Owen Schmitt

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1949114 said:
To me short yardage and goal line situations are so critical that you can't underscore the value of a FB enough.

since when does Barbero have trouble getting short-yardage, esp. in the goalline? we've been a top 5 offense in the red-zone these past 2 years

the love for Schmitt is crazy, there are going to be alot of very unhappy people come draft day

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;1948877 said:
i don't know how to judge fullbacks or what you want from the FB position besides being a good lead blocker. The FB position is a dying position and to keep investing picks into this position is pointless. I think people feel Schimdtt is going to be the next MOose for us so they want him

Isn't it possible that the position is not used as much because there is no one at the position worth using much?

I don't think Dallas ran more two-tight end sets because Jason Garrett wanted to, but because we had two tight ends better than either fullback.

I don't mind the two-tight end set, but neither tight end can lead block like Schmitt or Peyton Hillis and neither tight end can run the ball like Schmitt or Hillis. And both are quality receivers.

So, by drafting one of those two guys you resuscitate a dying position and make it one that has more value than what you can get from using a second tight end more.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
GiadaLaurentiis.jpg

>

Rachel Ray.

She just looks "smart."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gimmesix;1949450 said:
Isn't it possible that the position is not used as much because there is no one at the position worth using much?

or maybe Barbero runs better out of a one-back set?

gimmesix said:
I don't mind the two-tight end set, but neither tight end can lead block like Schmitt or Peyton Hillis and neither tight end can run the ball like Schmitt or Hillis. And both are quality receivers.

pss, they don't run the ball like Schmitt and Hillis because they are TEs, and don't have the center of gravity to block like them either, but Witten and Fasano are pretty good blockers, they are not hindering our offense's ability to run the ball

gimmesix said:
So, by drafting one of those two guys you resuscitate a dying position and make it one that has more value than what you can get from using a second tight end more.

you can do so many things w/ a 2-TE offense, you can get way more value out of that than you would w/ a 2-back one, esp. when both TEs are very good receivers, and blockers

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Schmitt >>>>>> Hillis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any fullback on our roster.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
gimmesix;1949450 said:

I don't think Dallas ran more two-tight end sets because Jason Garrett wanted to, but because we had two tight ends better than either fullback.

im sorry but this is getting ********.

WE ARE A PASSING OFFENSE.

TE ARE MORE SUITED FOR A PASSING OFFENSE THEN FB.

SCHMITT COMES FROM A PROGRAM WHERE THEY RAN THE BALL 75% OF THE TIME.

This is all before you even consider how far along Anderson was coming along. Its certainly not like they were trying to hide him while he was healthy. Its just that given the type of offense we run a receiver up near the LOS at the end of the line is much more of a receiving threat than a FB who is lined up 4 yards back behind the center or guard.

This really is reminding me of the hoopla over Jamar Martin. This isnt the ACC.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1949460 said:
you can do so many things w/ a 2-TE offense, you can get way more value out of that than you would w/ a 2-back one, esp. when both TEs are very good receivers, and blockers

I don't buy it. If you have a fullback who can block, carry the ball and catch out of the backfield in addition to being split out at receiver, I see more versatility in that than in a tight end you can put in the backfield and motion out.

gimmesix

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1949500 said:
im sorry but this is getting ********.

WE ARE A PASSING OFFENSE.

TE ARE MORE SUITED FOR A PASSING OFFENSE THEN FB.

SCHMITT COMES FROM A PROGRAM WHERE THEY RAN THE BALL 75% OF THE TIME.

Doesn't matter if we're a passing offense. The threat of a fullback who can run with the ball or catch the ball out of the backfield only adds to what we can do in the passing and running game.

Do you think that you can't use a fullback in a passing offense?

I don't believe for a second that Dallas used two tight ends because it was a "passing offense," but only because the tight ends were better than the fullbacks. Garrett even stated his preference for the fullback position when he was hired.

Now, I don't know as much about Schmitt's receiving ability as Hillis', but I certainly see nothing in Hillis that would hinder our passing game and plenty that would help it.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gimmesix;1949544 said:
I don't buy it. If you have a fullback who can block, carry the ball and catch out of the backfield in addition to being split out at receiver, I see more versatility in that than in a tight end you can put in the backfield and motion out.

2 TEs we're talking about here, and 2 guys who can give you at least 10 yard options while the FB is only going to give you a max of 10 yards

and having TEs, means you can line up one of them to the side of your #1 WR, to open up some space for him

you can do so much more w/ a 2-TE offense than you can w/ a 2-back one

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gimmesix;1949547 said:
Doesn't matter if we're a passing offense. The threat of a fullback who can run with the ball or catch the ball out of the backfield only adds to what we can do in the passing and running game

Deon Anderson can do all those things

is Schmitt that great of an improvement that he's going to be worth a 3rd? not a chance in hell

at best he's going to be the 3rd rushing option, 6th receiving option, at BEST

again, alot of people are going to be downcast come April 29th, unless one of the 2 drops to the 6th round, and we maybe take him there

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
gimmesix;1949450 said:
:hammer:
I believe you identified the crux of the issue. Deon & Hoyte are one dimensional. Deon is a better receiver out of the backfield & Hoyte is the better pass/lead blocker. Neither are playmakers, or as talented as Hillis or Schmitt.

gimmesix;1949450 said:

I agree. Garrett knows how successful an offense can be w/a playmaking FB. If Garrett had a playmaking FB, he would have that position involved in more plays. At the same time, Garrett may also be warming up to the advantages of the 2-TE sets, especially in the redzone with the success of Tony Curtis.

gimmesix;1949450 said:

Again, I agree. But here is where we may disagree. Drafting Hillis or Schmitt may not be good value. FB was not a key problem for the Cowboys last season. There are other more important positions that will need the pick required to take either of those players. And while either Schmitt or Hillis may be upgrades, neither are complete NFL caliber FBs, especially for our current offensive scheme. While Schmitt is a much better lead blocker than Hillis or Hoyte/Anderson, he is not as good a pass catcher or runner as Hillis. And Hillis is more a Brian Leonard-lite, as he may be more suited to a one back set rather than a NFL FB due to his lack of bulk (235 lbs). Biggest knock against Hillis is that it may take a mid round pick to draft him. Love Schmitt's toughness but while he is bigger and packs a wallop his ability to play TE at next level, even sparingly, is doubtful. Not great in-line blocker and while he is big for a FB, still small for a NFL TE (right around 250 lbs).

IMO, the better option would be West Texas A&M's TE, Kolo Kapanui. Kapanui's versatility should be give Garrett the best of both worlds_a playmaking TE & FB. Plus the flexibility to move Kapanui around to confuse D's. Kapanui is much more polished receiver than either Hillis or Schmitt. He is a much better in-line blocker and he also has good success running the ball and lead blocking (was the RB in the 2 pt sets). Has much better size (6'3 270lbs) and similar speed (4.67) to both Hillis and Schmitt. His small school competition will drop him to the late 2nd day, but he was a blue chipper who went to USC before injuries and off field issues forced him to change schools, so the talent is there.

Cowboys should have the ability to get the complete 411 on this kid since he plays practically in their backyard. [/COLOR]

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
All of a sudden the guy who handles the lead of the wedge on KR isnt a good blocker. he was blowing people up before he got hurt.

The funny thing is that you call Schmitt a complete back and yet hes never caught more than 12 balls in his career. Oh and you want to take carries away from Barber and the back we pick?

He would only ever see the field on obvious running downs becasue he is going to be about as green as humanly possible in the passing game. The team ran the ball 75% of the time. There is no way possible that hell have experience,

heck I doubt he even beats Andersons 4.7 40 time. i swear this guy is the most overrated RB since Jamar Martin. You guys couldnt understand why that guy never saw the field either.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1949269 said:
Looking at it like that convinces me we need a WR 1st, only because the rb's are sooo deep this year...

Surely that's not the conclusion that Fuzzy meant for you to come to. :laugh2:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
peplaw06;1949582 said:
Surely that's not the conclusion that Fuzzy meant for you to come to. :laugh2:

All that other stuff was just to fuzzy:rolleyes:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Hostile;1948876 said:
There is no position on the team where we should ever pass up the opportunity to improve if the player who can be that improvement is there. I like Anderson, but if we can get better, he can be a backup and a ST guy. I am fine with that.

Better option means better team and that is the goal. Always.

Yes, don't pass up good opportunities.
The question is, how high a draft pick would you give up for this good opportunity, and at what cost to immediate needs.

:)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander;1949280 said:
Looks like the results McFadden and Felix Jones enjoyed speak for themselves.
What's more likely? They're first round picks because they're that talented or they're first round picks because of who their fullback was?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1949573 said:
All of a sudden the guy who handles the lead of the wedge on KR isnt a good blocker. he was blowing people up before he got hurt.
Anderson didn't blow a soul up before he was put on IR. The guy is soft. SOFT!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tomson75;1949491 said:
Schmitt >>>>>> Hillis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any fullback on our roster.
Anyone that even remotely has a clue agrees with this. Fuzzy, as usual, has no clue.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theogt;1949608 said:
Anderson didn't blow a soul up before he was put on IR. The guy is soft. SOFT!

Whatever. i saw him stone many a LB. i still think its funny that youre trying to tout that the guy who was front and center in the wedge cannot block but you keep thinking that. Im going to laugh when schmitt runs his 4.8 and goes in the middle rounds.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1949624 said:
Whatever. i saw him stone many a LB.
No you didn't.

i still think its funny that youre trying to tout that the guy who was front and center in the wedge cannot block but you keep thinking that. Im going to laugh when schmitt runs his 4.8 and goes in the middle rounds.
Laugh all you want. YOu're still an idiot who couldn't spot talent if it bit him on the nose.

PS, I've had a lot of Scotch to drink. Have a nice night.