Panthers Rescind Franchise Tag on Norman. Any interest

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Well considering you just contradicted yourself in the span of 15 minutes...somehow you're on every side of the argument.

But way to try and dodge that point.

I said he wants "big money and right now". That does not mean a contract front loaded like you described. He wants that and more, firm, for more than a year or two, otherwise he would have just signed the tag deal and moved on.

He wants the contract to be sustainable beyond the short term.

My other post made it very clear, he wants a harder commitment. With a lot less funny money.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Not really, I think what @Alexander is saying that Norman wants the up front guaranteed signing bonus and the huge first year guaranteed salary, which we would not be able to do and a team like Jacksonville can.

I don't think he contradicted himself at all.

Of course he did. He literally said "he wants money now" then said "it's not about up front money."

These are contradictory statements.

Now if we want to talk contracts...players care about guaranteed money, and 3 year cashflow. The Cowboys deal would likely have a low year 1 base salary (typical), a large signing bonus (typical) and a 2nd year high base that is designed to be restructured.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I said he wants "big money and right now". That does not mean a contract front loaded like you described. He wants that and more, firm, for more than a year or two, otherwise he would have just signed the tag deal and moved on.

He wants the contract to be sustainable beyond the short term.

My other post made it very clear, he wants a harder commitment. With a lot less funny money.
What are you babbling about.

Why would he just sign the franchise tag? Players hate the franchise tag. And any long term deal would guarantee him more money than the tag, protect him against injury, and be massive.

I've never seen a player with a huge guarantee, be upset if it is in the form of a bonus which is paid up front rather than in game checks. Just stop.

Reaction score
I completely understand Alexander's and others who don't want to wreck the salary cap over 1 CB.

Add in the missteps with Carr (huge deal) and Claiborne (two high draft picks) and I really understand it.

but here's where I am....

All I wanted this off-season was to improve a very bad defense. Outside of the 1Tech position, we literally did not improve at any positions. Mayowa is a guess and we brought back most of everyone else (Claiborne, Crawford, Wilber).

Norman improves this defense, significantly. A player of his caliber is almost never available. Throw in the fact that we can also add the top defensive player in the draft (assuming Tunsil goes 3rd) and now you have some real improvement. Even if you were crazy enough to double down on DB and took Ramsey, you could turn around and cut Church and use that money towards re-signing Frederick.

In the end, I just want a better roster and IMO we have yet to do that.

I agree. The difference between Norman ad Carr and Claiborne is that he has proven his worth. Carr was a decent CB on a defense that had a great pass rush; he proved he could play well with a pass rush, but not without one. Claiborne was just a projection and has never proven his worth at the spot we drafted him. By contrast, Norman has proved to be a shut down corner, even this year without Hardy, Charles Johnson, and other good pass rushers. He has stymied Odell Beckham and other premier WRs. He is young. This is not a guy for whom a $100 million contract is a humongous risk. Rather, if we can cut Carr and spread out the guaranteed money over 7-8 years, this is the type of investment you make at a top 5 position.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Cowboys fans crack me up. All you hear is we need to upgrade cb's, need a pass rush ,need a QB yada yada yada then turn around and say no Hardy (even tho we took the PR hit already), no Norman cuz we don't wanna pay for a CB, don't trade up cuz no QB is worth it, no to Zeke cuz the best back since Peterson isn't worth 4. So I ask this why sign anyone, why draft anyone at 4 cuz no one is good enough. So when our QB goes down and McFadden gets hurt or Morris keeps declining and we have no pass rush or our cb's get torched no complaining. Truth is Zeke will help this team more than Ramsey, we already have a team full of cb's that can't catch. Lynch would help this team, so would Norman. When this team was good ( in the Johnson days) we took legitimate chances and did what was necessary to upgrade this team. This passive, too scared approach is making me sick frankly and this team is quickly becoming a joke. I have been a Cowboys fan for 40 years and we need to take more chances on real talent and quit being pansies. Sorry for the rant.....

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Norman, DB in the 1st ,and DB in the 2nd?
62244194.jpg

1 of them, not both. As in Ramsey at 4, OR Joeseph at 34. I'm too lazy to check, but I thought I said or in the post.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
They're saying we're taking Ramsey @ 4. I mean do we know that Norman is a FA? Damn, give me Zeke and sign Norman. I mean I could dream.. Could I?

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
Keep in mind guys Norman will be 29 in December...didn't know he was that close to 30...

Reaction score
The other great thing about this if the Cowboys decide to pursue him is that his market will not be the same. Teams like the Giants have already blown their free agent cash. And other teams have made DB decisions based on the fact that a guy like Norman was not going to be available this year. We kept Carr, but can easily cut him and use his cap figure to fit Norman in this year. We are in a good spot to make this happen.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Norman is very good in the defense he plays in Carolina. It is not the same defense here in Dallas. Norman would become Carr in this defense. Even Norman can't cover forever, with no pass rush and 15 yard cushions. Unless he comes here with Star and Kawon along for the ride, it won't be worth paying so much money for him.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Cause he is holding out. Panthers have shown to get rid of productive players they don't play the way they want (money etc. Wise) Peppers, Smith, Hardy and now Norman

Yeah, and they may be appropriately doing the RKG thing.

Individual arrogance is poison in a team sport.

Aven8

Reaction score
It would be hilarious if we got him at around the same price as NY got Jenkins. We wait it out and still get the best corner in football! Lol

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jacksonville has something like $50M in cap room, a defensive-minded coach in Gus Bradley, and guys like Aaron Colvin, Davon House, Prince Amukamara, and Dwayne Gratz at cornerback. If it comes down to who can offer the most money, we have no chance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Norman's not going to happen, but do we really have to go through the charade of pretending some of us actually believe DBs aren't important positions in the NFL? It's so dumb, I'm embarrassed for the posters who get suckered in to agreeing with the idea just because it gets intentionally repeated over and over and over.

It has no basis in reality. A quick look at any NFL roster with salaries ought to make that clear.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
The other great thing about this if the Cowboys decide to pursue him is that his market will not be the same. Teams like the Giants have already blown their free agent cash. And other teams have made DB decisions based on the fact that a guy like Norman was not going to be available this year. We kept Carr, but can easily cut him and use his cap figure to fit Norman in this year. We are in a good spot to make this happen.

The good thing is we sat tight this whole FA and didn't spend much. I think we're bound to make a splash somehow now. Is it possible to cut Carr and sign Norman without hurting us?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
We kept Carr, but can easily cut him and use his cap figure to fit Norman in this year. We are in a good spot to make this happen.

Are you serious? Please don't tell me you are suggesting this is all part of the plan.