Our ongoing disadvantage - Opposing players got clues to Cowboys offense from Boise State

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
This is fixable for Moore because he is a newb coach. This is on Garrett for allowing another team to know our plays. He should have stepped in to prevent those signals from being used. Mind boggling.
my point is after our 1st game there were those in here creating threads saying we need to lock him up before someone comes along and takes our next superman away from us.

i don't see that talk much now.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We have to find another Idaho college to poach blue chippers from. They're not in the same state as Iowa, are they?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Oh how I remember a time in Dallas history where opposing teams knew what they were going to do and the opposing team still couldn't stop it. So what if they get clues or hints. EVERY team can watch a damn team and get information.

EXECUTION is the key. And, Dallas isn't doing that. I swear, some think that Moore's offense is the next greatest thing to Ernie Zampese.. LOL..

ondaedg

Reaction score
Oh how I remember a time in Dallas history where opposing teams knew what they were going to do and the opposing team still couldn't stop it. So what if they get clues or hints. EVERY team can watch a damn team and get information.

EXECUTION is the key. And, Dallas isn't doing that. I swear, some think that Moore's offense is the next greatest thing to Ernie Zampese.. LOL..

Football has changed. Knowledge > Execution every day of the week.

ondaedg

Reaction score
my point is after our 1st game there were those in here creating threads saying we need to lock him up before someone comes along and takes our next superman away from us.

i don't see that talk much now.

Once they figure out how to actually disguise their play calls we can see if Moore is the real deal or not.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Because he is following the philosophy of the 90's where the cowboys were stacked with pro-bowlers at every spot. So yea, it didn't matter if you knew what was coming you couldn't stop it. But he's trying to recreate that with Tyron Crawford, D-Law and Heath.
Whereas, when Belichick was asked about how often he changes his defensive approach, he replied, "Every week".

ondaedg

Reaction score
Whereas, when Belichick was asked about how often he changes his defensive approach, he replied, "Every week".

He has a base D they can tweak every week to adjust to whatever defensive strategy they want to do. And he always has a stud at DT/NT that gives them the flexibility to adjust without exposing their linebackers.

birdwells1

Reaction score
By now, everyone knows the story behind last year's season ending loss to the Rams, and how they were able to run for 273 yards. They knew what the Cowboys were doing and schemed to take advantage of that. They knew Rod Marinelli's alignment tendencies and tells and ran all over the Cowboys as a result. Their own players came out and confirmed it.

And now we have opposing players saying the same thing, except now it's coming from the other side of the ball.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-offense-from-kellen-moores-boise-state-tape/

The Cowboys went from scoring 32 points a game to 10. And the Saints went from a questionable defense to looking dominant. One big reason? Just like the Rams, they examined these Cowboys and found tips and tells that helped them to know what was coming.

This team's pro scouting - and specifically self scouting, sucks, and is a major liability. Opponents can repeatedly find out this information about us, but not only can't we do it to them, but we can't even realize and eliminate our own.

It's a huge disadvantage and a clear and obvious shortcoming of this entire coaching staff, starting at the top. And Red doesn't get to deny it any longer.

I agree, the "tell" that the rams picked up last year should have been picked up during self scouting, if they even do it. Isn't that what the quality control guys supposed to do?

Dre11

Reaction score
I'm providing facts and support for my argument, a foreign concept to you I'm well aware.

Not one, but now two of the league's top teams' players have come out and said what we've all known for quite some time. That the Jason Garrett led Dallas Cowboys are easy to figure out, and that puts them at a huge disadvantage. But people like you who like to make any excuses they can don't like that fact. Like I said earlier, you go ahead and cover your own eyes to it, but nobody else's.

Who's "we"? You are utterly and entirely alone on your sad little island. Nobody's there with you.

Lol...you fell for that Bs...lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, the "tell" that the rams picked up last year should have been picked up during self scouting, if they even do it. Isn't that what the quality control guys supposed to do?

It's what good Advance Scouting does. Self scouting should be among their highest priority, but I think it's where we lag behind the rest of the league.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol...you fell for that Bs...lol

Yeah, it's "BS" when he and this team get their *** kicked because opponents know what they're doing.

Just like the Rams running all over them.

You keep shaking this pom-poms sweetie.

And I, and this entire forum will continue to "lol" at the joke that is you.

Kaiser

Reaction score
BTW, Jon Machota posted an article today where Moore and Prescott both said this story is BS.

Stealing signals. NFL Network’s Steve Wyche reported last week that the New Orleans Saints studied plays from Kellen Moore’s time at Boise State to prepare for Dallas a few weeks ago. The Saints defeated the Cowboys 12-10, stalling an offense that had averaged over 32 points per game the previous three weeks.

What did the Cowboys’ first-year offensive coordinator think of that story?

“Yeah, we’re trying to figure out which ones they found,” Moore said sarcastically. “We don’t do a single thing the same way. That was a good one, though. Good story. Clickbait, right? You guys know a little about that.”

Dak Prescott enjoyed the story so much, he begged for other teams to do the same going forward.

“Keep writing about that, please,” Prescott said. “Tell them we’re using Mississippi State signals, please.”

cristglo

Reaction score
Maybe its true maybe its BS but when youre all pro center said something it makes you stop and ponder. Do you really think that they would admit that this was done? Would make them look even more clueless. lol

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How do you think Bill Belicheck continues to do it, year after year, after year?

It's because he utilizes every single bit of information and data that he can to gain a competitive advantage, yes, going so far as to break league rules if he can.

But no one can argue with the success he's had during his tenure and it's because he and the organization leave no stone unturned. While the Cowboys are caught up in a "Friends and Family" program with the Garretts and are too worried about "feelings". That's why we will never attain the levels the Patriots do.
Kind of funny that everytime I want to come post something, I find that stash has already stole my thunder...lol,, its all good brother, but your making my fingers lazy,, ha.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kind of funny that everytime I want to come post something, I find that stash has already stole my thunder...lol,, its all good brother, but your making my fingers lazy,, ha.

Glad I could help!
:thumbup::laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe its true maybe its BS but when youre all pro center said something it makes you stop and ponder. Do you really think that they would admit that this was done? Would make them look even more clueless. lol

Like I've said numerous times, people can cover their own eyes to it if they feel the need. But not anyone else's.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW, Jon Machota posted an article today where Moore and Prescott both said this story is BS.

Stealing signals. NFL Network’s Steve Wyche reported last week that the New Orleans Saints studied plays from Kellen Moore’s time at Boise State to prepare for Dallas a few weeks ago. The Saints defeated the Cowboys 12-10, stalling an offense that had averaged over 32 points per game the previous three weeks.

What did the Cowboys’ first-year offensive coordinator think of that story?

“Yeah, we’re trying to figure out which ones they found,” Moore said sarcastically. “We don’t do a single thing the same way. That was a good one, though. Good story. Clickbait, right? You guys know a little about that.”

Dak Prescott enjoyed the story so much, he begged for other teams to do the same going forward.

“Keep writing about that, please,” Prescott said. “Tell them we’re using Mississippi State signals, please.”

They should talk to their Pro Bowl center and set him straight too.

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Flamma

Reaction score
I laugh when I read stuff like this. What did the Cowboys steal when they beat the Saints 13-10 last year? Against a team that was averaging how many points per game?

An offense can exploit the tendencies of a defensive line like last year against the Rams. A defense can occasionally pick up where the offense is going to run the ball like week2 against the Eagles in 2015. But the passing game is different. It's a numbers game VS a pass rush. There are no tells that matter.