Packers with McCarthy as HC played a 3-4 defense

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
If you have the right players, the 3-4 is great. But the 3-4 is based on deception such that the offense never knows where the fourth rusher is coming from. In order to do that, you have to have multiple pass rushing threats from the LB position and your ILB must be able to play at either MLB or OLB. The main "problem" that we had when running the 3-4 was DeMarcus Ware. When you have him on your team, the offensive pretty much knows where that fourth rusher is coming from. Find 94, that is where the fourth guy is. LOL If Dallas were to go back to a 3-4 tomorrow, we would have the same "problem" with Parsons. Also, Tank might hold up as a 3-4 end or he might not. Same for Odighizuwa. Both are a little light for that position. And we have zero candidates for Nose Tackle in a 3-4.

Gambit

Reaction score
how has the 3-4 been doing?

im not looking to bash you, but what is teh success rate of that scheme in the NFL today?

and how long to get all the pieces?
It's near 50-50 on who employs it across the league as base D and fluctuates year to year based off new coaching hires.

We need a new NT and more lbers.

Interesting factoid Joe Whitt Jr comes from the Don Capers 3-4 background

ShiningStar

Reaction score
It's near 50-50 on who employs it across the league as base D and fluctuates year to year based off new coaching hires.

We need a new NT and more lbers.

Interesting factoid Joe Whitt Jr comes from the Don Capers 3-4 background

is he still with us?

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
The decline of the 3-4 defense can be directly traced to the rise of Run Pass Options at the NFL level.

It's commonly known that 3-4 defenses typically employ undersized DEs (i.e., tweeners) at OLB and downhill "stack-and-shed" LBs, rather than the increasingly common more athletic "run-and-hit" LBs inside. The problem with this is that undersized edges and old school stack-and-shed ILBs typically lack the speed and quickness to be sideline-to-sideline players, making the 3-4 more vulnerable to RPOs that exploit the achilles heel of the 3-4.

I don't think Jalen Hurts and Daniel Jones are world beaters but their athleticism at the QB position can't be denied. I personally don't think it makes sense to switch to a defensive scheme that's easier for athletic QBs to exploit when you play the Giants and Eagles a combined 4 times per year. Not to mention a league where QBs like Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Justin Fields, and Anthony Richardson are becoming more common. You basically give opposing OCs that have an athletic QB a video game like cheat code.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The decline of the 3-4 defense can be directly traced to the rise of Run Pass Options at the NFL level.

It's commonly known that 3-4 defenses typically employ undersized DEs (i.e., tweeners) at OLB and downhill "stack-and-shed" LBs, rather than the increasingly common more athletic "run-and-hit" LBs inside. The problem with this is that undersized edges and old school stack-and-shed ILBs typically lack the speed and quickness to be sideline-to-sideline players, making the 3-4 more vulnerable to RPOs that exploit the achilles heel of the 3-4.

I don't think Jalen Hurts and Daniel Jones are world beaters but their athleticism at the QB position can't be denied. I personally don't think it makes sense to switch to a defensive scheme that's easier for athletic QBs to exploit when you play the Giants and Eagles a combined 4 times per year. Not to mention a league where QBs like Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Justin Fields, and Anthony Richardson are becoming more common. You basically give opposing OCs that have an athletic QB a video game like cheat code.
Thank you for explaining this. So I don't have to LOL.

visionary

Reaction score

LOL, DEs in a 3-4 are bigger not smaller

Mr_437

Reaction score
Cowboys ran a 3-4 earlier in this season, and they had some success and they should've stuck with it. Dallas has the personnel to be multiple, but the players have to lock in mentally.