Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have to finish 5-1 to make playoffs.

Impossible, No. Unlikely, Yes.

I see 9-7.

Chunk it up. WAS, NY, OAK... with Lee and Hitch and Tyron back. All winnable. We might not win them all, but we could. And this team didnjust complete a three game win streak this very season, so it's not unprecedented.

That gets you to 8-6. With Elliott back and a hobbled SEA team we match well with up next. Who you got in that game?

Let week 17 take care of itself.

That might not be a likely scenario, but it's not crazy, and we both know it's definitely not "impossible." Come on, dude. You know you want to agree. Just a little bit.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Chunk it up. WAS, NY, OAK... with Lee and Hitch and Tyron back. All winnable. We might not win them all, but we could. And this team didnjust complete a three game win streak this very season, so it's not unprecedented.

That gets you to 8-6. With Elliott back and a hobbled SEA team we match well with up next. Who you got in that game?

That might not be a likely scenario, but it's not crazy, and we both know it's definitely not "impossible." Come on, dude. You know you want to agree. Just a little bit.
when zeke got suspended this teams playoff hopes were over with

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
when zeke got suspended this teams playoff hopes were over with

Nope. Though a lot of fans probably would agree with you right now.

The problem reallynisnt even Zeke. We win that ATL game with just Lee and Smith finishing the game

Sydla

Reaction score
Ha. Anything is arguable. Your position here that it ought to be popular fan sentiment that determines what's obvious because you want to dismiss the players, staff, and management. Because we all know coaches and players and owners can be wrong but the fans always get it right.

Right. Ask Bills fans how they're feeling this morning if you want a recent example of groupthink being dead wrong. What was it? 66 yards passing and 5 picks before he was benched?

It's not like there is evidence here. You want to pretend that people are just having issues with Garrett and the coaching in some sort of vacuum.

You want to tout management's belief in Garrett as proof he's quality. Except management hasn't delivered a NFC Title in over 20 years. They've been anemic in the playoffs (both in appearances and wins) since 1995. They've got a laundry list of poor hires as head coaches. So let's not act like this is irrational fandom at work here just overreacting to a franchise that has, in fact, been quite successful. They've been the opposite of successful and simply suggesting Garrett is quality because management approves him is just pure blind fandom.

The players angle is even worse because what the players feel about a coach is often meaningless because as has been suggested, there have been bad coaches who players loved and defended. Often times, if a coach treats players well, and Garrett does that, they tend to get defensive of a guy they like personally when he comes under fire. It plays out all the time.

And in reality, sometimes, the fans are actually right. They likely will be dead accurate on Garrett when all is said and done.

Sydla

Reaction score
Here is management that Idgit puts so much faith in when they tell him Garrett is really a high quality coach.

Since 1995, when the Cowboys last won a SB:

- 9 playoff appearances in 21 years
- Only 3 playoff wins in 21 years, an overall 3-9 record in the postseason.
- Zero NFC title game appearances
- 6 divisional titles
- Barely over .500 at 175 and 161

This organization has run rudderless for over 20 years.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I'm not saying anything outrageous. 5-5 teams make the playoffs sometimes. Even when some of their fans have guaranteed they won't.

And this team gets 4 allpros back at some point. And the wins of our next four opponents are 4,3,2,4. Not exactly a murderers row.

You sure?

An OL with back and groin problems.
A LB who relies on speed, quickness and anticipation with a hamstring issue.
A kicker with a groin problem.
A RB who will be back for sure but away from the team for 6 weeks.

I just don't see those first three coming back for any extended period of time. Groins and hamstrings have a way of re-aggravating, and a 300+ lb OL with back issues doesn't tyically get "better".

TheHerd

Reaction score

Again, I say it's highly doubtful Lee and Hitch and Tyron play against all three of those teams. Seems very unlikely they don't lose at least one if not all three of them again. And this coaching staff has proven it's impossible to overcome such personnel losses.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Daks progress for starters. What we are capable of with a decent staff, player development and regression are difficult to predict as well. Who would have expected this season from Dlaw? Its always been tough to analyze tomorrow, which is why there is a handful of LA Rams each season. The team will be at a cross roads at the end of this season, hopefully we make some changes.

Agreed. We have already seen that with a great supporting cast, Dak is a complete stud. No worries there.

We can also see that without Lee, this defense trash. Well I dont see Lee here past another two years tops. Without Smith this line is average at best. I dont see him here another two years if the back continues to worsen. Big issues going forward. Then we need to solve all the ones prior to that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, I say it's highly doubtful Lee and Hitch and Tyron play against all three of those teams. Seems very unlikely they don't lose at least one if not all three of them again. And this coaching staff has proven it's impossible to overcome such personnel losses.

Yeah, Hitch won't be back. And Lee will be out yet this week. I think Lee and Tyron are back after that. If Lee's not, or if Tyron goes out again, things look very different. I don't think we can win a game without either Lee or Hitch at MIKE right now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is management that Idgit puts so much faith in when they tell him Garrett is really a high quality coach.

Since 1995, when the Cowboys last won a SB:

- 9 playoff appearances in 21 years
- Only 3 playoff wins in 21 years, an overall 3-9 record in the postseason.
- Zero NFC title game appearances
- 6 divisional titles
- Barely over .500 at 175 and 161

This organization has run rudderless for over 20 years.

Don't get over your skiis, her Sydla. I mention the fact that owners, staff, players all support Garrett to highlight that I'm not as all alone in the boat as you were trying to paint me.

And I can easily point out evidence of fans panicking prematurely or blowing things out of proportion the way fans always do when things aren't going great. That doesn't get us anywhere but going in a circle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah, Hitch won't be back. And Lee will be out yet this week. I think Lee and Tyron are back after that. If Lee's not, or if Tyron goes out again, things look very different. I don't think we can win a game without either Lee or Hitch at MIKE right now.

Im glad to see you finally have enough "data" to figure this stuff out. And you called the loss prior to the game yesterday. Now just admit that Garrett needs to get fired and you will be seeing clearly.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't get over your skiis, her Sydla. I mention the fact that owners, staff, players all support Garrett to highlight that I'm not as all alone in the boat as you were trying to paint me.

And I can easily point out evidence of fans panicking prematurely or blowing things out of proportion the way fans always do when things aren't going great. That doesn't get us anywhere but going in a circle.

And once again one of your theories gets blown out of the water. Media and fans are torching Garrett everywhere like they typically do. And the players quit on Garrett yesterday. Time for your hero to get fired.

Silverstar

Reaction score
jerry-jones-laugh.jpg

Funny at first....and then your like :banghead:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Unfortunately, it seems clear that Jason Garrett doesn't really have any solutions to speak of when this team is even slightly shorthanded. And that, as this season now appears to hang by a thread, is a massive problem.

Verdict

Reaction score
Not really funny.

I say the playoffs are still an option because we're getting great players at positions of screaming need back soon *and* because there isn't a winning record on the schedule now until the game Zeke returns. If both those things weren't true, my take would probably be different.

I'm just trying to be realistic. If we get to 8-6, we probably have a shot when Elliott gets back. We might not get there. Or we could get there and lose with Zeke to two good teams. But that wasn't the question. The question was whether or not the season is done already. It's not.

I think it is realistic and fair. But we need Tyron back on Thursday, or the rest of this might be moot.

tico

Reaction score
Definitely overreacting to #4 Dakota.. sheesh some of the comments I read! I'm not saying he's Joe Montana but people think he's Ryan Leaf.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it is realistic and fair. But we need Tyron back on Thursday, or the rest of this might be moot.

I wish I could see a way to feel good about THU right now. With that edge pressure, we're dead without a LT. Dak probably won't play as poorly as he played yesterday again so soon (he looked like he did against the Giants last year yesterday). But how do you win with Hitch and Lee both out and Jaylon a liability in coverage? Rivers is going to eat that underneath up. And they've got a RB, too.

I think we're in trouble again this week.

Verdict

Reaction score
I wish I could see a way to feel good about THU right now. With that edge pressure, we're dead without a LT. Dak probably won't play as poorly as he played yesterday again so soon (he looked like he did against the Giants last year yesterday). But how do you win with Hitch and Lee both out and Jaylon a liability in coverage? Rivers is going to eat that underneath up. And they've got a RB, too.

I think we're in trouble again this week.

We have to find a way to win on Thursday even if it is on special teams or the fat lady can start warming up to sing. She is on deck right now.