Over reacting or reality setting in?

Sydla

Reaction score
Agreed. No other way to paint this. It is what it is. The sad part is, nothing is probably going to change. Even if JG was fired, does anyone have hope that JJ will bring in a real coach?

Who knows but I'd rather have the hope that we get lucky and he hires a good coach as opposed to being depressed that we are going to waste another season under this staff.

Grevus

Reaction score
I'm not ready to give up on Dak just yet, but he is on a short leash. He has to be better when called to lead the team. Can he do it without Zeke, so far it a no, but i want to see his play when Tryon gets back.

Dak is in a position he didn't have to deal with last year. These last 2 games he's been asked to do more with less. I expected a drop in production. THis issues isn't just on Dak, but on the coaching staff itself. The entire scheme is based use the run to setup the pass. No team is scared of our run game without Zeke. We make it easy on Defense. Stack the box, play man coverage. We don't have the OL of last year, No Zeke, Possession WRs with no deep threat, and unimaginative play calling. If Wentz was the starting QB, I think we see a very similar result. Dak didn't play great, but I'm not ready to give up either.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
I predicted 41-17 and that it would be the low point of the Garrett era. Alas, I was correct. First time for everything.

This is not a playoff team right now. Good defenses easily shut down this offense without Zeke, and good offenses eventually get to 30. The KC result was a mirage, as the best victory this team has is the 33-19 win at Washington - a 4-6 team that has their fans just as frustrated as us if not more so after that collapse to the Saints yesterday.

I've been a Garrett supporter, but it's waning now. The only problem is I'm not sure who's out there and available that's better. For every Sean McVay there's 10 Gus Bradleys.

"Hot Coordinator Route" (some of whom are retreads) - Who?
Philly D Cord: Jim Schwartz? No thanks. He was terrible as a HC. Would be more of a retread. And as we saw, Philly's got way more talent.
Philly O Cord: Frank Reich? Doesn't call the plays, and has a shoddy record at various spots.
Minn O Cord: Pat Schurmur? I don't know. He did win 4 and 5 games with Cleveland in 2011/12 so maybe that's the equivalent of winning 10 games elsewhere?
Pitt O Cord: Todd Haley? Failed in KC, and has had issues with Ben as well as the coaching staff. No thanks,
Sea O Cord: Darrell Bevell? Intriguing, but is responsible for arguably the single worst play call in the history of the NFL
Jax D Coord: Todd Wash? Intriguing. Never been a HC, but hard to argue with the results this year. Lots more talent on that side of the ball in Jax, though.
SD D Cord: Gus Bradley? Maybe not a good HC and just a good coordinator like Wade.

Retreads:
Jon Gruden? He's not working for Jerry.
Bill Cowher? DItto.
Mike Shanahan? Hahaha.
Anyone else?

College, most of whom fail.
Jim Harbaugh if you can lure him away from MI (root for OSU this w/e), but not sure he'd want to work with Jerry
David Shaw doesn't seem to want to leave College
Nick Saban ain't leaving Bama
Dabo Sweeney is college coach.
So is Urban Meyer.

So as much as Garrett has been a train wreck the last two weeks (and many would say for much longer), who out there is a realistic option that's better, would work with Jerry and available? I just don't know.

Stoops?

Bigdog

Reaction score
I know it is the day after a blowout but I am reminded that it is not where you start but where you finish the season. Hopefully we can be the last team standing at the end.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Our 5 wins:

49ers 1-9
Giants 2-8
Cardinals 4-6
Commanders 4-6
Chiefs 6-4 * only impressive win, looks less impressive after they lost to the Giants

We got destroyed by the 3-7 Broncos and 5-4 Falcons. We lost home games where we once led against the Rams, Packers, and Eagles.

We're getting owned in the second halves.

I don't know how much worse Jason Garrett and his staff have to perform for everyone to get the message that this isn't working.

I don't know how much worse these defensive players have to play before someone finally decides to do something about it.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
Plus I think Dez is more injured than he or the coaching staff want to admit. He looks like something is slowing him down.

His subpar route running is what's slowing him down. I don't think he's looked any different, physically, than he was in the Romo years. Dez was never a good route runner, but he made up for it by being a great 50/50 ball receiver and a great red zone threat. But now that we don't have Romo back there throwing accurate fade and go routes, he's become very average. Dak is flat-out inaccurate in the pocket, and he struggles to throw the sideline go routes with any accuracy.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It's not waving pom poms. We're 5-5 with six to go. It is what it is. You can't guarantee anything. You can say it, but it won't make it so. Just like people guaranteeing we lost the division at 2-3. It just has to play out.

What's worse, we're probably going to get smoked on THU, too.

But I won't consider the season over until we get that 7th loss. I consider that more realistic than chasing in after 5 or 3, or whatever it was.
So you won’t throw in the towel until we lose our 7th game?

Don’t worry, with Garrett at head coach you will not have to wait very long.

Preoccupied

Reaction score
Are we over reacting to this loss or is reality setting in? I think it is the latter.

We have had a abundance of roller coaster rides with this team since 1995. I have seen a lot of different cowboy realities play out.

Why overreact when this is the previous chapter saying "Hi im back again " from a one of them mediocre seasons.......

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can disagree all you want. Garrett is not the answer as head coach. It becomes more and more obvious as time goes on.

But I'll give you credit for sticking to your guns. It's admirable despite being totally misguided.

Thanks. We'll agree to disagree then about the coach. And about me and the management and the players and the staff being totally misguided about him.

At some point, if the beat downs continue everybody else will get their wish, I'm sure. It doesn't sound like we're close to that pint yet to me.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand what you're saying, and as always, I will root for this team till the last whistle of the final game. But just wonder if we lose out or lose 4 more, if we'll be better off in the long run. To me it's all about coaching at this point, it's undisputable, and it's got to be bad/embarrassing for Jerry to make a move.

We can disagree on the causes of the problems. I agree that, if we lose out or lose multiple games by a beat down in this stretch then the coaching staff might become part of the problem. Teams can like a guy and not play hard for him, as we've seen.

But that's borrowing trouble right now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the point being made is Idgit thinks this team is still a playoff capable team. So to say that he expected them to get destroyed by Philly (and now apparently lose to the Chargers) but then still talk about them being in the playoff chase is kind of funny.

Not really funny.

I say the playoffs are still an option because we're getting great players at positions of screaming need back soon *and* because there isn't a winning record on the schedule now until the game Zeke returns. If both those things weren't true, my take would probably be different.

I'm just trying to be realistic. If we get to 8-6, we probably have a shot when Elliott gets back. We might not get there. Or we could get there and lose with Zeke to two good teams. But that wasn't the question. The question was whether or not the season is done already. It's not.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thanks. We'll agree to disagree then about the coach. And about me and the management and the players and the staff being totally misguided about him.

At some point, if the beat downs continue everybody else will get their wish, I'm sure. It doesn't sound like we're close to that pint yet to me.

For starters, this "management" team hasn't sniffed a NFC Title game since the mid 90s. They also have a nice list of failed coaches they have hired. So frankly, the fact management likes Garrett isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

And the players feelings on a coach are pointless. Lots of bad coaches had players that like them. Players love the Colts coach and he's terrible.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you won’t throw in the towel until we lose our 7th game?

Don’t worry, with Garrett at head coach you will not have to wait very long.

Cool. We'll be in agreement at that point then.

Though I'll still think you're a dude who couldn't hold your water long enough. :)

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
It's not waving pom poms. We're 5-5 with six to go. It is what it is. You can't guarantee anything. You can say it, but it won't make it so. Just like people guaranteeing we lost the division at 2-3. It just has to play out.

What's worse, we're probably going to get smoked on THU, too.

But I won't consider the season over until we get that 7th loss. I consider that more realistic than chasing in after 5 or 3, or whatever it was.

We have to finish 5-1 to make playoffs.

Impossible, No. Unlikely, Yes.

I see 9-7.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For starters, this "management" team hasn't sniffed a NFC Title game since the mid 90s. They also have a nice list of failed coaches they have hired. So frankly, the fact management likes Garrett isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

And the players feelings on a coach are pointless. Lots of bad coaches had players that like them. Players love the Colts coach and he's terrible.

Ha. Anything is arguable. Your position here that it ought to be popular fan sentiment that determines what's obvious because you want to dismiss the players, staff, and management. Because we all know coaches and players and owners can be wrong but the fans always get it right.

Right. Ask Bills fans how they're feeling this morning if you want a recent example of groupthink being dead wrong. What was it? 66 yards passing and 5 picks before he was benched?