Our 3T Defensive Tackles-time for someone to step up!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is Hill's last chance. He must have a hell of a TC to make the roster.
I think he and Bohanna vie for the last DL spot, or at least the DT. What will save one of them is if they keep 11 DL.

Hill is in a contract year as well I believe. Bohanna in his 2nd, so need to see what progress he makes also. As he is the cheaper options and has what, 2 more years on his deal. Don't late round picks usually have 3 years deals? Maybe he has a 4 year deal. Plus he is a Quinnpick vs. Hill a Marinelli pick.

Watkins will be the wild card here, as if he is a surprise cut, then both Hill and Boahnna can stay, if they keep 10.

Hill averaged 40% in the games he played.
Bohanna averaged 24% in the games he played.

Hill was active for the playoff game.
Bohanna was inactive for the playoff game.

They had 5 DTs on the 53 man roster for much of the season.

• At the end of the season they had 5 on the 53:
    • Gallimore
    • Odighi
    • Watkins
    • Hill
    • Bohanna

They had Urban at the beginning of the season and Hamilton was up/down from the practice squad.
- Hill and Gallimore were on IR about 3/4 of the season, but with Urban/Hamilton included, they averaged 5 DTs over the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is Hill's last chance. He must have a hell of a TC to make the roster.
I think he and Bohanna vie for the last DL spot, or at least the DT. What will save one of them is if they keep 11 DL.

Hill is in a contract year as well I believe. Bohanna in his 2nd, so need to see what progress he makes also. As he is the cheaper options and has what, 2 more years on his deal. Don't late round picks usually have 3 years deals? Maybe he has a 4 year deal. Plus he is a Quinnpick vs. Hill a Marinelli pick.

Watkins will be the wild card here, as if he is a surprise cut, then both Hill and Boahnna can stay, if they keep 10.
Hill played 35% of snaps in the playoff game.
- Bohanna was inactive.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Don’t expect much from Hill and it probably means the end in Dallas if he can’t stay healthy with Ridgeway and Watkins certain to make the roster.

I'd actually be surprised if Hill makes the roster. It might be wise to try to trade him to get something for him rather than outright releasing him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Typical in too many cases too. I still had hope for him, going into last season, but not now.
NE & Bill knew when to dump vet players and got picks for them, by trade or by comp picks. Dallas is the opposite.

Yep, Bill could care less when a guy was drafted. If he doesn't come ready to play and perform, he's gone.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The problems we've had at the DT position come from the front office wanting pass rushing DT's. These pass rushing DT's tend to smaller than the run stuffing DT's. That's why I call them jump around DT's. These guys can't over power the guards so they have to be quick off the ball and try to jump around the guards.

But too many of our fans are in love with sacks. It's as if they want eight sacks from all of our starters, including the DT's. But most of these sack getting DT's are going to be bad against the run. So how do we stop the run in crunch time or in the playoffs? Pick your poison.

I'd rather we play our run stuffing DT's way more than we play our pass rushing DT's. Because there's this little thing called rush lanes. The big run stuffers are not quick enough to get out of their rush lanes. So when the QB tries to step up in the pocket...he can't. We as a team could end up with more sacks if the QB can't step up or escape the pocket by running by our DT's.

So I'd rather see Bohanna and Ridgeway be our two starting DT's. Just my opinion and opinions vary.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The front office has used 3 day 2 picks at the 3T Defensive Tackle position and haven't gotten much production out of any of them:

Hill-raw prospect that was handpicked by Marinelli. Has shown flashes, but missed a ton of time due to injury. Last chance to make the next step as he is on the roster bubble.

Gallimore-has the frame as a NT, playing the 3T position. Just like Hill, more of a flash player who has missed a ton of time due to injury. Has to take the next step or he will be our Hill next season fighting for a roster spot.

Osa-the only prospect that was drafted by the current staff. Was real good early on, but appeared to hit the rookie wall. A year to add more weight to his frame is needed. Shows the most promise out of the 3.

Odighi was above average for a rookie DT.
  • His season snap count dwarfed all of the other DTs.
    • Odighi: 616
    • Watkins: 438
    • Hamilton: 249
    • Bohanna: 223
    • Hill: 171
    • Gallimore: 164
    • Brent Urban: 161
  • Playoff Game
    • Watkins: 49%
    • Gallimore: 46%
    • Odighi: 45% (1 less snap than Gallimore)
    • Hill: 35%
    • Bohanna: Inactive
    • Hamilton: Signed with Denver
    • Brent Urban: IR

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The front office has used 3 day 2 picks at the 3T Defensive Tackle position and haven't gotten much production out of any of them:

Hill-raw prospect that was handpicked by Marinelli. Has shown flashes, but missed a ton of time due to injury. Last chance to make the next step as he is on the roster bubble.

Gallimore-has the frame as a NT, playing the 3T position. Just like Hill, more of a flash player who has missed a ton of time due to injury. Has to take the next step or he will be our Hill next season fighting for a roster spot.

Osa-the only prospect that was drafted by the current staff. Was real good early on, but appeared to hit the rookie wall. A year to add more weight to his frame is needed. Shows the most promise out of the 3.
We been sayin this for 10 years. They dont invest at the position so expect poor results

ESisback

Reaction score
OSA, Gallimore, Watkins, Ridgeway, with Big Bo vs. Hill for the 5th spot. IMHO, we’re in good shape.

Pass rushers? Lawrence, Armstrong, Fowler, Golston, Williams. LBers? Parsons, Cox, LVE/Gifford—our front 7 rotation SHOULD be top ten.

Fill the back end with Diggs, Lewis, Hooker, Kearse, Joseph, etc., our defense is poised to take another step up, if healthy. Just optimistic speculation.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
OSA, Gallimore, Watkins, Ridgeway, with Big Bo vs. Hill for the 5th spot. IMHO, we’re in good shape.

Pass rushers? Lawrence, Armstrong, Fowler, Golston, Williams. LBers? Parsons, Cox, LVE/Gifford—our front 7 rotation SHOULD be top ten.

Fill the back end with Diggs, Lewis, Hooker, Kearse, Joseph, etc., our defense is poised to take another step up, if healthy. Just optimistic speculation.
Crazy optimistic. Considering our defense wasnt very good except for getting turnovers. Our interior d line was abysmal against the run all year.

reddyuta

Reaction score
The problems we've had at the DT position come from the front office wanting pass rushing DT's. These pass rushing DT's tend to smaller than the run stuffing DT's. That's why I call them jump around DT's. These guys can't over power the guards so they have to be quick off the ball and try to jump around the guards.

But too many of our fans are in love with sacks. It's as if they want eight sacks from all of our starters, including the DT's. But most of these sack getting DT's are going to be bad against the run. So how do we stop the run in crunch time or in the playoffs? Pick your poison.

I'd rather we play our run stuffing DT's way more than we play our pass rushing DT's. Because there's this little thing called rush lanes. The big run stuffers are not quick enough to get out of their rush lanes. So when the QB tries to step up in the pocket...he can't. We as a team could end up with more sacks if the QB can't step up or escape the pocket by running by our DT's.

So I'd rather see Bohanna and Ridgeway be our two starting DT's. Just my opinion and opinions vary.

bad run D is not all on DTs,our LB play was atrocious too and we brought back broken LVe to repeat the same mistakes again.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score

Osa Odiggey + Neville/Ridgeway will get it done.

Ridgeway is the wild card. This country strong rookie is crazy and likes to body slam players. Me likey :laugh:

blueblood70

Reaction score

not even close to a Hill comp Gallimore when healthy and playing is far better then Hill..thats fact and hes not on the bubble of being gone as hill will be..when Gallimore came back the defense looked better IMO OSi and Gall next too each other was nice combo..add in depth with the ridgeway kid and p[possibly Bo(now he might be the next hill) taking step id say Quinn's doing a lot in short time to change interior of the DL

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hill averaged 40% in the games he played.
Bohanna averaged 24% in the games he played.

Hill was active for the playoff game.
Bohanna was inactive for the playoff game.

They had 5 DTs on the 53 man roster for much of the season.

• At the end of the season they had 5 on the 53:
    • Gallimore
    • Odighi
    • Watkins
    • Hill
    • Bohanna

They had Urban at the beginning of the season and Hamilton was up/down from the practice squad.
- Hill and Gallimore were on IR about 3/4 of the season, but with Urban/Hamilton included, they averaged 5 DTs over the season.
40% of what??