Packers with McCarthy as HC played a 3-4 defense

Mr_437

Reaction score
your gonna need DLAW as a DE in this he is plenty good enough maybe even one of the best...your short LB's and 2 more man eaters for the DLINE...Clark would be a huge weak spot in this D.
That's currently, they're going to add probably 2 LBs to play inside. I get what your saying but I don't like DLaw as a 5Tech.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The decline of the 3-4 defense can be directly traced to the rise of Run Pass Options at the NFL level.

It's commonly known that 3-4 defenses typically employ undersized DEs (i.e., tweeners) at OLB and downhill "stack-and-shed" LBs, rather than the increasingly common more athletic "run-and-hit" LBs inside. The problem with this is that undersized edges and old school stack-and-shed ILBs typically lack the speed and quickness to be sideline-to-sideline players, making the 3-4 more vulnerable to RPOs that exploit the achilles heel of the 3-4.

I don't think Jalen Hurts and Daniel Jones are world beaters but their athleticism at the QB position can't be denied. I personally don't think it makes sense to switch to a defensive scheme that's easier for athletic QBs to exploit when you play the Giants and Eagles a combined 4 times per year. Not to mention a league where QBs like Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Justin Fields, and Anthony Richardson are becoming more common. You basically give opposing OCs that have an athletic QB a video game like cheat code.
I somewhat agree, but you're going off of the build for an old school 3-4 defense. I look at a modern 3-4 team like Baltimore and their LBs are not really playing stack & shed. Honestly the Cowboys have played more stack & shed at the second level under DQ than most (good) 3-4 defenses play in todays game. Queen/Smith are two LBs who typically attack and are quick enough to play sideline to sideline. That's the key in my eyes for the Cowboys to move to a variation of the 3-4 is going to be finding the inside backers. . Overshown profiles as a solid one, but he is largely an unknown. LVE is going to be more of that stack & shed type you talk about, and given his injury history that's probably all he should be, if not retired. Micah parsons is more than athletic enough to play one OLB position. Honestly Sam Williams might be a really good fit for the other. The quirky piece in moving to a 3-4 IMO is going to be what do you do with DLaw? He's that quirky piece that is likely a liability as a LB and pretty small to be a 3-4 DE, but that doesnt mean he couldnt do it. Honestly he might be a guy that at this point in his career you try to just get him 500-600 snaps a season anyways. He could be the guy who mostly plays nickel packages?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I somewhat agree, but you're going off of the build for an old school 3-4 defense. I look at a modern 3-4 team like Baltimore and their LBs are not really playing stack & shed. Honestly the Cowboys have played more stack & shed at the second level under DQ than most (good) 3-4 defenses play in todays game. Queen/Smith are two LBs who typically attack and are quick enough to play sideline to sideline. That's the key in my eyes for the Cowboys to move to a variation of the 3-4 is going to be finding the inside backers. . Overshown profiles as a solid one, but he is largely an unknown. LVE is going to be more of that stack & shed type you talk about, and given his injury history that's probably all he should be, if not retired. Micah parsons is more than athletic enough to play one OLB position. Honestly Sam Williams might be a really good fit for the other. The quirky piece in moving to a 3-4 IMO is going to be what do you do with DLaw? He's that quirky piece that is likely a liability as a LB and pretty small to be a 3-4 DE, but that doesnt mean he couldnt do it. Honestly he might be a guy that at this point in his career you try to just get him 500-600 snaps a season anyways. He could be the guy who mostly plays nickel packages?
we could go to a Pressure 3-4 right now and have the pieces..not sure it fixes the run defense on 2 TE sets at all though. but yeah LVE and Overshown would be the great unknowns in this..i think Overshown is closer to a saftie at his current size though...220 is still way light

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

Steelers 3-3-5. Imagine DLaw in the outside DE role.

DLaw is a good enough run defender that it could just work, however Leal is also probably 30+ pounds heavier than Dlaw. I look at good 3-4 teams like Pittsburgh & Baltimore and their front three all weigh 290, most 300+. You throw a 260sih Dlaw in that mix and I hate to say it wont work because he is so good, but it feels like a massive roll of the dice.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Frankly, I think that style fits us better anyway. Especially if we want to try to be physical. I'd want Vrabel as he values linebackers and trenches.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
DLaw is a good enough run defender that it could just work, however Leal is also probably 30+ pounds heavier than Dlaw. I look at good 3-4 teams like Pittsburgh & Baltimore and their front three all weigh 290, most 300+. You throw a 260sih Dlaw in that mix and I hate to say it wont work because he is so good, but it feels like a massive roll of the dice.
he can fit the offside DE takes on the run and doubles fine..almost great a legit power rusher. Your short in so many oter areas though, again need MAzi to take a HUGE leap just for starters.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
we could go to a Pressure 3-4 right now and have the pieces..not sure it fixes the run defense on 2 TE sets at all though. but yeah LVE and Overshown would be the great unknowns in this..i think Overshown is closer to a saftie at his current size though...220 is still way light
I agree, it could look somewhat similar to the Parcells 3-4 in Dallas when you had smaller/quicker guys up front like LaRoi Glover and Greg Ellis.

75boyz

Reaction score
Other than the lone 2010 SB winning year where everything aligned just right for Capers defense regarding leading the league in turnovers and Clay Matthews near DPOY performance(runner up to Polamalu)...

McCarthy playoff defenses at Green Bay sucked, regardless of coordin ator.

Rodgers definitely coulda used some help and would have more than one ring.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
he can fit the offside DE takes on the run and doubles fine..almost great a legit power rusher. Your short in so many oter areas though, again need MAzi to take a HUGE leap just for starters.
Mazi is an interesting name, but I actually think he could profile pretty well as a 3-4 DE. Obviously improvement is going to be needed no matter what position he plays, but physically he fits the profile. It'll be interesting to see where he comes into camp weight wise this year.

Mr_437

Reaction score
he is by far our best on the Team he would be a great 3-4 weak DE
We'll just have to disagree. I'd rather have Osa (6'2, 282) and Chauncey (6'5 288) as my 5Techs over DLaw (6'3 265) who I see as (strong-side) LOLB in a 3-4.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We'll just have to disagree. I'd rather have Osa (6'2, 282) and Chauncey (6'5 288) as my 5Techs over DLaw (6'3 265) who I see as (strong-side) LOLB in a 3-4.
your gonna get Dlaw exposed huge in coverrage though, who has been the better run stopper on defense..DLAW may be 265 but he is still by far the best run stopper on this team.

Gambit

Reaction score
Not likely happening, but I'd be ecstatic over this. Already have him in house for next offseason when he takes over as HC
This statement seems off.

It assumes that Vrabel will fail at getting the D to play well enough to win in playoffs then rewarding him with a HC position.

Jarntt

Reaction score
This statement seems off.

It assumes that Vrabel will fail at getting the D to play well enough to win in playoffs then rewarding him with a HC position.
Or your reading is off...:thumbup: