Owens to be released Thursday

1fisher

Reaction score
Alexander said:
The media has changed since even the 1990s.

You probably would have heard the same innuendo out of Irvin's mouth had the circumstances been different.

Back then, you did not hear about things the instant they happen. That creates a firestorm and media spin becomes reality.

TO = :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

I'll be glad when this thing is over one way or another..... this board has gone to pot over this discussion. I don't think either side (for/against TO) is going to persuade the other to change their stand. Hopefully this crap will end soon enough....... I just hope the "I told you so" crowd doesn't rear it's ugly head. I suspect it will.... the chest pounders usually don't know when to shut up!!!!!!

Please say NO to TO!:D

1fisher

Reaction score
menace said:
It is funny to hear you guys talk about getting TO. I remember reading you guys always bash TO for the stunts that he would pull. I remember when he disrespected you guys in your own stadium when he was with the 49ers (standing in the middle of the star). You guys seem to forget that the man has single handely destroyed two team lockerooms. This is the man you want on your team! Pathetic.

don't lump me in there with "you Guys"...... check the record sonny! I'm not one of them!:D

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
1fisher said:
TO = :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse:

I'll be glad when this thing is over one way or another..... this board has gone to pot over this discussion. I don't think either side (for/against TO) is going to persuade the other to change their stand. Hopefully this crap will end soon enough....... I just hope the "I told you so" crowd doesn't rear it's ugly head. I suspect it will.... the chest pounders usually don't know when to shut up!!!!!!

Please say NO to TO!:D

:laugh2:

No, I see many more hysterical romantics crying about what scum he is, how he "desecrated the star!" and how they would stop being fans if he were signed than I see "chest pounders". And there is also the "you are not a real fan if you want TO" crowd as well. Hilarious.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
AlexanderYou beat two of the weakest playoff teams that I have ever seen. Minnesota and Atlanta were nothing compared the Rams said:
Did you not have the same opportunity?

Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Corey Simon, Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter and Brian Westbrook were all contract issues. The organization played hard ball with each and every one.

Each issue had a personality of it's own; TOs notwithstanding.

The Eagles mishandled all of them, but they took care of the lapdog.

I find it difficult to respond intelligently without having to sith through your harsh referral to the "leader" of the offensive squad. So I'll pass.

So why was Trotter openly supporting Owens if he was nothing but a selfish player?

Trotter is a team player ...hence his support is not A-typical! Trotter assumed a role of "peace-maker" largely for the greater good of the team. That said, TO has had a reputation that pre-dates his donning an Eagles uniform.

If you believe a team with Freddie Mitchell and Todd Pinkston competes with that Patriot team in the Super Bowl, then you are deranged.

I'm not deranged; nor do I think you are simply because you see this differently! Sure -- we could have won against the Patriots! McNabb may Not have played his "A" game, but the Patriots made less mistakes and won the game. If you recall, we only lost by a few points ...with Pinkston and Mitchell ...and of course the rest of the team.

No just a talent that can help us try to achieve a goal, which is first make the playoffs and second achieve once we are in the tournament.

I'm not disputing any of that! Indeed, if you accomplish that; it won't be because of TO, it will be because of the entire team effort.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
His history is that he is an insufferable cad and a drama queen. It is also his history that he works hard and prepares for every game and is passionate. Put Michael Irvin on both San Francisco and Philadelphia, you probably see the same reaction to both situations. One instance was a wimpy system QB who did not have a winning bone in his body. The other was a sell-out lapdog to management who had issues winning the game when the pressure was on. Michael Irvin would have ripped them both as well. Put a stand up leader at QB with Owens and I believe his tone changes dramatically.
I don't believe Michael Irvin would throw his QB under the bus. I just don't.

Much like a junkyard dog that needs to be taught who is boss, so goes Terrell IMO. That's why Michael Irvin fed him the Brett Favre line. That wasn't an accident. Is Bledsoe that type? I think he could be. He certainly isn't a wimp or a company man/sell out.
How do you teach a prima donna that? Like McNabb or not, the guy deserved better. Same with Andy Reid.

Given Jeff Garcia's issues post-SF, I think Owens was justified. Mariucci was running a loose ship and he got fired in Detroit also. And look at the complaints Greg Knapp is getting now from Michael Vick. He was also part of the problem with the 49ers. That whole organization was terrible from the Yorks on down.
There's an old saying...

"If you work for a man, in heaven's name work for him. Don't disaparage or demean him in any way. If you simply can't stand it, move on. Once you are gone, damn to your hearts content."

I don't care if a player gripes afterwords. It is the public drama queeen stuff that iritates me and gets under my skin.

Michael Irvin embracing Owens brings me to the conclusion that they are birds of a feather. And if you were asking me if I would take a Playmaker on this team right now? You are absolutely right I would.
Michael said he would never bash his QB. I believe him. he said TO was dead wrong on that. He's right.

I've never said TO isn't a great talent. He is. I just think his history is as significant as his talent.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:

No, I see many more hysterical romantics crying about what scum he is, how he "desecrated the star!" and how they would stop being fans if he were signed than I see "chest pounders". And there is also the "you are not a real fan if you want TO" crowd as well. Hilarious.
I can get past the star and the TD celebrations. I'm not interested in the drama that has nothign to do with the game and tears the locker room apart.

ravidubey

Reaction score
I can't stand it when people talk about TO's "history" like it's some tanglible curse hanging off him.

Did TO ruin the San Francisco organization? Absolutely not. Their owner York has done a fine job of that, crippling the team financially and signing some bad coaches.

Was TO responsible for Philly's fall? Of course not. He did not play defense nor did he physically injure Donovan McNabb.

TO asked for more money and Philly didn't know how to handle it. TO threatened to hold out, but in actuality did not. Philadelphia suspended TO AFTER their season had already started on serious shaky ground. In hindsight they should have just ignored TO's off-field comments, but they got caught up in the media hoopla.

TO's guilty of calling out his QB. So what? A real team has the management and leadership structure in place to readily handle such things.

What did TO say about McNabb anyway-- that he sucked in the Superbowl and that if he wasn't injured Philadelphia would have a better record. And that destroyed the Philly organization, created a 6-10 record, caused a recession, destroyed free will, capitalism, and the government, and started Armageddon? Boo freaking hoo.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I don't believe Michael irvin would throw his QB under the bus. I just don't.

Michael Irvin always had a standup leader like Troy Aikman. Not a media darling excuse-making victim like Donovan McNabb or an effiminate loser like Jeff Garcia. I believe it's pretty easy for him to say. He had it very very easy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Michael Irvin always had a standup leader like Troy Aikman. Not a media darling excuse-making victim like Donovan McNabb or an effiminate loser like Jeff Garcia. I believe it's pretty easy for him to say. He had it very very easy.
He didn't campaign in public for his college teammate Walsh over Aikman.

Like Michael and his histrionics or not, the guy did not drag teammates through the gutter regardless of their talent level.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I can get past the star and the TD celebrations. I'm not interested in the drama that has nothign to do with the game and tears the locker room apart.

What drama?

Contract haggling? That occurs all the time. It is just that nobody is a bigger magnet for attention than Owens.

Again, the locker room getting torn apart was more about exposing sores that normally would remain hidden. And for that, he is wrong.

He may act the fool, but he is a businessman. I doubt he makes the same mistakes in an environment that first he knows is probably his last chance and second there is a clear and established leadership hierarchy.

I am positive there are more than enough strong personalities in Dallas to keep him in line and that starts with the head coach. It is all up to Coach Parcells. If anyone can handle Owens, it is him. And if he deems it worth the risk, I trust his judgement far more than some fan on a message board.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
phillycowboyslover said:
with no CBA i don't think we can afford him even if we did want him.

That said ...you'd better believe that TO is fully aware that you need him far more than he needs you. That's a win-win situation for TOs cause; he'll go for the team that offers the highest dollars.

1fisher

Reaction score
Alexander said:

I'll be glad when it stops!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Were it not for McNabb's choke in the Super Bowl, he could easily could have one ring.

Why should we sign any talented player and believe they could get us to the Super Bowl if they are minus the rings. If Randy Moss were free, would we have to shy away because he doesn't fit the ring requirement?

Exactly! TO in his first year was a piece to the missing puzzle and Eagles SHOULD HAVE won that SB. The Pats were ready to fall. Didnt Vinatieri miss a few kicks too(but not last one hehehe)

Eagles should have won SB. The Owens experiment would have worked. It would have been a success.

Who knows maybe McFlabb threw the SB because he knew it was gonna be about TO and his rehab. McNabb probably couldnt handle THAT!

"Chunky" Conspiracy....hmmm...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
What drama?

Contract haggling? That occurs all the time. It is just that nobody is a bigger magnet for attention than Owens.

Again, the locker room getting torn apart was more about exposing sores that normally would remain hidden. And for that, he is wrong.

He may act the fool, but he is a businessman. I doubt he makes the same mistakes in an environment that first he knows is probably his last chance and second there is a clear and established leadership hierarchy.

I am positive there are more than enough strong personalities in Dallas to keep him in line and that starts with the head coach. It is all up to Coach Parcells. If anyone can handle Owens, it is him. And if he deems it worth the risk, I trust his judgement far more than some fan on a message board.
I love how that line is always thrown out. Like it is some kind of cutting remark to put someone in their place.

Coaches, even the almighty himself, Bill Parcells, make bad personnel calls. Excuse me if I don't genuflect and strip gears changing my opinions.

I support the organization, even when I don't agree with their every move and decision. Something about having a mind of my own appeals to me.

Would Owens make the same mistakes? I don't know that, and quite frankly (apologies to Steven A. Smith for the theft of his line), neither does anyone else on this forum, or out there breathing air somewhere else. I don't believe in omniscience in human beings. Never have, and never will, until I see some psychic predicting every lottery drawing from now until they tell him/her not to play.

Owens is no spring chicken, and though he's in fantastic shape, he's still on the downhill slide, but wanting to be paid like the best days are still ahead. I'm not that interested in paying him for what he accomplished in the dungeons of San Francisco and Philadelphia. I'm interested in what he can offer Dallas. It is just as likely he can offer heartburn and heartache as it is he can offer much needed heart to our offense.

From my vantage point (And I acknowledge it is mine alone, independant of Bill Parcells superior intellect) the potential risk outweighs the potential rewards. Call me crazy but I don't cherish the idea of "I told you so's" if this guy is signed and melts down yet again here.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Exactly! TO in his first year was a piece to the missing puzzle and Eagles SHOULD HAVE won that SB. The Pats were ready to fall. Didnt Vinatieri miss a few kicks too(but not last one hehehe)

Eagles should have won SB. The Owens experiment would have worked. It would have been a success.

Who knows maybe McFlabb threw the SB because he knew it was gonna be about TO and his rehab. McNabb probably couldnt handle THAT!

"Chunky" Conspiracy....hmmm...
:lmao2:

That is without a doubt the most naive thing about the Eagles losing that game that I have ever read.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
That said ...you'd better believe that TO is fully aware that you need him far more than he needs you. That's a win-win situation for TOs cause; he'll go for the team that offers the highest dollars.

HA! you dont even believe that one... LOL

That is SO NOT the case. He needs to go to a REAL organization(one that actually wins SB - not chokes in them) more than we need to bring him here. We could get WR's. I REALLY DISAGREE on that one.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile said:
:lmao2:

That is without a doubt the most naive thing about the Eagles losing that game that I have ever read.

Hey you never know... there IS an underlying story about McNabb and Owens. But you are prob right. McNabb just blows.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick said:
Hey you never know... there IS an underlying story about McNabb and Owens. But you are prob right. McNabb just blows.
I love it.

"Hey if we win this game TO is going to be MVP. I better go over here and yack so I don't get a Super Bowl ring."

Come on man.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I love it.

"Hey if we win this game TO is going to be MVP. I better go over here and yack so I don't get a Super Bowl ring."

Come on man.

While I do believe that is far fetched, McNabb is an excellent actor.

He was coughing and wheezing in the Tampa Bay game. Acted wounded in the Carolina loss.

The dramatic fall he took after Bradie James brushed by him on the Roy Williams interception was worthy of an Oscar nomination.