Owen Schmitt

sago1

Reaction score
If Schmitt is the BPA in the 4th round when we draft, I'd have no problem with that pick. However, this is a good draft and they will be some really good players on "need" positions (like maybe an ILB or an OL) which we can use to better advantage then Schmitt.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1948959 said:
Whatever theo. i realize you like your pet cat but thats just silly. Anderson was playing well, getting push on his blocks and was excellent in ST and in the passing game.
No, he didn't block well. For the most part he just got in the way and didn't get much push at all.

I love your 'I saw Shmitt catch a ball' thing but the guy hasnt caught more than 12 balls a year and having played at WV is going to be as green as grass in pass protection. We do have Garrett as our OC.
Schmitt caught 1.5 balls per start in college. Deon Anderson caught 2.0 balls per start in college. The idea that Schmitt didn't catch many balls compared to Anderson isn't going anywhere. But it is a nice attempt at a statistical analysis for you. Just appears that sort of thing isn't your strong suit.

And Schmitt is leagues ahead of Anderson in terms of blocking. And let's not even get into athleticism. Schmitt would run circles around Anderson.

5th round fine other than that youre just asking for Fasano 2.
This doesn't even make sense.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1948973 said:
No, he didn't block well. For the most part he just got in the way and didn't get much push at all.

Thats a load of crap. Towards the beginning of the year he was tenative on who to block and wasnt arriving to his man with as much power as he should. As the year came along, so did Anderson. Vela would talk at length about it and how he was blowing up LBers. Ill take Vela's analysis and my own eyes over your hyperble.

Schmitt caught 1.5 balls per start in college. Deon Anderson caught 2.0 balls per start in college. The idea that Schmitt didn't catch many balls compared to Anderson isn't going anywhere. But it is a nice attempt at a statistical analysis for you. Just appears that sort of thing isn't your strong suit.

Are you daft? Since when is a 33% overage not statistically significant? Give me a break.

Additionally I invite you to look at their senior years where Anderson caught almost twice as many balls as Schmitt. Then of course there is special teams where ours took a noticeable hit with Anderson out.

And Schmitt is leagues ahead of Anderson in terms of blocking. And let's not even get into athleticism. Schmitt would run circles around Anderson.

Ill wait to see how he does at the combine rather than go with the theo school of hyperbole. ill wait to see how he does when he has to block in an NFL offense before i go with the theo school of talking out your backside.

This doesn't even make sense.

Only if you have no concept of relativity. I mentioned before that we have Garrett as our OC for very good reason. Were a passing team and your pet cat would be more of a liability on that regard then Anderson was this past year. That means he is going to be in the same boat as Fasano was his first year after they scrapped the 2 TE system.

if you want to spend a high draft pick at a guy who even if he is as good as the hyperbole will only see the field on shortyardage and goalline then im just going to have to disagree with that notion.

in the later rounds fine but we dont need a fullback at all.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1948982 said:
Thats a load of crap. Towards the beginning of the year he was tenative on who to block and wasnt arriving to his man with as much power as he should. As the year came along, so did Anderson. Vela would talk at length about it and how he was blowing up LBers. Ill take Vela's analysis and my own eyes over your hyperble.

Are you daft? Since when is a 25% overage not statistically significant? Give me a break.

Additionally I invite you to look at their senior years where Anderson caught almost twice as many balls as Schmitt. Then of course there is special teams where ours took a noticeable hit with Anderson out.

Ill wait to see how he does at the combine rather than go with the theo school of hyperbole. ill wait to see how he does when he has to block in an NFL offense before i go with the theo school of talking out your backside.

Only if you have no concept of relativity. I mentioned before that we have Garrett as our OC for very good reason. Were a passing team and your pet cat would be more of a liability on that regard then Anderson was this past year. That means he is going to be in the same boat as Fasano was his first year after they scrapped the 2 TE system.

if you want to spend a high draft pick at a guy who even if he is as good as the hyperbole will only see the field on shortyardage and goalline then im just going to have to disagree with that notion.

in the later rounds fine but we dont need a fullback at all.

This whole argument is whether or not the need for an upgrade outweighs Anderson's effectiveness. There's no question Schmitt is a better prospect.

The question is do we need a fullback bad enough or would the value be there to draft Schmitt in the premium rounds. The answer is no.

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
CATCH17;1948847 said:
I found out yesterday Rachel Ray is a Commanders fan.

It really put a damper on my weekend :(

108272543-L.jpg

That just hurts me.

I feel your pain bro....She WAS so close to perfect....:(

CM Duck

I'm breaking the 4th wall...
Reaction score
Future;1948923 said:
The fact that our offense hardly uses a FB makes me very hesitant to waste a pick in the top 4 rounds or so on one.

the reason our offense hardly uses a FB is probably because there is not one on the roster that is good enough....I'm just sayin

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1948954 said:
Inconclusive evidence!!!!:mad::mad::mad::skins:

Oh because Schmitt is the 2nd coming of Moose???

Yeah... Who knows maybe that photo is 10 seconds before she started hitting the Commanders fans instead.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;1948805 said:
Why does every1 want him drafted we drafted a FB last year 2 years of use drafting a fullback the thought of it makes me want to play russian roullete with a fully loaded pistol but i digress why does every1 want us to draft him?

It's pretty stupid in my opinion. If Anderson comes back and progresses like he probably should, Dallas has a nice duo of Anderson and Hoyte at a position that's not THAT important in the game.

With Anderson they get a guy who can run block a little and is just enough of a threat as a receiver to keep defenses honest. Dallas can put him in motion next year in order to help tip the defense's hand if they are going man-to-man or zone coverage and occasionally take a LB out of the play. Both are things that offenses like Garrett's usually like to do.

But if we want to out-physical a defense, we can then insert Hoyte and do that. Outside of Hoyte needing to get a little better on special teams and Anderson's health (he should be back fine), I don't see the need to look fullback in the draft.

YAKUZA

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander;1948952 said:
This philosophy is flawless, but there are so many other positions on this team that could use the same opportunity for improvement.

Unless the offense relies heavily on the fullback, there is no reason to make a player like this a priority. From what I have observed it does not.

If we draft this player, I will be very disappointed. Not because he is not a good player, but that he will be drafted fairly high and that means we have to put off a more legitimate issue.
I wonder if RBs like Emmitt Smith or LaDanian Tomlinson would agree with you? To me short yardage and goal line situations are so critical that you can't underscore the value of a FB enough. I don't care if he is used only 10 plays per game, if on those 10 plays we have a significant advantage, money well spent. A guy like Schmitt makes Barber even more dangerous and I can't think of one bad thing about that.

Oh, and Schmitt also has lined up as a TE. Versatility counts too.

I seem to remember that you didn't like the drafting of Folk either and until we let go of Grammatica had the opinion that a rookie kicker couldn't get the job done.

Perhaps if we do spend an early pick on Schmitt you'd have another epiphany? Ya never know.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Hostile;1949114 said:
I wonder if RBs like Emmitt Smith or LaDanian Tomlinson would agree with you? To me short yardage and goal line situations are so critical that you can't underscore the value of a FB enough. I don't care if he is used only 10 plays per game, if on those 10 plays we have a significant advantage, money well spent. A guy like Schmitt makes Barber even more dangerous and I can't think of one bad thing about that.

Oh, and Schmitt also has lined up as a TE. Versatility counts too.

Oh god not you too.

So basically youre saying that for maybe 5 plays a game or so we should put this up with RB, WR, ILB, CB or other positions that are important for 50 plays a game? And hes only going to be able to play on obvious running downs because coming from the offense that he did at WV where they ran the ball 3 times more than they passed it hes going to be green as grass in the passing game.

Essentially what youre saying is that we should scuttle Hoyte for this guy and the way i look at it is:

Hurd/Austin -------> Day 1 WR
Big gaping hole ------> Day 1 RB
Ayodele/Burnett -------> Day 1 ILB
Reeves/Ball -----------> Day 1 CB
Hoyte ------------> Day 1 FB

Woods

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1949136 said:
Oh god not you too.

So basically youre saying that for maybe 5 plays a game or so we should put this up with RB, WR, ILB, CB or other positions that are important for 50 plays a game? And hes only going to be able to play on obvious running downs because coming from the offense that he did at WV where they ran the ball 3 times more than they passed it hes going to be green as grass in the passing game.

Essentially what youre saying is that we should scuttle Hoyte for this guy and the way i look at it is:

But assume for a minute that we pick up a veteran FA WR.

We take a CB and maybe even another WR in the first, and a RB in the 2nd.

It's not out of the question to take a player like Schmitt in the 3rd round, and pick up a LB in the 4th.

BigDave95

Reaction score
speedkilz88;1948817 said:
Probably because he's the best FB to come out in years.

Ridiculous. He's not even the best FB this year.

Deon Anderson can do everything Schmitt does. If we even consider drafting a FB, it should be Peyton Hillis... a player that brings another dimension to the position.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
BigDave95;1949145 said:

Deon Anderson can do everything Schmitt does. If we even consider drafting a FB, it should be Peyton Hillis... a player that brings another dimension to the position.

But does Hills take of his helmet and beat himself in the head with it when he screws up?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BigDave95;1949145 said:

I think Schmitt is better than Anderson with the ball in his hands.

Without the ball in his hands though is all I care about.

BigDave95

Reaction score
CATCH17;1949151 said:
I think Schmitt is better than Anderson with the ball in his hands.

Without the ball in his hands though is all I care about.

Schmitt is probably better than Anderson at most everything. But the difference is slight.

Hillis is significantly better than both of them at receiving out of the backfield and would bring another dimension to the offense. He's the only FB worthy of a draft pick.

Alexander

Reaction score
BigDave95;1949164 said:
Schmitt is probably better than Anderson at most everything. But the difference is slight.

Hillis is significantly better than both of them at receiving out of the backfield and would bring another dimension to the offense. He's the only FB worthy of a draft pick.

I am pleased you mentioned Hillis. He is the multi-purpose fullback some imagine Schmitt is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;1949182 said:
I am pleased you mentioned Hillis. He is the multi-purpose fullback some imagine Schmitt is.
Hes just not the same punishing blocker that Schmitt is.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1949136 said:

Looking at it like that convinces me we need a WR 1st, only because the rb's are sooo deep this year...

Alexander

Reaction score
theogt;1949262 said:
Hes just not the same punishing blocker that Schmitt is.

Looks like the results McFadden and Felix Jones enjoyed speak for themselves.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;1948847 said:
I found out yesterday Rachel Ray is a Commanders fan.

It really put a damper on my weekend :(

That just hurts me.

she's a little piggy anyways

theo, did Deon eat your pet cricket or something?