Our defense needs a game wrecker inside

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
The defense has had so many holes...it's hard to address everything. They needed CBs so they had to draft Diggs and were looking at Surtain/Horn. When those two prospects were gone, they took the best defensive player available in Parsons, who has provided them with a playmaker in the front seven. They probably still need another LB and safety next year.

Osa has potential, give him some more time to get stronger and develop and he could be really good. His rookie stats are comparable to Chris Jones' rookie year so far

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
We saw a few weeks ago how 1 interior defensive player can dominate and literally wreck a game with Chris Jones. When you look at all the NFC projected projected top playoff teams, they all have such a player:

GB-Kenny Clark
TB-Vita Vea
ARZ-Watt*
LAR-Donald

All we have is a bunch of mid level upside prospects in Gallimore, Osa and Hill. None of them project to become elite, game wrecker types.

Finding such a player isn't easy as they don't grow on trees, but in my opinion, is the missing piece to our defense.
Been asking for one for about 10 years now - that and a FS - those positions seem to be the unicorns of the D.

And yes both positions are probably the 2 hardest to get in football.

BermyStar

Reaction score
No mention of Javon Hargrave? Watch film...he is what Fletcher Cox was. Cox recovered that ball in the end zone that got away from Dak....but guess who knocked it out...yupp

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Barmore was in this last draft , NE got him , don’t remember which round , may be in 2.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Been saying this for years, who was the last game wrecker they had inside, La Roi Glover?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We saw a few weeks ago how 1 interior defensive player can dominate and literally wreck a game with Chris Jones. When you look at all the NFC projected projected top playoff teams, they all have such a player:

GB-Kenny Clark
TB-Vita Vea
ARZ-Watt*
LAR-Donald

All we have is a bunch of mid level upside prospects in Gallimore, Osa and Hill. None of them project to become elite, game wrecker types.

Finding such a player isn't easy as they don't grow on trees, but in my opinion, is the missing piece to our defense.
Maybe we can draft a first round stud defensive tackle in the next draft but we have other issues that we need to resolve as well. You can’t have stud at every position. Parsons has made us better at two issues by himself (linebacker/defensive end). Maybe there is a stud tackle that can shake up the 1 and 5 technique.

perrykemp

Reaction score
GB-Kenny Clark
TB-Vita Vea
ARZ-Watt*
LAR-Donald

All those guys were 1st round picks.

As another poster said, game changing interior defensive lineman don't grow on trees -- I'd argue they are the hardest find in the NFL other than franchise QB. You have to be willing to invest draft capital into getting them, typically.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Been saying this for years, who was the last game wrecker they had inside, La Roi Glover?

Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher were the last two truly productive DTs I remember playing for the Cowboys.

Ratliff took his crazy to Chicago and got crazier. Hatcher leveraged his only year (or two) as a starter into getting PAID by Washington.

EDIT - Corrected to Jason Hatcher lol

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I was yelling for him. I definitely wanted him just off his measurables alone...

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
Chris Jones is a monster. I didn't see how he could possibly be a bust.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

GB-Kenny Clark
TB-Vita Vea
ARZ-Watt*
LAR-Donald

Been asking for a defensive tackles since the patriots drafted Wilfork

Thomas82

Reaction score
I could not agree more. The Cowboys have missed that player for years. It is a little early for the draft. But there are a couple of players that could fall to Dallas depending on where they draft. Usually game changing DTs do not last into the 20s though. I have my eye on Jordan Davis of Georgia. He is big, strong and an immovable force. I don't know that he has much of a pass rush but he can demand a double team. It will be good to watch him in the Alabama Georgia game.

With Jordan Davis already being 26 yearsold (27 by draft day), I wouldn't go that route, unless he's still there in one of the later rounds.