OTA observations

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. Get Brett Maher back
2. Turpin won't do **** on offense
3. Nashon Wright is a turd. Stop thinking Dan Quinn can DRAFT
4. Tyler Smith is your Day 1 at LG (IF steele is healthy)
5. Dak will throw INTS

rambo2

Reaction score
Which is rather meaningless if it doesn't lead to anything.

Only a complete loser cares about regular season wins.
3rd season in a row with double digit wins isn't meaningless and can lead to a championship. Only a loser dwells on the bad picks when a lot of them are outstanding which has made them the good team that they are today.

rambo2

Reaction score
Yeah that.....one.

We trade picks for a vet this year because his pet cat Fehoko and Tolbert(thus far) can't play.

We trade another pick for a corner because his 2nd(Joseph), 3rd(Wright) and 4th(Robinson) round picks just weren't enough capital to address the position. Interestingly his self proclaimed pet cat Robinson is now playing in the XFL three years after being drafted.

We use our 1st round pick this year on a DT because our 2nd(Hill), 3rd(Gallimore) and 6th(Bohanna) also can't play.

A 2nd(Williams) and 3rd(McGovern) and we still don't have a starting LG that isn't an OT playing out of position.

But you're right. He sucked on that.....one.
About 90% of the starters were drafted by the Cowboys and they are the 3rd favorite to win the NFC.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not while they’re taking up the roster spot of a potentially better player like Scott. He’s out there with the 1’s. It’s not only about the money.
Then let them beat him out. Guys on rookie contracts don't effect the cap like vets do. Pennies on the dollar.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then let them beat him out. Guys on rookie contracts don't effect the cap like vets do. Pennies on the dollar.
Sure, that’s a given. But if that guy on a rookie contract isn’t contributing quality snaps, it’s still a waste. A waste of money, a waste of a roster spot, and in this case a waste if a third round draft pick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
1. Get Brett Maher back
2. Turpin won't do **** on offense
3. Nashon Wright is a turd. Stop thinking Dan Quinn can DRAFT
4. Tyler Smith is your Day 1 at LG (IF steele is healthy)
5. Dak will throw INTS
on Nashon Wright, its hard to hit on every draft pick. sometimes you miss. every team does. so if we blame Dan for Wright. how about Bland? I guess then we give credit to somebody else.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sure, that’s a given. But if that guy on a rookie contract isn’t contributing quality snaps, it’s still a waste. A waste of money, a waste of a roster spot, and in this case a waste if a third round draft pick.
Again, I don't see the harm in letting them compete. I don't see the point in cutting him because we don't gain anything.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, I don't see the harm in letting them compete. I don't see the point in cutting him because we don't gain anything.
I’m not against letting him compete. I’m saying that to this point, he’s a bust. And based on that, I don’t expect him him to ‘win’ any competition for a roster spot.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Does Waletzco progress effect Steele’s leverage in contract negotiations....or is that yet a leap?
Not sure that it does. There are several moving parts here because this is likely Tyron's last year. If Waletzko progresses to the point where he looks like a starter, it could mean Waletzko at LT and Tyler at LG is our best option. If one of the interior players steps up at LG, then we could keep Tyler at LT and give Waletzko a shot of replacing Steele next year at RT. However, we definitely don't know yet if Waletzko is going to even prove worthy of that shot.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Does Waletzco progress effect Steele’s leverage in contract negotiations....or is that yet a leap?
Well it does if they think Waletzko can start at RT long term, but that's a long way away.

817Gill

Reaction score
Clearly, not the only one, but you can do the same with every GM, even any you might consider the best in the game. No one should be saying that McClay is perfect, but you seem to be holding him to a standard that is higher than anyone can meet. No GM is perfect at drafting. Few are even close to perfect.

Ozzie Newsome, one of the best in the game, drafted Kyle Boller in the first round in 2003 and had to take Joe Flacco in 2008 because of the miss. That's just one mistake by Newsome, many others could be referenced.
Perfect response. Obviously McClay has made some mistakes but why look at him in a vacuum? Compared to 32 teams, we by every metric (pro bowlers drafted/guys drafted who start/ guys drafted still on the roster) are a top 3-5 drafting team the last 8 or so years.

Team is a top 5 win percentage squad in that time, so it’s not like we are playing guys who stink. All in all McCley has brought much needed personnel consistency. And lmao at having to use a 5th for a WR and CB who are both guarantee starters on 95% of the rosters in the league. If our “misses” in the mid rounds can be replaced by proven pro-bowl caliber players with other mid round picks I’ll take that literally every year. Does this guy expect us to just keep drafting Daron Bland’s every year lol, you’re gonna miss in rounds 4-6 man that’s normal.

And with all those times we claim we knew the pick wouldn’t work, there’s been just as many times we doubted and the pick did work.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
You're always going to have players who need more than 2 years at the bottom of the roster. Every team has those players. 3rd year guys who haven't shown much yet. Even with 4 year contracts. Development is still important.

There have been several Cowboys players in recent years that didn’t come on until year 3 or later including Connor McGovern, Dalton Schultz, Cedric Wilson and Noah Brown. These are players that don’t get 2nd contracts but do give you a couple of decent to good years on their rookie contracts. Most of them were too expensive to retain but at least yielded compensatory picks.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I’m not against letting him compete. I’m saying that to this point, he’s a bust. And based on that, I don’t expect him him to ‘win’ any competition for a roster spot.
It's his third year. If he shows nothing this year then fine but it is still player development. It will be fun to keep an eye on the CBs with you this year, my man.