Panthers trade for Stephon Gilmore

SackMaster

Reaction score
Only a 6th Round Pick? Maybe NFL Teams don't think as highly of Gilmore as the fans do. I mean, I was told he was the 2019 DPOY, so obviously he is great.
:muttley:

Oh well, I am more than happy to see what Joseph has sooner rather than later.
:flagwave:

Malhavoc

Reaction score
This would have been a gamble and it sounds like we would have needed to move money to get it done, but I would have done it. A lot of great players leave New England and are just a shell of themselves. So we’ll see.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This would have been a gamble and it sounds like we would have needed to move money to get it done, but I would have done it. A lot of great players leave New England and are just a shell of themselves. So we’ll see.

I want the players BB likes not the ones he is done with....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They'll
get McCaffery back after this week
get Henderson up to speed in a week or two
get Gilmore acclimated
get some o-lineman healthier

With a manageable schedule, they should have a shot at a wildcard spot.
Spoken like a dude living in Carolina, lol.
This is objectionably awful roster mgmt and it's surprising fans are still this behind the times.

CMC was averaging 3.9 YPC on the year.
Henderson was a bust of a draft pick who is still raw as rain.
He has a lot of upside but he was traded for a reason.
Sam Darnold still lacks weapons even with DJ Moore playing lights out.

Making a Wild Card game is an interesting goal for a team that spend up to 10m this year to rent a player that can't be active until week 7.

I do not at all understand this move.
Carolina just isn't that good and realistically could have lost by 20.
Playing the Texans 3rd QB, the Jets and The Saints minus 8 coaches it not a good barometer to base your future on.

My best guess is Carolina felt like they could either extend Gilmore or get a comp draft pick for him.
But 9-10M in salary cap usually buys you a lot more than that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Holding out for a pay day. Pats didn't cut him because they are in the business of sending off good players.

We need that? We giving it to him?

If he excels here can we afford it and still keep other important guys?

Pretty moot now but that's what I meant.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is objectionably awful roster mgmt and it's surprising fans are still this behind the times.

Making a Wild Card game is an interesting goal for a team that spend up to 10m this year to rent a player that can't be active until week 7.

Playing the Texans 3rd QB, the Jets and The Saints minus 8 coaches it not a good barometer to base your future on.

My best guess is Carolina felt like they could either extend Gilmore or get a comp draft pick for him.

Stop with the selective stat nonsense. MC is a total stud. More to his game than running the football. He is a terror in the passing game as a receiver out of the backfield. HE is also a TD machine.

You want to complain about his health, no problem. But this guy is a top 3 offensive weapon in the NFL.

DFWJC

Reaction score

Well, I disagree with most (not all of) what you said.....plus you are directly wrong on some things and indirectly on others.

1. I live in Dallas (not NC) and have for the last 30 years. I am a Cowboys fan, not a Panthers fan
  2. This decision does not mean they are "basing their future" on anything..far from it. And the downside is very limited
  3. Carolina is not spending 10m to rent Gilmore....more like 6. And it does not prevent them from seeing any other opportunities. It's not like some great olineman is available to them right now. And they did not give up any draft capital to speak of.
  4. They are looking at Henderson long-term. He's on a rookie deal, and a 3rd, in their opinion was not rich at all for that possible future upside. Arnold was solid for sure, but they really like their young TEs.
  5. And trying to insulate that McCaffery--who had only played in just over 2 games, and was leading the league in yards from scrimmage (324 yards, 2 games) before the injury--is somehow not valuable....well, that is lunacy. He does catch the ball as well, you might recall.
The only things I didn't disagree with were that Carolina was overrated (by some) after 3 games and that Carolina could possibly extend Gilmore or get a comp pick.

Last edited:

kumizi

Reaction score
6th round pick. Aaaaaaaand a huge contract (or let him walk next year)
I would happily pay a 5th for half a season of Gilmore. For a potential playoff run.

unless he said he’s not showing up without an extension

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Passing on this guy was the right move.

He is a malcontent and we have a good thing going already, with two young corners on the horizon.

That aside, that Carolina defense was pretty good beforehand, and they should be taken very seriously now.
I've said it over and over again until I'm blue in the face and @Ranching knows this better than anyone of us, locker room chemistry is a huge factor in a teams success. Jaylon was complaining about playing time which was a distraction and was probably causing animosity with the young guys and the new guys.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
After this season, Diggs will make it 5.

Diggs is closer in play style to Night Train Lane than he is to Deion.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said it over and over again until I'm blue in the face and @Ranching knows this better than anyone of us, locker room chemistry is a huge factor in a teams success. Jaylon was complaining about playing time which was a distraction and was probably causing animosity with the young guys and the new guys.
You got that right....I can forgive a lot, just don't mess with the locker room.....that's where it gets real.