Outside this board, the Cowboys are getting some good grades for this draft

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Of course they're getting better grades off this forum. Half the time you'd think this was a forum dedicated to people who dislike the Cowboys. If you sound like you're excited in the least then half the posters call you dumb and naive.

Last edited:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'm ready for some OTA's and TC after this weekend.........loving the early grades too.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
oh good, each draft grade really makes a differece.

they are selling a product to stay relevant. they all know drafts cant be graded til later, than you see the humble pies being devoured

ShortRound

Reaction score
MMQB / SI, gave us a B

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/27/nfl-draft-2019-team-grades-picks-analysis

NFC EAST
DALLAS COWBOYS

2 (58). Trysten Hill, DT, UCF
3 (90). Connor McGovern, G, Penn State
4 (128). Tony Pollard, RB, Memphis
5 (158). Michael Jackson Sr., CB, Miami (Fla.)
5 (165). Joe Jackson, DE, Miami (Fla.)
6 (213). Donovan Wilson, S, Texas A&M
7 (218). Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State
7 (241). Jalen Jelks, DE, Oregon

As many Cowboys fans Twitter have reminded us, the team’s first-round pick this year was essentially Amari Cooper. That Raiders trade left Dallas with the 26th pick in the second round as its first selection, and using it to replace self-exiled defensive tackle David Irving made sense. Like Irving, Trysten Hill has an excellent first step—important in Dallas’s gap-shooting scheme, which emphasizes not just quick penetration but also multidirectional D-line slants and stunts, demanding that front line players fire off quickly at different angles.

The Connor McGovern pick could prove valuable if right tackle La’el Collins, in a contract year, is deemed unworthy of a lucrative second deal. Or, more likely, McGovern could one day replace last year’s second-round pick Connor Williams, who looks and plays much too light and might not have the anchor strength to survive long-term at left guard.

The rest of the draft was about acquiring depth in a defense that has 11 contributors who are in the last year of their contracts. Oh, and acquiring depth behind offensive headliner Ezekiel Elliott (fourth-round running back Tony Pollard), which this team hasn’t had since Darren McFadden and Alfred Morris in 2017.

GRADE: B

ShortRound

Reaction score
rest of the NFC East grades:

NEW YORK GIANTS
1 (6). Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
1 (17). Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
1 (30). Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia
3 (95). Oshane Ximines, DE, Old Dominion
4 (108). Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame
5 (143). Ryan Connelly, LB, Wisconsin
5 (171). Darius Slayton, WR, Auburn
6 (180). Corey Ballentine, CB, Washburn
7 (232). George Asafo-Adjei, T, Kentucky
7 (245). Chris Slayton, DT, Syracuse

Giants fans have been griping for years that the team should find an heir for Eli Manning. And when the Giants finally do, drafting Daniel Jones with the No. 6 overall pick, the response is, “No, not THAT guy, not with the sixth pick!” There will be plenty of time to hash out that argument and watch it quickly get old, as Jones will be heavily scrutinized from now until the day Eli finally IS dismissed. (Then, Jones will be scrutinized even more after that.) Keep in mind, fans’ and media’s reaction to the Jones pick would be more tempered if GM Dave Gettleman were a polished, diplomatic public speaker. Gettleman’s gruff, semi-patronizing tone naturally provoke rebuttals and arguments.

With their next two picks, the Giants did what everyone agreed they most needed to do for 2019: replenish the defense. The Dexter Lawrence choice, however, was befuddling—not just because Lawrence, a potentially dominant gap-clogger, might prove to be only a first and second down player, but because the Giants already had two good young defensive tackles in B.J. Hill and Dalvin Tomlinson. Gettleman has always had an affinity for drafting talented interior defensive linemen.

Deandre Baker was a more understandable choice, though trading back into the first-round made him extra expensive. Baker must contribute right away since defensive coordinator James Bettcher’s blitz-intensive scheme demands outside corners who can cover one-on-one. Entering the draft, New York had only one such corner, Janoris Jenkins, and he is coming off an erratic season. The cornerbacking unit is thin enough that Baker’s fellow rookie, fourth-rounder Julian Love, might also warrant a big role early on.

Because of the emphasis on blitzing, the Giants are less dependent than most teams on natural edge rushers, which is why, despite this being a rich edge-rusher draft, they didn’t take one until Oshane Ximines at the end of Round 3.

GRADE: C-

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
1 (22). Andre Dillard, OL, Washington State
2 (53). Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State
2 (57) J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, WR, Stanford
4 (138). Shareef Miller, DE, Penn State
5 (167). Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern

Every pick made sense for the Eagles, especially when you look a few years down the road. Andre Dillard is a project for Jeff Stoutland, one of football’s highest-regarded offensive line coaches. The hope is the Washington State product can step in at left tackle next year when 37-year-old future Hall-of-Famer Jason Peters likely retires. Dillard was not asked to execute NFL-style run-blocks much at WSU, and his progress there is crucial because Philadelphia’s offense is predicated on having a schematically diverse ground game. Injuries in the backfield prevented that last year, which is why, even after trading a conditional sixth-round pick for Bears zone-running ace Jordan Howard, the Eagles spent a second-rounder on Miles Sanders, a smooth three-down back who, unlike Howard, has the lateral agility to create his own space. Sanders will contribute right away and probably earn the top role in 2020.

At wideout, J.J. Arcega-Whiteside offers the detailed mechanics and steady possession traits to consistently capitalize on opportunities created by Doug Pederson’s two-and three-receiver route combinations. His presence makes it easier to trade Nelson Agholor this year or let him walk next year. Also helping for next year is Shareef Miller, who adds options at defensive end, where veterans Chris Long and/or Vinny Curry might depart. (It’s possible Long could even be gone before this season.)

GRADE: A-

WASHINGTON Commanders
1 (15). Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
1 (26). Montez Sweat, DE, Mississippi State
3 (76). Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State
4 (112). Bryce Love, RB, Stanford
4 (131). Wes Martin, OL, Indiana
5 (153). Ross Pierschbacher, OL, Alabama
5 (173). Cole Holcomb, LB, North Carolina
6 (206). Kelvin Harmon, WR, North Carolina State
7 (227). Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison
7 (253). Jordan Brailford, DE, Oklahoma State

That sound you hear is Jay Gruden’s seat sizzling. Washington went offense with five of its first six picks, including QB Dwayne Haskins with Pick 1 (15th overall). Gruden is an offensive wizard, and if that wizardry doesn’t make immediate magic, owner Dan Snyder (who some believe was behind the Haskins pick) could hastily declare that it’s the right time to bring in a fresh coaching staff. You can bet the possibility of this scenario has already unfolded in the back of Gruden’s mind. He knows that the pressure to play Haskins will begin with Case Keenum’s first interception—nay, Keenum’s first incompletion. Gruden also knows that Haskins is a project, needing refinement in his pocket poise and precision accuracy. It’s a tough spot for a coach, but such is life in the NFL.

Giving Haskins a familiar target like Terry McLaurin was wise. The addition of tailback Bryce Love in Round 4 makes you really wonder about the health of last year’s second-round pick Derrius Guice, whose rehab from last August’s torn ACL was reportedly delayed by an infection. Perhaps the Commanders, who have now drafted a running back nine years in a row, saw Love as simply great value considering he was taken before the team addressed its most immediate need, left guard. That was done by picking Wes Martin, who will compete with flamed-out ex-Giants left tackle Ereck Flowers. The more agile zone-blocker will get the job.

As for the one pick that did not go offense—Washington traded back into Round 1 to snatch pass rushing dynamo Montez Sweat, who fell because of a heart condition. The hope is Sweat will correct the defense’s deficiency off the right edge, where 2017 second-rounder Ryan Anderson has not developed and where veterans Preston Smith and Trent Murphy have been lost in free agency each of the last two years.

GRADE: B

ShortRound

Reaction score
Bleecher report thinks we did well

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...book-saints-cowboys-both-win-big-in-nashville

Mike Freeman's NFL Draft Notebook: Saints, Cowboys Both Win Big in Nashville

1. Biggest draft winners

They didn't have high draft picks. They weren't the talks of the event. They weren't involved in any huge trades. Yet the Saints and Cowboys may have emerged as having had the best weekend in Nashville, Tennessee.

Team officials from both conferences say the two NFC teams they think are on a collision course for the conference title-game are the Cowboys and Saints, and the draft helped both, even though neither team had prime draft real estate.

The Cowboys didn't have a first-round pick after they sent it to Oakland for wide receiver Amari Cooper last October. Yet teams and scouts thought defensive lineman Trysten Hill from Central Florida, whom Dallas drafted in Round 2, and Penn State guard Connor McGovern, taken in the third round, were solid choices and could help the team immediately.

The Saints also didn't have a first-round pick but got a first-round talent in center Erik McCoy from Texas A&M. McCoy has a good chance to start next year and solidify New Orleans' offensive line. Teams also tell me they liked the Saints' fourth-round selection of Florida safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, who is expected to be a formidable defender against slot receivers.

"He's one of those players that in the process stood out," coach Sean Payton said of McCoy, according to a team transcript. "I think you see his strength on tape in each game you watch. We really had a high grade on him. He obviously played at a high level of competition, and you see the consistency, and there were just a lot of things to like with the player."

Neither team had far to go to be in the Super Bowl conversation before the draft. The Saints, obviously, were one putrid non-pass-interference call away from getting to the Super Bowl last year.

And while Dallas didn't go far in last season's playoffs, there is, surprisingly, a large contingent of Cowboys believers around the league. Teams respect quarterback Dak Prescott more than many people understand. Throw in running back Ezekiel Elliott, Cooper, a good offensive line and a solid defense, and it's not hard to understand why expectations are high for Dallas.

The draft won't fix everything. The Saints need to get a little better on defense, and Jason Garrett needs to get a lot better at coaching. But this weekend may go a long way toward deciding who the final two teams playing in the NFC will be next January.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Bleecher report thinks we did well

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...book-saints-cowboys-both-win-big-in-nashville

Mike Freeman's NFL Draft Notebook: Saints, Cowboys Both Win Big in Nashville

1. Biggest draft winners

They didn't have high draft picks. They weren't the talks of the event. They weren't involved in any huge trades. Yet the Saints and Cowboys may have emerged as having had the best weekend in Nashville, Tennessee.

Team officials from both conferences say the two NFC teams they think are on a collision course for the conference title-game are the Cowboys and Saints, and the draft helped both, even though neither team had prime draft real estate.

The Cowboys didn't have a first-round pick after they sent it to Oakland for wide receiver Amari Cooper last October. Yet teams and scouts thought defensive lineman Trysten Hill from Central Florida, whom Dallas drafted in Round 2, and Penn State guard Connor McGovern, taken in the third round, were solid choices and could help the team immediately.

The Saints also didn't have a first-round pick but got a first-round talent in center Erik McCoy from Texas A&M. McCoy has a good chance to start next year and solidify New Orleans' offensive line. Teams also tell me they liked the Saints' fourth-round selection of Florida safety Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, who is expected to be a formidable defender against slot receivers.

"He's one of those players that in the process stood out," coach Sean Payton said of McCoy, according to a team transcript. "I think you see his strength on tape in each game you watch. We really had a high grade on him. He obviously played at a high level of competition, and you see the consistency, and there were just a lot of things to like with the player."

Neither team had far to go to be in the Super Bowl conversation before the draft. The Saints, obviously, were one putrid non-pass-interference call away from getting to the Super Bowl last year.

And while Dallas didn't go far in last season's playoffs, there is, surprisingly, a large contingent of Cowboys believers around the league. Teams respect quarterback Dak Prescott more than many people understand. Throw in running back Ezekiel Elliott, Cooper, a good offensive line and a solid defense, and it's not hard to understand why expectations are high for Dallas.

The draft won't fix everything. The Saints need to get a little better on defense, and Jason Garrett needs to get a lot better at coaching. But this weekend may go a long way toward deciding who the final two teams playing in the NFC will be next January.

No more excuses Garrett. It's do or die.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The cowboys have been one of the best teams at drafting good players. So i trust McClays board. If they followed their board as usual then I'm good with our picks. We know they followed their board in round 3, grabbing the most talented player left instead of going for need. I think the running backs and hill will be rotational but immediate impact players.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Draft to me was a C. Not because of the players but because of what they could have done had they been a little more savvy.
They didn't even have to be savvy. All they had to do was take players that fell right in their laps.

I hate drafting for need. I hate passing on a player who's at the top of your board because the draft is deep at his position, taking a lesser player at another position and then taking a lesser player at his position later on. Makes zero sense to me. What makes even less sense is trading down and picking nine players. Who knows where Hill would have gone, and he may turn out to be a 300-lb Arron Donald, but I'd much rather have taken one of the safeties at #58 and traded up from #90 for Hill, at the cost of one or two of five players who were never going to make the roster anyway. I like McGovern and as always I'm gonna root hard for Hill, but I like the idea of rooting for Hill and Rapp or Thornhill a lot better.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
They didn't even have to be savvy. All they had to do was take players that fell right in their laps.

I hate drafting for need. I hate passing on a player who's at the top of your board because the draft is deep at his position, taking a lesser player at another position and then taking a lesser player at his position later on. Makes zero sense to me. What makes even less sense is trading down and picking nine players. Who knows where Hill would have gone, and he may turn out to be a 300-lb Arron Donald, but I'd much rather have taken one of the safeties at #58 and traded up from #90 for Hill, at the cost of one or two of five players who were never going to make the roster anyway. I like McGovern and as always I'm gonna root hard for Hill, but I like the idea of rooting for Hill and Rapp or Thornhill a lot better.
This draft just doesnt do anything for the team this year. Which if Garrett gets fired after the season I'll praise this 2020 draft lol

GMO415

Reaction score
Having a background in college academia, I question anyone who grants an "A" to so many teams. It almost appears as if every team is given an "A" until they prove otherwise.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Having a background in college academia, I question anyone who grants an "A" to so many teams. It almost appears as if every team is given an "A" until they prove otherwise.

if they were honest, I's for most teams, maybe a grade or two for really outstanding drafts, which are rare. Lets be honest, how many get the drafts wrong?

VACowboy

Reaction score
This draft just doesnt do anything for the team this year. Which if Garrett gets fired after the season I'll praise this 2020 draft lol
All depends on Hill. If Pollard is a little bit Tarik Cohen and Moore is allowed to use the toys available to him, who knows?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I don’t complain, but I do point out the habitual whiners.

tenor.gif