Our front office’s way of thinking compared to rest of the NFL

Big_D

Reaction score
Lady Luck won’t be coming to save this team! The owner is a POS!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
i just remember to read about jerry and switzer yelling about how they did it "OUR WAY!!!!!" and it just sum it all up

jerry and now stephen and their ego even though u think after all this time they would know "THEIR WAY" does not work

the good thing is cowboys fan finally catching up to their NONSENSE after almost 30 years....better late then never i guess!
Many of us have been calling it for years and some for decades.

Once the new stadium was built it definitely enabled their priority with revenue even more but the fans ultimately still hold the power to hurt our ownership where it matters the most.

It’s why Jethro stays in the forefront trying to effect public perception . Like with his Super Bowl or Bust rhetoric last year , he continues pleading to the fans attempting to build the hype promoting his product as fan apathy is a concern.

Unfortunately our dysfunctional ownership continues winning despite the teams disappointing results.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Exactly. I completely agree with this. When Lady Luck, karma, football gods blessed us we still screwed it up. That's how bad our FO is. Like them or not Romo and Prescott can win in this league and Jerry got them for basically for free. 2 franchise QB dropped right in your lap. They didn't make the most of it. When Jerry forced TO down Parcells throat and then traded for Williams and it all blew up on him, Miles Austin bailed him out. Jay Ratliff was a 7th or 6th rounder. My point is we've gotten very lucky with some draft picks and UFAs and we didn't capitalize. Just off the top of my head:
Romo, UFA
Ratliff, late round pick
Austin, UFA
Murray's, 3rd rounder
Free, 4th rounder
Witten, 3rd rounder

I could google more or think of more but I'm tired. My point is we were blessed by good luck with pro bowl players either free or not picked in the 1st and 2nd round. Any good GM could take that foundation and put in the puzzle pieces and be successful. We've had more than our share of good luck but Jerry can't get out of his own way.

Leon Lett, Tony Casillas, James Washington, Kenny the shark Gant Jimmy knew how to bolster the D, special teams , and then build an O that could grind a game to get a W in big games

we have gone small in most big games in the last 25 years.

romos wade Phillips team a prime example

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it is just plain old incompetence with the Cowboys.
I can’t think of another NFL organization more deluded and dysfunctional. Even the bengals and their Mike Brown foolishness have won a conference championship lately. Instead of self reflection and changes, the Jones boys will double down because they are bulletproof.

kskboys

Reaction score
We had 3 years where Dak was the unquestioned starter playing on peanuts level salary. They did nothing extra to try to win now with a QB on a dirt cheap deal.
Except circle J each other on how well they drafted and talk about how much pie is left for each player.
Crazy how bad most of their extensions look bad so soon into the deals.
Outside of the elite, HOF level offensive linemen they were gifted, they really can't evaluate talent when it comes to new deals.
Nothing? They traded high picks for a WR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandyf

Reaction score
As Cowboys watch our front office clumsily go through another off season, it’s worth noting how our GM and son think compared to the rest of the league’s front office execs.

Here’s how the best NFL FO’s approach every season:
  • They have a plan starting with what kind of team they want to be with the end result being winning a SB.
  • The plan is strategic, focusing foremost on making their team competitive NOW.
  • They think of how to put a complete roster together that is complementary of what they are trying to be. In other words, players are brought in that fit together like a puzzle.
  • The GM has a clear plan, a strong work ethic, and delegates his authority around that plan.
Here’s how the Cowboys front office approaches every season:
  • First and foremost, we must be able to sell our product.
  • Let’s get a bunch of guys together that we can market as “stars”. Stars sell. (Essentially this is a fantasy football approach)
  • Our plan is to pay “our guys we drafted and we like most” (our stars) big money and go cheap in FA.
  • It would really be cool if we could win a Super Bowl.
  • Playing football big shot is fun.
The main difference here is simple: the winning owners of the last 26 SBs all recognize if winning a championship is the real goal, then finding a talented football man as GM is paramount. Then letting that guy hire the HC and develop a plan to win and holding them alll accountable for results is THE way to go.

When your owner doesn’t want to get it, Lady Luck is our only hope.
Very good points and a lot of truth to the fact that Dallas is the most hated club but also the team worth the most of any sports team in the world. Yes, Jerry is a great business man and apparently Stephen is of the same line. Even when we have a terrible season, they sell more merchandise than any team and remain in the headlines as if they won the Super Bowl the year before but yet also look at the success of the players who played in Dallas for years or heck even a few years because they are some of the most success business guys after football also.

May be subjective but two of the best announcers with the two highest paid contracts happen to be two former Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks with a total of 3 Super Bowls between them. Amazing. You are correct in that Jerry believes being a great business man translate into being a great GM and it doesn't. Never has and never will but he owns the team and well in my business experience if the owner says do it this way, right or wrong, you do it regardless.

Have they had success doing it their way, yes they have, although not anywhere near what the fans expect. Are they better over the last 10 years, yes, they have been getting better for the most part although they do it slowly, very slowly.

Most of the problem has always been free agency in where they rarely if ever go after a big name. It is frustrating but in retrospect what are the percentages of signing big time free agents or even trading for them really paid off. The Raiders just mortgage their draft to trade for Davante Adams and gave him almost $30 million a year, wonder if the fans would love that here for a guy that probably only touches the ball 8 times a game and will average maybe 1 TD a game. Did they have to do, well you could say absolute because the AFC West is going to be nothing but a dog fight and if any team in the West has more than 3 West division wins it will be a very successful year.

But what about those Cowboys. Hard to say until we get through the next two weeks if we really have regressed at least on the surface. I suspect we will either resign a Kearse or if he goes elsewhere then maybe Kazee or maybe Deshon Elliot could be a target. Probably sign a OG and OT next week and possibly a WR but I guess there is still some hope we get a decent DE and LB and until Wagner signs elsewhere and Smith (or maybe a trade for Hunter) goes somewhere then we will wish then get upset they didn't sign them.

The draft is where we probably should pin our hopes just like the last 4 years as seems like with McClay we at least get a couple of guys that really pan out and no team can hope for more than that because the odds that all your draft picks make an impact is just never going to happen. We forget how we were upset last year that we did nothing in free agency or at least we believed so and that the draft was taking leftovers mainly. Parsons was on very few minds and heck we even traded down a couple of spots and still got him so yes luck does play a part in everything. No expert and most fans thought at best we would be a .500 club or slightly below or slightly above last year and no shot at the playoffs. Heck no one picked us to be anything but 3rd in the division yet we won the division and made the playoffs and laid an egg.

What will happen this year? Who knows! Willing to wait until free agency pans out because to me if and it is a BIG IF, we do sign Bobby Wagner LB, Za'Darius Smith DE (or acquire Danielle Hunter in a trade or get Jadeveon Clowney DE), resign Jayron Kearse S, and maybe sign JC Tretter OC, JuJu Smith-Schuster WR, Will Hernandez LG, maybe a Kyzir White LB if no Wagner, Riley Reiff OT as a backup OT, or Dante Fowler, Jr. DE if only option. Those last six/seven would be one year deals and probably low cost like the guys last year. Would we be better, hard to say but I would say no worse than we thought last year going into the draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, you were claiming that if you don't work in a sports org you have no right to an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not claim that.
I asked if anyone ever worked with one.

No one answered of course.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All speculation on how all teams are run in comparison of each other.
Any one one here ever work in a sports organization FO?

I didn’t think so.
:popcorn:
Do you need to work in a restaurant to know the product or service doesn’t measure up to its competitors?

How about an auto mechanic . Do you need to know how to repair a car to know yours needs work or wasn’t repaired properly ?

We can make observations or comparisons to other organizations based on the products they deliver, their actions taken and from their results without having direct experience in how they operate.

If you want to applaud the Cowboys organization in comparison to the rest of the leagues more accomplished organizations then be prepared to take on some crossfire. All I’m seeing from your post is simply wanting to discredit other fans because you don’t like the message.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
So true and from an even bigger picture perspective:
I forgot which poster had made the past comment about how dearly those 3 Super Bowls cost the future of the Dallas Cowboys but he was right.

The sacrifice of those 3 trophies now seems an okay price to have given up in order to ensure more positive tomorrow's.

As you and others have said and I agree, I think unless this team is sold then it's very unlikely things will ever change.

jmo

cristglo

Reaction score
As Cowboys watch our front office clumsily go through another off season, it’s worth noting how our GM and son think compared to the rest of the league’s front office execs.

• They have a plan starting with what kind of team they want to be with the end result being winning a SB.
  • The plan is strategic, focusing foremost on making their team competitive NOW.
  • They think of how to put a complete roster together that is complementary of what they are trying to be. In other words, players are brought in that fit together like a puzzle.
  • The GM has a clear plan, a strong work ethic, and delegates his authority around that plan.
  • Let’s get a bunch of guys together that we can market as “stars”. Stars sell. (Essentially this is a fantasy football approach)
  • Our plan is to pay “our guys we drafted and we like most” (our stars) big money and go cheap in FA.
The main difference here is simple: the winning owners of the last 26 SBs all recognize if winning a championship is the real goal, then finding a talented football man as GM is paramount. Then letting that guy hire the HC and develop a plan to win and holding them alll accountable for results is THE way to go.

What happened to Jerry? When he first bought this team he opened his wallet yes there was no cap. According to a bleacher report Jerry Quote "There are a lot of people with Money but not with the passion to really go spend it " We've seen Jerry open his ck book and well making some ba contracts but he was going to try. Since his son has taken over its like its more about the money than it is about winning a SB . Meanwhile we as Fans suffer.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you need to work in a restaurant to know the product or service doesn’t measure up to its competitors?

How about an auto mechanic . Do you need to know how to repair a car to know yours needs work or wasn’t repaired properly ?

We can make observations or comparisons to other organizations based on the products they deliver, their actions taken and from their results without having direct experience in how they operate.

If you want to applaud the Cowboys organization in comparison to the rest of the leagues more accomplished organizations then be prepared to take on some crossfire. All I’m seeing from your post is simply wanting to discredit other fans because you don’t like the message.

BS, read what you want into it.
I am not applauding the FO by any means. They make far too many mistakes over good decisions.
I asked a question, and apparently the answer is NO.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

and I can name you about 15 teams at least that have done what you said. Hired a "Real Football," man to be GM. Let him hire the HC and develop a plan. and yada yada yada.... then after about 3-4 years, fire everyone and repeat that winning formula all over again. A few of them hit the jackpot at QB, and then all the other moves just seem to look so much better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What happened to Jerry? When he first bought this team he opened his wallet yes there was no cap. According to a bleacher report Jerry Quote "There are a lot of people with Money but not with the passion to really go spend it " We've seen Jerry open his ck book and well making some ba contracts but he was going to try. Since his son has taken over its like its more about the money than it is about winning a SB . Meanwhile we as Fans suffer.
Looks like he only likes opening his wallet to his guys . He certainly wasn’t shy or cheap when it came to our stars. He just doesn’t like going out
So true and from an even bigger picture perspective:
I forgot which poster had made the past comment about how dearly those 3 Super Bowls cost the future of the Dallas Cowboys but he was right.

The sacrifice of those 3 trophies now seems an okay price to have given up in order to ensure more positive tomorrow's.

As you and others have said and I agree, I think unless this team is sold then it's very unlikely things will ever change.

jmo
Im not sure it needs to be sold although I would welcome. We just need Jethro to step down and then let his heirs hire in a normal NFL front office letting them run football operations .

The Jone$ might could be a good ownership if they weren’t directly involved in football operations. Follow the models of the more successful franchises this era.

kskboys

Reaction score
BS, read what you want into it.
I am not applauding the FO by any means. They make far too many mistakes over good decisions.
I asked a question, and apparently the answer is NO.
The question pointed toward you asking if anyone really had the right to question. If you did not mean it that way, say so, because that is what it sounded like!!!

I apologize if that's not what you meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cowboys22

Reaction score

Burned by too many bad contracts. In business, you usually get what you pay for and you have recourse if you don't. With sports contracts, there isn't much you can do when you are paying a guy millions and he stops putting in the effort needed to maintain his level of play. You just have to bear it until you can get out of the deal. I think too many bad free agent deals have just made them hesitant to give someone big money who hasn't done something in a Dallas uniform. If you have had past success with a star on you're helmet then I guess they can stomach overpaying you for a while. Not a recipe that leads to success. You should be paying for current and future strong play not what you did for us in the past.