Our front office’s way of thinking compared to rest of the NFL

KB1122

Reaction score
You missed the big one. We'll go undertalented at quarterback and surround him with first round picks to elevate his play.

ShortRound

Reaction score
The Jone's plans visualized, then deal with the fallout.

1e6rjIw.gif

I honestly don't think they have a solid 3-5 year plan. It's strictly reactive, not proactive.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Jone's plans visualized, then deal with the fallout.

1e6rjIw.gif

I honestly don't think they have a solid 3-5 year plan. It's strictly reactive, not proactive.
We have 26 years of receipts to back this up. The plan is sell, sell, sell their product and hope. But as we all know hope and luck are not effective championship strategies.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboy plan is really media heavy. They feed the media info. Publicity keeps fans interested. Fans feed on team news no matter how small the morsel. It does not even have to be accurate news. Just any news. Feed the media and the media will in turn feed the fans.

Coupled with that is the love of attention that Jones & Son have. They love seeing their names in print. They love being on radio and TV. They love the media and therefore share anything and everything that is on their minds AND anything that may transpire with the club business wise.

Running any business (sports or otherwise) through the media is not wise. Your competitors always have a "read" on what you are thinking about doing. It gives your competition a real advantage. "Loose lips sinks ships." Loose lips from management also lead to big trouble in your business.
Very true. Well said.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All speculation on how all teams are run in comparison of each other.
Any one one here ever work in a sports organization FO?

I didn’t think so.
:popcorn:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I didn’t think so.
You don’t have to work in a front office to know the ones that are working and aren’t working. You don’t have to be a movie producer to know a good film when you see it.

Mannix

Reaction score
Anyone know when Booger and/or Chuckles are going to talk to the press? There better not be any softballs thrown, and there needs to be followup questions to the BS that is gonna flow.

Motorola

Reaction score
Anyone know when Booger and/or Chuckles are going to talk to the press? There better not be any softballs thrown, and there needs to be followup questions to the BS that is gonna flow.
Did they do a presser last year during free agency? I don’t recall.
Of course there was one when they inked the deal with Prescott.

kskboys

Reaction score
Won't make us Cowboys fans feel any better - but the franchise is far from alone in wallowing in ineptness over a long period of time.
There's about another half- dozen teams that are buried at the bottom or can't even climb the ladder to decent success.
But as the Cincinnati Bengals proved this past season... the rise to top can come out of the blue and happen quickly.
W/ a Defensive team built around the DL, yes.

Aven8

Reaction score
Only thing I can say is they both remind me of college football boosters. They probably do this same stuff at Arkansas except they don’t make all the decisions

kskboys

Reaction score

I didn’t think so.
So, you did work examining business models so you know what to tell people to think?

snapper

Reaction score
As Cowboys watch our front office clumsily go through another off season, it’s worth noting how our GM and son think compared to the rest of the league’s front office execs.

Here’s how the best NFL FO’s approach every season:
  • They have a plan starting with what kind of team they want to be with the end result being winning a SB.
  • The plan is strategic, focusing foremost on making their team competitive NOW.
  • They think of how to put a complete roster together that is complementary of what they are trying to be. In other words, players are brought in that fit together like a puzzle.
  • The GM has a clear plan, a strong work ethic, and delegates his authority around that plan.
Here’s how the Cowboys front office approaches every season:
  • First and foremost, we must be able to sell our product.
  • Let’s get a bunch of guys together that we can market as “stars”. Stars sell. (Essentially this is a fantasy football approach)
  • Our plan is to pay “our guys we drafted and we like most” (our stars) big money and go cheap in FA.
  • It would really be cool if we could win a Super Bowl.
  • Playing football big shot is fun.
The main difference here is simple: the winning owners of the last 26 SBs all recognize if winning a championship is the real goal, then finding a talented football man as GM is paramount. Then letting that guy hire the HC and develop a plan to win and holding them alll accountable for results is THE way to go.

When your owner doesn’t want to get it, Lady Luck is our only hope.

How the Cowboys front office approaches every season:

200.gif

Wolfpack

Reaction score
They like to pay their own players because it self-validates. Jerry and Son are both ego driven beyond anything.

I have NFL agents as clients and they say both of them are arrogant as you can be but dumb as rocks.

Motorola

Reaction score
Only thing I can say is they both remind me of college football boosters. They probably do this same stuff at Arkansas except they don’t make all the decisions
One would assume the Joneses are still the biggest Razorbacks boosters - although some alumni in the IT realm, financial world, or other enterprise could have amassed fortunes and are able to contribute funds that are on par with them.

plymkr

Reaction score
After 25 plus years you would think the law of averages would start to be a factor so maybe there is a glimmer of hope after all
Exactly. I completely agree with this. When Lady Luck, karma, football gods blessed us we still screwed it up. That's how bad our FO is. Like them or not Romo and Prescott can win in this league and Jerry got them for basically for free. 2 franchise QB dropped right in your lap. They didn't make the most of it. When Jerry forced TO down Parcells throat and then traded for Williams and it all blew up on him, Miles Austin bailed him out. Jay Ratliff was a 7th or 6th rounder. My point is we've gotten very lucky with some draft picks and UFAs and we didn't capitalize. Just off the top of my head:
Romo, UFA
Ratliff, late round pick
Austin, UFA
Murray's, 3rd rounder
Free, 4th rounder
Witten, 3rd rounder

I could google more or think of more but I'm tired. My point is we were blessed by good luck with pro bowl players either free or not picked in the 1st and 2nd round. Any good GM could take that foundation and put in the puzzle pieces and be successful. We've had more than our share of good luck but Jerry can't get out of his own way.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Fear of failure is a great motivator. There is no fear of failure for Jerry and Stephen. The money rolls in and no one is going to fire them.

They don't do anything that makes them uncomfortable. They keep their guys and hope to win, but if not they can just run it back next year.
No accountability for the owner and GM, No accountability for the team.It all just trickles down from Jerruh.

Brax

Reaction score
They like to pay their own players because it self-validates. Jerry and Son are both ego driven beyond anything.

I have NFL agents as clients and they say both of them are arrogant as you can be but dumb as rocks.
self-validates, that's the big one with Jerry, he's still trying to prove his football genius.

John813

Reaction score
We had 3 years where Dak was the unquestioned starter playing on peanuts level salary. They did nothing extra to try to win now with a QB on a dirt cheap deal.
Except circle J each other on how well they drafted and talk about how much pie is left for each player.
Crazy how bad most of their extensions look bad so soon into the deals.
Outside of the elite, HOF level offensive linemen they were gifted, they really can't evaluate talent when it comes to new deals.