Our defense needs a game wrecker inside

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We saw a few weeks ago how 1 interior defensive player can dominate and literally wreck a game with Chris Jones. When you look at all the NFC projected projected top playoff teams, they all have such a player:

GB-Kenny Clark
TB-Vita Vea
ARZ-Watt*
LAR-Donald

All we have is a bunch of mid level upside prospects in Gallimore, Osa and Hill. None of them project to become elite, game wrecker types.

Finding such a player isn't easy as they don't grow on trees, but in my opinion, is the missing piece to our defense.

Problem is you all hype them up too much, all you have to do is watch the teams we play against! They have the real stars

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I could not agree more. The Cowboys have missed that player for years. It is a little early for the draft. But there are a couple of players that could fall to Dallas depending on where they draft. Usually game changing DTs do not last into the 20s though. I have my eye on Jordan Davis of Georgia. He is big, strong and an immovable force. I don't know that he has much of a pass rush but he can demand a double team. It will be good to watch him in the Alabama Georgia game.
Winfrey.....Oklahoma.....he's got Cowboys written all over him.

Zman5

Reaction score
We haven't drafted well on defense overall during the Garrett years. Not just DTs or Safeties. That's why our defense has sucked for so long.
It's gotten better past two years so there is hope.

Creeper

Reaction score
With Jordan Davis already being 26 yearsold (27 by draft day), I wouldn't go that route, unless he's still there in one of the later rounds.

I didn't realize he was that old. I knew he was older but I assumed 23 or 24.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
We saw a few weeks ago how 1 interior defensive player can dominate and literally wreck a game with Chris Jones. When you look at all the NFC projected projected top playoff teams, they all have such a player:

GB-Kenny Clark
TB-Vita Vea
ARZ-Watt*
LAR-Donald

All we have is a bunch of mid level upside prospects in Gallimore, Osa and Hill. None of them project to become elite, game wrecker types.

Finding such a player isn't easy as they don't grow on trees, but in my opinion, is the missing piece to our defense.

Thank you!! We need a game wrecker like Micah Parsons at 1 T. I'm NOT saying out Parsons there. I'm just saying someone with his attacking ability and mindset.

visionary

Reaction score
Micah Parsons and Trevon Diggs aren't elite?? What about CeeDee Lamb? Dak Prescott maybe? One could even say that Randy Gregory is now elite when healthy...

I’ll give you Parsons

CeeDee is not elite yet. He disappears when Cooper is not there. He will hopefully get there but but there yet.

Dak, Gregory LOL. When I say elite, I don’t mean good.

Mr_437

Reaction score
The first quarter of games Osa was in JJWatt, Aaron Donald territory stats wise, which, was excellent for a Rookie. Needless to say, Osa hit that wall and slide down. Cowboys have three 3Techs, so find a wrecker at NT is the play they need to make. I'm big on protecting the LBs with stout big boys.

We'll see over the next 2 months that the run game is still very important, even tho many believe DTs aren't of high value claiming the NFL is a passing league.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

GB-Kenny Clark
TB-Vita Vea
ARZ-Watt*
LAR-Donald

Too bad he is playing DT at Georgia right now....6'6 340lbs game wrecker who the NFL will be salivating over. Jordan Davis.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Too bad he is playing DT at Georgia right now....6'6 340lbs game wrecker who the NFL will be salivating over. Jordan Davis.
We need a player who is more of an elite interior rusher then an 2 down run player which I think Davis will be on the next level.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Thank you!! We need a game wrecker like Micah Parsons at 1 T. I'm NOT saying out Parsons there. I'm just saying someone with his attacking ability and mindset.
We need an interior player who demand double teams and still can get after the QB. I'm thinking more of an elite 3T then a NT, unless he is similar to Vea or a Clark who can play anywhere.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
All those guys were 1st round picks.

As another poster said, game changing interior defensive lineman don't grow on trees -- I'd argue they are the hardest find in the NFL other than franchise QB. You have to be willing to invest draft capital into getting them, typically.
Some do fall through the cracks, Grady Jarrett is a good example.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Maybe we can draft a first round stud defensive tackle in the next draft but we have other issues that we need to resolve as well. You can’t have stud at every position. Parsons has made us better at two issues by himself (linebacker/defensive end). Maybe there is a stud tackle that can shake up the 1 and 5 technique.

I would say an interior DL is still a big need, along with Free Safety, two down run LB and maybe another starting corner. Now if you find a stud in the middle, coverage becomes much easier.