Panthers Rescind Franchise Tag on Norman. Any interest

AzorAhai

Reaction score

JadedDelayedImago.gif

Thats a load of bull. They could easily get enough to afford his 1st yr hit. Could be as low as 5-6 million. Whether they will or not is certainly doubtful, but they absolutely could if they wanted to.

slick325

Reaction score
The team in Washington will talk to him. Scotty Mac could see him as their Richard Sherman.

Josh wants $16mil/yr too so...

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Good lord. Why would the player accept that?

Of course it is "possible". Why would Norman, at the peak of his career take that, especially if he would not just take the franchise money this year and go back in the pool next season?

Revis has $39 million guaranteed upon signing. The guarantee is made up of his entire 2015 and 2016 salaries and 6 million of his 2017 salary.

In that scenario, made up as it is, Norman gets $34 guaranteed and would get another $13M in 2018 before the team could afford to cut him in 2019.

I'm not saying they should do this, just saying they could and that Norman improves this (or anyone's) defense significantly.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I would have just let him play on the tag
And that makes me wonder why they wouldn't unless there are cap issues with them
Don't see jerry going after him. Big money guy

Cause he is holding out. Panthers have shown to get rid of productive players they don't play the way they want (money etc. Wise) Peppers, Smith, Hardy and now Norman

Q_the_man

Reaction score
He's not coming to Dallas, period.

Jerry will probably lowball Norman and offer him 4 years 27 mil with a chance to play for America's team.

Sign Norman- draft Zeke, that's 2 birds and 1 stone

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Revis has $39 million guaranteed upon signing. The guarantee is made up of his entire 2015 and 2016 salaries and 6 million of his 2017 salary.

In that scenario, made up as it is, Norman gets $34 guaranteed and would get another $13M in 2018 before the team could afford to cut him in 2019.

I'm not saying they should do this, just saying they could and that Norman improves this (or anyone's) defense significantly.

Norman is in a different situation than Revis. He had already moved on from his first contract.

I know what I understand locally that Norman is not being reasonable. At all. He really thinks he deserves the moon.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Do you know how players in their career prime think?

Wait, is this one of those "why wouldn't he want a star on his helmet?" things?

I said the Cowboys could sign him and have a low first year cap hit.

You follow by saying he'd want money up front.

Part of keeping a low cap hit would be giving him a huge signing bonus which.... Would give him a ton of money up front.

Again I wonder if you know how the salary cap math works.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

And with the huge signing bonus, he would get more money from that alone than the tag. Add in the base salary and he could get 28 million total for his 1st year and a total of 50+ million in cash money in 3 years before he could be cut

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I said the Cowboys could sign him and have a low first year cap hit.

You follow by saying he'd want money up front.

Part of keeping a low cap hit would be giving him a huge signing bonus which.... Would give him a ton of money up front.

Again I wonder if you know how the salary cap math works.

It is not about up front money. He wants a lot of money and he wants a team to "commit". You see that nonsense all the time, players want to "feel the love".

The negotiations between him and the Panthers have not been ugly, but he is asking for the kind of long term commitment that most teams won't do. He could have had good money simply by signing the franchise tag.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Norman is in a different situation than Revis. He had already moved on from his first contract.

I know what I understand locally that Norman is not being reasonable. At all. He really thinks he deserves the moon.

and who better to give it to him than the biggest enabler in all of sports?
jerry-jones.jpg