Our ongoing disadvantage - Opposing players got clues to Cowboys offense from Boise State

Whyjerry

Reaction score
By now, everyone knows the story behind last year's season ending loss to the Rams, and how they were able to run for 273 yards. They knew what the Cowboys were doing and schemed to take advantage of that. They knew Rod Marinelli's alignment tendencies and tells and ran all over the Cowboys as a result. Their own players came out and confirmed it.

And now we have opposing players saying the same thing, except now it's coming from the other side of the ball.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-offense-from-kellen-moores-boise-state-tape/

The Cowboys went from scoring 32 points a game to 10. And the Saints went from a questionable defense to looking dominant. One big reason? Just like the Rams, they examined these Cowboys and found tips and tells that helped them to know what was coming.

This team's pro scouting - and specifically self scouting, sucks, and is a major liability. Opponents can repeatedly find out this information about us, but not only can't we do it to them, but we can't even realize and eliminate our own.

It's a huge disadvantage and a clear and obvious shortcoming of this entire coaching staff, starting at the top. And Red doesn't get to deny it any longer.

The huge disadvantage is the GM / Owner.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I take that as you agree?????
I’m not sure why fans don’t target Jerry more. They used to?? The local media and long time sportwriters and personalities do. I’ve never taken my eye off the 8 Ball.

But we’ve even seen how some were more supportive this offseason saying he had turned the corner. Building a better team, etc. and Stephen even running the show now. Who IMO is just as bad.

But where does this all go when it heads South after we lose and fans are disappointed again?

It’s always still rooted there. They just choose to look away when we’re winning.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's what defensive coordinators do to every team in the league this isn't exclusive to us?

It's the reason people like RG 3 went from superstar to bad. It's the reason people like Kaepernick went from a championship quarterback to a chump that can't win a NFL game.

Defenses adjust. They learn tendencies. Change coaching schemes. It's the reason why Chip Kelly went from a world beater to Chump Kelly and out of the league.

Give me examples like those I provided. Show me where opposing players are talking about how they knew the signals, tells, and tendencies of "every team"?

If and when you do that, I will gladly concede your attempted point.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you about Moore's culpability. But rather than actually doing anything to change it, Garrett's actually trying to deny it's happening! When other teams' players, with no reason to say anything either way, are coming out and saying so. Even the article I attached talks about how it's actually not smart to be saying these things publicly and giving away a known advantage they have. But this team and staff are so far behind the curve, it's out there for all to see. But instead of doing anything about it, they try to deny it. Likely because one Garrett is trying to cover for the other.

I for one am sick of watching what was once the most advanced, forward-thinking team in the entire league, being a dinosaur, and totally behind the times and what the rest of the league is doing on a weekly basis.
we have not been forward thinking for 25 years...since Johnson left. none of the coaches and staff since have been forward thinking and always reactive.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we have not been forward thinking for 25 years...since Johnson left. none of the coaches and staff since have been forward thinking and always reactive.

I totally agree. Completely behind the times.

And that's why McClay and the Joneses can stock this team with all the good players that they can, and it still won't be enough to overcome the clear inadequacies in these other areas.

Failures and shortcomings in those areas undermine everything else.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Fire JG and get a real HC. If we had that we should be 5-0 now.
who is the real coach? everyone wants one. for 25 years and 6 coaches, we have not had a real head coach. except for Parcells who quit after 4 years because he couldn't take working with meddling Jerry. any coach who comes here has to deal with that and be willing to work in that dynamic. which real coach would be willing to do this except those who are desparate?

and I don't want Mike Riley....he is a college coach....and he will become a jerry puppet after one year.....

JBS

Reaction score
Are there really people on here that are arguing against this? That's absurd to me...nothing against the op, his post is spot on, but I thought this was clear and obvious to everyone by now

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Killing it here @stasheroo, i must have liked a dozen of your posts in this thread.

Sad to think, as mentioned, that the Cowboys were once the NFL leaders in innovation, now... not so much.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Are there really people on here that are arguing against this? That's absurd to me...nothing against the op, his post is spot on, but I thought this was clear and obvious to everyone by now

Wish i could give this more than one like.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Amazingly, yes.

Go back to page 3 of this thread and take note of some of the 'kind words' some had for me, because this is apparently an upsetting subject for them and one that they would prefer to ignore. But shoot the messenger!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How many comments do we have to hear from opposing players about the offense before we believe them?

There are simply coaches that can alter and modify what they do, Belichick, Pederson, and coaches that are slaves to their own system. Garrett learned coaching from Turner but Turner had better talent than what Garrett has had and parity wasn't a thing then. Hell, there were only 2 or 3 NFC teams the Cowboys had to worry about back then, SF, GB and NYG. I remember players saying is wasn't as if they didn't know what was coming, they couldn't stop it.

They knew GB was going to try and run Aaron Jones because LaFleur is a run guy and he was missing his WR1. They couldn't stop that any more than KC could stop Mack Sunday night.

It's all about how one team matches up against the other and we were weak in the run to end the last season and have yet to fix that. Any team that has a decent run game is going to use that strategy just like NYG did to open the season. All these coaches do is watch film for weaknesses to exploit and not all of them are as adept at reading the film.

Garrett is a slave to his system and the "process" has been trying to get back to that 90's Cowboys offense that could just line up and run the plays. That's all he knows. And he learned that from one of the best executing offenses in NFL history. But let's be fair, back then the Cowboys had backup lineman that would start for other teams, that depth was crazy good and one of the reasons for their success.

If Kellen Moore is going to be the guy, he needs time. That team some went to school on at Boise State wasn't facing the competition he's facing now and will going forward. The wackiest thing is that some here really didn't think he would have some serious bumps along the way. That's not only unfair to him but to the seasoned vet coaches that he's facing, these guys are the best at what they do and he's just starting out.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Article I came across today that I hadnt seen posted: https://brobible.com/sports/article...V3y9rTGW-uB746zAuwPWfTEfCYeOOSUbjuhSm1-_tsW4E

When things are going bad for the Cowboys, Jason Garrett claps. When they’re going swimmingly, Jason Garrett claps. This consistency, while mocked relentlessly, ensures that opposing sidelines’ are incapable of jacking signals.

Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, on the other hand, wears his signals on his sleeve. And he’s reportedly becoming the opponents most valuable asset.

The Saints defense, who held Dak Prescott to zero touchdowns and one interception to hand Dallas its first loss, looked to the first-year offensive coordinator’s past to predict the future.

Via Steve Wyche of NFL Network:

I was just with the Saints, and players told me that when they played the Cowboys two weeks ago, they went back to look at Boise State tape when Dallas offensive coordinator Kellen Moore played quarterback there and they saw some of the hand gestures and some of the things he liked to do at Boise that he’s incorporated into the Cowboys offense. They were able to pick up some tendencies from that, so now maybe there’s some teams that are getting a read on what Kellen Moore likes to do, and that may be part of the reason why Dak hasn’t had it so easy.

Moore was Boise State’s starting quarterback from 2008 to 2011, so carrying on signals from a decade ago is almost as impressive as it is bold. Speaking of bold, I have no idea why Saints players would divulge this information seeing as there’s a chance they’ll reunite with the Cowboys in the playoffs. As if the Saints needed any help getting boned in the playoffs.

P.S. I would be remiss to write a Boise State post and not include the three most exciting plays in modern college history. The 2007 Fiesta Bowl.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Give me examples like those I provided. Show me where opposing players are talking about how they knew the signals, tells, and tendencies of "every team"?

If and when you do that, I will gladly concede your attempted point.
Attempted point? It's football 101. I just gave you examples. Honestly it's common sense. Your opponents steady tendencies. Stop whining and think for a minute it's not like what I said is some breaking news.

You're trying to tell everybody defenses in football only steady the tendencies of the Dallas Cowboys and well that's just a silly assertion.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
By now, everyone knows the story behind last year's season ending loss to the Rams, and how they were able to run for 273 yards. They knew what the Cowboys were doing and schemed to take advantage of that. They knew Rod Marinelli's alignment tendencies and tells and ran all over the Cowboys as a result. Their own players came out and confirmed it.

And now we have opposing players saying the same thing, except now it's coming from the other side of the ball.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-offense-from-kellen-moores-boise-state-tape/

The Cowboys went from scoring 32 points a game to 10. And the Saints went from a questionable defense to looking dominant. One big reason? Just like the Rams, they examined these Cowboys and found tips and tells that helped them to know what was coming.

This team's pro scouting - and specifically self scouting, sucks, and is a major liability. Opponents can repeatedly find out this information about us, but not only can't we do it to them, but we can't even realize and eliminate our own.

It's a huge disadvantage and a clear and obvious shortcoming of this entire coaching staff, starting at the top. And Red doesn't get to deny it any longer.
This is totally unacceptable. Parcels would not have allowed this to happen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Attempted point? It's football 101. I just gave you examples. Honestly it's common sense. Your opponents steady tendencies. Stop whining and think for a minute it's not like what I said is some breaking news.

Except that NOT AT ALL what this is. And I didn’t expect any examples from you because it is in fact NOT the same as “every other team”. Fail.

But you keep on “whining” about it because it shows clear weaknesses within this team. And you clearly can’t handle that.

You're trying to tell everybody defenses in football only steady the tendencies of the Dallas Cowboys and well that's just a silly assertion.

And maybe before you try - and fail miserably - to try to correct someone when you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, get the word study right first.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
kellen-moore-dallas-cowboys-lead.jpg

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Adjustments....adjustments.....we don't need no stinkin adjustments.....