Packers with McCarthy as HC played a 3-4 defense

exciter

Reaction score
If you have the right players, the 3-4 is great. But the 3-4 is based on deception such that the offense never knows where the fourth rusher is coming from. In order to do that, you have to have multiple pass rushing threats from the LB position and your ILB must be able to play at either MLB or OLB. The main "problem" that we had when running the 3-4 was DeMarcus Ware. When you have him on your team, the offensive pretty much knows where that fourth rusher is coming from. Find 94, that is where the fourth guy is. LOL If Dallas were to go back to a 3-4 tomorrow, we would have the same "problem" with Parsons. Also, Tank might hold up as a 3-4 end or he might not. Same for Odighizuwa. Both are a little light for that position. And we have zero candidates for Nose Tackle in a 3-4.
Steelers don’t seem to be having much of an issue with TJ Watt? Come to think.. I can’t seem to remember they’re being much of an issue with Ware!

Gambit

Reaction score
Or your reading is off...:thumbup:
Well could be but doubtful.

If Dallas goes to Superbowl MM will be retained. If he does that a big part of that will be due to Defense.

If he fails he will be allowed to move on, and likewise the Defense will be a big part of that failure.

No, if Vrabel comes, it will be to begin to make a statement on his ability to coach not in hopes the HC fails.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just pondering who would replace Quinn if he leaves...
Due to his lame duck status (1yr left on his contract), cannot see any outside DC's wanting to join his staff. My guess Joe Whitt would be his top internal choice. Just for argument sake, if they did get someone outside who runs a 3-4 Front, DC's like fired Statley or Barry would fit. Would love to get Belicheck as DC but better chance of meeting jesus for dinner tonight.

Gambit

Reaction score
Due to his lame duck status (1yr left on his contract), cannot see any outside DC's wanting to join his staff. My guess Joe Whitt would be his top internal choice. Just for argument sake, if they did get someone outside who runs a 3-4 Front, DC's like fired Statley or Barry would fit. Would love to get Belicheck as DC but better chance of meeting jesus for dinner tonight.
Again Whitt comes from 3-4 background and has coached under McCarthy in Green Bay for 10 years.

Obvious clear choice.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Steelers don’t seem to be having much of an issue with TJ Watt? Come to think.. I can’t seem to remember they’re being much of an issue with Ware!
Then you misunderstood my point.

Truly great players, such as Watt and Ware, transcend scheme.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
MCarthys first couple of years in Green Bay they ran a 4-3 defense. Then he hired Capers because MM preferred the 3-4 defense and that was successfull for a couple of years. After a few years, Capers defense went stale then they went to the "let Aaron Rodgers score a lot of points and let the 3-4,4-3,5-1, grab and hope you don't get called for a penalty-hold on for dear life defense" that rarely worked.

exciter

Reaction score
Most assistant contracts are for 2 years anyway. My guess most coordinators would be drooling over the opportunity to work with our combination of rushers, corners and safeties!

quickccc

Reaction score
Just pondering who would replace Quinn if he leaves...
we dunno if it will be a 3-4 or 4-2 (nickel LBs) if new DC ... - what if new DC wants a Niners like defense with a 4 man front ?

One thing for sure, Mac can tell management he wants a 3-4, but do not leave it to lame duck to pick the DC, leave it to management. Especially after the Mike Nolan/ Jim Tosuma disasterous ordeal

I tend to think Mac is much more limited in seeking DCs now than ever before - and front office does not trust him, imo
they want to hand pick certain coordinators for him;

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's near 50-50 on who employs it across the league as base D and fluctuates year to year based off new coaching hires.

We need a new NT and more lbers.

Interesting factoid Joe Whitt Jr comes from the Don Capers 3-4 background
is he still with us?
Probably Quinns most likely replacement. He is our passing game coordinator, so full DC wouldn't be a big leap

JeffInDC

Reaction score
I’m not sure any teams truly run the 4-3 or 3-4 anymore. Most teams base D is Nickel. The Ravens basically run a 4-2 or 2-4 (however you wanna look at it). Clowney and Oweh basically play a mix of 2 or 3 point stances on the edges with Pierce and Madubuike manning the middle in front of Smith and Queen.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys front seven in a 3-4 would be:

OLB: Micah Parsons-Sam Williams
ILB: Damone Clark- DeMarvion Overshown
DE: Chauncey Golston- Osa Odihizuwa
NT: Mazi Smith (if he gets his weight back up)