Pacman, our best corner

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
ddh33;2311628 said:
My favorite thing about Pacman, by far, is his competitiveness. That guy really gets after it, and he takes it personally when something gets completed on him. I think the big plays are going to come, but in the meantime, I'm pretty happy with the edge and nastiness he's bringing to the D.

Agreed. Its a matter of process for him.

He is still in the "process" of getting back into NFL game shape.

I expect him to start hitting his stride around mid season... perhaps the final 1/3.

The INT's will come. Its just a matter of time.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack;2312025 said:
Perfect example of stats not telling the whole story.

Plus, you left out the TDs given up by Newman.

which one's (plural) are you referring to?

I think he's given up one, and on that play the QB had all day to throw to the guy once he came free in the back of the endzone.

sacase

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2311965 said:
Here's what I have for Newman and Jones allowing so far --

GAME 1
Newman inactive
Jones 0 catches, 0 yards (1 pass interference, 2 yards)

GAME 2
Newman 1 catch, 12 yards
Jones 5 catches, 87 yards

GAME 3
Newman 4 catches, 40 yards
Jones 6 catches, 92 yards

GAME 4
Newman 7 catches, 97 yards
Jones 1 catch, 9 yards (1 for 10 wiped out by offensive penalty)

GAME 5
Newman inactive
Jones 7 catches, 75 yards

TOTALS
Newman 12 catches, 149 yards
Jones 19 catches, 263 yards

OK, sacase, go ahead and explain how Newman has been "smoked far more" than Jones this season.

That's a good start. Now how many TD's have they each given up and how many pass breakups and FF do they have?

So basically Newman has played in 2 less games and only given up 7 less catches and 114 yards less...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
sacase;2312110 said:
That's a good start. Now how many TD's have they each given up and how many pass breakups and FF do they have?

So basically Newman has played in 2 less games and only given up 7 less catches and 114 yards less...

I'm still waiting for you to explain how Newman has been "smoked far more" than Jones this season.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rack;2312025 said:
Perfect example of stats not telling the whole story.

Do you think Newman "has been smoked far more" than Jones this season?

And please tell me how the stats don't show how Newman "has been smoked far more."

Jones has allowed more catches, more yards, more deep catches and more intermediate catches.

Sandman52

Reaction score
Pac is really the only energetic player on our defense. Zach and D-Ware are really good, but they are very workman-like.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2312934 said:
Do you think Newman "has been smoked far more" than Jones this season?

And please tell me how the stats don't show how Newman "has been smoked far more."

Jones has allowed more catches, more yards, more deep catches and more intermediate catches.

Eh, true. I wasn't looking at the stats in that context.

He certainly got smoked "Far more" in the Commanders game though. :D

Like I said though, you aren't telling the whole story. How many PBs do each have?

Of course AJ could put this argument to rest if he actually starts catching the balls that keep hitting him in the hands. But at least he's getting his hands on the ball.

sacase

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2312880 said:
I'm still waiting for you to explain how Newman has been "smoked far more" than Jones this season.

I am still waiting for you to provide the rest of the story. Not cherry pick stats. So far the only thing you told me is that newman has played 2 less games and give up 114 yards less is 8 quarters of action.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
sacase;2313498 said:
I am still waiting for you to provide the rest of the story. Not cherry pick stats.

What other stats are there to say how many times either player has been "smoked"?

THAT is the crux of the argument. You claimed Newman has been "smoked far more" than Jones. If that was true -- and it's obviously not -- it would show up in the number of completions and yards they've both allowed.

You said if I posted the numbers, you'd explain how Newman "has been smoked far more" than Jones.

Well, get to it. I'm waiting.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rack;2313019 said:
Like I said though, you aren't telling the whole story. How many PBs do each have?

Of course AJ could put this argument to rest if he actually starts catching the balls that keep hitting him in the hands. But at least he's getting his hands on the ball.

Passes defended and interceptions have nothing to do with how often either player "has been smoked."

sacase

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2313517 said:
What other stats are there to say how many times either player has been "smoked"?

THAT is the crux of the argument. You claimed Newman has been "smoked far more" than Jones. If that was true -- and it's obviously not -- it would show up in the number of completions and yards they've both allowed.

You said if I posted the numbers, you'd explain how Newman "has been smoked far more" than Jones.

Well, get to it. I'm waiting.

You have only posted numbers that help your arguement. Man up and post everything then we can have a real discussion, quit cherry picking.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
coogrfan;2310323 said:
What games have you people been watching?

How many times this season have we seen Q-Bert nowhere near the guy he was supposed to be covering? How many picks has he dropped? Has he done anything positive as a returner?

To this point he's been no better than Jacques Reeves.
You've got to be kidding!. I'm not saying Pacman's an All-Pro CB, but he's light years better then Reeves.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
sacase;2313532 said:
You have only posted numbers that help your arguement. Man up and post everything then we can have a real discussion, quit cherry picking.

Again, you tell me what other numbers would show how often Newman "has been smoked," other than the catches and yards that I already posted?

Is there another stat for "getting smoked" that I don't know about?

Face it, you were wrong when you said "Newman has been smoked far more" than Jones. And like I said the first time, you'd know that if you had paid attention.

utrunner07

Reaction score
Dear Pacman,

please stop celebrating like you did something when the QB throws the ball over the recievers head, please stop dropping INTs, and please start covering every play...then you can be our #1 CB.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Ok.. Henry - He is physical at the point of attack but seems to always be a step behind. Lots of passes are getting tossed his way this year and numbers are piling up. Process of elimination tells any OC the safest throw is in Henry's direction. I'm really not to keen on him right now and would love to see him and Pacman swap roles.

Better.. Tnew - Tnew is solid if not spectacular. When healthy, you can match him up against any team's best WR and lock it down. He won't get you a lot of INTs or make the big play often but he will quietly take a top flight WR out of the game. He may be getting older but make no mistake, when healthy, he is very good.

Best.. Pacman - He is the most explosive DB we have with a knack for being around the ball. The balls that are bouncing out of his hands are soon going to stick and he will begin to rack up some INTs. For a guy that was away from the game for a year he sure is sniffing around the vicinity of the ball often. I love his upside.

Now about burnt toast AKA Jacques Reeves... Can the poster that's obviously his brother stop spewing the wacked rhetoric about how solid he is? Thank goodness the Texans pulled the trigger on him. He is nothing more than toast worthy of a good butter knife scrape over the kitchen trash can. Please stop with the obvious agenda. He sucked, sucks, and will suck in the short and long term future. If you have any inkling that Reeves can hold Pacman's jockstrap you might want to have that peace pipe checked for illegal substances. Thank you.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Pacman I think is pretty good. He can be better. And he certainly has the talent to be very good.

The problem is with our defensive scheme. It plays away from the strength of our corners. We should be playing more man to man and press coverages. Then just bring the house down our opponents.

I'm not happy with the bend but don't break style of our defense. This is why we aren't getting any INTs and turnovers like last year.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2314674 said:
Now about burnt toast AKA Jacques Reeves... Can the poster that's obviously his brother stop spewing the wacked rhetoric about how solid he is? Thank goodness the Texans pulled the trigger on him. He is nothing more than toast worthy of a good butter knife scrape over the kitchen trash can. Please stop with the obvious agenda. He sucked, sucks, and will suck in the short and long term future. If you have any inkling that Reeves can hold Pacman's jockstrap you might want to have that peace pipe checked for illegal substances. Thank you.

Oh, for crying out loud...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

Thru 5 games: Jones has 20 tackles (17 solo), 6 passes defended and 0 int's.

Thru 4 games: Reeves has 13 tackles (11 solo), 5 passes defended and 1 int.

Yes, Jones is vastly more talented, and as he knocks off the rust he'll get a lot better. The fact remains that in September Jones was not significantly better than Reeves.