Pacman, our best corner

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
utrunner07;2314307 said:
Dear Pacman,

please stop celebrating like you did something when the QB throws the ball over the recievers head, please stop dropping INTs, and please start covering every play...then you can be our #1 CB.

I also don't like when players "over" celebrate stuff, but if I have to choose between that type of player or a player that just looks like a zombie out there and never gets fired up for anything, I'll take the guy that gets fired up over everything.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
coogrfan;2317340 said:
Oh, for crying out loud...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

Thru 5 games: Jones has 20 tackles (17 solo), 6 passes defended and 0 int's.

Thru 4 games: Reeves has 13 tackles (11 solo), 5 passes defended and 1 int.

Yes, Jones is vastly more talented, and as he knocks off the rust he'll get a lot better. The fact remains that in September Jones was not significantly better than Reeves.

Your attempt to compare the two is comedy gold.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
ConstantReboot;2314884 said:
Pacman I think is pretty good. He can be better. And he certainly has the talent to be very good.

The problem is with our defensive scheme. It plays away from the strength of our corners. We should be playing more man to man and press coverages. Then just bring the house down our opponents.

I'm not happy with the bend but don't break style of our defense. This is why we aren't getting any INTs and turnovers like last year.

I'd be happy if it was still at least a bend but don't break defense but it's not even that anymore. Our defense resembles more of a slow bend and break defense that relies on our offense always scoring a TD more than our opponent whether we put up 24 points or more.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Rack;2317747 said:
I also don't like when players "over" celebrate stuff, but if I have to choose between that type of player or a player that just looks like a zombie out there and never gets fired up for anything, I'll take the guy that gets fired up over everything.

Give me an example of some of these zombies on our team.

I don't see guys like Bradie and Spears make plays often enough to evaluate their 'fire'.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2317839 said:
Give me an example of some of these zombies on our team.

I don't see guys like Bradie and Spears make plays often enough to evaluate their 'fire'.

And that's one of many problems on our defense. Some of the "role" players just don't make enough plays.

I mean, it's sad when a nose guard is leading all our DL in sacks. Yes, Ratliff is a pretty dang good pass rusher, but it's still harder for a NG to get to the QB than it is for a DE, even in the 3-4.

And I didn't technically say we had zombies on our team. I just said I prefer an over excited player over an under excited player.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2310193 said:
He got worked on more than Henry, it looked like to me. And if Newman had given up all those intermediate passes and dropped two INTs, people would be calling for his head.

I'm still waiting to see this "best corner in the league".

If Pac gives up two TDs in one half we can roast him.

TNew is a great player when healthy but he hasn't been this year and hasn't been as good as Pacman who really has only been an average starter.

Its to the point anytime Newman allows anything we automatically assume he is hurt. Partly because he really doesn't allow much when healthy but also because he is so often dinged.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
coogrfan;2317340 said:
Oh, for crying out loud...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics

Thru 5 games: Jones has 20 tackles (17 solo), 6 passes defended and 0 int's.

Thru 4 games: Reeves has 13 tackles (11 solo), 5 passes defended and 1 int.

Yes, Jones is vastly more talented, and as he knocks off the rust he'll get a lot better. The fact remains that in September Jones was not significantly better than Reeves.

ROFL.

Reeves is awful.
Who cares about those nonsense stats.
Watch the guy play perhaps.
He still has no idea how to play CB.

I've seen parts of two Texan games and Reeves was victimized in both.

The Texans are winless and have allowed 30 or more points in every game.

People around here are crying because we allowed 22 after two turnovers and giving up two long kickoff returns.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jterrell;2317888 said:
If Pac gives up two TDs in one half we can roast him.

If both of them were from 3 yards or less, there would be no reason to.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2318004 said:
If both of them were from 3 yards or less, there would be no reason to.

...agree.

Passes into the end zone from the three yard line should present a better situation for the corner.

Less space to work the ball into the receiver should translate into improved odds that the corner can make a play on the ball.

I wouldn't label him "toast", but I wouldn't look at those results as favorable.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Is omeone really trying to say Reeves is better or as good as Pacman?

alby

Reaction score
Pacman isn't the only DB dropping INT's. With that being said though, I'm looking for consistent, sound defense and Dallas is getting that with Adam. Considering we got this guy on the cheap and he's been a solid starter for us, it's been a steal IMHO.

jumanji

Reaction score
pacman is playing the best right now. if newman would ever get healthy, we might have a formidable duo.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
dbair1967;2312067 said:
which one's (plural) are you referring to?

I think he's given up one, and on that play the QB had all day to throw to the guy once he came free in the back of the endzone.

he has given up two against the skins.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2311965 said:
Here's what I have for Newman and Jones allowing so far --

GAME 1
Newman inactive
Jones 0 catches, 0 yards (1 pass interference, 2 yards)

GAME 2
Newman 1 catch, 12 yards
Jones 5 catches, 87 yards

GAME 3
Newman 4 catches, 40 yards
Jones 6 catches, 92 yards

GAME 4
Newman 7 catches, 97 yards
Jones 1 catch, 9 yards (1 for 10 wiped out by offensive penalty)

GAME 5
Newman inactive
Jones 7 catches, 75 yards

TOTALS
Newman 12 catches, 149 yards
Jones 19 catches, 263 yards

OK, sacase, go ahead and explain how Newman has been "smoked far more" than Jones this season.

So that means:

Newman gives up 4 catches / 50 yds per game he plays
Jones gives up 3,8 catches / 52,3 yds per game he plays

that seems pretty even to me.

So that means your 3rd CB gives you the same output your no 1 CB gives you. And your 3rd CB played the no 1 position 4 out of 5 games because your no 1 CB didn't play at all or played nickle coverage.

The only game where both played their regular position was the Commanders game and look at the stats you have posted. In that game Newman was "smoked far more" then Jones.

Theres one more thing that weights heavy for me and thats expectations. Newman is our designated shut down corner. He went to the pro bowl. I have high expectations in him this season.
Jones didn't play Football for a whole season. Before that he was a good corner who was on the verge of beeing a shut down corner. With that him mind i have high hopes for him but not high expectations.

Now Jones fullfilled all my hopes until now. His play even exceeds them. Newman on the other side plays mediocre compared to the expextiations i have put in him.

With this in mind i would also say Newman has been "smoked far more" then Jones. But i have to admit. Newman seems more hurt then initially thought. So i think comparing them both isn't quite fair.

See there is more to it then just posting some stats when you discuss a point of view.

superpunk

Reaction score
Just watching them on the field, regardless of what the numbers are, Pacman is making more plays. He's on the field alot, and he's making more plays on the ball than we've seen a corner do here for a long time.

That is not at all a slight against Newman.

But I have been very impressed with Jones so far. I really hope he keeps his nose clean, because this could be a very profitable relationship.

khiladi

Reaction score
All and all, this proves that Henry no longer should be starting when Newman gets healthy enough to play...

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
khiladi;2318407 said:
All and all, this proves that Henry no longer should be starting when Newman gets healthy enough to play...

If that's the case, Henry has nothing to worry about losing his starting job. Newman is always injured, (a sports hernia now). Plus Henry is playing just as well if not better than Newman.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
khiladi;2318407 said:

Woody on the Michael Irvin Show, said something along the lines that Henry is playing extremely well. I'd imagine that it will be on an audio clip somewhere later.

juck

Reaction score
Pacman was a very good CB his whole career.He is young too.