Our assistant coaches really like coaching for Garrett

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
i call the people that wave hands at time management at the end of half Mike Tiricos.

it's one of the few things that a HC does that we know how to quantify so we act like it is the most important thing in the world. Compound that with the emotional circumstances at the end of halves and I can only chuckle at people that act like that is the entirety of what it takes to evaluate a coach.

cml750

Reaction score
I respect everyone who is still not 100% sold on Jason Garrett. That may come as a surprise to some people. It shouldn't. There is little doubt in my mind that those who are still not sold 100% are nevertheless behind him and hoping for the best. The reason for the dissatisfaction is entirely due to a lack of early results.

My only issue with those who are not 100% sold on him is why you would still insult him, if you do. That I don't get. It isn't about one year of proving it either. It is about the way he handles his role as Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys with dignity and respect for the past. What part of that isn't admirable and exactly what we've all been screaming for for years? The one thing some of us disliked about Parcells was that he brought in his Giants and eschewed our Cowboys. I want to emphasize those two words. OUR COWBOYS.

This is not Jerry Jones' team except in ownership. This is our team, our history, our heritage, our legacy, and our passion. No one has respected Tom Landry and the great teams of our past more than Jason Garrett. No one has done more to bring back a pride in our glory days and do things the right way, the Cowboy way. No one.

I do not understand why people would still insult him after we see that with our own eyes. The players do the Landry shift wrong, only one other person has noticed that so far and mentioned it to me, but they do it to honor what being a Dallas Cowboy is supposed to mean. And anyone who does not think the fight in this team is directly due to this man's vision is blind as a bat.

You can have your doubts. Others can too. I respect that, because I know you guys have them because you want what everyone is trying to build here, a champion. Doubts don't bother me. The insults do. Because frankly, the guy no longer deserves them. We got jobbed or we'd be in the Super Bowl next week. Yeah, I said it. We'd have destroyed Seattle in their house again. They could not pull off that comeback against this team. It took a referee with a bogus rule interpretation to stop your Dallas Cowboys. No one respects that rule any more after how badly they see it can be manipulated to steal away a fantastic performance. Like I said, the only people who believe he did not catch the ball are a couple of referees, some trolls, and idiots. The only thing standing between us and a championship now, is a productive off season and another mountain to climb.

I said it, a Champion. We're capable of it, and wouldn't need to deflate footballs to get there. We're going to insult that? We're going to tolerate insults of that? That's what I don't get.

I am behind Garrett, he did a solid job this year, but I have a hard time forgetting the mistakes he made. If he strings together some seasons like this one (or hopefully better), my memories of his mistakes will fade. It shouldn't be too hard to forget, my wife gripes at me all the time about forgetting stuff.;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I am behind Garrett, he did a solid job this year, but I have a hard time forgetting the mistakes he made. If he strings together some seasons like this one (or hopefully better), my memories of his mistakes will fade. It shouldn't be too hard to forget, my wife gripes at me all the time about forgetting stuff.;)
That's fair in my opinion. I only ask, how long do you hold on to the past? You don't need to answer that. It is rhetorical. Some saw what Garrett was trying to do from the word go and enjoyed that. Some opened up later, some this year. Some still not opened all the way. That's what makes life interesting, that we are all different.

rcaldw

Reaction score
i call the people that wave hands at time management at the end of half Mike Tiricos.

it's one of the few things that a HC does that we know how to quantify so we act like it is the most important thing in the world. Compound that with the emotional circumstances at the end of halves and I can only chuckle at people that act like that is the entirety of what it takes to evaluate a coach.

Tremendous point. Add to this the FACT and it is a FACT that I have seen ALL of the so-called GREAT coaches, make time management mistakes in games. Every single one of them. News bulletin.... there is no perfect coach.

khiladi

Reaction score
Not bothered at all. Amused that 2 men many consider the best coordinators we've had around here in forever, men who it was feared would leave for greener pastures, see the man as a great coach. Amused that players on our team who are respected as smart, see the man as a great coach. Jimmy Johnson, who we all feel is a great coach sees him as a great coach and told him in his interview with him that he was doing better than anyone had who had come along to work for Jerry.

And you cling to your hollow anti-Garrett mantras as if you know better than all of them.

Sorry man, you were always wrong, and a lot of people knew it. You still can't accept it. That's not bothersome, it's funny. In a sad way sure, but funny.

A great coach that got demoted from play-calling.. Fact.. Of course these guys are going to praise the HC of the organization they play for.

You know it, I bother you as is evidenced by your long-winded explanation. Garrett sucked at play calling. That's a fact.

I said they would probably make the play-offs because of change in play calling, even with this crappy defense, probably even winning a game. Fact..

khiladi

Reaction score
How do you explain how good our offense has been ever since JG was OC?

Just talent?

I look around the league at a lot of teams with talent who aren't getting it done. Chicago and Detroit spring to mind.

How do you explain that garrett was benched as play caller?

Our offense was top five with Romo before Garrett came. It was top five was Sparano was running the show. And we had scrubs on OL too. Please don't even compare Cutler to Romo, besides the fact he's been injured often too. And Detroit with Linehan was a top five offense, and was light years better than Garrett ever was in the red zone.

We changed play callers and went 12-4 the only difference being Martin on OL. Our offense was light years better and if it weren't for robbery, we'd probably be playing in the SB right now, because we changed play callers.

Garrett's play calling was holding this team back. That's why Jerry shelled out money for Linehan to stay.

Last edited:

cml750

Reaction score
That's fair in my opinion. I only ask, how long do you hold on to the past? You don't need to answer that. It is rhetorical. Some saw what Garrett was trying to do from the word go and enjoyed that. Some opened up later, some this year. Some still not opened all the way. That's what makes life interesting, that we are all different.

The way I see it, we had a 10 - 6 playoff team the last three years that Garrett's mistakes caused us to be 8 - 8 and miss the playoffs. This year I thought we had an 8-8 team based on losing some players that I thought would go 6 - 10 if Garrett would have made the same game/clock management mistakes he had made in the past . We did much better than I predicted and Garrett did not make the same mistakes he has made. That is progress even if it was slow in coming. I now expect us to do even better and go farther next year.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett got CoY votes. River in Egypt and all that, jeez.

And facts tell us Garrett got stripped of play calling duty and Romo was and is one of the front runners for MVP. That's a fact.

What's your point?

khiladi

Reaction score
Our OL was garbage for years because of Garrett and His desire to have Houck his coach, with power-blocking hefty lineman.

The first year Houck left not a single OL was drafted, Dallas going Claiborne and shelling out money for Carr in free agency. Dallas drafted five Defensive players and two offensive players, both skilled players.

Dallas then switched defensive schemes the next year firing Ryan. They also had Floyd their number one pick and Jerry over-ruled last minute via Marinelli, not Garrett. An they picked Frederik with Wisconsin ties and Callahan. After that they didn't pick a single lineman.

The next year Dallas had three defensive players ahead of Martin, all drafted before him.

The reality is Jerry and Jason were all blaming the defense and not talent on offense. Jerry finally removed Garrett from playcalling duties on offense because he wasn't getting the job done. When Jerry made the switch to Libehan he effectively said it was a problem in utilizing the talent on offense, not a flaw In offensive Personnel itself. You won't find a single statement fromJerry or Jason during these years that they think talent on offense was an issue. Everything was targeted at defense, including the change from Rob Ryan to Kiffen. Garrett flat out said they needed more TOs to give the offense more chances.

These are all facts. You can't spin out of it.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
We changed play callers and went 12-4 the only difference being Martin on OL. Our offense was light years better and if it weren't for robbery, we'd probably be playing in the SB right now, because we changed play callers.

If the only addition had been adding an All-Pro guard....it would be a pretty significant addition.

But it wasn't.

Unless of course you think young players like Smith, Leary and Fredrick didn't improve...because they are young players...and also because they are now playing with an All-pro guard.

Guys like Dez improved. Guys like Beasely improved. Guys like T-williams improved. Escobar and especially Hanna (as a blocker specifically) improved.

Do you think none of this matters?

If you think the only difference in this line was a simple addition of Martin then I can now ignore you as a person with whom I can have reasonable discourse. Such a silly comment on the face (WE ONLY ADDED AN ALL-PRO) and in more depth (ignoring all our other improved players).

khiladi

Reaction score
If the only addition had been adding an All-Pro guard....it would be a pretty significant addition.

But it wasn't.

Unless of course you think young players like Smith, Leary and Fredrick didn't improve...because they are young players...and also because they are now playing with an All-pro guard.

Guys like Dez improved. Guys like Beasely improved. Guys like T-williams improved. Escobar and especially Hanna (as a blocker specifically) improved.

Do you think none of this matters?

If you think the only difference in this line was a simple addition of Martin then I can now ignore you as a person with whom I can have reasonable discourse. Such a silly comment on the face (WE ONLY ADDED AN ALL-PRO) and in more depth (ignoring all our other improved players).

uh, Dez, Smith and Leary were in their minimum at least third season.

They improved in every respect for players that were here for years. It was play calling. It was Callahan's running schemes. It surely wasn't Garrett who effectively was rendered walk around coach, per Jerry's own words.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
uh, Dez, Smith and Leary were in their minimum at least third season.

So wait... You think these guys stopped improving?

Leary was in his 2nd year starting. Dez continues to improve as a route runner and had his finest season.

Smith is as young as all of these guys and just made his first first team All-pro team.

Please stahp.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And facts tell us Garrett got stripped of play calling duty and Romo was and is one of the front runners for MVP. That's a fact.

What's your point?

What facts tell us anything specific regarding who did what? I have read conjecture based on Jerry Jones blather. I have also seen where Jerry contradicts himself. Garrett has been coy the entire time.

We also know that Callahan was stripped of playcalling duties following the Vikings game in 2013. It's speculated that Garrett was again calling plays but it's uncertain. Garrett won't say anything again. I will say that it speaks to the professionalism of both Garrett and Callahan that they functioned as well as they did as a staff. That very easily could have derailed on a personality conflict.

Romo doing well doesn't mean that Garrett doesn't get credit. Garrett's expertise is coaching the QB position. If anything, the better that Romo plays the more credit Garrett should get. Parcells always talked about how you had to stay on Romo to stay away from risky throws.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The way I see it, we had a 10 - 6 playoff team the last three years that Garrett's mistakes caused us to be 8 - 8 and miss the playoffs. This year I thought we had an 8-8 team based on losing some players that I thought would go 6 - 10 if Garrett would have made the same game/clock management mistakes he had made in the past . We did much better than I predicted and Garrett did not make the same mistakes he has made. That is progress even if it was slow in coming. I now expect us to do even better and go farther next year.
Injuries played a huge part of the last 2 years.

khiladi

Reaction score
So wait... You think these guys stopped improving?

Leary was in his 2nd year starting. Dez continues to improve as a route runner and had his finest season.

Smith is as young as all of these guys and just made his first first team All-pro team.

Please stahp.

Did I say they stopped improving? You claimed that the reason the Dallas offense improves so significantly was because of the culmination of a learning curve under Garrett. I said a lot of the guys, particularly the main guys that run this offense were here for years. You can't pull that excuse. They played over seven years in Garretts offense.

Romo went 4-0 in December, had an MVP year and effectively should be playing in the SB of not for robbery. Dallas running game was the best ever because of scheme brought by Callahan, not from Houck whom Garrett brought.

Dez was drafted in 2010. Of course they improved last year, the main reason being Garrett's hands were off the offense. It's why play action went up from bottom in the league to among top and Dez was running the drag route.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
A great coach that got demoted from play-calling.. Fact.. Of course these guys are going to praise the HC of the organization they play for.

You know it, I bother you as is evidenced by your long-winded explanation. Garrett sucked at play calling. That's a fact.

I said they would probably make the play-offs because of change in play calling, even with this crappy defense, probably even winning a game. Fact..
Long winded? 5 lines is long winded?

Short attention span?

khiladi

Reaction score
What facts tell us anything specific regarding who did what? I have read conjecture based on Jerry Jones blather. I have also seen where Jerry contradicts himself. Garrett has been coy the entire time.

We also know that Callahan was stripped of playcalling duties following the Vikings game in 2013. It's speculated that Garrett was again calling plays but it's uncertain. Garrett won't say anything again. I will say that it speaks to the professionalism of both Garrett and Callahan that they functioned as well as they did as a staff. That very easily could have derailed on a personality conflict.

Romo doing well doesn't mean that Garrett doesn't get credit. Garrett's expertise is coaching the QB position. If anything, the better that Romo plays the more credit Garrett should get. Parcells always talked about how you had to stay on Romo to stay away from risky throws.

So basically you have no evidence, but you don't like what Jerry says... Some days you defend Jerry vociferously, next day your telling us he's b.s. And lying.

We also know that Callahan wasn't stripped, but Garrett kept interfering per Jerry's own words. We also know per Stephen, not just Jerry, that Callahan was upset last year and wanted to leave, I.e. Confirming what Jerry said.

We also saw Scott Linehan and Romo in the sidelines this year while Garrett was no longer involved, only clapping and spitting.

Garrett's expertise is a QB coach of Joey Harrington. Romo was a great before Romo even came and played lights out as soon as Scott Linehan can along. Oh yeah and when he signed his new contract, Jerry also said he would now be involved in game planning. It all coincided with Garrett being removed farther from the equation.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Did I say they stopped improving? You claimed that the reason the Dallas offense improves so significantly was because of the culmination of a learning curve under Garrett.

I actually never said this.

I said a lot of the guys, particularly the main guys that run this offense were here for years. You can't pull that excuse. They played over seven years in Garretts offense.

What main guys have been here for 7 years with Garrett? Romo and Witten and?!?

Romo went 4-0 in December, had an MVP year and effectively should be playing in the SB of not for robbery. Dallas running game was the best ever because of scheme brought by Callahan, not from Houck whom Garrett brought.

Romo has always been good in December. Don't hype up that stupid media narrative. Romo had an MVP year because for the first time he had more talent all around him that allowed him to be the "best version of himself." And our running game was the best ever because of the time and talent invested in the offensive line.

Dez was drafted in 2010. Of course they improved last year, the main reason being Garrett's hands were off the offense. It's why play action went up from bottom in the league to among top and Dez was running the drag route.

Play action went up because we had the threat of the run behind the best offensive line in football. When you can't run the ball play action just gets your QB killed as oon as the fake is complete.

Please stahp. You're wrong about almost everything.

khiladi

Reaction score
I actually never said this.

What main guys have been here for 7 years with Garrett? Romo and Witten and?!?

Romo has always been good in December. Don't hype up that stupid media narrative. Romo had an MVP year because for the first time he had more talent all around him that allowed him to be the "best version of himself." And our running game was the best ever because of the time and talent invested in the offensive line.

Play action went up because we had the threat of the run behind the best offensive line in football. When you can't run the ball play action just gets your QB killed as oon as the fake is complete.

Please stahp. You're wrong about almost everything.

Lol.. You mean we were last in play action to the point we would run it only one or two times a game, because of no threat of a running game.

On what planet does play action get a QB killed? You think pass blocking in empty sets without an extra blocker provided by a RB is less susceptible to being hit than when running play action?

Can you explain why Romo has been getting killed under Garrett via pass blocking that Dallas would essentially be threatened to try play action? Even now, romo was sacked over thirty plus times in a game. That didn't stop Linehan from calling play action.

Man, this is laughable. I think you need to stop.

Hell, if you followed history, garrett has always been criticized for abandoning the run, even when running well. Felix Jones had plenty of stretches of running the ball, garrett abandoning it. He never ran play action during those stretches.

And you obviously missed the point regarding our players. Hanna was here for three years. Leary three years, Amith four years. Romo over seven years. Witten over ten years. Dez was here since 2010. The dramatic improvement was this year and last year was play calling.