchet, including, the newspaper reported, Jeremy Roenick and Travis Green.

What's next has consumed the Olympic Games here, as Gretzky is set to arrive Sunday to watch the Canadian team which he restored to the sports pinnacle in Salt Lake City go for consecutive gold medals.

His arrival will be a media circus, not just in Canada, where he is a near incomparable hero, but around the globe. It is the last thing hockey needs. :cool: It is the last thing the Olympics needs. It is the last thing anyone wants.

But the questions are as enormous as they are serious, and while Gretzky has not been charged with anything, he will be required to speak.

Where did his wife get half a mil to gamble? Residuals from "Police Academy 5"? How believable is it that a former Hollywood starlet-turned-suburban-homemaker is the high-stakes sports gambler and not her ultra-competitive husband? :eek:
How could Gretzky's wife and friend be caught and he not be involved?:eek: Just as Tocchet and Gretzky allegedly asked about the authorities, Gretzky will now be asked himself what he knew about the gambling operation, and how (and when) did he know it?

Without question, hockey wishes there was a simple answer. Gretzky has always carried himself as the classiest of stars – down to earth, simple, humble, heroic. It is almost impossible to find anyone with anything negative to say about Gretzky, anyone who hopes this is all but one big mistake, one big nightmare, one big false allegation.

There is nothing in his public persona that would make you think this could happen.

But it is happening. And it is happening at the worst possible hour.

As symbolic and headline-grabbing as the Gretzky name is, though, maybe Janet just got out of control and Wayne is, indeed, innocent.

But who knows how many players are involved? The names are being leaked by the day. Rumors are flying about the biggest names in the game. We're talking all-stars and MVPs.

There are stories of Philly mobsters sitting in Eric Lindros' Flyers comp seats. There is significant evidence of Russian players being linked to the Russian mafia, a charge the league never wanted to investigate and, realistically, never properly could.

While it is difficult to imagine hockey games were compromised due to the limited gambling interest in the sport in the United States, a few days ago it was difficult to imagine a gambling scandal swirling around Wayne and Janet, yet here it is.

Understand a couple of things about how bookmakers work.

It is almost impossible for an assistant hockey coach and a New Jersey state trooper (Tocchet's partner, authorities claim) to operate a large-scale, multi-state gambling book without being tied to some kind of organized crime. Often your corner bookie cannot stay in business as an independent, and he certainly isn't taking alleged $75,000 Super Bowl bets from Mrs. Wayne Gretzky. :banghead:
Organized crime families are in all sorts of, uh, businesses, and gambling is often used as a hook, a chance to control a powerful person through blackmail. If a crime family wants someone, it finds a way to get them under their thumb, whether it's gambling, drugs or extramarital affairs – whatever the vice, whatever it takes.

They know there is almost no financial gambling hole a professional athlete cannot pay his way out of, just as there is almost nothing one of them might do to avoid being publicly linked to the mob.

The FBI will tell you one of the great fallacies of game fixing is the concept that athletes – college or pro – do it for the money. They usually do it as a result of blackmail, the cost of career, reputation, marriage or NCAA eligibility.

Gretzky and Tocchet discussed how to "stay out of trouble." Heaven knows what the answer was.

But that is a question that needs to be asked in a controversy that is gaining speed, Gretzky-through-center-ice style, and showing no signs of slowing down.

Coming soon "Dirt Nap" starring Janet Gretzky Jones

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist. Dan is the author of two new books.

"Glory Road", with Don Haskins, is about the legendary coach of 1966 NCAA champion Texas Western, whose decision to start five black players was instrumental in integrating college teams in the South. A Disney movie of the same name is now playing in theaters.

Also on sale now is "Runnin' Rebel: Shark Tales of 'Extra Benefits,' Frank Sinatra and Winning It All" with colorful former UNLV coach Jerry Tarkanian.

Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
Updated on Friday, Feb 10, 2006 12:07 pm EST

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
The IRS could get involved.......there are legalities/charges that could be forthcoming if they don't cooperate with investigation. These are Jersey guys after them - they will put the screws to the great two (Gretzky/Jones)

Strictly speaking, it is not a crime to place a bet, according to John Hagerty, spokesman for the state Division of Criminal Justice. "The act of betting is not illegal. The act of accepting a bet and making money off of a bet is considered promoting gambling and that's a crime," he said. But soliciting friends to use your bookmaker, or placing bets for others with a bookmaker, could be prosecuted, he said.

Q: Are gambling earnings considered taxable income?

A: Yes.