Owens to be released Thursday

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
If we sign TO and I pray it doesn't happen and he doesn't cause any problems I will be man enough to eat crow......BUT if he doesn't I expect the same from everyone that is for signing this jackarse.....DEAL?

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i have some players names for ya
lawrence taylor
brian cox
terry glenn
keyshawn johnson

as a matter of fact key is a perfect example as to why bp can get TO in line...i mean he blew up the year before we got him and hasnt had a problem since and didnt have one when with bp before...thats the reason why TO will be ok in dallas

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
lawrence taylor
brian cox
terry glenn
keyshawn johnson

as a matter of fact key is a perfect example as to why bp can get TO in line...i mean he blew up the year before we got him and hasnt had a problem since and didnt have one when with bp before...thats the reason why TO will be ok in dallas
Big difference everyone of those players had respect for Parcells....TO respects no one but TO

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
lawrence taylor
brian cox
terry glenn
keyshawn johnson

...thats the reason why TO will be ok in dallas

If you are identifying players that had a history of having "problem-related" issues ...they're not TO! TO will be a biggest challenge BP has experienced.

Now, let's peek at conflicts ...

Terry Glenn
Keyshawn Johnson
Drew Bledsoe

You do the math ...

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
With not cap in 07, this might turn out to be a pretty good deal. You figure TO only has a few good years left in him.

Sign him now to a contract where he gets good money this year, and great money next year (no cap, you can pay him anything), after that, you've already had him for 2 years. If he acts up in year 3, cut him.

I wonder if Jerry is thinking something like the above.

1fisher

Reaction score
kobe2jail said:
With not cap in 07, this might turn out to be a pretty good deal. You figure TO only has a few good years left in him.

Sign him now to a contract where he gets good money this year, and great money next year (no cap, you can pay him anything), after that, you've already had him for 2 years. If he acts up in year 3, cut him.

I wonder if Jerry is thinking something like the above.

I wonder what you are thinking??????:laugh2:

david_jackson

Reaction score
If we sign TO (big if) it will be for a value less than most think.....But will be short, and voidable next year( by either side). TO will be on his best behavior so he can recieve one more Big Pay Day. It might work....Whether this works or not is directly dependent on exactly how big an A** TO is.

1fisher

Reaction score
david_jackson said:
If we sign TO (big if) it will be for a value less than most think.....But will be short, and voidable next year( by either side). TO will be on his best behavior so he can recieve one more Big Pay Day. It might work....Whether this works or not is directly dependent on exactly how big an A** TO is.

I think TO has been demonstrating his "BEST BEHAVIOR"..... I believe it has potential to be worse!!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
They were the bell cow that simply couldn't take the next step from perennial choke artists to the Super Bowl. Owens made the 2004 Eagles explosive and dangerous.
They were there before he got there. Even with him they couldn't erase...

:trophy:

I'm not complaining.

He should have been the piece of the puzzle that put them over the top. He didn't. Not his fault, but it remains a fact he too has no rings.

He didn't divide anything that wasn't begging for it. If we have a lockerroom already in dissent because of a QB who is management's lapdog and other key players they decide to play hardball with, then you have a situation ripe to be the same type of disaster. Do we have that? No.
Gonna disagree with you on this boss. TO's history is his history. He bashes his QB in the media and creates discord. There were waves in 2004 that the Eagles had never had to deal with before and in 2005 they eripted.

Coinsidence?

Naw.

Owens basically was a mouthpiece for those that had issues with management (Westbrook, Trotter) and wasn't afraid to air dirty laundry. At the same time, he had his own interests at heart as well. McNabb didn't like being threatened, went to management, who sent lackey Hugh Douglas into the lockerroom to instigate even more.
Interesting version of this.

I still say he did exactly what he had already done in San Fran. He threw his QB under the bus and divided the staff and team.

Like the fiction you hear on SportsCenter about he was the sole reason that team went in the toilet? Of course, McNabb's injury, an underachieving defense, the loss of Corey Simon and poor coaching by Andy Reid had absolutely nothing to do with it.
I didn't bring any of those things up and don't disagree with them.

However, if you were around when the Eagles first got TO you'd find that while I admired the low price they paid I in fact predicted he'd throw Donovan under the bus and divide his team. How could I have possibly known that? Think 7 times 7.

Were it not for McNabb's choke in the Super Bowl, he could easily could have one ring.
I don't disagree with that.

Why should we sign any talented player and believe they could get us to the Super Bowl if they are minus the rings. If Randy Moss were free, would we have to shy away because he doesn't fit the ring requirement?
I'm not the one speculating that adding him equals SB wins. I think you'll find that I don't believe any one player equals a ring. I think there are certain types of players who give you a better chance at one. IMO selfish, me first players, no matter how talented, can keep you from a ring as easily as help you get one. There are very few players I would consider exceptions to that theory.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why was it that many of us predicted that TO was going to be a problem in Philly before he signed his contract? Sorry guys the writing was on the wall that this type of end would take place just as it did in SF. I will agree Philly had other problems such as the defense and McNabb being hurt but TO did nothing more than rub salt in the wounds and helped to create a divide on that team. This guy is a problem child and anyone who claims him runs the same risk. For me I don't need to be hit in the head 3 times before I realize the problem this guy can cause.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Alexander said:
They were the bell cow that simply couldn't take the next step from perennial choke artists to the Super Bowl. Owens made the 2004 Eagles explosive and dangerous.

The Eagles were taking "next steps" right up until TO got unhappy. While the Superbowl was disappointing; we made it through the playoffs, and won the NFC Championship without his explosiveness.

He didn't divide anything that wasn't begging for it.

This statement does not stand independently.:confused:

If we have a lockerroom already in dissent because of a QB who is management's lapdog and other key players they decide to play hardball with, then you have a situation ripe to be the same type of disaster. Do we have that? No.

The same lockerroom of which you speak was "united" enough to take the eagles to the playoffs in 3 consecutive years! What disarray are you talking about (pre-TO?)

Quote:
Owens basically was a mouthpiece for those that had issues with management (Westbrook, Trotter) and wasn't afraid to air dirty laundry. At the same time, he had his own interests at heart as well. McNabb didn't like being threatened, went to management, who sent lackey Hugh Douglas into the lockerroom to instigate even more.

That sir is a dysfunctional statement! Both Westbrook and Trotter handled their situations like patient gentlemen. Your comment denotes TO as a scape-goat; that said, why didn't Trotter and Westbrook change their respective agents? No, TO didn't speak for anyone else but himself.

Quote:
Like the fiction you hear on SportsCenter about he was the sole reason that team went in the toilet? Of course, McNabb's injury, an underachieving defense, the loss of Corey Simon and poor coaching by Andy Reid had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Next comment ...:rolleyes:

Were it not for McNabb's choke in the Super Bowl,

Next comment ...:rolleyes:

he could easily could have one ring.

I actually hold TO partially responsible for the Eagles not having our first ring

Quote:
Why should we sign any talented player and believe they could get us to the Super Bowl if they are minus the rings. If Randy Moss were free, would we have to shy away because he doesn't fit the ring requirement?
You really are reaching for some of these ..."any talented player" nor "Randy Moss" is Not TO! TO came with baggage before he ever arrived in Philly.

Listen, it sounds as though you have already made up your mind that TO is the Moses needed to take you through the NFL Red Sea. That's cool. Just realize that if something quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and looks like a duck ...it's not an Eagle any more!

Take him ...“In pace requiescat” (quote from Doc Holiday in the movie
Tombstone)!:rolleyes:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Gonna disagree with you on this boss. TO's history is his history. He bashes his QB in the media and creates discord. There were waves in 2004 that the Eagles had never had to deal with before and in 2005 they eripted.

His history is that he is an insufferable cad and a drama queen. It is also his history that he works hard and prepares for every game and is passionate. Put Michael Irvin on both San Francisco and Philadelphia, you probably see the same reaction to both situations. One instance was a wimpy system QB who did not have a winning bone in his body. The other was a sell-out lapdog to management who had issues winning the game when the pressure was on. Michael Irvin would have ripped them both as well. Put a stand up leader at QB with Owens and I believe his tone changes dramatically.

Much like a junkyard dog that needs to be taught who is boss, so goes Terrell IMO. That's why Michael Irvin fed him the Brett Favre line. That wasn't an accident. Is Bledsoe that type? I think he could be. He certainly isn't a wimp or a company man/sell out.

I still say he did exactly what he had already done in San Fran. He threw his QB under the bus and divided the staff and team.

Given Jeff Garcia's issues post-SF, I think Owens was justified. Mariucci was running a loose ship and he got fired in Detroit also. And look at the complaints Greg Knapp is getting now from Michael Vick. He was also part of the problem with the 49ers. That whole organization was terrible from the Yorks on down.

I'm not the one speculating that adding him equals SB wins. I think you'll find that I don't believe any one player equals a ring. I think there are certain types of players who give you a better chance at one. IMO selfish, me first players, no matter how talented, can keep you from a ring as easily as help you get one. There are very few players I would consider exceptions to that theory.

Michael Irvin embracing Owens brings me to the conclusion that they are birds of a feather. And if you were asking me if I would take a Playmaker on this team right now? You are absolutely right I would.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Given Jeff Garcia's issues post-SF, I think Owens was justified. Mariucci was running a loose ship and he got fired in Detroit also. And look at the complaints Greg Knapp is getting now from Michael Vick. He was also part of the problem with the 49ers. That whole organization was terrible from the Yorks on down.

Mooch wasn't the problem in Det.....Millen is

And I don't remember ever hearing Irvin cry about his contract. Irvin was a team player. TO is a TO only player.

dfense

Reaction score
Funny what a few months out of the spotlight will do.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TO had no business ripping into players on both SF and Philly. He is a player not the owner,GM or HC. They pay him to play the game not run down teammate to ESPN and any other idiot with a mic.

Alexander

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
The Eagles were taking "next steps" right up until TO got unhappy. While the Superbowl was disappointing; we made it through the playoffs, and won the NFC Championship without his explosiveness.

You beat two of the weakest playoff teams that I have ever seen. Minnesota and Atlanta were nothing compared the Rams, Panther and Buccaneer teams that beat you like red-headed stepchildren.

The same lockerroom of which you speak was "united" enough to take the eagles to the playoffs in 3 consecutive years! What disarray are you talking about (pre-TO?)

At the start of the 2002 season, McNabb signed the richest contract in NFL history. He then proceeded to choke in the 2002 and 2003 NFC championships. Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Corey Simon, Hugh Douglas, Jeremiah Trotter and Brian Westbrook were all contract issues. The organization played hard ball with each and every one.

The Eagles mishandled all of them, but they took care of the lapdog.

That sir is a dysfunctional statement! Both Westbrook and Trotter handled their situations like patient gentlemen. Your comment denotes TO as a scape-goat; that said, why didn't Trotter and Westbrook change their respective agents? No, TO didn't speak for anyone else but himself.

So why was Trotter openly supporting Owens if he was nothing but a selfish player?

I actually hold TO partially responsible for the Eagles not having our first ring

If you believe a team with Freddie Mitchell and Todd Pinkston competes with that Patriot team in the Super Bowl, then you are deranged.

Listen, it sounds as though you have already made up your mind that TO is the Moses needed to take you through the NFL Red Sea. That's cool. Just realize that if something quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and looks like a duck ...it's not an Eagle any more!

No just a talent that can help us try to achieve a goal, which is first make the playoffs and second achieve once we are in the tournament.

Alexander

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Mooch wasn't the problem in Det.....Millen is

Right.

That team had talent. Mariucci mismanaged it. You will see the difference this year. Guaranteed.

Mariucci was never nearly what he was cracked up to be in San Francisco and the terrible job he did in Detroit speaks to that.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
TO had no business ripping into players on both SF and Philly. He is a player not the owner,GM or HC. They pay him to play the game not run down teammate to ESPN and any other idiot with a mic.

The media has changed since even the 1990s.

You probably would have heard the same innuendo out of Irvin's mouth had the circumstances been different.

Back then, you did not hear about things the instant they happen. That creates a firestorm and media spin becomes reality.

menace

Reaction score
It is funny to hear you guys talk about getting TO. I remember reading you guys always bash TO for the stunts that he would pull. I remember when he disrespected you guys in your own stadium when he was with the 49ers (standing in the middle of the star). You guys seem to forget that the man has single handely destroyed two team lockerooms. This is the man you want on your team! Pathetic.