Our "Elite" Players..

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
so which Cowboys do you think qualify as "elite"? I guess one good way to determine the elite players is to say that you could argue that they are in the top 5 at his position in the NFL.. I dont know if that is a good way to describe it or not.. but anyways, I think that we have six "elite" Cowboys..

1. Roy Williams- no doubt, he is an elite player.. you could make the argument that he is the best safety in the league, along with Ed Reed, Troy Polamolu, and Brian Dawkins..

2. Terrell Owens- again, this is a no brainer.. he alongside Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, and Torry Holt have dominated the game for the past several seasons..

3. Terence Newman- This one is debatable, but I believe that Newman is an elite CB, even if he hasnt been named to a Pro Bowl yet.. we saw last year that he is a shut down corner, and Dr. Z of Sports Illustrated actually had him rated as THE number one cover corner in the league last year.. He will be recognized soon.. I put Newman in the same company as Champ Bailey, Ronde Barber, DeAngelo Hall, Deltha O'Neal, and Nathan Vasher..

4. Jason Witten- I suppose that this one is slightly debatable and isnt a given like Roy and TO, but Witten is elite.. he is right after Antonio Gates, alongside Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Alge Crumpler, and Todd Heap..

5. Mike Vanderjagt- Another sure fire elite player.. You can debate for him in the best kicker argument along with Adam Vinatieri, Neil Rackers, Shane Graham, and David Akers..

6. Demarcus Ware- OK, this is based on potential.. I think that he is gonna become an elite player this year.. Last year he was very very good but not elite.. This year, I think that he becomes elite.. I think that he becomes one of the best pass rushers in the NFL..

There you have it.. I say that we have 6 elite players.. 3 of them are sure fire, no brainers (Roy, TO, Vanderjagt).. 1 of them is slightly debatable, but most would agree is elite (Witten).. 1 of them is very open to debate but I think will soon be common knowledge (Newman).. 1 of them is purely based on my speculation of his incredible talent and improvement this offseason (Ware)..

lzppjb

Reaction score
Top 5 at their position?

Roy
TO
Witten
Vandy
Newman

I'm going to wait on saying Ware even though I think he gets there.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
lzppjb said:
Top 5 at their position?

Roy
TO
Witten
Vandy
Newman

cool, so we pretty much agree exactly then.. :thumbup:

even though I am jumping the gun a little bit on Ware..

look at this man.. here it is, the middle of the night, and a Sooner fan and a Longhorn fan are sitting here enjoying a little conversation and shootin the breeze.. isnt the internet wonderful? :D

lzppjb

Reaction score
Yeah, it's probably a good thing there are computer screens and many miles between us. Rivals and all.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
1.T.O

2.Roy Williams

3. Drew Bledsoe( Without him we would of been lucky to win 4 games)

4 terrance Newman

5.Terry Glenn if healthy

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
As of right now I think we have 4 "Elite" Players

Vanderjagt- Best Kicker In The NFL
Newman- Top 5 Cornerback In The League (Not On Paper)
Owens- Best WR In The Game
Roy Williams!- Easily Elite And Among The Top 5 Safetys, Best Safety In My Opinion

bigdrulez3141

Reaction score
lzppjb said:
Top 5 at their position?

Roy
TO
Witten
Vandy
Newman

This is exactly it at this point.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
DallasDomination said:
1.T.O

2.Roy Williams

4 terrance Newman

5.Terry Glenn if healthy
I would love to think it, but Bledsoe isnt elite.. you are right, he was a major part of us winning some games last year.. but any good QB should mean that.. and thats what he is at this point-- good.. but not elite..

Glenn is very good, but not elite.. the elite recievers are Owens, Harrison, Johnson, Moss, and Holt.. then you got guys like Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin.. then you got guys like Hines Ward, Chris Chambers, Joey Galloway, and Terry Glenn..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Flozell is elite. Everyone is looking for a player like him.

superpunk

Reaction score
I agree, save for Ware. Up to a point last year, you could have actually argued for Henry. Hopefully THAT picks up again this year. :)

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Aaron Glenn is elite at his position I think which is Nickle Corner. He got burned twice last year (Maybe more) but he was also instrumental in victories throughout the season.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
I would love to think it, but Bledsoe isnt elite.. you are right, he was a major part of us winning some games last year.. but any good QB should mean that.. and thats what he is at this point-- good.. but not elite..

Glenn is very good, but not elite.. the elite recievers are Owens, Harrison, Johnson, Moss, and Holt.. then you got guys like Santana Moss, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin.. then you got guys like Hines Ward, Chris Chambers, Joey Galloway, and Terry Glenn..

Santana Moss?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Santana Moss?
yeah, I hate to admit it, but I would put him in the "second tier" of recievers.. the guy is really good.. again, he isnt "elite", but he is in the notch below elite status..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
yeah, I hate to admit it, but I would put him in the "second tier" of recievers.. the guy is really good.. again, he isnt "elite", but he is in the notch below elite status..

I don't think I would agree with this. I would rate Hines way ahead of Moss. I certainly don't consider Moss to be better then Glenn.

Moss has really only had two good years IMO.

03 1105 yards and last year with 1483. Keep in mind, there really was nobody else to throw to in Washington last year. He got a lot of chances to catch the ball. I think he'd probably have to show me a bit more before I would consider him even 2nd tier.

I think he's capable of becoming elite or second tier but I would say he is just yet.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasDomination said:
1.T.O

2.Roy Williams

4 terrance Newman

5.Terry Glenn if healthy

I would agree with regards to Bledsoe. Before his line tanked, he was among the best in the NFC. Given the weapons he has this year, I think he could vault back into elite status.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
DallasDomination said:

That may be true, but if we had a true Elite QB we would have done just as well. Bledsoe, no doubt, is very important to us. But come on, you can't put Bledsoe up there, because a guy like Manning, Brady, McNabb, well you get teh point, would have done it too.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
there are only 2 elite players on this team, TO and Roy

I think putting guys like newman, witten, flo, vandy, bledsoe, etc... are making the "elite" wayyy to generous. although they are all very good players, they are not impact players week in and week out.

Think about it...who would you rather have to win right now at TE

gates, gonzales...
and then there are handful at witten's level ie mcmichael, shockey, cooley

at cb i love newman dont get me wrong, but he doesnt have the numbers to show me elite status. until he becomes a game breaker type guy he cant be elite