OT: Breaking News on the gambling story...

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Trouble in Coyoteland, Part II
02/10/2006 07:33:29
A story that began with a whimper in the Jersey press about a former Philadelphia Flyer - now Phoenix Coyotes associate coach - and two other men accused of running a bookmaking operation, has boiled up into a billowing black cloud over the National Hockey League, its most famous player and perhaps the Winter Games in Turin.

Headlines scream across Canada that the bloom is off that country’s most endearing personality – “The Great One” Wayne Gretzky.

Very soon Gretzky will depart for the Winter Olympics as the architect and director of the Canadian national hockey team. Already background noise is rising urging Gretzky to step down and spare the team and the Olympics the tarnish of this ongoing betting scandal.
Because of Gretzky’s reputation, because of his reported knowledge of the bookmaking operation, because of his deep friendship to its alleged financier Rick Tocchet, because of his semi-celebrity wife’s reported betting, this story has become the Wayne Gretzky story.

The biggest question in the sporting world today is what did Wayne know and when did he know it?

The Newark Star-Ledger, which has largely led the way on the story, reports today that an unnamed law enforcement source says Gretzky and Tocchet were caught on telephone wiretap several weeks ago discussing how they could minimize the fallout for themselves and Gretzky’s wife, Janet Jones.In the wiretapped conversation, Gretzky and Tocchet, a Coyotes assistant coach, discussed what authorities knew about the gambling operation, how they knew it and how they and Jones could stay out of trouble, the source said yesterday.

In the middle of Thursday night’s Coyotes’ game at Glendale Arena, Gretzky’s wife Janet Jones, who is accused of laying down large bets with the gambling ring, issued a press release saying she never placed a bet for her husband. "Other than the occasional horse race, my husband does not bet on any sports."

In a post-game news conference, Gretzky said,

"I've done nothing wrong, or nothing that has to do with anything along the lines of betting. …That just never happened. ...I've felt like the last three days I've defended myself over something that absolutely, unequivocally I was not involved with."

In the press conference, Gretzky revealed something of the stress he is under:

"I hope you appreciate that (the past) three days have been horrible, and I'm just too tired mentally and physically to talk any more about it. There's nothing for me to talk about. If you have any questions for people who are involved in this, you should contact them."

Earlier, Gretzky was quoted in theEast Valley Tribune saying,

“If I had made one bet, I would have quit the Coyotes. I would never embarrass the team or the organization. If I had made one bet, I would have quit Team Canada. I would never embarrass them. There's nothing for me to hide from."

A problem Gretzky faces at the moment is loss of credibility. When the scandal first broke, he denied knowledge of it, according to press reports. Subsequent stories of his phone conversations with Tocchet suggest otherwise.Knight Ridder columnist Greg Cote writes,

There is no indication yet that Gretzky was directly involved. He denies the common supposition that he placed bets through his wife, although that denial must be weighed in the context of what appears pretty clear now:

The Great One is a liar.
Gretzky claimed Tuesday he had no knowledge of the gambling ring or his wife's participation until Tocchet informed him Monday night.

Oops. Wrong answer, Wayne.

Big problems also loom for the National Hockey League, which Canada’s National Post columnist Mark Spector argues has known for years it has a gambling problem:

Let's face it -- NHL players and officials have been linked to gambling in recent years so often, it was inevitable that the law would walk through a door the league has clearly been unable to shut. Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick have both been linked to professional gamblers in published reports, and you can be sure NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is not chuckling at the irony that those two and Tocchet once made up the Coyotes' first line in Phoenix. :eek: Jaromir Jagr has made the papers as a heavy gambler as well.

Some sports writers want to know why the NHL commissioner, the unfortunately named Gary Bettman, has not been more visible addressing the matter.

Writes Cote,

This isn't a black eye for Bettman's beleaguered league. It is that, plus a bloody nose, broken teeth and, just for good measure, a busted kneecap.:eek::

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
A story that began with a whimper in the Jersey press about a former Philadelphia Flyer - now Phoenix Coyotes associate coach - and two other men accused of running a bookmaking operation, has boiled up into a billowing black cloud over the National Hockey League, its most famous player and perhaps the Winter Games in Turin.

Headlines scream across Canada that the bloom is off that country’s most endearing personality – “The Great One” Wayne Gretzky.

Very soon Gretzky will depart for the Winter Olympics as the architect and director of the Canadian national hockey team. Already background noise is rising urging Gretzky to step down and spare the team and the Olympics the tarnish of this ongoing betting scandal.
Because of Gretzky’s reputation, because of his reported knowledge of the bookmaking operation, because of his deep friendship to its alleged financier Rick Tocchet, because of his semi-celebrity wife’s reported betting, this story has become the Wayne Gretzky story.

The biggest question in the sporting world today is what did Wayne know and when did he know it?

The Newark Star-Ledger, which has largely led the way on the story, reports today that an unnamed law enforcement source says Gretzky and Tocchet were caught on telephone wiretap several weeks ago discussing how they could minimize the fallout for themselves and Gretzky’s wife, Janet Jones.In the wiretapped conversation, Gretzky and Tocchet, a Coyotes assistant coach, discussed what authorities knew about the gambling operation, how they knew it and how they and Jones could stay out of trouble, the source said yesterday.

In the middle of Thursday night’s Coyotes’ game at Glendale Arena, Gretzky’s wife Janet Jones, who is accused of laying down large bets with the gambling ring, issued a press release saying she never placed a bet for her husband. "Other than the occasional horse race, my husband does not bet on any sports."

"I've done nothing wrong, or nothing that has to do with anything along the lines of betting. …That just never happened. ...I've felt like the last three days I've defended myself over something that absolutely, unequivocally I was not involved with."

"I hope you appreciate that (the past) three days have been horrible, and I'm just too tired mentally and physically to talk any more about it. There's nothing for me to talk about. If you have any questions for people who are involved in this, you should contact them."

“If I had made one bet, I would have quit the Coyotes. I would never embarrass the team or the organization. If I had made one bet, I would have quit Team Canada. I would never embarrass them. There's nothing for me to hide from."

A problem Gretzky faces at the moment is loss of credibility. When the scandal first broke, he denied knowledge of it, according to press reports. Subsequent stories of his phone conversations with Tocchet suggest otherwise.Knight Ridder columnist Greg Cote writes,

There is no indication yet that Gretzky was directly involved. He denies the common supposition that he placed bets through his wife, although that denial must be weighed in the context of what appears pretty clear now:

The Great One is a liar.
Gretzky claimed Tuesday he had no knowledge of the gambling ring or his wife's participation until Tocchet informed him Monday night.

Big problems also loom for the National Hockey League, which Canada’s National Post columnist Mark Spector argues has known for years it has a gambling problem:

Let's face it -- NHL players and officials have been linked to gambling in recent years so often, it was inevitable that the law would walk through a door the league has clearly been unable to shut. Keith Tkachuk and Jeremy Roenick have both been linked to professional gamblers in published reports, and you can be sure NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is not chuckling at the irony that those two and Tocchet once made up the Coyotes' first line in Phoenix. :eek: Jaromir Jagr has made the papers as a heavy gambler as well.

Some sports writers want to know why the NHL commissioner, the unfortunately named Gary Bettman, has not been more visible addressing the matter.

Writes Cote,

This isn't a black eye for Bettman's beleaguered league. It is that, plus a bloody nose, broken teeth and, just for good measure, a busted kneecap.:eek::
This is a newspaper article. They aren't documented anything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Wow Nors, you're like a dog with a bone on this one. Haven't seen you like this since the original "Ty Law to Dallas" days.

What's your beef w/waiting until everything comes out? Yes alot of info has come out, but that's for the public more than the actual legal entities involved.
Aren't you glad he's not a judge or an attorney? I would never put him on a jury. He'd read the paper and sleep through the trial.

Wow.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
OK, this article says that the ring has been in existance for at least 5 years. Does that mean that the investigation has been going on for 5 years?

The article also states that Jones has bet a total of 500K with this ring. So, does that mean 100K a year? There is nothing in this article to substantiate 100K per month. That is a fabrication without more proof.

To many questions and too many would-be scoop reporters running around throwing out BS.
You're way short. He said she bet $500k per month. Over 5 years that's a lot of scratch.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Your right, that's why he's in jail right now, correct? Get real. At this point, there is nothing to link him to anything.

You have no clue what is on tape. According to ESPN, there was a discussion between he and Tochett discussing how he could keep his wife out of this mess. That would clearly indicate to me that the discussion took place after they were informed of the investigations findings. How does that constitute knowledge of the gambling ring? To me, that's a husband trying to get his wife out of trouble. What husband, worth a crap wouldn't do that? Wouldn't you try to do the same for your wife if you could?

At this point, no substance other then shock value for the tabloids and of course you.
When I tried to point this out he called it an "attack." Said it was off topic.

You know what that means right? Unless you agree with his views, you're "off topic." Never straighten him out. That's an "attack."

Beyond ridiculous.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Wow Nors, you're like a dog with a bone on this one. Haven't seen you like this since the original "Ty Law to Dallas" days.

What's your beef w/waiting until everything comes out? Yes alot of info has come out, but that's for the public more than the actual legal entities involved.

I have access to a lot of stuff on this case. There is a lot of local radio talk with proven insiders that are days ahead of the curve on this story.

Gretzky is going down here - by all accounts. I have had direct dealings in gambling and have seen what organized crime represents and do. Its more than the "movies" depicts and glorifies.

Guys like Tochett, the bad cop Arrested, the Philly crime syndicate are bad, bad people. That Gretzky has allowed himself to be drawn in like this reflects poorly on him, his sport, his team and his country at Olympics.

Its easy to advocate he's a great guy, he surely was not involved, he didn't lie, leave him alone, etc.

Based on all I've seen - He'd be best served stepping down and letting this go through the legal process. His first attempt at covering up his family involvement was a very, very poor precursor of his intentions/involvement - JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:

The Great One is a liar.

Writes Cote,

OK, how is this different then any of the rest of the stuff we've already talked about? I'm sorry, but I can't see how a guy can be condemed for trying to keep his wife out of trouble. The guy said he had no kowledge of the ring. That could be true. I mean, he may have known that his wife had placed bets with what turned out to be a ring but that's not the same as having actual knowledge of the gambling ring. Lets stick to the exact letter of each word here why don't we. I'm sure we all go 25 and not 26 in a school zone crossing and I know we all go 55 and not 56 on the free way right?

I think that at this point, you have nothing on the guy and everybody is trying to make something out of nothing because he is Gretzky. If it comes out that he was involved with it, then fine, I have no beef at all with whatever. It's an entirely different thing to convict the guy on 0 evidence and what the press is spinning in order to sell air time.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
I have access to a lot of stuff on this case. There is a lot of local radio talk with proven insiders that are days ahead of the curve on this story.
maybe so, but no one should ever hose their life just based on allegations. I know little to squat about hockey, but the basic premise for public figures when B.S. comes out is simply make a statement (which he did) and then let the legal eagles sort it out. Move forward as if he has org backing him and let the process do its job. Try to keep as low a profile as possble until furor dies down some.

While it's definitely a whole lot deeper, but you're reacting similar to how folks were acting when Irvin got arrested recently. Jumping to conclusions and ready to hang the guy.

From what I understand, I think Gretzky has built up enuff cred to at least warrant a benefit of the doubt. JMO

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
You're way short. He said she bet $500k per month. Over 5 years that's a lot of scratch.

Hos: stay out of a debate that you don't have the facts on. Its all there for you to read if you want.

*This was an operation that was in existence NJ authorities said dated back to 2001.

*They tracked and documentd $1.7M in bets in a 4-5 week period in late December to 2-5-06. Remember Operation slap shot was only set up in October 2005. Of the $1.7M in that timeframe JANET JONES BET $500K!!!!!!!! $75K on Super Bowl and $5K on coin flip. (you'd have to be naive to think a person betting that coin on 1 game only bet $420K in previous 5 years) FACTS ARE $500K in said period they tracked

Gretzky was wiretapped weeks ago with Tochett scheming how to cover this up. He better hope Feds and Ricoh act does not get involved.:laugh2: Poor lad went out and got caught in a HUGE Lie denying he knew!

What else is he lying about?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:

Gretzky is going down here - by all accounts. I have had direct dealings in gambling and have seen what organized crime represents and do. Its more than the "movies" depicts and glorifies.

Guys like Tochett, the bad cop Arrested, the Philly crime syndicate are bad, bad people. That Gretzky has allowed himself to be drawn in like this reflects poorly on him, his sport, his team and his country at Olympics.

Its easy to advocate he's a great guy, he surely was not involved, he didn't lie, leave him alone, etc.

Based on all I've seen - He'd be best served stepping down and letting this go through the legal process. His first attempt at covering up his family involvement was a very, very poor precursor of his intentions/involvement - JMO

LOL!!!!

The on line "Official Law Fan Club" does not exactly qualify as an authority on matters of Law. You don't know anything more then anybody else on this because any sort of Federal Investigation does not permit knowledge of investigation to anybody. Info is realeased through official channels only.

What are we talking here Nors, Ask Zola? The Great Eight Ball or the Amazing Carnac? Tell me which numbers I should be looking at in the PowerBall tomorrow will ya?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Hos: stay out of a debate that you don't have the facts on. Its all there for you to read if you want.

*This was an operation that was in existence NJ authorities said dated back to 2001.

*They tracked and documentd $1.7M in bets in a 4-5 week period in late December to 2-5-06. Remember Operation slap shot was only set up in October 2005. Of the $1.7M in that timeframe JANET JONES BET $500K!!!!!!!! $75K on Super Bowl and $5K on coin flip. (you'd have to be naive to think a person betting that coin on 1 game only bet $420K in previous 5 years) FACTS ARE $500K in said period they tracked

Gretzky was wiretapped weeks ago with Tochett scheming how to cover this up. He better hope Feds and Ricoh act does not get involved.:laugh2: Poor lad went out and got caught in a HUGE Lie denying he knew!

I once heard him say, "Law to Dallas."

Outside of that, I have no other knowledge of any untruths.

;)

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Gretzky is in a much better situation than Irvin

Albeit remote (Gretzky could be clueless on Wife and friends illegal activities)

Irvin was guilty as arrested. He had a crack pipe with residue on his person after search/speeding ticket. He was suspended by ESPN for a week.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:

Don't have the facts?

Oh but I do have the facts.

1. Wayne Gretzky has not been charged with any crime or accused of any crime, but you have him in deep trouble and needing to resign everything he's a part of.

2. The above suggestions (#1) by you completely skip what is called "Due Process of Law" and are in fact unconstitutional. I will gladly explain the Constitution of the United States to you if it will help.

3. I have pointed this (#2) out and you've deemed it an attack when in actuality it is a lesson in government and Law.

4. You believe Internet sites and newspaper articles a "documented proof." They aren't. You are the National Enquirer's dream customer.

5. I corrected you on this (#4) as well.

6. You stated that Janet Jones, a.k.a. Mrs. Wayne Gretzky was gambling "$500k per month" with Tochet's organization. A complete misrepresentation of anything being reported.

Those are just some of the facts. As your delusions grow I'm sure more will surface.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Don't have the facts?

6. You stated that Janet Jones, a.k.a. Mrs. Wayne Gretzky was gambling "$500k per month" with Tochet's organization. A complete misrepresentation of anything being reported.

Those are just some of the facts. As your delusions grow I'm sure more will surface.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/10/s...037196869b7&&ei=5088&&partner=rssnyt&&emc=rss

Its documented she bet $500K in the month period documented in this investigation. Stay focused, your faulty assertion completely blown up. Schooled again.

Don't sling bs - you were duly called. Your 5 yeartimeframe was wrong eh?

ESPN doing a nice article on investigation now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/10/s...037196869b7&&ei=5088&&partner=rssnyt&&emc=rss

Its documented she bet $500K in the month period documented in this investigation. Stay focused, your faulty assertion completely blown up. Schooled again.

One question, who is providing this inside info to the press? You have provided yet another unsubstantiated article and are now trying to pass it off as legal proof. Not going to fly Nors. These alligations may prove to be true but that doesn't change the fact that it's still nothing more then hear say at this point.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Nors said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/10/sports/hockey/10betting.html?ex=1297227600&&en=897c7037196869b7&&ei=5088&&partner=rssnyt&&emc=rss

Wasn't my time frame and I haven't reported anything.

October 2005 through the Super Bowl is 1 month in your world?

Once again, that is "documented" anything.

Do you know what "documented" means? I can't believe I'm asking. Of course not. Go ahead and accuse me of slander now.

:lmao2:

I noticed you couldn't even refute anything else. Not surprised.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Read it - Hos its all there in the thread many times. I'm not going to repost it again. It was a 4-5 week period that they tracked the betting and it totalled $1.7M of Which Wayne's wife bet $500K. $80K On Super Bowl alone......

What happened to your 5 year timeframe? Blown up!!!!!!
You were wrong, caught arguing with no facts. Stop - you are running out of blood on this.

Stay focused!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Green named in probe
Forward doesn't offer comments
Travis Green, seen beating Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury last night, was named in connnection with the gambling probe allegedly run by Rick Tochhet. (AP Photo)

By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff | February 9, 2006

PITTSBURGH -- While New Jersey State Police have declined to identify current players that were involved in the gambling enterprise allegedly financed by Phoenix Coyotes assistant coach Rick Tocchet, yesterday's Newark Star-Ledger named Bruins forward Travis Green as one of the participants.

| Breaking News Alerts Green, who scored Boston's first goal at 7:05 of the second period, was tight-lipped about the allegations, both after the game and at the pregame skate at Mellon Arena. He declined to answer whether he has been interviewed by investigators.

''I don't have a lot to say about it," Green said, who acknowledged feeling relief after scoring. ''[Tocchet] is a friend of mine, but I have no comment about it. I have no comment on that situation."

Tuesday, New Jersey State Police announced the arrests of trooper James Harney, 40, identified as Tocchet's partner by investigators, and James Ulmer, 41, of Swedesboro, N.J. Harney and Ulmer were charged with promoting gambling, money laundering, and conspiracy. Ulmer, according to New Jersey State Police, allegedly funneled wagers to Harney.

''It's certainly not a positive thing for hockey," Bruins coach Mike Sullivan said. ''At this point there's due process. Those of us on the outside really don't know the details, so it's really difficult to comment."

Green, who played in Phoenix for two seasons, played with Tocchet for less than a year. Green played in 78 games for the Coyotes in 1999-2000, and 69 games for Phoenix during the 2000-01 season. In 1999-2000, his third season with the Coyotes, Tocchet was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers after playing 64 games for Phoenix that year. Los Angeles Kings center Jeremy Roenick, also named in the Star-Ledger report, played for the Coyotes from 1996 to 2001. Roenick has admitted to gambling in the past.

''I spoke to Travis personally to make sure he was in the right frame of mind," said Sullivan, who played for the Coyotes for four years before he retired in 2001-02. ''I thought our guys had the necessary focus to be effective out there."

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nors said:
Read it - Hos its all there in the thread many times. I'm not going to repost it again. It was a 4-5 week period that they tracked the betting and it totalled $1.7M of Which Wayne's wife bet $500K. $80K On Super Bowl alone......

What happened to your 5 year timeframe? Blown up!!!!!!
You were wrong, caught arguing with no facts. Stop - you are running out of blood on this.

Stay focused!

Hold the phone here. In the original article you posted, it said the ring had been running for 5 years. It did not pin point the time frame of the 500K. The article you just posted seems to be a re-hash of what has already been circulated with just a bit of difference in the time frames thrown in for flavor. In all of these articles, I have not seen anybody referenced as a source in any official capacity. Only vague statments and time frames. Sorry, nothing I've seen here passes for anything other then hear say.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Misconduct taints game: Scandal tests integrity
By Steve Buckley
Boston Herald General Sports Columnist

Friday, February 10, 2006 - Updated: 01:13 AM EST

You know your league is in trouble when one of your all-time greatest players is getting his name in the papers next to the words “wire tap.”

You know your league is in trouble when it’s just too easy to confuse those colorful mob nicknames with the nicknames of your own players.

And...

The rest of article can only be read by those with integrity.