Our front office’s way of thinking compared to rest of the NFL

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's see, two non-football guys in charge. The top one refuses to watch tape of possible draftees and falls for every bit of spew that comes out.

No, Reid, the chances of this working are pretty much nil. Only way it'll work is if Jerry backs of and lets someone else implement a coherent plan. Which would mean that their way didn't work and they finally decided to try something else.
But but but… Jethro was a 190 pound lineman in an all white SWC for 1964 nat’l champs . Lol

And he thought he deserved more credit for championships Jimmy built.

He thinks he’s a football guy. Some fans even think he is. They’ve argued this crap for decades. And some even in this thread believe in him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing that separates them from the others is they do not have to think about "how do we make more money, get more viewers and grow in value?" It is just automatic.

I really don't think some people fully realize just how different that is. But if you have ever been in any position of responsibility for the growth of your business and knew there would be no possible downside to your decisions, everything works out great regardless of what you do, that just doesn't exist for 99.99% of people.

How much longer do you think people are going to keep rewarding that family for the lack of true accomplishment? Did you think that would last this long?

And do you get it? Because I do not. History and laundry for me but I'll be damned if I would go out of my way to watch this if not for that. Is it like watching auto racing for the wrecks? I really do not get America's fascination with this team and especially with that family in charge. Brown shoes at the formal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But but but… Jethro was a 190 pound lineman in an all white SWC for 1964 nat’l champs . Lol

He thinks he’s a football guy. Some fans even think he is. They’ve argued this crap for decades. And some even in this thread believe in him.
And those fans don't know squat about that team, I lived it.

They set the record for D scoring and had 5 shut outs and it was Jimmy's side of the ball with all the stars. It was worse than the 00 Ravens with the imbalance of offense to defense and that defense, at that time, was just as good on the college level.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
As Cowboys watch our front office clumsily go through another off season, it’s worth noting how our GM and son think compared to the rest of the league’s front office execs.

Here’s how the best NFL FO’s approach every season:
  • They have a plan starting with what kind of team they want to be with the end result being winning a SB.
  • The plan is strategic, focusing foremost on making their team competitive NOW.
  • They think of how to put a complete roster together that is complementary of what they are trying to be. In other words, players are brought in that fit together like a puzzle.
  • The GM has a clear plan, a strong work ethic, and delegates his authority around that plan.
Here’s how the Cowboys front office approaches every season:
  • First and foremost, we must be able to sell our product.
  • Let’s get a bunch of guys together that we can market as “stars”. Stars sell. (Essentially this is a fantasy football approach)
  • Our plan is to pay “our guys we drafted and we like most” (our stars) big money and go cheap in FA.
  • It would really be cool if we could win a Super Bowl.
  • Playing football big shot is fun.
The main difference here is simple: the winning owners of the last 26 SBs all recognize if winning a championship is the real goal, then finding a talented football man as GM is paramount. Then letting that guy hire the HC and develop a plan to win and holding them alll accountable for results is THE way to go.

When your owner doesn’t want to get it, Lady Luck is our only hope.
You are giving to much credit that Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and Stephen "Daddy's Personnel Man" have a plan, and actually think NFL Football.

They have been all over the place. Signing Leroi Glover or Deion Sanders to resigning 2 one legged LBs (Lee, Smith), and TEs that never/barely started or went to a Pro Bowl.

No plan, No hope, No way, and No Dallas Cowboys only Arlington Jonesboys football stupidity for 26 years and counting. You are what you are, and what you are not.

75boyz

Reaction score

My brain almost does a freeze when the Jerry Defense team says Jerry is just as responsible for the 90s success "because he hired his college team mate."

I mean I think I'd rather they just pursue the financial angle from business collaborations and refer to Jerry as the Silent Partner or financier of the project.

Jimmy was the author, engineer and architect of the whole thing.

It's irrefutable to most knowledgeable football minds.

To the others...

To each his own I guess.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One thing that separates them from the others is they do not have to think about "how do we make more money, get more viewers and grow in value?" It is just automatic.

I really don't think some people fully realize just how different that is. But if you have ever been in any position of responsibility for the growth of your business and knew there would be no possible downside to your decisions, everything works out great regardless of what you do, that just doesn't exist for 99.99% of people.

How much longer do you think people are going to keep rewarding that family for the lack of true accomplishment? Did you think that would last this long?

And do you get it? Because I do not. History and laundry for me but I'll be damned if I would go out of my way to watch this if not for that. Is it like watching auto racing for the wrecks? I really do not get America's fascination with this team and especially with that family in charge. Brown shoes at the formal.
I beg to differ here on one point while you are spot on with most of your criticism and point of view as usual.

Jethro does have something to do with the revenue continuing without more success on the field. He’s out there front and center promoting his brand and hyping. We have a large segment of fans who buy in to the we like our guys we have enough talent and SB or Bust mantra.

Many on this forum as well bought into last year. Even those who normally are more grounded. But Jethro appeases to a segment who want to believe following the more eternal optimistic outlook.

All it takes to fuel it is a 6-1 or 3-0 start. Throw in some popular name stars most fans become loyal to and or support and the basis is there for Jethro to optimize his bait and switch to draw them in.

So, to say we generate all of this without any effort or it’s automatic isn’t totally accurate. Unfortunately most of his energy isn’t on the football side of it. Much like all of his efforts he’s made in locking in all of the revenue mechanisms.

He’s made a ton of effort on those fronts which are paying huge dividends. Which has enabled him to continue his football way passions without more success on the field.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
My brain almost does a freeze when the Jerry Defense team says Jerry is just as responsible for the 90s success "because he hired his college team mate."

I mean I think I'd rather they just pursue the financial angle from business collaborations and refer to Jerry as the Silent Partner or financier of the project.

To the others...

To each his own I guess.
I’m not sure if they all buy in or just defend anything under the Star. But there is a segment of fans who do defend him. Whether it’s with the departure of Jimmy or everything that’s transpired since.

This is why Jethro continues being front and center. It’s his greatest attribute promoting and selling a faulty product. Not many other promoters I’d compare except for Vince McMahon and Don King.

Hype is a powerful force. Just look how hype is used by the media to draw fans in . It works. And no one works it more than Jethro. If only he’d invest as much time and effort to football operations .

Diehardblues

Reaction score

To the others...

To each his own I guess.
Jethro deserved credit for not only bringing Jimmy in but providing him all of the tools and trades. Basically a stamp of approval .

But unfortunately that wasn’t enough. He couldn’t stand Jimmy received all of the credit and became the face of his franchise .

It wasn’t enough to just be a successful owner. It was always his dream to be a football guy. Much like Head Coaches are. That’s obviously more important to him that winning.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
As Cowboys watch our front office clumsily go through another off season, it’s worth noting how our GM and son think compared to the rest of the league’s front office execs.

Here’s how the best NFL FO’s approach every season:
  • They have a plan starting with what kind of team they want to be with the end result being winning a SB.
  • The plan is strategic, focusing foremost on making their team competitive NOW.
  • They think of how to put a complete roster together that is complementary of what they are trying to be. In other words, players are brought in that fit together like a puzzle.
  • The GM has a clear plan, a strong work ethic, and delegates his authority around that plan.
Here’s how the Cowboys front office approaches every season:
  • First and foremost, we must be able to sell our product.
  • Let’s get a bunch of guys together that we can market as “stars”. Stars sell. (Essentially this is a fantasy football approach)
  • Our plan is to pay “our guys we drafted and we like most” (our stars) big money and go cheap in FA.
  • It would really be cool if we could win a Super Bowl.
  • Playing football big shot is fun.
The main difference here is simple: the winning owners of the last 26 SBs all recognize if winning a championship is the real goal, then finding a talented football man as GM is paramount. Then letting that guy hire the HC and develop a plan to win and holding them alll accountable for results is THE way to go.

When your owner doesn’t want to get it, Lady Luck is our only hope.

Here is Dallas strategy:

There are simply too many holes they will need to fill on their roster and they only had $3 million and a single top-50 draft pick to do so with.

Once teams get outside those top 50 picks, getting an immediate starter is a question mark. So what could Dallas do? To create a lot of room, moving on from Amari Cooper, La’el Collins and DeMarcus Lawrence has to be considered.

A combination of restructuring those deals could have created some of the room releases or trades do, but not without significantly hampering Dallas’ ability to have cap space in 2023 as Trevon Diggs, CeeDee Lamb are eligible for extensions. Or 2024 when they’ll have to make Micah Parsons the highest paid non-QB in the league.

kskboys

Reaction score

I know quite a few people who played sports at a higher level than I did, and I am more knowledgeable than every one of them. Playing sports and knowing sports are two entirely different skillsets.

Funny thing is, in many many cases the players have proven this beyond any doubt, so you gotta either be ignoring facts or entirely ignorant of them to believe playing a sport makes you capable of being a GM.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I know quite a few people who played sports at a higher level than I did, and I am more knowledgeable than every one of them. Playing sports and knowing sports are two entirely different skillsets.

Funny thing is, in many many cases the players have proven this beyond any doubt, so you gotta either be ignoring facts or entirely ignorant of them to believe playing a sport makes you capable of being a GM.

But let's be honest. Most fans probably never made it out of high school football, and use years of Madden as their further training.

Not defending Jerry, but it is funny sometimes reading all the critiques when Jerry with his 30 years in the NFL already has a ton more experience than everyone on this board, even if he has flunked the Playoff Test since Jimmy's talent left.

I try not to take it too serious. It's just fun to rant about, watch, study and analyze. Sports, politics, all the same....

There are definitely moves in the NFL that are easy to second guess, but I feel like an NFL team run by a typical fan would most likely resemble that classic Simpsons episode where Homer as the Everyman invents his own car and drives the company out of business, after he meets his long-lost brother who is CEO of a major auto company.

250px-The_Homer.png

P.S. But to be fair, I'm also reminded of that famous quote by Steve Jobs where he said he had an epiphany when he realized in corporate conferences that no one was the smartest person in the room and everyone was just putting out their version of BS.

kskboys

Reaction score
But let's be honest. Most fans probably never made it out of high school football, and use years of Madden as their further training.

Not defending Jerry, but it is funny sometimes reading all the critiques when Jerry with his 30 years in the NFL already has a ton more experience than everyone on this board, even if he has flunked the Playoff Test since Jimmy's talent left.

I try not to take it too serious. It's just fun to rant about, watch, study and analyze. Sports, politics, all the same....

There are definitely moves in the NFL that are easy to second guess, but I feel like an NFL team run by a typical fan would most likely resemble that classic Simpsons episode where Homer as the Everyman invents his own car and drives the company out of business, after he meets his long-lost brother who is CEO of a major auto company.

250px-The_Homer.png

P.S. But to be fair, I'm also reminded of that famous quote by Steve Jobs where he said he had an epiphany when he realized in corporate conferences that no one was the smartest person in the room and everyone was just putting out their version of BS.
Since Jerry is focused on the side stuff, he actually doesn't have 30 years experience. Think about it, man. It took Jerry over 20 years to realize how important the OL is. Don't you remember the 2010 clusterfudge when Jerry tried filling the OL w/ late rounders and UFA's? I mean this was in 2011, and Jerry still hadn't learned. It took Romo refusing to redo his deal for needed salary cap space to force Jerry to take Fredbeard in 13.

And now, think about it. Jerry still doesn't comprehend the role of S and DT.

How in the world are you claiming he knows more than us? I mean, he's going out of his way to tell you he doesn't, why do you think he does?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Amazing to what ends some fans will defend our owner and GM. It’s clear this segment of fans is still enabling him. And they wonder why we need to continue calling him out.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

matt millen said you're wrong.

Blackrain

Reaction score
And woefully below average at building a super bowl contender. That is the goal, right?
I think that's the goal for many teams but it could be argued it is not the number one goal for our team.

It's the number one goal for all Cowboy fans but what good does it really do Jerry and his family.

For him the goal might be do just enough to stay relevant make the playoffs keep all the casual fans interested and spending money.

I think it should be pretty obvious to most by now that Jerry's goal is to have a team that makes the most money not one that collects a bunch of little silver trophies. Even his players have bought in and follow his philosophy like religion.

That whole we will win we must win winning is the name of the game nonsense.
That's for the casual fan.

For the billionaire it reads we will make money we must make money making money is the name of the game.

The sooner this fan base realizes that the easier it will be for them to just hope for some good football to watch and realize that's as good as it gets with Jerry running the team.

In short fans need to swallow the bitter pill that what's most important to us it's not the most important thing to jerry in his billionaire world

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
i give him credit for hiring jason dak garrett. oh crap, that didn't work out well. Well, it actually destroyed the team for 10 plus years. i give him credit for that.

they were some die hard guy who was blue when they finally got rid of the loser. he was sporting an avatar with jason dak garrett with a Landry hat on. he claimed he was already better than Tom. boy, I wish I could remember his name.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I beg to differ here on one point while you are spot on with most of your criticism and point of view as usual.

Jethro does have something to do with the revenue continuing without more success on the field. He’s out there front and center promoting his brand and hyping. We have a large segment of fans who buy in to the we like our guys we have enough talent and SB or Bust mantra.

Many on this forum as well bought into last year. Even those who normally are more grounded. But Jethro appeases to a segment who want to believe following the more eternal optimistic outlook.

All it takes to fuel it is a 6-1 or 3-0 start. Throw in some popular name stars most fans become loyal to and or support and the basis is there for Jethro to optimize his bait and switch to draw them in.

So, to say we generate all of this without any effort or it’s automatic isn’t totally accurate. Unfortunately most of his energy isn’t on the football side of it. Much like all of his efforts he’s made in locking in all of the revenue mechanisms.

He’s made a ton of effort on those fronts which are paying huge dividends. Which has enabled him to continue his football way passions without more success on the field.
Because Booger is not a GM, he is a promoter. He lives and loves that PT Booger role.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
Fear of failure is a great motivator. There is no fear of failure for Jerry and Stephen. The money rolls in and no one is going to fire them.

They don't do anything that makes them uncomfortable. They keep their guys and hope to win, but if not they can just run it back next year.
100% True!