Our RB situation

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
David Johnson is an interesting guy to watch. Under the radar guy from a smaller school.

Remember, guys like Alfred Morris and Arian Foster (both undrafted) are always out there.

His upside is tremendous.

226 pound freak athlete that runs like a horse in the open field.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. Is anyone paying attention? We dominated with our run game last year and now we are just going to wing it with DMF and company? What?

That would be arrogant. Taking the strength of our running game is the OL and not the RB mindset to the extreme. Letting Murray go was a sound decision but that doesn't mean just any back is a capable replacement.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not sure certain about that.

We may not have satisfied our thirst for cornerbacks.

manster4ever

Reaction score
It breaks all ties for me. The thought of Darren McFadden starting for this team is nauseating.

True but if we have ANY faith in this FO anymore that won't happen. I look for Yeldon,D.Johnson or Ajayi to be wearing a star by the end of tonight.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
It needs to desperately get resolved today. I think the CB pick in round 1 was excellent. It translates to a huge middle finger up to that Claiborne guy. Excellent in every respect. I do wonder if we made any attempts to move up for Gurley or Gordon. Guess we'll know when it's all said & done.

TJ Yeldon?
Tevin Coleman?
Jay Ajayi?

OR

Perhaps when the lights shine on our second rounder tonight, we see the words TRADE hit the screen.

Who would you go with out of those three if you were making the decision on the RB that will bolster our backfield this year?

I'm thinking RB in the 2nd, DL in the 3rd, and QB in the 4th.

Good morning!

For me, running back is NOT a desperate need and doesn't need to be resolved today,,,Dunbar,Williams,Randle and Mcfadden is fine......although I wouldn't mind Kendricks and Duke Johnson....LIke to get another LB, DE, OL or S today

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's the difference between starting Ryan Williams or, say, Tevin Coleman.

Williams was a 2nd round pick who has been slowed by injuries more than anything. Any guy we draft will be a bigger question mark than he is, and Williams has as much talent as a pure runner as any guy we'll get moving forward.

So you believe when we look back at this draft in 5 years none of the RBs remaining will prove to be any better than a practice squad guy last year?

This is what you believe?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
While I agree with you, I am intrigued to see McFadden on a real team.

I think he will do better than what he did in Oakland but it is really a roll of the dice. Not to mention he has been injured a ton in his pro career. In 7 years he has only had 1 full season. He isn't a player you can count on. It just surprises me that we would roll the dice after our season last year was successful because of the run game. Not having as good of a run game could really hurt us.

LittleD

Reaction score
Id rather get defense tonight and get an rb in the 4th.

I agree with you. I think if they have the opportunity, they are going DL in the 2nd and maybe OT in the 3rd.
I would look to the 4th round to find a RB who could compete and run behind this all-pro line.
Jerry didn't lie when he said they are just not that worried about the RB position. They like DMC and Ryan Williams
better than most of you. JMVHO!

ufcrules1

Reaction score
That would be arrogant. Taking the strength of our running game is the OL and not the RB mindset to the extreme. Letting Murray go was a sound decision but that doesn't mean just any back is a capable replacement.

I agree about letting Murray walk.. I was fine with that part but I thought we were going to find a replacement that was close to his level or better. Instead we are literally giving all of the credit to the Oline and none to Murray and that is just foolish. Our Oline is very good but we need a very good RB to maximize our effectiveness.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
So you believe when we look back at this draft in 5 years none of the RBs remaining will prove to be any better than a practice squad guy last year?

This is what you believe?
Not necessarily in the long term. But every rookie has question marks and I don't believe that we "desperately" need to get a RB today like the OP says. There's very little to suggest that any of the 2nd day rookies are going to come in and be any better than Williams or Randle.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree about letting Murray walk.. I was fine with that part but I thought we were going to find a replacement that was close to his level or better. Instead we are literally giving all of the credit to the Oline and none to Murray and that is just foolish. Our Oline is very good but we need a very good RB to maximize our effectiveness.

I'll agree with this statement if we do nothing about it today. Right now all we didn't do is reach for a RB in round 1.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
For me, running back is NOT a desperate need and doesn't need to be resolved today,,,Dunbar,Williams,Randle and Mcfadden is fine......although I wouldn't mind Kendricks and Duke Johnson....LIke to get another LB, DE, OL or S today

Did you watch the Cowboys play in 2014? Just curious....

superonyx

Reaction score
What's the difference between starting Ryan Williams or, say, Tevin Coleman.

Williams was a 2nd round pick who has been slowed by injuries more than anything. Any guy we draft will be a bigger question mark than he is, and Williams has as much talent as a pure runner as any guy we'll get moving forward.

Ryan Williams has had 1 healthy season since he left high school. His freshman year...look it up.
When he played 5 games for the cardinals he averaged 2.8 ypc and fumbled a few times.

Tevin Coleman ran for more yards last season that Ryan Williams has in his college and pro career combined.
Just saying.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
It needs to desperately get resolved today. I think the CB pick in round 1 was excellent. It translates to a huge middle finger up to that Claiborne guy. Excellent in every respect. I do wonder if we made any attempts to move up for Gurley or Gordon. Guess we'll know when it's all said & done.

TJ Yeldon?
Tevin Coleman?
Jay Ajayi?

OR

Perhaps when the lights shine on our second rounder tonight, we see the words TRADE hit the screen.

Who would you go with out of those three if you were making the decision on the RB that will bolster our backfield this year?

I'm thinking RB in the 2nd, DL in the 3rd, and QB in the 4th.

Good morning!

Like the way your thinking but I think Yeldon, Coleman will be gone by the 60th pick. Cowboys address the DL (Benett/Grady/Gregory if he falls)with the 2nd pick and trade the 3rd pick and a pick next year for AD. That would be the "dream" scenario imo. I hope Petty or Grayson is there in the 4th but I doubt it. If they don't trade either for a higher pick in the 2nd or AD then I don't like the chances of getting that bellcow to replace Murray.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
David Johnson is an interesting guy to watch. Under the radar guy from a smaller school.

Remember, guys like Alfred Morris and Arian Foster (both undrafted) are always out there.

I thought Morris was like a 6th round pick?

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I'll agree with this statement if we do nothing about it today. Right now all we didn't do is reach for a RB in round 1.

The problem is.. who is going to be available at 60 for us? It's like we are lumping 5 rb's together and saying whoever falls to us we will take. I don't want a RB like Yeldon here.. he isn't going to help us. Do you really want DMF to be our stater this year? We need a RB like Tevin Coleman that has the speed and power combo. Knowing the FO here I bet we don't even take a RB until the 3rd round.